OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo
  1. ANNOUNCEMENT: Major boost to web-site performance!

Read about it here! Also, please consider donating to the server costs in the Special July 2014 goal.

Especially you, Guest. I've been told you weren't sure how you could donate.

A Game of Thrones - HBO Series

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Mindslayer, May 6, 2009.

1. Mindslayer

Mindslayer Best in the Biz

Well, after a couple of years of speculation its official: HBO has officially greenlit the pilot for George R..R Martin's fantasy epic A Song of Ice and Fire. If it gets picked up for a series HBO will then dedicate a full season to each book, which is the smart move, for a number of reasons that fans of the books will understand. Anyway, casting is underway for A Game of Thrones (which is the title of the first book and probably the fist season).
    Peter Dinklage has been cast as Tyrion, a great character from the books :

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/05/peter-dinklage-plays-game-of-thrones-for-hbo.html

Anyway, I know the pilot and potentially the series may be a ways off yet, but its never to early to start discussion and speculation.
  2. Aizazzle

Aizazzle I always have a plan

Peter Dinklage signing on to play Tyrion Lannister is pretty much perfect casting. As I was reading the series, Dinklage, was Tyrion. I have been looking forward to this day ever since I read A Song of Ice and Fire book series.

The series itself is so great, I doubt I can adequately put into words how epic and awesome it really is. The first four books had somewhere upwards of 4,000 pages, and I flew through them in two and a half weeks.

A Song of Ice and Fire is a series of award winning epic fantasy novels (4 to date) and 3 more to come. The last book reached the #1 spot on the NYT bestseller list, and it has sold over 2.2 million copies in the US.

Time magazine called GRRM "the American Tolkien", and that title is well-deserved, since A Song of Ice and Fire is the most darkest, realistic and grittiest fantasy series ever written. It has r*pe, incest, pedophilia, and several other dark themes. It might be defined as epic fantasy, but don't expect a lot of magic. It's more of a political thriller disguised as epic fantasy. It's based on the Medieval Period, and inspired by the War of the Roses.

The world of Westeros and beyond is built masterfully with its own extensive history and religion or religions. However, the best part of the series are the characters. Make no mistake, A Song of Ice and Fire, is a character driven epic. Oh and what characters they are, some of the most realistic, beloved, witty, cunning, honorable characters ever written. Some of the characters stand out like Tyrion, the Kingslayer, Eddard, Tywin, the Hound, Robert, and my personal favorite Littlefinger. However, I would also advise you to be careful, because GRRM is absolutely ruthless with his characters. The world and characters are tied up in a stellar plot. To avoid spoiling any of it, I won't go into details, but here is the gist.

For those of you who haven't read the books, I will give you some free advice. Drop any or everything you are doing, and acquire a Game of Thrones. Trust me you will not be disappointed. In fact, you will soon be picking up A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, and A Feast for Crows.

My hope is that HBO does it justice. The plan for one season per book is a great one, even if I think 13 episodes might not be enough to fit one of Martin's books. They also need an excellent cast for the characters in the books.

Kevin McKidd as Jaime Lannister would be a perfect fit. I don't know if it's possible with his work on Grey's Anatomy, but I think McKidd was born to play the Kingslayer.

Ray Stevenson would fit a couple of characters like the Hound or even King Robert Baratheon. He is relatively free, so he might be attainable.

Ian McShane would also be able to play a number characters. In my opinion, he would fit in well as Tywin Lannister. McShane might be available, since Kings isn't about to be renewed. He also has a prior relationship with HBO, which could count for something.

Casting the Stark children is going to be a bitch. More than likely, they will need to change actors for the second season except Jon Snow or Robb Stark.
  3. Mindslayer

Yea, the younger Starks could be a problem, but once they get past the first book they should be good for a while. Im not positive but Im pretty sure the first four books only cover a couple of years at the most.

Kevin McKidd is an interesting choice for Jamie Lannister, one that I hadnt previously considered before. Could be a good one, too, considering
    the dramatic changes that occur with the character over the course of the series where he turns from a full on heel to an enemy to his sister and the Lannisters, at least as of AFFC

Aizizzle is correct, these books are fuckin amazing (BTW, great summation of the series, dude) . If you havent read A Game of Thrones yet pick it up in paperback. You defintiely wont regret it.
  4. blackout-

blackout- Mr F!

have been re-reading this series from the start over the past month or so, about 600pages thru storm of swords... think i might hold off on feast for crows till dance with dragons is (hopefully) released in September or October.

awesome series, im just afraid that hbo will cancel it if it does eventually get picked up after like 2 seasons =(

there are tons of personal casting sites for this series... have been for years heh.
  5. blackout-

blackout- Mr F!

oh and i always pictured Tywin Lannister as Pete Postlethwaite... bald with some huge golden sideburns they talk about in the books.

[media]http://www.greenrewards.co.uk/Images/products/FINAL%20PRODUCT%20IMAGES/pete_postlethwaite.jpg[/media]
  6. dolemyte

dolemyte Tiger = Wesley Pipes

Great series of books. I do wish MArtin would hurry up and release the next fucking one.

Most important casting choices IMO: The Lannister twins, Tyrion, Rob (has to be young, but believable considering what he goes through), Arya (again young, but can't be annoying), Varys.

People who read the book will know why i didn't choose other characters
  7. Jables2002

Jables2002 Breaking Down The 8th Wall

Never heard of it. Sounds interesting.
  8. blackout-

blackout- Mr F!

one more critical casting choice I'd say-

Daenerys

has to be young also... able to play 13 but grow up fast.
  9. dolemyte

dolemyte Tiger = Wesley Pipes

Good point. She probably goes through the most, arguably.
  10. Mindslayer

Does anyone here watch In Treatment ? I think that the young actress who played Sophie last season could potentially be a good choice for Dany. The girl who played her is an exceptional actress and was arguably one of the best things about the show last season. Personally I thought that she showed alot of range in weekly 'sessions'

Anyway, this link to imdb provides a few pics :

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1985859/
  11. Budyzir

Budyzir There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.

Another series of books to add to my Amazon list.
  12. Mindslayer

Out of all of the books that I recommended to you A Game of Thrones is the first one you should pick up.
  13. Budyzir

Budyzir There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.

And so noted. Thanks!
  14. blackout-

blackout- Mr F!

never heard of her but she defiantly has the right look...
  15. Aizazzle

I consider his redemptive arc to be a shame, because Jaime's best scenes are when he reverts back to the Kingslayer. The end of ACoK when Catelyn decides to interview was absolutely classic. He was a complete badass even as he was locked up in solitary confinement for months.

One of my favorite moments, in the series, was when he fucks Cersei at the altar, as Joffrey's dead body lies nearby. There are so many things wrong in that situation that it could be nothing but pure awesomeness. This situation was also vintage Kingslayer.

Jaime's best lines are also when he is the Kingslayer. I remember the moment where I realized that A Song of Ice and Fire was going to be different than everythiing else out there. It was also the moment I got hooked. The line was the famous "The things I do for love". There is also the line where Jaime offer's to send Edmure's kid back to him on a fucking trebuchet. All these are when Jaime embraces the Kingslayer, which is why I consider his redemptive arc to be a shame.

Thanks, I tried my best to define how excellent this series really is. It just so happened that it turned out to be great.

Let me preface this by saying, I don't watch In Treatment. She seems to be of the right look (age and face) wise. I would prefer someone with more experience, since Daenerys' has 1/3 of the storyline dedicated to her. She might be one of those make or break characters for the ordinary HBO viewer, so whoever plays her better be a damn good (and hot) actress.
  16. Plunkies

Plunkies Registered User

Neat. I've had A Game of Thrones on my books to read if I ever get around to buying them list for quite some time. Maybe if I hold out a little longer I can just watch it.
  17. Mindslayer

Trust me, read at least the first book before the series starts. Its such a rich, satisfying read and you'll be better served knowing alot of the characters firsthand before the series starts (unless you want to be completely surprised, of course).
  18. blackout-

blackout- Mr F!

it will be strange that a huge number of major character roles won't show up at all in the pilot, wonder if that will have an impact on the hbo suits...

i'm guessing the pilot will cover everything up to ned leaving south as the hand with the girls and jon snow heading to the wall
  19. Mindslayer

Im guessing that HBO will most likely pick up the show for at least one season before the pilot is finished. History has shown that they will usually give a show a full season right off the bat.
  20. Aizazzle

I just found this website which keeps track of all the news and rumors when it comes to Game Of Thrones.

http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/
  21. Mindslayer

Thanks. Saved the link and will be checking that site regularly for updates.
  22. Kugzilla

Kugzilla Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.

x2000. Best Fantasy SEries out there, and I"ve read most/all of them.

I am so stoked.
  23. Aizazzle

From the script that has been leaked online, the pilot ends with Jaime's "The things I do for love". I think it's a brilliant ending point, but a great/terrible cliffhanger for those who aren't familiar with the books.

I can honestly say that, A Song of Ice and Fire, is the greatest fantasy series out there. People call Martin the American Tolkien, I say he is much better than Tolkien ever was. Tolkien established the genre, Martin has refined into something respectable. Martin has obliterated most fantasy cliches in his series, and created characters that actually feel real. He doesn't rely on the fantasy elements, merely uses them to create an atmosphere of suspense and fear. Martin's style has also brought forth a new wave of great fantasy writers such as Scott Lynch who wrote an excellent debut, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Joe Abercombie and a couple more. The impact that this series and Martin have had can't be measured,
  24. Kugzilla

Kugzilla Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.

I agree, and perhaps most importantly for those of us who read this stuff, Martin is not afraid to kill a character off, and keep them dead.

Without spoiling anything, there are moments that legitametely shocked me as a reader. I'll leave it at that. If you're interested enough to read this kind of thread, get the books.
  25. Aizazzle

Yeah, I didn't think Ned would be a head shorter by the end of the first book. By all indications, he was the main character, and Cersei had offered him the Wall. He let go of his honor and confessed, and then all of sudden Joff commands his head to be taken off. That's the most surprised I had been in a while, while reading a book.

Renly's death was a surprise too. I figured the Lannisters would hang on to the throne for a while, with Tyrion and Cersei being in King's Landing. I thought Stannis and Renly would sufficiently damage each other, so whoever walked out would be fucked. Then, all of sudden Renly gets his throat slit, and a shitload of his army comes over to Stannis.

Joff's death was a big shock too. I figured he would be the Lannister claimant to the throne. That was until Littlefinger and the Tyrells fucked him in his throat. I just want to say, Littlefinger, might be the smartest motherfucker out of all, and I want him to sit the Iron Throne at the end.

The worst one was the Red Wedding. That one was hard to take. I hated Catelyn, but Robb was awesome. I actually put the book down for a couple of minutes, because I was pissed at Robb's death.