OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo
  1. ANNOUNCEMENT: Major boost to web-site performance!

Read about it here! Also, please consider donating to the server costs in the Special July 2014 goal.

Especially you, Guest. I've been told you weren't sure how you could donate.

A Potential Opie & Anthony Podcast

Discussion in 'Opie And A̶n̶t̶h̶o̶n̶y̶ General Discussion' started by djeter220, Apr 4, 2012.

1. djeter220

djeter220 User that is Registered.

Although it's come up as a possible destination after their contract is up this Fall, I personally do not believe the boys will make the move podcasting.

Although Opie has seemed to be drawn by the allure of suit-free radio, if you notice every time he mentions not resigning with SiriusXM, he leaves himself the out by mentioning "if things don't change" like he did two years ago.

With Ant, while he's expressed unhappiness with management, I cannot recall him ever mentioning his intentions for when the contract is up. It wouldn't surprise me if he had no interest in leaving SXM, resigning for the steady paycheck, and keeping up LFTC to have the best of both worlds.

As a listener of many podcasts, mostly those of the comedian friends of the show, I'm wondering what an O&A podcast would be like. Opie seems to be in love with the idea of "an hour a week", but many once-a-week podcasts are supplementary to the person's real career (i.e. stand up) and have a certain theme and direction.

Even if it never happens, I would be interested to see what creative ideas the boys had and what direction they would take in a new medium. What are your guys' thoughts on an O&A podcast?

::
  2. Gonzoid

Gonzoid The Tenacious T-Bagger

My thinking is that this is 75% negotiating tactic and 25% legit opportunity. They have said before they had absolutely no leverage on their last deal and it bit them in the ass. Alot of their comedian friends are doing these podcasts with some decent subs so that avenue does exist. However, I cannot imagine them (espec Ant) walking away from a 7 figure deal to do a weekly podcast. I think that if Sirius gives them one or two concessions (live video feed, one or tow marketing thinsg) they will re-sign.

This could change if they somehow figure a way to charge for the podcast (maybe $1/per show...one per week) then maybe they can make some real equivalent cake. 200,000 listeners spending $1/week...that could be $10MM a year.

I would hate it b/c I have large sales territory to cover and I am always in the car. While I download a lot of podcasts, I love the immediacy of live radio to keep me occupied on long drives. Would suck to me if they were no longer on the air.
  3. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious. Donator

I think they'll part ways when the show is done on Sirius. Was a great run, but that's about it. Ant will do the LFTC for a good while, and Op will do something random. I don't see an OnA Podcast happening.
  4. Crooklyn Jigger

Crooklyn Jigger Registered User

An Opie podcast would be.....rough. He's just not an interesting or creative guy, maybe he used to be, but certainly not anymore.

Anthony is funny, creative, interesting and certainly has the technical know how to produce a great podcast, but he doesn't have the business sense to make it profitable.

So far it seems like the only guy having a lot of success (popular & profitable) is Adam Carolla. He's a lot like Anthony in many ways, but he also has a relentless work ethic and he's very business savvy.
  5. Josh_R

Josh_R Well-Known Member Donator

I don't see it happening, either. Jimmy has said, seriously, that he is working on an idea and I really wonder what it is. If it was just a regular old podcast, he wouldn't have been all secretive about it. I wonder if he is working on developing a tv show or something. If it is something new and innovative, I would be all for giving it a chance. I can't imagine a once a week podcast lasting more than a few months, though. If the boys split up and only see each other once a week, they will grow apart and be even less compatible than they have become over the years.
  6. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter. Donator

I don't enjoy Anthony's show. It always seems like a disjointed mess and I lose interest quick. Opie is the navigator of the show.
  7. Palaver

Palaver But Enough Of This

They're not going anywhere. Opie will sign whatever contract Sirius puts in front of him no matter how much he whines. If Sirius were to fire them I think Ant and Opie would go their own way. I don't see Opie going over to Ants basement to do a once a week podcast and I only see Ant doing a podcast until he finds a new gig.
  8. djeter220

Although I don't enjoy Anthony's podcast, I've found over the past couple of years that the I've enjoyed the show the most when one person is on vacation. Part of it is the guests they have on like Ronnie or Jay Mohr, but another part is the laid back feel that comes with it.
  9. LiddyRules

LiddyRules Mr. Sarcasm is The Answer to Everything Donator

Oh. This again.
  10. paffa2

paffa2 Registered User

They'll be back in October, with a shittier contract, and crow will not be eaten. Podcast is just something you do, instead of talk about, regardless of monetary gain.
  11. Dicktator

Dicktator I Cancelled my XM Donator

The idea of only once per week really sucks. I just don't ever see them walking away for a podcast when even though their fan base is not going to increase while on Sat radio it's still a pretty good gig. When they complain (except for the video portion) about their hardships doing a 4 hour show it's annoying, I fucking hate work too.
  12. djeter220

I don't agree with them when they insist that a radio show needs a visual element. A large percentage of people listening are driving anyway. When Anthony does simulcasts they're awesome, but I don't think a morning talk radio show needs a live video feed.
  13. Taint Stench

Taint Stench #shredding

I wouldn't mind an opie podcast, maybe an all beach shitting show or the choade hour.

Well if they don't resign, I'm getting rid of all but one radio, I'll keep the one in my car for liquid metal and soul town.
  14. Pigdango

Pigdango Piles of Revenge Donator

It would almost be a relief at this point if they didn't resign. I truly never expected them to fade away like this.
  15. Taint Stench

Taint Stench #shredding

I'm not a hater i just turn that dial as soon as I hear the words "suits" "lawyers" or "Obama".

I just want to laugh, that is all.
  16. LiddyRules

LiddyRules Mr. Sarcasm is The Answer to Everything Donator

I want to know what the goal is when they do their "we signed our contract, but we didn't want to" gimmick. Are we supposed to sympathize with them? Feel bad for them? Get angry at management for them? Do they think they're coming across as heroes in that situation?
  17. Pigdango

I really don't think there is a goal, other than to come in at 6ish, fill 4 hours of airtime, and leave. Bitching about their bosses/work environment isn't a new time filling tactic - they've done it as far back as I can remember, which is the old NEW days. What IS different is they used to sometimes turn it into a funny bit. One example I can think of is when they played the Benny Hill music and read the entire list of things they weren't allowed to say on CBS. Now there's very little humor or even attempt at humor. Opie or Jimmy say their peace while Ant tunes out until they are finished.

Having bosses that don't get what you're trying to accomplish is something that a lot of their listeners can relate to - but nobody wants to really hear it if they're not going to at least try to inject a little humor into the situation. We know it's ridiculous - show us HOW it's ridiculous and then use humor to make it MORE ridiculous.
  18. CaffeeDiva

CaffeeDiva Registered User

Well, for one they've lost touch. Two, any conflict is good as far as they're concerned. It's about filling hours.

I never realized how bad things were until I started listening to old shows again. The show has some things to offer, but they need to get their heads out of their asses. They were right when the fans would pick them apart back in the day. In fact, the fans were so embarrassing I'm almost ashamed to be one, and I had no "rank" in the "Pest Army" *cringe*.

They have no power with the company. When the suits can actually program the show by demanding O&A stop bringing in their stand-up comic friends regularly, then management has effectively cut their balls off. I mean, really? I'm surprised that wasn't more of an issue here when it happened or brought up on the show. That's beyond bad equipment or generally shitty management. That's the lines that they swore they'd never have to cross again.
  19. Pigdango

I think you really hit on something there - They're not able to make these bits work anymore because there isn't any conflict. For all their whining, O&A have generally accepted the terms they're being forced to work under. They don't abuse guests. They don't push the limits on the rules, and they won't even name the people they are bitching about, much less get them on the phone or in studio to discuss their complaints. So while they are doing quite a bit of complaining, there really is no actual conflict. Not with the bosses, not with Howard or any other shows, not with the guests, not with the callers - nothing.
  20. cheese3119

cheese3119 Spread the Virus!

nobody cares about adam corolla and he has to go out and do comedy shows on the weekend just to make any money podcasting. the bbboys are completely different and could make millions a month doing the podcast. 1,000,000 listerners at $25 a month would be 25 million a month, plus whatever ads they would be able to sell on top of that.
  21. Pigdango

The only thing sad about this is that we're down to one cheese post every 5 months now. Still, while he's approaching fenrir territory in terms of productivity, he still makes them count.
  22. oldmandick

oldmandick The show was so much better ... Donator

The goal is to get the entire posting population so enraged that the LT tops out at twenty-five pages of molten lava every day.
  23. cheese3119

cheese3119 Spread the Virus!

i apologize i just couldn't take the bashing of opie's tweets anymore. the man goes out of his way to provide free content to us on twitter when he doesn't even have to and you guys shit on him for it.
  24. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello. Donator

You, sir, are orbiting planet Bobo. I dont pay $25 now, why would I pay more for something they care even less about?

Oh wait, you are Opie. Or bobo. Im hoping bobo, but you didnt have enough spelling errors.
  25. oldmandick

oldmandick The show was so much better ... Donator

Geezus cheese! Take your meds and lie down in a dark place. Now.