Android phones

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by VMS, Feb 16, 2011.

1. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Ok, I know there are a lot of phone-specific threads on this board, but I'm more looking at the overall picture and I'm too fucking lazy to look in each Android phone's specific thread to find the info.

Right now I'm looking at a Samsung Epic 4G as an upgrade from my Palm Pre. The next generation of software pretty much deep-sixes Classic, which means all the old Palm apps will no longer work with the Pre 3 and the Veer, so it's time to switch horses.

That said, some of the reviews I've seen for the Epic say that it's "stuck" at Android 2.1 software. The reviewers are alternately calling for Samsung and for Sprint to update the software. So....

Are Android phones on different software packages? Is there some reason why one phone has the most updated Android software, and you can't get it for another one that might be newer? What's the story on this?

As best as I can tell, Android is more of a framework than a specific package of software, and everyone can hang what they want on that framework. Which is cool. In theory. Do you Android users have issues with that?

I'm really hoping the avoid an iPhone. For one, I'm on Sprint and I don't like the idea of AT&T/Verizon's phony "unlimited" data plans, and I'm a pretty heavy data user. Sprint's data plan is cheaper and is really unlimited, which works for me.
  2. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy. Donator

Basically the manufactures decide if and when a software update will be released, and then the service provider could possibly hold it up also. Basically HTC is the best when it comes to updates and Motorola is second. Read this article, it will explain the situation.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17649/android_upgrades
  3. mightydh

mightydh Registered User

I have the Epic. Don't get one if you ever want it updated. GPS still doesn't work well after their latest patch. We have been promised 2.2 for 3 months now and nothing. But god damn - this screen blows everything else away.

I would hold off for any HTC device because HTC actually updates their shit. Samsung lost a customer in me in the future. I will never buy another Samsung phone because of the software update situation.
  4. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy. Donator

I have the HTC Incredible over at Verizon and holy fuck did they win a loyal customer. They are very good at releasing updates within a couple of months of getting them.
  5. VMS

I've also been looking at the HTC EVO Shift 4G with Sprint, but I just like the hardware with the Epic better.

I guess I'm going to wait for HTC to come out with something with the same kind of hardware, or wait for Samsung to get their shit together. I'm not in a hurry anyway: I'm waiting for PocketMoney to reach v1.1 before I pull the trigger on this.
  6. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!! Donator

check xda-developers.net to see if a phone you want is rooted, get phone, root, load in custom ROM and enjoy :)
  7. mightydh

mightydh Registered User

8. moviemogul

moviemogul Well-Known Member Donator

Ant HTC will be rootable, they don't lock the bootloader. I have the VZW Incredible, and it fucking rules
  9. Klaus

Klaus Registered User

The Samsung phones are great spec wise but yeah software updates are way behind. Currently, they are stuck on 2.1. For Sprint get the EVO or the EVO shift if you want a keyboard. I have the Verizon Incredible which is basically a EVO but smaller. I rooted it and run Android 2.3 on it flawlessly. Testing out a Droid X right now but with the locked bootloader etc its pretty much stuck on stock with only a few ROMs available. If you can stand T Mobile they have the Nexus S that is probably the best Android phone because it's stock Android (until all the new dual core phones come out starting next week).
  10. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

What's coming out next week?
  11. Jef Leppard

Jef Leppard 4/5 ths

what hardware specifically? my gf has an epic and the only better about it is the screen is nicer. otherwise its another flimsy plasticy samsung phone. samsung has never been a favorite among smart phone users primarily based on hardware. i would wait til the summertime and see whats next to come out before getting anything
  12. blazin

blazin Hi!! Who's theeeeeis? Donator

i like my evo, seemed big at first but now its very comfortable in my hand.
  13. VMS

I like the front camera, the display, and as best as I can tell the processor (though I'm still wading through to get a better handle on that stuff).

I'm in the early stages yet. I only really decided a couple of days ago that I'm probably going Android (and even that's equivocal), so I'm scouting out the landscape.

I'm looking for the best Sprint Android phone I can get with a physical keyboard. Needs to run a good book reading program (which shouldn't be hard), Pocketmoney now that it's out for Android (is PM a 2.2+ app?- can't find that info), and other than that everything else should be pretty easy in terms of apps. But I'm a go-for-the-10 kind of guy and am willing to wait a few months if there's something really good in the pipeline.
  14. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

That's what she said.
  15. Jef Leppard

Jef Leppard 4/5 ths

unless the screen size is a factor id say go evo shift. the only thing the epic has that evo doesnt is a keyboard. the shift however i believe doesnt have a front camera and is smaller in size, supposedly faster then the other 2 also

and i dont know what pocketmoney is
  16. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Wackbag's Charlie Hustle Donator

This. There's already custom rom's that run Froyo 2.2 over there on the Epic.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=713

If I were you though I'd go with the EVO Shift. Smartphone makers are really shying away from physical keyboards, so new releases on those are going to be few and far between. If that front facing camera is a must have, you're going to have to decide what you want more, the keyboard or the camera.
  17. VMS

It's a checkbook registry program. Let's you keep track of your bank account(s) on your device, not on the cloud.
  18. Jef Leppard

Jef Leppard 4/5 ths

ahhh ok. i might look into that thanks
  19. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Just an FYI, AT&T is going back to truly unlimited data plans in the very near future. I wouldn't expect them to advertise it much, but basically the average user on AT&T uses a ridiculously small amount of data so they finally figured out that it actually makes more money in the long run to suck it up on the super-users.

My cousin works at AT&T, they've had meetings about it and officially announced it to employees, not an internet rumor..
  20. VMS

The current version for the iPhone, and the 1.1 version that'll eventually come out for Android, will sync via WiFi with a desktop version.

Here is the company's website.

Boy Genius Report says the Samsung Epic should be getting Froyo starting the 21st, which is good. But after checking out the hardware in person today at a few locations, I see what a previous poster said about cheap feeling Samsung products. The HTC Evo Shift really does feel more substantial, which I like.

Does anyone have resources on what upcoming phones are looking like? I know cellphones often only have a very short announce time before they're actually released, but if anyone has a site that has that kind of info, I'd like to hear about it.

Which is fine, but Sprint is still the cheapest of the major carriers (well maybe T-Mobile is cheaper, but they have shit reception in my area) and the iPhone still doesn't have a physical keyboard. I have an iPod Touch, so I basically have an iPhone without the "bad" part. I can't stand the virtual keyboard. It's too slow for me, and it frustrates me to no end. I can hit 100 wpm with a full sized computer keyboard, and I can get a significant fraction of that even with the tiny-ass thumb keyboard on the Pre. With a little practice, I should do better with the size of keyboards Android phones are sporting (those that have them). I don't see doing that with the iPhone's virtual keyboard.
  21. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

Oh, I agree to go with the Droids coming out now over the iPhone 4, I'm ditching mine as soon as some mind-blowing Droid gets me off my ass to do so, just saying AT&T could still be an option for you with the new phones they're coming out with very soon. I had Sprint for years, and it was fine as long as I was in the middle of a major city, but being in the oil business I really need AT&T's bigger network.

Oh well, glad your thread's getting some action from the Droid users, I'm learning which direction I'll be going in soon.
  22. VMS

On the routes I drive, Sprint works great for me. I'm usually back and forth between Harrisburg and Philly, and trips down I-81 to Blacksburg, VA, down US-15/I-270 to DC, and up I-81/I-78 to NYC. On all those routes, I'm golden with Sprint.

For my purposes, Sprint gets excellent coverage and the cost makes a big difference. Since the Android phones are pretty universally available between carriers (with a few exceptions, of course), the phone probably won't sway me from one service to the next. And Sprint is in 3rd place, which makes them hungry and makes them work harder for me.
  23. RobeSoup&Tears

RobeSoup&Tears Get 'em while they're hot

Me use Droid X by Motorola...I has awesome.
  24. RobeSoup&Tears

RobeSoup&Tears Get 'em while they're hot

Android Forums has a channel on YouTube that have open box and advance features given but (for the most part) tech savvy easily explained features.

In other words you don't have to worry about reading...once you don't like what you see (design, speaker, etc.) move on to the next one.

For what it's worth...I'm with Verizon and the Motorola Bionic coming mid year is the only reason to wait...if you don't want to then the HTC Incredible or Droid X by Motorola are the most gooder units.

I'm looking into the Motorola XOOM...it's a Google tablet running Honeycomb...the specs look sick.
    [video=youtube;D7zheLybA-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7zheLybA-Q[/video]

10.1-inch widescreen HD (1280×800) display
    4G LTE upgradeable
    1080p HD video support
    HDMI output
    Adobe Flash Player support
    Front-facing 2-megapixel camera for video chats over Wi-Fi or 3G/4G LTE
    Rear-facing 5-megapixel camera that captures video in 720p HD.
    “Console-like gaming performance”
    Built-in gyroscope, barometer, e-compass, accelerometer and adaptive lighting
    Google Maps 5.0 with 3D interaction
    Mobile hotspot capability for up to five Wi-Fi-enabled devices
  25. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter. Donator

You might want to read the Xoom thread before you get all excited.