Anybody score a $99/$149 HP Touchpad?

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by blazin, Aug 20, 2011.

1. blazin

blazin Hi!! Who's theeeeeis? Donator

I did!

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3220862

Just picked a 16GB up for $99.99 at my local MicroCenter.

Ive used the Palm Pre/Pixi, so I know WebOS and actually like it. I'll use it as is until the devs port Android over to it.

Deal of the century I say, considering it was $499.99 two weeks ago!
  2. JimsInfectedEye

JimsInfectedEye That's very hurtful, sir.

Eh, I went to 6 local stores - not a single one would honor the deal - or if they had them in stock, they wouldn't honor the deal.

I saw this on google trends and tried looking everywhere, and it was gone by 10AM.
  3. Aaron Burrito

Aaron Burrito 2-14

Didn't they just scrap WebOS?
  4. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Super Moderator Wackbag Staff

Yeah, that's the reason for the sell off.

I don't think there's any left on the market.

They sold out very quickly.
  5. blazin

HP is still hanging on to WebOS, but they are scraping the line.. Not sure what that means.

WebOS is limited app-wise, but very capable OS. So even if WebOS is dead, the tablet is still perfectly functional as is for web, email, couch surfing.
  6. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo Donator

I've been looking everywhere and coming up empty handed. I hear some Walmarts still might have them in stock...though you can no longer check to see if they're in stock online, which sucks. I'm thinking maybe the Walmarts in less populated areas might be the best chance.
  7. bigtobacco

bigtobacco Corey Feldman is Hurting...

Got a 32 for me and a 16 as a gift for my parents. Got them from a rural Wal-Mart this at around seven morning. They were not listed for the sale, however I showed the walmart site to the cashier and she put it through. Lucky I got a good cashier who was willing to question the automated pricing system.

There were three 32 gigs left in the case and one 16 that someone called in for. I was tempted to buy the other ones to sell off, but wasn't sure how that would work out for me in the end and didn't want to be an asshole with them anyway.

So far I like it quite a bit. The speakers kick ass. The only thing I miss is no Netflix app.
  8. blazin

Sad this sell off is the most popular thing to happen with WebOS & HP's aquisition of Palm.

Maybe this is a strategic fire sale? Now that these are in the hands of a hell of alot of more people, they will see what an otherwise unknown operating system is and become more popular.

I think WebOS is better design than Android. But there's no development, so it's stale.

Hard to believe HP spent $1.2 billion dollars to shitcan it all in under a year.
  9. ProflyerXM

ProflyerXM Not an attention seeker

I think you are right on it being a strategic move to generate intrest in the platform. I checked every electronics store in a 200 mile radius and not a one was in stock. The best buy people said they sent them all back to HP a while ago which leads me to believe HP told them about the deal and BB didn't want to eat the difference in price. A couple of other people at different stores I called said they hadn't received new shipments in more than a month which leads me to believe HP let their supply get low then created this flurry to get public interest.

I still don't know what to think about the whole tablet fad. I would have liked to get my hands on one cheap just to see how I'd end up using it or if it would just get relegated to the "that was cool" bin.
  10. Begbie

They're already popping up on ebay for about $120 + $6 shipping. Like this one.
  11. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy. Donator

I'm of the same mentality. I have a shitty convertible Windows 7 Asus tablet/netbook I bought two years ago to read textbooks on, and at the time it was pretty cool but touch response blows next to Android/iPad tablets.

I've caught myself with the mouse hovering over the "Buy" button a couple of times for the Asus Transformer. It's nice because you can pickup a detachable keyboard which doubles the battery life, has 2 USB ports and a SD port. Bluetooth, wireless, and wired mouses are all supported, as are external hard drives.

So basically it's an android netbook or tablet. $400 for 16GB, $130 or so for keyboard. I just can't think of when I'll need it. I don't travel all that much anymore, and when I do it's often to places with no electricity. Basically travel is the only benefit I can see in one. I have a 17" laptop, the 8.5" Asus netbook/tablet, a Droid Incredible, and a Kindle already.

Greg Gutfeld put it best by comparing tablets to sporks. You already have spoons and forks, but if you're going to be in a situation where you know one is necessary but the other might not be, you bring a spork just to be safe.
  12. Begbie

I missed out on the ebay deal by about 1 minute...fuckin lost my PayPal password. That seller had about 6,300 and they sold out in about 15 minutes. HP says they're out of stock, yet not out of stock on their small business site...which is what I'm trying to do now...I've made it all the way to the "Submit Order" and now it's just loading and loading and loading. Fuck.

Edit: I think I got it. I'm not sure...HP gave me a confirmation number, said order was processing, then I got some Out of Memory bullshit. ho boy

Edit #2: Got it. It's a bitch, but if you reload the pages enough times, you can get it through the HP Small Business site. They sure do bend you over on shipping though, wowsirs!
  13. blazin

How much? Im looking for 2 more for gf and friend
  14. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ I'm a Black Ninja, Fuckface! Donator

Just shot off an email to a buddy of mine at CDW that my hospital does business with, hope they still have a couple tucked away for family & friends....
  15. Begbie

$198 for 2...like $13 in tax...and $36 shipping...so about $250.

An HP rep on Twitter is saying HP is entirely out of stock...including their Small Business site...yet there's a glitch that's allowing people to purchase them online. So I don't know what's going on. She said they're going to have more Monday, so I'm certainly hoping when they get more, they'll fullfill these orders they've got outstanding due to this glitch.
  16. Larz

Larz ****Self-Banned****

Apparently best buy did a 180 and started selling these at liquidation price. That must explain why my local store was so packed, I just went in there to grab an external drive and was like wtf is going on with the crowds?
  17. Begbie

I saw one in stock at the Best Buy up the street from me...which is now closed.

I'm beginning to worry about the ones I bought off HP's Small Business store. My card hasn't been charged yet, no confirmation email, nothing.
  18. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath Donator

I wonder how soon the novelty will wear off and these will be dumped on ebay. Additionally, I wonder how many people bought them a week ago at full price and are kicking themselves for it (unless their store honors a price adjustment).
  19. Begbie

It surfs the net and plays media...so it's, buy a $500 iPad to surf and play media or buy a $100 HP to surf and play media.

And I've been reading that, since HP is significantly dropping the price and clearing this product out, they're going to offer a price adjustment to all previous TouchPad owners.
  20. Larz

Larz ****Self-Banned****

ordered a 16 gb off Amazon, came out to $115.

I assume theres no way to upgrade the memory on these?
  21. blazin

i got 2 more from Amazon from seller OnSale. $208.xx for 2-16GB models.

One for girlfriend (so she wont use mine) and another for a buddy for sunday sports.

To those that are getting them, make sure you do a system update first. Mine came with WebOS 3.0, but 3.02 has significant fixes and it runs a lot better!
  22. JoeyDVDZ

So how are you guys getting the clearance price? All the amazon sites I see are asking $300 plus.
  23. JimsInfectedEye

JimsInfectedEye That's very hurtful, sir.

Yeah, same here, I'm all over and I don't see it anywhere discounted now.
  24. JoeyDVDZ

25. Begbie

I was able to score a 16GB on Amazon's lightning deals today...it lasted all of 2 minutes. They then had another lightning deal for the 32GB, which I wanted more than the 16GB...but, oh well.

I purchased two from HP's Small Business site on Saturday evening, and I'm technically on backorder. @BrynaAtHP works for HP and is trying to give updates on the status of these orders on backorder. She plainly states that they're expecting a bunch to come in from their warehouse and they will fulfill as many orders as possible...on a first come, first serve basis. But she noted that some on backorder might still get their orders cancelled since they're not making any more and only have limited stock.

I've been following the thread on the Slickdeals forum (which has gotten well over 6 million views this weekend over this), and that's how I was able to get the Amazon deal.