OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo
  1. ANNOUNCEMENT: Major boost to web-site performance!

Read about it here! Also, please consider donating to the server costs in the Special July 2014 goal.

Especially you, Guest. I've been told you weren't sure how you could donate.

Arduino. Anybody?

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by Shootr, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!! Donator

I'm an electronics rookie, but man these things look so cool. I'm ordering up an UNO beginners kit to get started and an Electronics For Dummies ebook to start figuring out what the different components do.

Just wondering if anyone else ever has messed with these.
  2. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered User

Not yet. I've been considering it for some time. What programming language does it use?
  3. Shootr

Shootr OOHHH, GNARLY!!! Donator

I think it is proprietary to the system, but based on C++?

Cross-platform - The Arduino software runs on Windows, Macintosh OSX, and Linux operating systems. Most microcontroller systems are limited to Windows.

Simple, clear programming environment - The Arduino programming environment is easy-to-use for beginners, yet flexible enough for advanced users to take advantage of as well. For teachers, it's conveniently based on the Processing programming environment, so students learning to program in that environment will be familiar with the look and feel of Arduino

Open source and extensible software- The Arduino software and is published as open source tools, available for extension by experienced programmers. The language can be expanded through C++ libraries, and people wanting to understand the technical details can make the leap from Arduino to the AVR C programming language on which it's based. SImilarly, you can add AVR-C code directly into your Arduino programs if you want to.

I've never written any programming before, but this seems like an ideal platform to learn a lot of different things at once. Electronics, programming, prototyping, etc.
  4. weeniewawa

weeniewawa I'm just a big dummy Donator

Twitter:
    weeniewawa
    I have a couple I got to build an electronic RFID door lock, just have not had the time to do it