Comcast Aftermarket Cable Box

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by ruckstande, Dec 2, 2008.

1. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter. Donator

We have Comcast Digital Cable in our house with one cable box. All of the other TV's get the basic cable channels. My question is can I purchase an aftermarket box? If so, where can I get them and which one? I've never seen anyone purchase one so I have no idea if this is an option. I know you can buy your own cable modem so why not cable box?
  2. jpc165

jpc165 Through the Fire and Flames

If you buy your own cable modem, you still have to call comcast and give them the new MAC address so they can register it on their network. I think the digital cable boxes sort of work the same way. A box is registered to you so you can get on demand, purchase PPV, etc. and its charged to your address. All of this is done through the box so there is communication going back to comcast from your validated legit cable box.

Don't think you can buy an non official comcast box.

My brother ran up a $1000 plus bill and never returned the digital box. I am pretty sure if that thing got hooked up, it would probably not work anymore.

Where the cable pros round these parts? Comment please..
  3. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Right-Wing Radical Wackbag Staff

4. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast Donator

I saw a few of them on Ebay, but none of the sellers guarantee compatability.

I called up Time Warner because I was thinking of going to FIOS and they reduced my HD Dual Tuner DVR box down to $7 a month. Considering it would take two and a half years to pay it off if I bought one for $200, and how fast technology changes, I figure renting is better anyway.

If you want to take a chance, pick up one of the $50-$100 boxes off Ebay. I'd definitely ask for a serial number and a model number and call Comcast to verify it wasn't stolen and that it will be compatible.
    http://shop.ebay.com/items/__comcas...53A1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ_sopZ3QQ_scZ1
  5. roche

roche i am lame Wackbag Staff

A device that allows you to use a cable card is your best bet.
  6. ruckstande

It doesn't even sound worth the trouble now. Oh well, I guess I'll have to think about renting another one from those assholes again. Thanks.
  7. Aero 1

Aero 1 Registered User

8. Razor Roman

Razor Roman Save the USH!

HD Tivo Series 3 :icon_mrgr
  9. sniper

sniper Front, and to the right... Wackbag Staff

Yeah.... that's gonna be a whole new fun can of worms. You can't just get a box. What the FCC is trying to mandate is that cablecard tuners be available so customers can buy their own boxes. The boxes you get from the cable co now have proprietary decoders built in to decode the digital MPEG2 signal, unless you have a Motorola HD3200, or 3416, they already have the cards in the back. Not only do these boxes suck in general, but Cablecard was a general failure for only being 1 way, the 2 way cards are forthcoming, which is most likely going to be a continuation of the failure.
    No one seems to understand the difficulty in getting all this technology to mesh with each other, you need the firmwares on the TV, Box, and/or Cable card to all be jiving right, and that's just to get a FORWARD signal, nevermind the bullshit that will be CPE sending shit back to the headend for ordering PPV and stuff, and to have the ability for these aftermarket boxes to be compatible with every cable companies' guide data. And at the rate the current boxes (especially Motorola DVRs) fail, it's not gonna be all that great for the consumer, your box fails now, you bring it in or make a phone call and you get a new one, if this aftermarket thing takes off and your box fails, it's the trip charge from the cable co. for them to hook up one of their boxes and show you the service is fine, then you have to hope it's still under warranty, if not, it'll be another couple hundred for a new aftermarket box. I don't get it, the cable co is gonna make you pay to rent the cablecard anyway, i'll keep paying the extra couple bucks to avoid the headache sure to ensue.
  10. THE FEZ MAN

THE FEZ MAN as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

my only issue is the size of the box... if i want to do a really nice install on my TV im stuck with that giant fucking box. i have a small TV in my kitchen and want to get "regular" cable in there, now i have the cable just run into it, its ok when i come home from work and watch the network news. but if i want to watch any thing else i really need the box. i guess i will just need to put the box on the top of the cabinet and live with it
  11. ruckstande

Yeah, that sounds about right.
  12. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Super Moderator Wackbag Staff

Yup. Better to just pay Comcast a few extra bucks.
  13. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Right-Wing Radical Wackbag Staff

Fezman, Comcast has smaller boxes available for those kinds of uses. I know someone who has one.

I think VZ might have them too for FIOS. I gotta look into it because we got the huge box sitting sideways next to the kitchen TV which is in a cabinet.
  14. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Super Moderator Wackbag Staff

I have a digital box in my bedroom that's only like 6 inches wide and 1 inch tall.
    Does everything the monster in my living room does at about 1/8 the space.

As far as I know, all the new converters are that small.
  15. sniper

sniper Front, and to the right... Wackbag Staff

I'm assuming you're referring to the Motorola DCT700
    [​IMG]

Those boxes are fucking great for tight spaces, however, due to the FCC mandate they can't make anymore of them until they are cablecard compatible. So whatever the cable co's have in stock now is all you'll see.

Fezman, the other thing you can do is make room in a cabinet and run the wire to the TV and hide the box, I've done a few installs like that, they sell IR extenders that you stick to the bottom of the TV, then to the front of the box so you can change channels and whatnot. A lot of people that hang their TVs on the wall run all their equipment to a media closet and use the IR extenders to run everything, just don't get one of those RF ones, bucket of suck.