OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo
  1. ANNOUNCEMENT: Major boost to web-site performance!

Read about it here! Also, please consider donating to the server costs in the Special July 2014 goal.

Especially you, Guest. I've been told you weren't sure how you could donate.

comic book recommendations?

Discussion in 'Comic Books, Anime & Manga' started by Cunt Smasher, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

Just getting back into reading some comics after being away for years. Always enjoyed Heavy Metal from back in the 80's, just finished Y-The Last Man (really good) and am up to date on The Boys (also kicks ass), so what else might I enjoy? And how about put all the various forms of entertainment under one big heading like sports?
  2. Nothclif

Nothclif arf -clap-

Fables and The Walking Dead are two of my favorites right now. Also currently reading Criminal and 100 bullets.
  3. CousinDave

CousinDave Well-Known Member Donator

Twitter:
    cousin_dave
    I can't speak for new stuff, but I know there are collected editions of titles like: Jon Sable, Badger, & American Flag. Maybe Miracleman is finally in print again.
  4. lockjaaaaww

lockjaaaaww All out of Bubble Gum.

If ya haven't already read it Watchmen.

Not into comic books but I read several graphic novels.
  5. DR. Jimcy M.E.

DR. Jimcy M.E. pretty cool, huh?

The recent Thor comic is fucking amazing. Captain America and New Avengers are also good buys. For the "Max" titles (max = not for kids comics) Kick-Ass, Incognito and Punisher Max are all great. Also Thunderbolts is pretty spot on for a long time now, can't go wrong there. War of Kings is also good if you like space shit like I do and also war.

Batman and Green Lantern are the best from DC right now as well as Secret Six. Superman is in a rut since the Jim Lee series.

If you want trade paper back stories I need to look up story names cause I don't know that shit off the top of my head.
  6. TeenBungle

TeenBungle ace freeme

Scalped!!!!! x1,000,000 So amazing.

100 Bullets, Preacher (definitely a must read), Ex Machina, and Transmetropolitan.

Machina is by Brian K Vaughn who did Y the last man.
  7. TeenBungle

TeenBungle ace freeme

Walking Dead is great. Need to get the last few TPB's. Gave up on Fables around the Frog Prince storyline. That book bugs the shit out of me. Bill Willingham certainly knows how to ratchet up the tension and build up for a final climax but then the endings always disappoint. I don't know how many times instead of showing the action he kinda just recaps the events. I don't know if that makes any sense but ugh, it pushed me away from the book.

I would bet my right hand it's not in print again. That will never get worked out.
    Never read JMS' Thor but have heard great stuff. He's leaving the book soon. Marvel was trying to make him have to steer the book towards the next big event and he wanted to be left to his own devices.

I'm sick of Brian Michael Bendis.

I need to finally read Punisher MAX. Read the first three issues of Kick Ass and really liked it.
  8. Señor Sneer

Señor Sneer Registered User

The Preacher series is the best comic book series I've read. It's by the same author of The Boys.
  9. shimrra

shimrra Hello Ladies

From Image comics you should check out:

Invincible
    [​IMG]
    I picked it up out of recommendation and its been great read thru. Since its been out for some time you can just pick up the collection sets.

Also its an oldie but I still a great read every now and then.
    [​IMG]

JLA/Avengers
    [​IMG]

The Ultimates
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Im also waiting for the softcover collection set of the Batman RIP series to drop.
    [​IMG]

If you are ever in the NYC area you should check out Midtown Comics they seem to have a great selection of graphic novels and collection sets. If not there is another comic shop called Royal Collectibles 96-01 Metropolitan Avenue Forest Hills, NY 11375. Its very mom and pop shop what I like about that spot is they usually have a great deal on softcover graphic novels every week about. Last time I pick up some Avengers, Green Lantern, Wolverine and Superman sets and they were all 5 dollar each which they normally go for 15.00-20.00 dollars each.
  10. Mindslayer

Mindslayer Best in the Biz

Crisis on Infinite Earths is still the best miniseries Ive ever read, almost 20 years after I first discovered it.

Anyway, not as big a collector as I used to be - pretty much only pick up TPBs and graphic novels - but The Gunslinger Born graphic novels are pretty good and the artwork is great. Also, if youre a Star Wars guy, the Legacy series (which takes place 140 years after Jedi) is pretty solid.
  11. shimrra

shimrra Hello Ladies

I'll second the Star Wars: Legacy series, I just pick up the first TPB and really like the story so far.
  12. mikeybot

mikeybot SPANAKOPITA!!! Donator

x2 on the Transmetropolitan.
  13. Nothclif

Nothclif arf -clap-

I never had much of an issue with the story telling, except a little bit with the current story arc (The great fables crossover or whatever it's called, the storyline is split between the Fables comic, a mini comic at the end of fables, and in the Jack of Fables comic, which I've never read jack of fables so I have no idea what's going on really cause I've never read jack of fables, never liked him as a character).

Forgot about scalped, really like it too. Pretty much like most stuff Vertigo comes out with (Never been much of a fan of superhero comics).

Some other good comics:
    The Nightly News
    Sandman (Weird art style, but good if you can get into it, also a classic)
    Losers
    House of Mystery v2
  14. TeenBungle

TeenBungle ace freeme

Word. Warren Ellis (the writer) and Darick Robertson (the artist) were a great team and it's just a great book. If you don't like the 1st trade too much just forge ahead and keep buying the books. It's an amazing story. It really picks up in pace after the second book.

I gotta try Nightly News. Heard great things. Sandman was great but I thought slightly over rated. Gotta read the LOsers. I keep forgetting to.

Yeah, I should have mentioned Garth Ennis, who wrote Preacher, also wrote The Boys. Yeah, it's definitely in my top three. My top three are (as of right now and in no particular order) Preacher, Y the Last Man, and The Invisibles.

FUck, read Rex Mundi!!! Amazing series.
  15. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

Started on The Walking Dead, I'm liking it so far. I won't get into the whole b&w vs. color thing.
  16. stellarcomics

stellarcomics Well-Known Member Donator

The Authority; one of the greatest comic series ever:
    [​IMG]
  17. JoeFromS.Jersey

JoeFromS.Jersey Registered User

I hear Archie is good....
  18. Aero 1

Aero 1 Registered User

the "Quit being a faggot and go outside and get laid" comic book is a good one. you'll love it :action-sm
  19. Beeman99

Beeman99 Registered User

20. shimrra

shimrra Hello Ladies

[​IMG]
  21. Aero 1

Aero 1 Registered User

my condolences to your father :action-sm
  22. GLENN_THE_TOOL

GLENN_THE_TOOL The reward is cheese.

i recently got into the various Deadpool books. general interest in Deadpool has gone way up since the Wolverine movie, so issues probably aren't too hard to find at your nearest shop. these days, people really don't read comic books for the humor, but Deadpool is not only bloody and violent but funny as fuck.
  23. DR. Jimcy M.E.

DR. Jimcy M.E. pretty cool, huh?

Meat suit!
  24. Mindslayer

Mindslayer Best in the Biz

shimrra; The Legacy series gets better as it goes along. Get ready for alot of cool twists in the following TPBs. Right now the Legacy books are probably better than the Fate of the Jedi novels, which is something I never thought Id say.

I was at the bookstore the other day and saw the Final Crisis graphic novel. I was interested in picking it up but passed on it because I wasnt sure if it was a sequel to another series. Can anyone help me out here ?
  25. Psychopath

Psychopath If you have Ghost you have everything Donator

Sin City, Loved it.