Gone Fishin'

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Sam_Adams, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

Well with all of the people on the bag I'm sure there is a good number of folks that like fishing.

I grew up fishing but I have moved more towards fly fishing over the last six or so years. I'd post photos from bass fishing yesterday (caught about eight of them in an hour) but I get uncomfortable about carrying my big camera (and expensive) on the water in a kayak. I need a small little pocket camera for fishing.

Post your picks and your trips that you go on. :action-sm:action-sm
  2. distortion9

distortion9 Satellite Of Hate

Because I am a crazy gun nut, I will now magically turn this thread into a political discussion.

Fishermen weigh in on proposed license

BY KENNY PORPORA |Special to Newsday3:53 PM EDT, April 20, 2008

[​IMG] [​IMG]

At 6 a.m. on Sunday, the Bay Shore dock was empty under an overcast sky -- until Bill Moser unloaded his rod and bait from his truck and prepared for a day of fishing, just as he has for more than 50 years.

Moser, 64, of Kings Park is an avid recreational fisherman and an even more avid opponent of the new proposal that would force recreational fishermen to register with the federal government and purchase a license before heading out to sea.

more

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lifish0421,0,2216531.story

Like Anthony once said, "What, exactly, is "free" about our Country?"

Annnnnnd go
  3. Glenn Dandy

Glenn Dandy THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.

thought it was going to be a you tag thread:(

goin Stripper fishin soon il post some pics when i do./.... cool thrad idea Sam.
  4. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Where ya headed, the KitKat Club?

[​IMG]

In South Dakota, our recreational opportunities result in death for some form of lower animal. Most of 'em are delicious.
  5. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Right-Wing Radical Wackbag Staff

For the most part, I only do salt-water fishing. In the last few years, I haven't done much at all. That's going to change this year.
  6. FishinForBabies

FishinForBabies Certified master faildozer operator

I try and make it down to Texas every summer and fish the gulf, usually around Galveston. every once in a while i'll go out on a deep sea boat, but I usually just fish from the shore around san luis pass.

I also do some fly fishing when I get a chance and I keep a fishing pole on the 18 wheeler with me to fish whenever i find a spot.
  7. seeinred

seeinred White Death

I went deep sea fishing in Cabo last month. I didn't catch a single goddamn thing. Our guides sucked, and made me hate deep sea fishing.
  8. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

For years I just had a cheap fly rod I bought from Wal-Mart when I was like 15 but then around 18 I got a very nice fly rod for Christmas from my mom, along with a new fly vest. I now have two of the same vest except one is too large (the one mom bought) but it works for when it's cold outside and I have a jacket on under it.

I used to tie flies but I have to buy all new gear. When I had moved I put my stuff in a storage building for about a year and when I came back to get my gear out I found out that my $300 worth of tying material had been eaten by mites. I picked up a hackle skin and it was rotting and I saw little white mites crawling everywhere and on my hand. It pissed me off. So, I haven't gotten around to buying new stuff.

I need to though. It's a great hobby.

The only time I went deep sea fishing was in San Diego when I was about 12 years old. We didn't catch shit and it was the first time I had got sick on a boat because it was a very windy day with tons of waves. After a couple hours of waves it finally got to me.

It was a very odd feeling. I have been on the water for most of my life and that was the only time I've ever gotten sick.
  9. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

Out of curiosity, how do you guys say "Crappie?"

"croppy" or "crappy?"

Here in the South we call them "croppy" but I have heard people from like NC say "crappy" and it just sounds stupid.
  10. Glenn Dandy

Glenn Dandy THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.

11. maz

maz TRueWDTer Donator

We call them crappies up here Sam
    like it's spelled

we'll be goin for Stripers in may
    maybe a Striper/ Black Drum combo trip

out of Cape May, NJ

I have a Lil' sony digital camera I bought for fishing trips
    but last year we went for Tuna and Dolphin
    out of Nags Head
    and all my pics were streaked with white and brown
    don't know if it's the cam or memory stick
  12. Gladys kravitz

Gladys kravitz Well-Known Member Donator

Nice thread SAM, I was waiting to see if there were other baggers that fish. I do most of my fishing on Lake Michigan for salmon, trout and monster perch. I also fish up in Wisconsin for panfish, walleyes, smallmouth and northerns. But I spend well over 250 hours fishing Lake Michigan, I have a 24ft boat that I slip for the season. Here is a pic of sunrise while my buddy is fighting a fish.

[​IMG]
  13. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

I've always wanted a boat with a cabin that I could do nothing but fish, dive and cruise around in the Carribean. Maybe when I get older I can get something like that. When I get older and retired I think I will study shipwrecks and go around as a hobby diving to look for relics.

I mostly fish out of a kayak since it's small (45lbs) and easy to take for a solo trip. I catch and release 95% of the time though since I don't have a live well and it sucks dragging around a stringer of fish with a kayak. If I'm trout fishing then I eat all of those motherfuckers because they are lovely baked with some parsley and lemon :D
  14. maz

maz TRueWDTer Donator

know much about digital cameras Sam ?
    any thoughts on the problem with mine ?

see post #11
    any ideas appreciated
  15. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

post a photo fella. still under warranty?
  16. maz

maz TRueWDTer Donator

maz doesn't know how to post photos yet
    but it's a SONY dscU20 i think
    hoping it's the memory stick
    do they go bad
    haven't really used it that much
    but had it for about 5 years

it's about 2/3 the size of a pack of smokes
    perfect size for the pocket
  17. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

Did you ever get it wet? I'd have to see a photo to try to figure out what is causing the discolorization.

It would be a fucked up image sensor that is a chip that actually gathers the light for the images. Depending on how much you paid for it, it may be worth it to send it into Sony and pay them a few bucks to repair it.

You can always try a new memory card if you have a feeling that it may be a problem. I haven't ever had a memory card go bad on me. It's pretty hard for them to mess up since they are static devices that don't have any moving parts.

I have an old school 35MM that will put streaks of light on my negatives but it's a problem with my shutter sticking and I have to get it fixed.

You problem could also simply be the camera setting that you have put on that will cause chromatic aberrations in certain lighting conditions
  18. maz

maz TRueWDTer Donator

I'll take it to a camera place i guess

unfortunately it takes the older style memory stick
    not the 1 in my PSP

thanks , Bro
    I'll get it fixed or get a new 1

think it was about 2 bills back then
  19. Sam_Adams

Sam_Adams Banned

Like I said, it could simply be your settings mixed with a bad lighting situation. I couldn't tell without seeing a photo.
  20. Gladys kravitz

Gladys kravitz Well-Known Member Donator

Croppy up here in the North. And right now they are hitting everything you throw at them.
  21. Jef Leppard

Jef Leppard 4/5 ths

the will county strip mines, hiedekie, des plains conservation area are kickin some fuckin ass. kankakee smallies are startin hit soft plastics small in natural colors in a basic jig and twist. hell when does that not work?
    and ice fishin in burnham harbor fuckin rules
  22. LZMF1

LZMF1 Semi-Eviscerated Donator

been an avid angler since i was a lil' kid. fresh and saltwater.

so yesterday i went down to burnham park(here in morris county NJ) and wasn't having much luck with the powerbait nuggets or meal worms. i got annoyed and put powerbait on all 3 poles and sat and waited and waited. got all annoyed and reeled the 1st 2 in. as i reached for the 3rd pole i noticed that i had a fish on. i jerked the pole to set the hook and started reeling in. i knew it was a trout because i was using powerbait but i never had one fight like this. this mug put up a hell of a fight. it was jumping out of the water trying to dislodge the hook. i got it in to the wall and realized i didn't have my net right next to me. i yelled to some dude fishing further down from me. he came running with my net for me and then i saw it.....i'm not sure what type of trout it was but it was at least 2 feet long and was almost lavender in color and had a white belly. just as i was bringing the net down to pick up my prize it jumped and got the hook out!!!!! along with my hook were 3 other hooks, 2 swivels and a weight. biggest trout i've ever, ever caught sadly i had it and it got away! i was soooooo pissed.

i usually go up to cape cod in the summer and try to get some fishing done while i'm up there.

[​IMG]i caught this 40" 45 lb striper after a liquid breakfast a few years back
  23. Haeder

Haeder South Dakota

Walleye fishing in Fon Du Lac, Wisconsin. Don't know who these guys are but they're sure diehards. 10 walleyes over 10 pounds in two nights of fishing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  24. LZMF1

[​IMG]3 rainbows i caught sunday afternoon

[​IMG]3 brookies i caught last year

[​IMG] i caught this brown last year. 1st cast in and boom! the drag on my reel was screming. i have a 72 gallon aqurium at home so i took it home and lowered the water temp. kept it alive for a few days before i decided to have it for dinner.
  25. LZMF1

that sucks that your guides weren't worth shit. trust me. try again next time you get a chance. the second you hook a nice one and reel it in you will be "hooked"(no pun intended)