HDTV Problem

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by Absolutely, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy Donator

Admittedly this is a "White guy problem", but I recently was given an older 52 inch plasma(?) HDTV.
    It's bigger than the 32 inch HDTV I had in the living room so I'm using it there.

Anyway, whenever it goes from HD to SD, the screen turns black for about 3-4 seconds and then again when it goes from SD to HD.

So you'll be watching ESPN HD, a commercial will pop on that won't be in HD, 4 seconds of black-screen, commercial, 4 seconds of black-screen, HD commercial, ESPN HD.

Same if you switch from an HD channel to an non-HD channel. And when it does it, you can see in the top left that it's going from HDMI2 to Cable or whatever.

Any way to fix this, or is it just because it's an older tv? It's probably a 2006?
    Again, it's not a huge issue, but it's slightly annoying.
  2. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello. Donator

I have that exact issue with my older HDTV but only when going from a SD channel to an HD channel. The commercials dont cause a problem, it just shrinks the aspect ratio for the duration of the advert. I havent tried to fix the issue but Ive also realized that I can live with it being that its not very often I have to watch a SD channel.
  3. Absolutely

Right, I very very rarely watch a SD channel. But it's doing it on commercials, like if some shitty local car company has a commercial that's on an HD channel it'll cut to black, play, cut to black.

I guess it's just an older TV thing, because when the other TV was hooked up with all the same equipment it wasn't an issue.
  4. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep** Donator

You should be able to change it in the menu settings. Or its telling you it'll be shitting the bed soon.
  5. sillyfuck

sillyfuck Wackbag Uncle Tom Donator

I just got an older plasma recently, and haven't noticed a transition issue between SD/HD, but I do have red pixel sparkles on dark areas of screen.
  6. Absolutely

Change what though? A setting that allows the TV to switch back and forth from HD to SD?
  7. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep** Donator

All TV's have a menu, just don't know your brands sequence.

Scroll scroll through it and find it. Settings is the most likely place for the way it handles SD to HD.

And also access your cable box settings, too. That could be where the switching can be forced, one way or another.
  8. Aero 1

Aero 1 Registered User

your tv is outputting native resolution and since your tv sucks, its taking a long time to display that resolution. look for a setting that specifies the output. something like fixed, native. fixed 1080i or fixed 72op will fix the problem. or if you are using a cable box, set the resolution to fixed on it to those resolutions that your model tv will handle, and since its old, it probably cant handle all the resolutions.

going by from your previous threads, i bet you will have no idea what i just posted.
  9. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Wackbag's Charlie Hustle Donator

Do you live in West Virginia and write a blog on chasing dick? :action-sm

There's probably an "auto" setting that needs to get turned off in the menu somewhere which is what Aero is saying. Set it to a "fixed" resolution and it should fix the problem.
  10. Bill Lehecka

Bill Lehecka AKA Bill from Waterford Donator

Twitter:
    BillLehecka
    It's because your cable company is outputting their local commercials in Standard Definition, and not upconverting to HD. Older local commercials are like that, if I know of some cable providers who are now starting to encode their local spots in HD, which means the black screen dropout doesn't happen as often.

Best way to fix this is to go into your cable box and pick a resolution: 720p or 1080i. The black screen between resolution changes will be minimized and often eliminated.

If you watch a lot of sports and fast motion: Choose 720p. If you watch a lot of dramas and comedy, go 1080i. If your TV upconverts everything to 1080p anyway, then it doesn't matter what you choose.
  11. Absolutely

Thanks fellas.
    I'll implement this all tomorrow and report back.