Help Finding Fairly Basic Desktop PC

Discussion in 'Wackbag Tech Support' started by NeonTaster, Apr 8, 2012.

1. NeonTaster

NeonTaster ネオンテイスター Donator

So I've had the same dumb HP desktop since late 2007. It's been a fucking workhorse but its age is finally showing, and I've been out of the PC market for so long none of the names of the processors or graphics cards mean shit to me.

I'm looking for a cheap (maybe 500 tops) desktop PC. Mainly for internet, word processing, and movie watching, but also some photoshop, and light audio and video editing (stuff I already do on this old computer, just with some shorter load times, so again - I don't need anything crazy). A decent video card just so I can watch 1080p video with an HDMI output. That kind of shit. If it has regular PCI slots then I don't even need a sound card because I already have a decent M-Audio one I could pop right in there.

Any good deals around? Any firms I should stay away from or stick to? I was pretty pleased with my HP. Like I said, fucker is still running after more than 4 years of being lugged around and basically being on all the time.

EDIT: Or am I being too optimistic? Would I need to spend more on this? My HP cost me a grand in like October of 2007, and it was hardly top of the line. Good but not great for the time.
  2. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath Donator

Keep an eye on Woot. They've had some decent desktop systems come up recently for less than $500. HP and Dell are still the big names in desktops.
  3. NeonTaster

I'd still have to ask someone about any prospective one I see. I used to know how to read a PC spec sheet and judge how good it was. I just haven't done that in like 3 years and everything's different now. :icon_conf
  4. Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein Right-Wing Radical Wackbag Staff

sellout.woot had a nice deal today for $349 but it sold out.

Keep an eye there, or if you have a Microcenter nearby they often have some nice clearance deals at the actual stores.

I got a $1699 laptop for $910 that was brand new (not refurb) but it was an open-box. Nothing missing, I got the full warranty. I love it.

I bought an HP refurb desktop machine from woot that served me well for 4 years.
  5. NeonTaster

You wanna throw some numbers at me as to what would be decent in terms of processor, RAM, graphics cards, etc?

Like here's a random thing I pulled off Tiger Direct:

Dell Inspiron I620-1272NBK

Core i3-2120 3.3GHz
    6 GB DDR3
    1 TB HDD
    Intel HD Graphics 2000 GPU

$449.99

That all sounds pretty good except for the graphics card (sounds kinda generic).

Or here's another from Newegg:

Dell Inspiron i580-7779BK

Athlon II X4 645 3.1GHz
    6GB DDR3
    500 GB HDD
    ATI Radeon HD 4200

$489.99

I see that Intel HD Graphics 2000 in many PC of this price range. Is it worth it seeking out something with a decent Nvidia or ATI card? I guess I could always just spend an extra $50 and buy a card. I was going to do it with my current PC, but it would require replacing the power supply as well so I just said fuck it. I assume newer PCs would have a capable power supply, no? Or is that something I should be on the lookout for as well?

EDIT: Never mind. These look like they could handle the $40-50 range graphics card I would buy if I were to buy one. Just barely, though.
  6. Psychopath

Psychopath Big Jack Zelig Donator

If you are using the computer for photoshop and video and music editing I would look for a better processor and gpu. The i3 is ok. The i7 is the tits, super fast.That card seems a bit generic.
  7. NeonTaster

I really don't need to be going crazy. I run photoshop fine on my current 1.87 GHz, 2GB RAM machine. And like I said, I don't mind dropping an extra $50 for a graphics card, especially if the machine itself is sub $500.
  8. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy. Donator

I agree with Sinn and Mayr, watch Woot. They have deals all the time. Make sure you check all the woot sites (woot.com, moofi.woot.com, and sellout.woot.com).
  9. Awful Me

Awful Me I do it.

Dell Outlet is also a good place to check. People that return their stuff gets sold there at good prices.

If you prefer new, Dell has a fairly decent home box right now called the Inspiron 620. Since you want to run PS, i'd choose one that has the i5. Its not as balls out at the 7 but way better than the 3. Also comes with 6gb of ram.

Win7-64bit is also included. with 64bit you are limited to 4gb of ram and ram is cheap right now.

it starts at 549 with the above mentioned specs.

video is just a generic though.
  10. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother. Donator

If you're not shy about slapping it together yourself, this is pretty nice for the price. Just pick out a video card and you're set.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4186878
  11. steve500

steve500 Registered User

Woot usually ends up being a better deal for midrange, even if you pirate the OS. Especially now with the insane hard drive prices
  12. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother. Donator

That didn't take long. It's just another option. Settle down.
  13. NeonTaster

Would I be better off with a slower i5 or a faster i3? I see machines with an i5 that are 2.8 GHz and machines with an i3 that are 3.3 GHz...
  14. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Wackbag's Charlie Hustle Donator

I think you mean you are NOT limited to 4gb of ram.
  15. NeonTaster

OK, I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it. This looks like something I would be good with:

DELL Inspiron 620
    Core i5-2320 3 GHz
    6 GB DDR3
    1TB HDD (2 separate physical drives, which I like)
    1 GB AMD Radeon HD 6450

$650

A tad pricey, but I would probably spend the extra money for something that would last me longer. Also, I'll keep my eyes open for deals on similar machines. If I get a good deal, I could always just upgrade a component or two.
  16. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello. Donator

17. NeonTaster

Am I being stupid by totally skipping over refurbs? Do Newegg/Tiger Direct have a good reputations with refurbished things?
  18. SOS

SOS ONA Wackbag Staff

What are the specs of your HP now?

WINDOWS KEY - PAUSE|Break

WINDOWS KEY - R : dxdiag : enter
  19. fletcher

Ive never had a problem with Newegg (I know thats jinxing myself) and I dont mind refurbs. At this point Ill take any savings I can when it comes to computers, I toyed with the idea of getting a fancy new MBP but when I saw that a really basic model was $1300 I quickly came to my senses.
  20. NeonTaster

It's a geezer.

Core 2 6300 1.87 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    NVidia Quadro NVS285 128MB

Pretty much anything would be a major improvement at this point.
  21. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Wackbag's Charlie Hustle Donator

Newegg does. A refurb computer is something that is a good thing to get some value on. Electronics don't really "wear out."
  22. NeonTaster

I have an older MBP that I got for school. It still works fine, but I doubt I will get another Apple machine after this. I just can't afford it.

And yeah, I guess I'll check out some of their refurbs, see what they got.
  23. fletcher

I loved mine but the price along with the iPad direction OSX is going in I cant keep going with Apple and I was one of the tools that had an apple logo sticker on my rear windshield. Oddly enough I peeled it off about a week before the laptop died. Guess I sent up the anti-Apple batsignal and they killed it from space. Bastards.
  24. NeonTaster

I was never a big fan. I can honestly say that my experience with Apple was about as problematic as my experience with PCs. It's just different kinds of problems. Macs frustrate me because they don't tell you WHAT the problem is, just that there IS a problem. One of the very first things I tried to do with my brand new MBP was connect my HP printer to it (with my PC it was plug in -> printer now works). With my Mac what I ended up needing to do was go to the HP website on my PC and download the Mac drivers (couldn't access the site properly on the Mac itself) and then copy them to the MBP and install. The Mac gave no indication of what was wrong. Connected printer -> nothing happened.

This type of thing happened to me several times with the Mac. It also blew 2 optical drives for no apparent reason. I honestly don't understand the meme about Mac being way better. I just didn't have that experience. Sure, it's a great machine, but any decent-firm PC laptop with those same specs would have been great as well. I've had my desktop longer than I've had my MBP and it isn't as powerful, and it is still running (with the original optical drive, mind you). I fail to see how that demonstrates some inherent superiority in Apple products.
  25. fletcher

Ive had 2 Apple laptops, an iBook G4 that Im using now which the only issue is a shot battery (and the lack of support/updates for software but that is typical for older machines) and the MBP that had a screen blowout and the mysterious hardware failure. Never had an issue with plug and play printers but then again I had one that worked so I never tried with other printers. I was actually mocked pretty mercilessly yesterday because of the PC graveyard that I am creating, but then again I am the type that downloads shady things or tries to frankenstein machines to the point where I probably have more of a hand in killing them than any virus/malware issues.

Im pulling the trigger on that refurb I posted earlier, I need a proper computer pretty much right now. If you are planning on waiting a little while to make a purchase Ill post any initial reactions/reviews for the specs as soon as I get it.