OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo
  1. ANNOUNCEMENT: Major boost to web-site performance!

Read about it here! Also, please consider donating to the server costs in the Special July 2014 goal.

Especially you, Guest. I've been told you weren't sure how you could donate.

Home electricity fun

Discussion in 'Wackbag Home Improvement & Car Repair' started by LilJimmyRbinson, Apr 9, 2012.

1. LilJimmyRbinson

LilJimmyRbinson Best muppet ever

So my 220V outlet that my oven was plugged into basically exploded yesterday. I was pre-heating the oven for Easter goodness when I heard that classic VOOOMP! tesla coil movie sound and a flame shot up my wall - then my whole house lost power. I go downstairs, the 220V breaker is tripped as well as the Main. I unplug everything, flip on the main, leave the oven one off. Everything works fine. I pull the oven away from the wall and there's this old looking outlet with a huge 3 prong outlet like this one:

[​IMG]

It looks pretty burnt. I'm sure it's shot. My question is, what are the odds that the whole oven is destroyed too? Could that surge fry the computer or whatever it is that regulates the oven/stove?
  2. MetalBender

MetalBender I like fistables.

Slim to none. Most likely the outlet internals broke and touched each other. They get brittle with age. Could be just years of debris shorted it too. Hook up a new outlet and start cooking if wires and sheath are not burnt.
  3. chiapeteater

chiapeteater ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ Donator

This, put a new female receptacle in the wall and a male on the oven cord and you should be good to go.
  4. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over? Donator

Just get a new cord instead of replacing the male. Much easier to screw onto the oven.
  5. TOM CHARLESTON

TOM CHARLESTON uppity neobarb Donator

happens all the time on high amp appliances, the older the plug the looser the connection, that causes heat, and heat melts. stove is fine. Go to lowes and get both the male and the female, be sure to cut back any burnt wire in the receptacle, and try to get the entire cord and plug as one for the stove, it will last longer than cutting in a plug to the old stove cord. Also the outlet will have the amp rating listed on it.

PS- if it is aluminum wire call some one and have them pull copper wire if your staying in your house for the next few years, safer. If its copper its a DIY job, BUT KILL AND LOCK THE BREAKER
  6. NoSurviivors

NoSurviivors Barley Legal .

Nah.. fuck that. Work on it live. Don't be a queer.
  7. lockjaaaaww

lockjaaaaww All out of Bubble Gum.

I work live all the time. Only got zapped once and that was working in a dark attic with a live circuit.
  8. TOM CHARLESTON

TOM CHARLESTON uppity neobarb Donator

work live all the time, but tell Harry Homeowner the safe thing, most people today cant change a two way light switch.
  9. maz

maz TRueWDTer Donator

10. Dicktator

Dicktator I Cancelled my XM Donator

I kill the power when I change light bulbs.