I Fucking Hate Applying For Jobs

Discussion in 'What the F??!?' started by Absolutely, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy Donator

Sooooooooooo Annoying

First of all, it's all done online, so there's just nothing you can do besides hit "Submit" and then wait.
    Maybe in 2-3 months you'll get an email that says, "Thanks for your interest, but at this time.... [We don't want you]

You can't actually talk to someone, maybe ask them if the job opening online that's listed from MAY is still actually open, or if they're just lazy with their site.

But aside from that, the actual process is so frustrating.
    You have to register for the company site, then you have to click on the job opening you're looking at.
    First thing the ask you to do is upload a resume, fine, not a problem.
    Then you click "Next" and you have to spend 35 minutes filling out the EXACT SAME INFO that's on the resume you JUST uploaded.

First Name
    Middle Initial
    Last Name

You already have that at your disposal...

Last place of employment... Duties... etc.

THAT'S ON THE RESUME AS WELL!

It takes 2 hours to apply to 2-3 places. Fuck
    I just applied for this one organization, for 2 separate openings and you literally couldn't just pick an additional opening, you had to fill EVERY out again.
  2. Absolutely

I'd prefer it was like it was before the internet, I'd just annoy the fuck out of some company. Show up everyday with my little blazer on and resume, just over and over until they finally cave and just stick me somewhere.
  3. Psychopath

Psychopath Big Jack Zelig Donator

I'm in the same boat. I'm applying for several part time jobs so that when I graduate in a month or two I have money to pay for my loans. Places like home depot and lowes and other retail jobs. It's a pain in the balls, I haven't heard back from any of them. I have never had a job that I am able to put on a resume, most of them were cutting grass or answering phones, so I can't put them on a resume. I hate it.
  4. CousinDave

CousinDave Well-Known Member Donator

Twitter:
    cousin_dave
    I couldn't imagine having to go through this process at this point in my life

If its all online how do they keep the long haired creepy people from applying?
  5. Absolutely

Yeah, I've been there as well. Applying for places like Home Depot, etc.
    It's the same, it's literally a 45 minute process to fill out an application.
    But with those place, as I remember it's incredibly stupid shit you have to answer.

When I applied for Borders a long time ago, I had to do this online questionnaire with crap like
    "I am able to tell if another employee is having a bad day"
    Agree
    Somewhat agree
    Not sure
    Somewhat disagree
    Disagree

Who gives a fuck... I just want to stand behind the cash register and scan a book.

My main complaint is the fact that they ask to upload a resume, so there's no need to then spend 45 minutes trying to squeeze that info into 50 character slots and giving biographical info.

Btw, the place I applied for is working with mentally disabled people, so that could be fun...
  6. CousinDave

Twitter:
    cousin_dave

yea but that's only a small part of the overall job
  7. Absolutely

I know, but do they really need to give you a pseudo-psychological test?
    Online?
    Who isn't going to answer everything "Correctly"?

"Do you sometimes have thoughts of harming fellow employees"

Well, I'm going to be honest, and say "Yes" :rolleyes:
  8. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got? Donator

I had to copy pasta a resume for US Cellurar. Applying sucks.

Then a couple days later I had to do a phone interview with some bitch who probably doesn't even know where Oklahoma is. Didn't get the job, but that is probably for the best. Fuck them. I got a job that will pay double.
  9. Danesy

Danesy Cute but psycho, it all evens out.

I've been doing that for almost 2 years now. I've been to so many agencies and on so many interviews ... I'm almost at the point that it seems futile.
  10. Absolutely

I've been at that point for like a year now, but it's to the point where I have to get a job again.
    But it's true, you just try to flood places with your resume, and after like 35-40 place don't even get back to you it's like "Why even try..." and you stop doing it for a time.

My favorite is when I apply to places that are "Hiring", and then you look at the requirements and it's basically just having a GED.
    (I have 2 degrees)
    And they don't call you back or send you an email that says they're not interested.

Maybe it's being overqualified, but still, if I've gone through the trouble of filling your crap out and I meet the qualifications, why not...? Not even a call back.
  11. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy. Donator

I'll be going through the same thing at the end of the year... and most of the jobs I'm going to apply for are at least 200 miles away so that will be a blast.

Luckily I'll probably still have work available at that point, so I will have some type of income.
  12. Absolutely

It's also amazing how absolutely shitty the online job sites are.
    95% of the listings are "fake jobs" more or less. Either stuff listed at "Earn $150,000 a year from home" or Online Survey Takers, Telecommunications stuff from home, etc.

I'm at the point where I literally have run out of places that I know of.
    The place I was talking about above with the mentally challenged, I saw an ad on TV to volunteer, and then saw that they had openings.
    But I'd never be able to actually find that place, aside from somehow getting a list of every single company or organization in STL and just going through thousands and thousands of google searches.

Maybe that's just want it takes... But I'm not motivated to do that.
  13. Psychopath

That's exactly the questions I get for every application. The kmart application is the worst it took me an hour and a half to finish. Mainly because of all the questions, and the fact that their server kept timing out.
  14. Psychopath

I also received questions about the human race"are humans good" "do you have hope for people" at this point,no.
  15. Absolutely

And then you get people [My Mom] who are like, "You need to be applying to 10 places a day... Finding a job IS a full-time job"

I'm not sure [Mom] knows that in order to fill out an application to make $7.25 an hour at KMart it takes 90 minutes.
    90 Minutes that I could have spent doing anything else. :piss
  16. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy. Donator

I think 75% of the reason for using long applications is to weed out the people not motivated enough to fill them out.
  17. CousinDave

Twitter:
    cousin_dave
    In an economy where actual unemployment is 15% and actual underemployment is probably well above 25%, in most instances you are going to be over qualified for the position at least in terms of education.

I don't know what kind of real work experience you've had but, if multiple people are applying for the same position on their formal education is identical, the guy with the most work experience will get the position, even if that work experience was stuffing envelopes from home or selling CUTCO to his parents friends.

Some day this economy is going to get better, there will be a new President, people will start to feel good again, and people will be getting hired again and at good wages.

It only takes an instance for people to lose confidence in the system which results in a crippled economy, and it takes years to get back out of that mess, but throughout history that's the way its always worked, there will always been boom times and busts. Just sucks ass when we're in a bust time, but let it remind you that when things are booming again, you also need to be preparing for the next bust.
  18. DonTheTrucker

DonTheTrucker I talk on the radio. No, really, I do.

Try getting a radio job, where everything you are must be represented in a 2 minute demo mp3 that will get 10 seconds of listening time if you're lucky.
  19. LiddyRules

LiddyRules Mr. Sarcasm is The Answer to Everything Donator

When I Get Angry, I Tend To Show It. Agree, Somewhat Agree, Somewhat Disagree, Disagree. I hate those fucking tests. You'd have to be retarded not to pass it.

I have jobs now (though I think I'm going to start looking again in a few months) and the worst was applying for jobs and not getting anything back. It's pathetic when a rejection letter makes you feel better.

I hate your optimism.
  20. Absolutely

Or completely devastate you, because it's like, "For REALS?"

There's a library 2 minutes from my house. There was a job there that "Required a GED" and all the other cliche crap; Responsible, dependable, etc.
    I talked to the woman hiring and everything, it was 30 hours a week, $9.00/Hour, but I was like Whatever I can walk there and make $9 sitting around while I look for a "real job".

Got an email that said I "Wasn't being considered". It was a job that 16 year old girls do...
  21. LiddyRules

LiddyRules Mr. Sarcasm is The Answer to Everything Donator

It's such a soul crushing endeavor. I'm getting depressed thinking about it.
  22. Poon Slayer

Poon Slayer Reissued Regret

I've had a couple of interviews with Amazon.com and another one at the end of the month. They told me to come to the interview dressed in a tie/button-down/khakis etc........ it's an entry-level warehouse job. The worst is how my pre-screening/interviews are spread out over a month and a half, and with that kind of dead time the little self-destructive voice in my head keeps hoping things won't work out.

The pre-screening took 2 and a half hours. I also forgot how much I stretched my work history to cover up the holes in between jobs.
  23. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter. Donator

I'm pretty sure I applied for 30 jobs in one week and I only heard back from one of them. It was at a hospital my sister has worked at for over 20 years. I applied and used her name as a reference and got an email saying they are going with someone else. You can't even put names down. I have been in contact with a job recruiter who I met up with at Robert Half. He said he wanted to meet up with me. He told me don't worry, I will keep an eye out for you and I will stay in touch every week even if I don't have anything just to see how your are doing. That was three weeks ago and never heard back from him. I'm also sick of these bullshit Craiglist ads that sound like I.T. jobs and I get this back:

Original AD:
    The Response to My Resume:

This is the third response like this to various jobs applied for on there. Why do they want to know what I charge? I thought this was for a job?
  24. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield Deine Mutter schwitzt beim Kacken

Other than the stuff asking for qualifications (and maybe some legal issues), everything else is just horseshit filler. But there's a reason for it.

Making it easier would not help anyone get employed, there would still be the same number of applicants for the same number of jobs. The only thing it would accomplish is that it would make applicants spend their time spamming the shit out of every e-mail and website receiving CVs, instead of filling out useless forms for the few jobs they know they are actually qualified to get.

It basically makes the applicants do some of the selection instead of the employers. Instead of forcing companies to filter thousands of applications, it forces applicants to filter through dozens of potential jobs, and makes the companies also be able to choose from only a few dozen applications.

It makes it easier for the companies to choose the right people, which in turn also helps those "right people". It doesn't help the "wrong people" though, which is sad, because these "wrong people" probably haven't done anything wrong, the only thing wrong about them is that they were born five years too late, so they've just graduated college and have no work experience. Unless they voted for Obama back when in college. Then that's something they've done wrong. In fact it's the only wrong in this whole shitty equation.
  25. Aaron Burrito

Aaron Burrito 2-14

It's not optimism, it's a back handed comment. He's an Obama hater.