Truckers, I need some assistance. Want to go OTR.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by moviemogul, Aug 2, 2010.

1. moviemogul

moviemogul Well-Known Member Donator

I got my Class A back in Nov 2007, when I was 24. Right after that I signed up with Werner as a training company(right there was a bad move, I know).

I went to Dallas to get hooked up with a trainer. Unfortunately, luck was not on my side, as my trainer was a Hurricane Katrina survivor, if you know what I mean. And I'm not too keen on those types...you know? He was actually from Louisiana too.

He smelled. Ate with his mouth open, and when he was in the back of the truck, he occasionally came to the front while I was driving in his fucking skivvies.

Also, Werner was paying me $200/wk take home pay. At that time, I had a $400/mo truck payment with a $200/mo insurance payment. I also had a $75/mo phone bill...so I really couldn't live out there on $125/mo.

So, nevertheless, I had a sour spot for OTR trucking. I quit the company, got dropped off in Houston and took a flight home to Tampa.

Anywho...I'm now unemployed thanks to the economy, and have been collecting benefits for the past 7 months. I'm 27 now, and I want to get out of Florida and see the country.

I've got no family aside from my parents and brother. I'd like to be able to stop paying rent, electric, etc and save that cash. I've got no truck anymore, just a motorcycle that I own. No real bills aside from my phone. And I think just my maturity level is there that I'm ready to move on, you know?

Anyways, truckers. I need to find a good training company. Someone who will let me get the necessary experience behind the wheel. I've only been with Werner, and hated them. So, I'm looking for suggestions.
  2. Bigtchrist

Bigtchrist Registered User

My dad used to drive for Gordon.. He liked them. there out of WA.. i dont know how far east there terminals go... i used to drive for Rocor years ago... C.R England has nice trucks and well.. werner does to...
  3. Rackrunner

Rackrunner I am now Zombie Overlord, thanks to Wes Mantooth Donator

You stayed with Werner for the last 3 years? you have a year verifiable within the last 3? whats the record like? Any accidents? I've been with NFI Interactive Logistics for the last 10 years and have had good results with them, although I drive day cab for them. The OTR guys seem to do OK also and with terminals in pretty much every state you should be able to hook on somewhere.

I know they are hiring out of Worcester, MA right now as a new OTR operation is starting up there this week. I think you would average around 1100 gross a week to start, with incremental mileage raises, vacation time, and benefits. The equipment is fairly new depending on the location you house out of and they currently have about 4000 power units, so the company is pretty established.

Here is a map showing some of the main terminals, but there is also a bunch of ancillary locations. This map shows zero MA locations, but there are 5 that I know of off the top of my head up here, just not listed. So you may find something wherever you wish to go. http://www.nfiindustries.com/servic...i-transportation-dedicated/transportation-map
    Good luck.
  4. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

How long has it been since you've actually driven a rig? You might need to take a refresher course first if it's been a while.
  5. moviemogul

It's been about 2 years since I've been behind the wheel of a rig. I only stayed with Werner for 4 weeks. I couldn't take the trainer anymore.

As far as my record goes. I pulled my full driving record today.

I have 1 crash in a personal vehicle (I know what type of vehicle doesn't matter with my CDL though...it's still a crash) and a "Failure To Maintain Lane" ticket. The ticket has Adjucation Withheld. I also have 1 speeding ticket from 2 years ago.

License has no points on it, and any other tickets were non-moving or older ones with adjucation withhold.

My big problem is this crash and "Failure to Maintain Lane" ticket.

What companies would allow me to work for them with that?

Swift isn't hiring right now.
  6. DonTheTrucker

DonTheTrucker I talk on the radio. No, really, I do.

Everything that went wrong for you in those 4 months would continue if you went back. Long haul driving is for suckers. Do something, anything, else. If you want, you can try to get on at a local construction company driving dump trucks or get a job as a trash truck driver. Whatever you do, don't go back to OTR driving.
  7. moviemogul

Why?

The only thing I really can reliably get locally without much issue is towing. I'm good at that, and I hauled everything from containers to generators to cars and boats.

I also hold a repo license in FL. I just am finding it hard to find a company that will hire me.
  8. Ego

Ego The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head

You should have asked for another trainer at the time. They more than likely would have put you with one. You're going to have to train again if you go back now. Be honest with the people beforehand about what kind of person you want to be around. They do actually want you to be successful out there, and if all it takes is a change in trainers or something to get you through your training and into a truck, they'll do it.
  9. moviemogul

I understand I'm going to have to train again. I'm cool with that. I was considering giving Steven's Transport a call. They require 8 weeks out with a trainer.

I am also looking for local opportunities here too. There's a local company, "Walpole" here that hauls non-hazmat bulk material.

I'm willing to do hard work, as long as I can live on what I earn.
  10. Biff Hardslab

Biff Hardslab I have the t-shirt

You aren't going to get a "good job" until you put at least a year in OTR at some shit slave driving company. There are exceptions, but it is very rare. A lot of the local LTL jobs, which seem to be the Holy Grail of trucking won't touch you unless you have a year of experience.

But, if your dead set on going OTR and driving trucks, Truck.net is a good starting place. You can get information on different companies there. You might want to look into seeing if a local community college has a driving course and retake the training. A lot of the slave drivers recruit out of there and it will get you started again.

Don is right though. OTR is for suckers that like to work for free, putting in 70 hours a week in and only getting paid for 20. I've been there. Wait until you arrive at 3:45 am to your first Chicago grocery warehouse for a 4 am appointment, get told to wait in line, finally get a door around 6 am, pay $150-$200 to have your truck unloaded by some toothless fuck that only takes cash, finally get unloaded at 9 am, get your paper work and leave the property at 9:30 am, go to your next pick up on the other side of town (same zip code so they don't have to pay you) that takes an hour to get to because of traffic, get in line, wait another hour and a half for a door, wait another hour to get loaded because everyone went on lunch, finally get loaded and off the property at 1:00 p.m. and on your way. You've been working since 3:00 am (that's when you got up and left the truckstop to be on time for your 4:00 am appointment) and you haven't made a dime yet. Now you actually start earning money because you have to haul ass to make it across 3 big states to make a delivery the next morning. But before you start looking at the odometer and calcuating the big bucks you've made, don't forget to take off 10% off the miles you actually drove. That's what you're going to get paid on.

That's OTR trucking.
  11. DonTheTrucker

Because all that shitty treatment you described will only get worse. Add on top of that the likelihood of even stricter rules (mandatory electronic logs, etc) and you're never going to make any money in the business.

You'd probably clear more working at Home Depot.
  12. moviemogul

Ok, so I'm going to go after the local possibility. It's also entirely possible I can get something in Car Hauling with my extensive towing experience. Something like picking up from repo lots and hauling to auctions...then maybe eventually work up to new car hauling.
  13. moviemogul

The reason I really wanted to go OTR is to pretty much live rent free, work, and see the country.
  14. CousinDave

CousinDave Well-Known Member Donator

Twitter:
    cousin_dave

If you do this, you'll still want a domicile for tax purposes - If you actually live in the truck/motels you won't be able to take all those deductions.

So pay rent somewhere, even if its $10 a month.

If you want to stay local, consider driving a log truck.
  15. moviemogul

I can use my parents address as a domicile. They live near me.

Honestly, I'm willing to grunt for a year, so I can get my behind the wheel time. But if I can get it local with a local bulk carrier, that'll be fine too.

I'm still going to keep my options open.
  16. DanaReevesLungs

DanaReevesLungs I can keep rhythm with no metronome...

I did that for 2 years...after 3 months on a truck without a day off I wanted to kill the next human I saw. As Jef said, you'll have days that lasts 20 hours where you don't make a fucking dime because you're stuck in a dock all day and can't sleep because the warehouse has rules where you are to remain on the dock until the truck is loaded/unloaded.

I train for a student company...it sucks. Heads butt, assholes are even bigger assholes because now they're a trucker. NO one gives a fuck. Then you get these trainers with a sense of control and they treat everyone like shit. It's the same no matter where you go. You've got the anti-social, down-trotten, people with way more confidence than they should have and they are the ones who gives us the representation we have.
  17. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

I drove years ago, and had to suffer a year of being treated like a slave. Once I had that first year in I ended up driving for a great company (Jim Bender Transportation). I drove for him for five years and left to take a teamster line haul job.

The new electronic logs, hours of service 14 hour clock and other things will make OTR trucking something so awful that only illegals will do it. And that's pretty much what the big companys want.
  18. DonTheTrucker

You'll spend more on the road than if you lived at home. It's easy to rack up $50 a day in just food living out of truck stops. You'll see a lot of the country, but either at 65 mph or sitting in traffic. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

There are some great things to say about driving over the road. There's nothing like the first time you drive through the desert at night, with no one else within 50 miles. But it's not worth the shit you have to put up with anymore.
  19. snail trails

snail trails Registered User

find a tanker company or bulk hauling job.

never pull a reefer like the others have said you will sit and sit and sit and sit and sit move lil bit and sit and sit.

if you can get it get your haz mat and haul gas locally. seems to pay decent and home most every nite.

seeing country is a joke you cant stop and just look at stuff everyday you have to keep moving or your not making in money.

and over the road isnt a job is a new lifestyle. like the other guy say couple weeks of straight working you will want to kill everybody thats next to you.
  20. weeniewawa

weeniewawa I'm just a big dummy Donator

Twitter:
    weeniewawa
    that's what out government wants too

car hauling is dead, you do not see many on the road. I see yards full of car haulers just sitting.

the gas hauling is a good idea except a lot of them want a couple years experience. and you have to work nights a lot since filling gas stations is better at night when no one is there.

and has anyone mentioned stay away from refers? ;)

nothing but wetbacks driving them and lots of sitting

trucking sucks but I am in it

OH well

I better get going right now
  21. BrianFromIowa

BrianFromIowa Oh no. Donator

You're in Tampa? I work for Bulkmatic Transport. Dry bulk mostly food grade ie: flour, starch, sugar etc. Also alot of plastics and such. I haul local out of Omaha Ne.

Kicks ass. Last year I earned 60,000+ being home every day 6 days a week.
    I can't speak for the Tampa Terminal, but I am very happy with the company in general.

They do have reginal and otr stuff. Not bad equipment. I can't remember how much experience they want, but maybe worth a shot.

I have been with them for 8 years. That says alot in trucking.

bulkmatic.com
  22. moviemogul

Thanks for the assistance guys.

Sadly, for fuel tankers, most require 3 years experience. I don't have tanker (but can get it), nor hazmat.

Bulkmatic requires 1yr experience.

I'm looking around the area, have a few options in towing/car hauling available. I have an interview tomorrow morning for one.
  23. DanaReevesLungs

DanaReevesLungs I can keep rhythm with no metronome...

Speaking of wetbacks, I have a 5'6", 300+ pounder, dumb as rocks and stinks to high heaven one sitting right next to me. Fucker was adding up all of column A together, B together and C together rather than just his recap. I wanted to bitch slap him when he told me he drove over 100 hours. I'll have to point out the same error tonight. I give him 3 more days or he's done.
  24. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

I see your trucks in south Omaha all the time off of Kennedy Expway and F street. You must haul flour out of there. Good equipment from what I have seen.
  25. BrianFromIowa

BrianFromIowa Oh no. Donator

There's a ConAgra flour mill right there southwest of the 75/80 interchange.

We haul out of the ConAgra on 16th St north of Cummings St also. That's a fun one at 3am. You know that 'hood, the kind Anthony would rant about......wink wink.

Also, I run mostly at night so, uh if you you're a trooper.....uh, you can just ignore that bulkmatic truck that's always running west from there.....uh......I swear I can only speed going downhill.