Visiting NYC the last week of Oct.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Dicktator, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Dicktator

Dicktator I have a comma Bitches!

Yes another one of these threads.

Me, the wife and two children are visiting the area for 4 days. I have no clue what to expect. All my priorities revolve around safety of my family.

1. No hotel yet but looking at Manhattan and it's expensive. With no car and going to have to taxi every where i don't know of an alternative. Any suggestions?

2. Flying into La Guardia on a Sunday, will all taxis take me into Manhattan? What will it cost. Do they only take cash?(don't really want alot of cash on me).

3. My oldest loves Chicagos museum of science and industry. So if we can only go to one museum what should it be.

4. For myself i would like to go to see the Intrepid air museum.

5. Should we do the site seeing busses? Where to catch them?

6. Any cheap or free things to do with kids would be helpful.
  2. Psychopath

Psychopath Big Jack Zelig Donator

3. UCJOE

UCJOE I have a lot of business with the Chinese

Me, the wife and two children are visiting the area for 4 days. I have no clue what to expect. All my priorities revolve around safety of my family.

1. No hotel yet but looking at Manhattan and it's expensive. With no car and going to have to taxi every where i don't know of an alternative. Any suggestions?

Stay in midtown and a lot is within walking distance

2. Flying into La Guardia on a Sunday, will all taxis take me into Manhattan? What will it cost. Do they only take cash?(don't really want alot of cash on me).

Taxi's allow use of credit cards and there is a set fee from airports. look it up online in advance so you know the fare

3. My oldest loves Chicagos museum of science and industry. So if we can only go to one museum what should it be.

http://www.ny.com/museums/all.museums.html

4. For myself i would like to go to see the Intrepid air museum.

ok lol

5. Should we do the site seeing busses? Where to catch them?

no they seem to suck but i think you can catch them near port authority 42nd & 8th. you can find tours based around TV shows like Seinfeld, Sex And The City and I think Soprano's if you research, if your family likes the same show that can be more fun that a tour bus that is all info and no entertainment

6. Any cheap or free things to do with kids would be helpful.

wander around broadway, you'll see vouchers for discount tix on some shows, museums and places like Empire St Building and go to Ground Zero (not fun but historical), The west village in manhattan gets crazy during halloween so remember that

you can always stand in front of sirius with anti-stern signs and then kiss up to artie & fred when you see them (if you want to relive 2006 ) & maybe a lucky night at http://www.comedycellar.com you might see some comics you heard of
  4. Larz

Larz ****Self-Banned****

Lower Manhattan theres Chinatown-Ground Zero-Wall Street-Battery Park/Statue of Liberty. Good for a days stroll and won't cost anything (unless you want to actually pay to visit the statue).

34th st. Empire State Building? bit of a $$$ trap for a family.

Broadway (from 42-48th ish) Are you impressed by lots of flashing lights? go there at night.

Intrepid- This is A+. My personal favorite tourist trap.

Columbus circle- FAO Schwartz toy store if your kids are young enough to appreciate that stuff... you can also dip your toe into central park or gawk at some of the highest priced real estate on Earth.

further uptown- Natural history museum (Planetarium is only good for the 1/2 hour astronomy movie).

135th st. and Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard: The only IHOP in Manhattan. Fun for the whole family.
    ok not really recommended. but I went there with a couple buddies just this past weekend as a goof expecting a bit of
    safari adventure, ended up being very tame.
  5. Dicktator

Thanks for the info so far. How many hours should a trip to Statue of Liberty take?
  6. UCJOE

http://www.statuecruises.com/ - google is your internet info machine lol

I never took any of these things living in Union City NJ (5 minutes from manhattan) but the info is pretty easy to find about cost, time and anything else

the comedy celler is a good O&A referenced spot though and on most nights you will find a comic you know there
  7. NortonsGravyLeg

NortonsGravyLeg Registered User

I did an Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty trip in about 5 hours. Took the ferry from Liberty State Park in New Jersey and then from Ellis Island to the statue. Don't know about today this was in 92 so prices and things could have changed. For all I know they could have a ferry from Battery Park in lower Manhadddddin.
  8. DonTheTrucker

DonTheTrucker I talk on the radio. No, really, I do.

Tip number one:

Don't eat at any of the tourist trap places (Carnegie Deli, Brooklyn Diner, Russian Tea Room etc.)

There are a million little places to eat, just walk into one and you'll probably have a great meal.
  9. FAZ8218

FAZ8218 Good eeeeeeeevening. Wackbag Staff

Nothing's better than Central Park in the fall.

oh... I almost forgot... (insert "go to generic Harlem Street" joke here)
  10. chumpy

chumpy I think they missed a spot Donator

If you want specific food recommendations, I can help. If you want culture, your on your own.
  11. Bluestreak

Bluestreak This space intentionally left blank. Donator

Stay well south of the 100's
  12. chumpy

I mean you're on your own. (before I'm bashed)
  13. Dicktator

Absolutely looking forward to Central Park. Love outdoors.
  14. Dicktator

And since I'm dummy who doesn't know how to mulit-quote

^^^^^This is what kind of info i really need.
  15. chumpy

That's how you do it :action-sm
  16. Dicktator

How's 72nd st. Is that south eough to be safe. And anything to see on Wallstreet.
  17. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home. Donator

That's plenty south to be safe and there really is nothing to see on Wallstreet.
  18. GLENN_THE_TOOL

GLENN_THE_TOOL The reward is cheese.

the last week of October? make sure you swing by 6th Avenue in the Village for the Halloween parade. leave your pants at home, but don't forget your leather chaps.
  19. Dicktator

Bump until i get to NY tomorrow. Should i reserve a car service for picking up and dropping off to the airport or rely on taxi's. And will the hotel help with getting taxis or anyone have some reliable taxis service #'s. weather looks decent, and we have tickets to jimmy fallon for tuesday.
  20. chiapeteater

chiapeteater ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ Donator

Stay home.
  21. gleet

gleet What's black and white and red all over?

My parents drove there in 1979 for a funeral. While eating breakfast, their trunk was popped and luggage was stolen. Savages. I wouldn't go.

Hope this helps.
  22. Buds Spuckley

Buds Spuckley Registered User

I always reserve a car when flying into NY, you can always grab a dollar cab that are unlicensed. A friend of mine did that when she came to visit me and the scumbag wanted $185 plus tip to go from JFK to Midtown.

If you grab a yellow cab there it should be around $45 bucks. I prefer not to waste time waiting at a cab stand and rather have a car waiting for me.

On the way back to the airport a taxi is fine.
  23. UCJOE

Yellow cabs are everywhere & they have set fee's from airports to Manhattan - http://gonyc.about.com/cs/airlinesairports/a/getto_jfk.htm
  24. FMDoug

FMDoug Registered User

I don't know what your plan is but 72nd and anything is really nice. Depending on which side of the park you are on it's the upper west or upper east side. The rich people live in these areas.

There is nothing to see on wall street? How about the stock market? The oldest cemetery in NYC? If you go just a bit north and east it's the fulton fish market (you get a great view of the Brooklyn bridge). Just a bit north and west its the world trade center. Just a bit south and you get to battery park to see US bankruptcy court and the statute of liberty.

If you stay in the city then you don't need a car. Just take the subways and buses. If you don't feel safe doing that at night then you can take a taxi. They are relatively cheap at night when there is no traffic. Here is some advice for using taxi's: never take them cross town during rush hour because it is faster and much cheaper to walk.

There is really no need to do anything but walk around the city and take in the atmosphere. You can plan a section of the city each day or you can plan the walk around a certain restaurant you want to eat at. Sometimes if I'm bored or have time to kill I just walk. I've done battery park to midtown, midtown to the upper west side (to the natural history museum), all around the upper east side, city hall to Houston (house - ton). Each time I find something new and exciting. It might be a movie production or a jazz concert or a street performer but I'm never disappointed. (here is where they film each day: http://www.onlocationvacations.com/category/daily-filming-locations/)

I wouldn't do a site seeing bus. I've never done one but I have this feeling they are overpriced. You can just get a site seeing book and a full day metro card and take a city bus. I've seen those tour buses drive right through little italy and just point things out. They don't even stop to sample the culture. On a city bus you can at least get off.

The sony museum is good for the kids. http://wondertechlab.sony.com/ There is also the NBC studio tour which you can do before seeing fallon (get to fallon early). FAO, toysrus in times square, natural history museum... You can even get scalped tix to the world series. During games, the train ride from the city to yankee stadium is safe and easy. If you want to venture to queens (take the 7 from grand central to 111th street), go to the New York Hall of Science. Your kids will LOVE it. I went there every year of elementary school and with my friends in college. Ten years later it didn't lose it's luster. then you can walk one block to the lemon ice king. The best ices ever. It's best to do that walk during the day. It isn't the best neighborhood.

If you are staying in the city you don't have to worry about getting a taxi anywhere. If you want to save money from the airport to the city then you can walk away from the airport and get a taxi off it's premises. It will save you the flat fee and cost about 20 to get to the city, but then you are wasting time (for reference: Upper east side to Queens blvd and union turnpike is 25 bucks)

The best tip i can give you is to be safe. It's not a dangerous city but if you take a wrong turn you can meet the wrong person. Don't go above 130th street at night without being in a taxi or car (it gets iffy at about 115 but it gets dark at 130). Don't take your kids west of 8th avenue at night unless you want to see some seedy people. And don't venture past avenue B at night.

Any more questions - just ask.
  25. GLENN_THE_TOOL

GLENN_THE_TOOL The reward is cheese.

another tip: you can sometimes haggle with livery cab drivers. so if a yellow cab isn't around (which is a rarity, really) and a livery cab pulls up, try negotiating with him and you might be able to Jew...er...chew down the price.