10 Charged in Hanukkah hate crime assault on Brooklyn train

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
December 11, 2007

A Hanukkah greeting among passengers on a Q train set off an altercation that resulted in ten people being charged with hate crimes yesterday, police said.

The incident in which four people were assaulted took place on a Q train at the DeKalb Avenue station in Brooklyn.

It began after the four victims exchanged Hanukkah greetings and one of the assailants made anti-Semetic remarks about Jews killing Jesus, saying, "This is a Christian country," sources said.

The group of 19 and 20-year-olds then allegedly attacked the four passengers, who suffered minor bruises and swelling. They were charged with assault and unlawful assembly.

Michael LaBarbera, 39, whose son Michael Jr. 20, was not charged with assault said that the victims had shouted obscenities about Jesus, and one of them pulled a knife.

:icon_roll

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Thank God, I no longer have to take subway to work every day. Seriously, the shit I've seen on the J and E trains.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
10 Charged in Hanukkah hate crime assault on Brooklyn train
This is stupid! How can anyone assult a train? C'mon...what typ a idiot they think we are?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I call it a Channukah Chate Crime because I like alliteration

mendozathejew

Mar 12, 2005
jersey
A suspected bias attack on four Jewish subway riders has resulted in a friendship between the Jewish victims and the Muslim college student who came to their aid.

Walter Adler is calling Hassan Askari a hero for intervening when Adler and three friends were assaulted on a subway train in lower Manhattan on Friday night.

The altercation erupted when Adler and his friends said "Happy Hanukkah" to a group yelling "Merry Christmas" on the Brooklyn-bound train.

The 20-year-old Askari said he tried to fight off the 10 attackers, giving Adler a chance to summon police by pulling an emergency brake.

"I did what I thought was right," said Askari, a student at Berkeley College in Manhattan, who was allegedly punched and beaten. "I did the best that I could to help."

Eight men and two women have pleaded not guilty to assault, menacing and other charges in the case. Prosecutors have said the charges could be upgraded to hate crimes.

"That a random Muslim kid helped some Jewish kids, that's what's positive about New York," said Adler, 23, who suffered a broken nose and a lip wound.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3481929,00.html

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
A suspected bias attack on four Jewish subway riders has resulted in a friendship between the Jewish victims and the Muslim college student who came to their aid.

Walter Adler is calling Hassan Askari a hero for intervening when Adler and three friends were assaulted on a subway train in lower Manhattan on Friday night.

The altercation erupted when Adler and his friends said "Happy Hanukkah" to a group yelling "Merry Christmas" on the Brooklyn-bound train.

The 20-year-old Askari said he tried to fight off the 10 attackers, giving Adler a chance to summon police by pulling an emergency brake.

"I did what I thought was right," said Askari, a student at Berkeley College in Manhattan, who was allegedly punched and beaten. "I did the best that I could to help."

Eight men and two women have pleaded not guilty to assault, menacing and other charges in the case. Prosecutors have said the charges could be upgraded to hate crimes.

"That a random Muslim kid helped some Jewish kids, that's what's positive about New York," said Adler, 23, who suffered a broken nose and a lip wound.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3481929,00.html
Now that's what I call a happy and all inclusive Winter Carnival story. :D