$10 million in taxpayer money for Pakistani version of Sesame Street

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Coburn Releases 'Wastebook' Detailing More Than $6.5 Billion in 'Unnecessary' Spending
Published December 20, 2011
| FoxNews.com
Print Email Share Comments

AP
Sen. Tom Coburn's "Wastebook 2011," released Tuesday, details more than $65 billion in "unnecessary" spending.
Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn on Tuesday released his annual "Wastebook" highlighting what he's labeled some of the government's most wasteful spending items, including $113,000 for a video game preservation center and $765,000 to subsidize "pancakes for yuppies" in Washington.
Coburn, a Republican who is known around Washington as "Dr. No" for his opposition to excess spending, said in a press release Tuesday that his "Wastebook 2011" details the "most egregious ways your taxpayer dollars were wasted" -- items he claims total more than $6.5 billion in "unnecessary" spending.
Related Video

Coburn's 'Wastebook 2010'
GOP senator's list of wasteful projects
"Video games, robot dragons, Christmas trees, and magic museums. This is not a Christmas wish list, these are just some of the ways the federal government spent your tax dollars," Coburn said in a statement.
Among the items on Coburn's list include $10 million for a remake of "Sesame Street" for Pakistan and $764,825 to examine how college students use mobile devices for social networking.
The "Wastebook" also claims $550,000 was spent for a documentary about how rock music contributed to the collapse of the Soviet Union as well as $48,700 for a festival promoting Hawaii's chocolate industry.
"Instead of cutting wasteful spending, nearly $2.5 billion was added each day in 2011 to our national debt, which now exceeds $15 trillion," Coburn said.
Coburn noted that nearly $1 million went to projects in his own state, including nearly $400,000 for the state's agriculture department to study how different colors on shade cloths affect vegetable growth.
In his report, Coburn, who used very colorful language to describe what has been his campaign to rein in deficit spending, wrote that while some of the items listed in the book may have merit, they are not national priorities, and shouldn't be undertaken when the country can't deal with a massive and growing deficit.
He added that with a 9 percent approval rating, "perhaps there was no bigger waste of the
taxpayer's money in 2011 than Congress itself."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...than-65-billion-in-unnecessary/#ixzz1h7l6Zpnz

Here is the full report from Coburn:
http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public...&File_id=b69a6ebd-7ebe-41b7-bb03-c25a5e194365

Remake of “Sesame Street” for Pakistan – (U.S. Agency for International
Development) $10 Million
In 2010, Rafi Peer Theatre Workshop, a Pakistani arts organization, was awarded $20 million
over the next four years, to create ―130 episodes of an indigenously produced Sesame Street
The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) provided the first $10 million for the
project in FY 2011. The Pakistan Sesame Street would be produced in cooperation with
Sesame Workshop , creators of the original Sesame Street.

According to news sources, the show will be renamed SimSim Humara‖ and set in a lively
village in Pakistan with a roadside tea and snacks stall, known as a dhaba, some fancy houses
with overhanging balconies along with simple dwellings, and residents hanging out on their
verandas.

The only character adopted from the original Sesame Street will be the furry red monster Elmo.
The rest of the puppet cast will be made up of new local characters, including a conceited welldwelling crocodile named Haseen O Jameel a ―spirited adult woman, Baaji, who enjoys family
time and tradition, and Baily, a hard-working donkey who longs to be a pop star.

Faizaan Peerzada, the head of the Rafi Peer Theatre Workshop defended the $20 million project,
saying ―The idea is to prepare and inspire a child to go on the path of learning, and inspire the
parents of the child to think that the child must be educated,‖

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Nothing? I guess there isn't much to say except "sounds about right".

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
It seems better than Hamas' version in Palestine where they espoused the views of love and understanding.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
I have a hard time getting upset over $10M. Congress loses that in their couch cushions every night.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
I have a hard time getting upset over $10M. Congress loses that in their couch cushions every night.
Coburn Releases 'Wastebook' Detailing More Than $6.5 Billion in 'Unnecessary' Spending
Lots of $10 millions add up quick...

Lots of dummies don't care because $10 million is no big deal.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Found a sneak preview...

[video=youtube;eeii225G-HM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeii225G-HM&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;mi0nDoG5bRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0nDoG5bRU&feature=relmfu[/video]

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Silverdale, WA
Lots of $10 millions add up quick...

Lots of dummies don't care because $10 million is no big deal.
If you have a papercut and a severed carotid artery, which do you pay attention to more? I guess you'd prefer treating 100 papercuts to one severed artery.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
of course none of the federal spending in HIS district is wasteful :rolleyes: just dont ask him how much in stimulus money went to make-work projects there. :D

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I just wrote a song!

Merry Christmas Fat Girl
Merry Christmas Fat Girl
Merry Christmas Fat Giiirrrrrrrlllllll
Merry Christmas Fat Girl

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
I just wrote a song!

Merry Christmas Fat Girl
Merry Christmas Fat Girl
Merry Christmas Fat Giiirrrrrrrlllllll
Merry Christmas Fat Girl
you really have nothing other than calling me fat do you? Why that is amusing to your retard brain is beyond everyone. Now give us all a christmas present, eat a bullet.

posted edited for your pleasure.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
you really have nothing other than calling me fat do you? Why that is amusing to your retard brain is beyond everyone. Now give us all a christmas present, eat a bullet.

posted edited for your pleasure.
Whoa, Whoa, calm down buddy. What did that doctor already say about letting yourself get stressed and aggravating your hypertension.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
Whoa, Whoa, calm down buddy. What did that doctor already say about letting yourself get stressed and aggravating your hypertension.
not stressed at all. VT never has offered anything of value here, and the trend continues with his latest post. He takes a shot at me, I shoot back, thats the way the game works until he gets so upset he posts something over the line and the mods have to warn him.

so back on topic... gov waste = spending in someone elses congressional district. Spending in YOUR congressional district = needed projects. :D

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
not stressed at all. VT never has offered anything of value here, and the trend continues with his latest post. He takes a shot at me, I shoot back, thats the way the game works until he gets so upset he posts something over the line and the mods have to warn him.

so back on topic... gov waste = spending in someone elses congressional district. Spending in YOUR congressional district = needed projects. :D
Good, good, you've calmed down. that's good to see.... HEY! close that fridge door!

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
On the first day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of Twinkies.
On the second day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of Ding Dongs.
On the third day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of gravy packages.
On the fourth day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of stuffing mix.
On the fifth day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of Oreo Double Stuffed daddy love!
On the sixth day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of Cookie Crisp.
On the seventh day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of ice cream sammiches.
On the eighth day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of butter brickle ice cream.
On the ninth day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of chicken pot pies.
On the tenth day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of jelly filled doughnuts.
On the eleventh day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of Jack in the Box Tacos.
On the twelfth day of Christmas a fat girl had to eat, a whole entire box of French Bread pizzas.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
more, please more... shows how witty you are. no really. off topic attack posts are the best. they make this a better place.

you looking at the internet must look alot like a retard staring at the rotating microwave platter. Yer parents keep telling you stop, but it just doesnt sink in.

lets hear another nonsensical fat joke.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
I gotta wonder why MagicBob's seems so annoyed. I'm just singing about fat girls over here.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
I gotta wonder why MagicBob's seems so annoyed. I'm just singing about fat girls over here.
not annoyed at all, just laughing at you.

just playing the game and letting you look as stupid as you would like there Nancy.

pretty soon other retards will chime in on the same game and ya'll will spend hours spinning yer wheels.

OccupyWackbag

Dec 12, 2011
more, please more... shows how witty you are. no really. off topic attack posts are the best. they make this a better place.

you looking at the internet must look alot like a retard staring at the rotating microwave platter. Yer parents keep telling you stop, but it just doesnt sink in.

lets hear another nonsensical fat joke.
Always has to come back around to the kitchen doesn't it Mr. Mc Tuberson.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
not annoyed at all, just laughing at you.

just playing the game and letting you look as stupid as you would like there Nancy.

pretty soon other retards will chime in on the same game and ya'll will spend hours spinning yer wheels.
Always has to come back around to the kitchen doesn't it Mr. Mc Tuberson.
you dont miss a cue do ya?