$15 minimum wage plan fast tracked in Seattle

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
It only failed because they didn't raise it high enough!

Floyd1977

Surprise surprise surprise

Seattle’s minimum wage hike hurting low-level workers, study says

Seattle's first-in-the-nation $15 per hour minimum wage law is hurting the workers it aimed to help, a new study has found.
The working poor are making more per hour but taking home less pay. The University of Washington paper asserts the new wages boosted worker pay by 3 percent, but also resulted in a 9-percent reduction in hours and a $125 cut to the monthly paychecks.

The law also cost the city 5,000 jobs, the report said.

Seattle's minimum wage ordinance, passed by the Seattle City Council and signed by Mayor Ed Murray in 2014, was sold as a way to close the income inequality gap and help those struggling at the bottom of the economic ladder. More than a dozen cities and counties, mostly in California and New York, followed suit.
"This is a two-edged sword," said Jacob Vigdor, one of the team of researchers studying the issues for Seattle. "And if you raise this minimum wage the way Seattle did you run the risk of actually taking money away from the people you are trying to help."

The study was published as a "working paper" on Monday by the National Bureau of Economic Research.
A national campaign called "Fight for $15" aims to bring higher wages across the country by worker strikes and demonstrations.

The Seattle mayor tweeted his rebuttal of the study, and previously cited Seattle's growing economy and low unemployment as evidence that higher wages are not bad for the city.

The facts: Seattle's economy is booming, with wages increasing & restaurants & retail among our fastest growing job sectors," he wrote on Twitter.
But Louise Chernin, CEO of the Greater Seattle Business Association, said jobs should be increasing at a higher rate.

"You'd think with the amount of people moving into Seattle and the number of businesses and restaurants that are opening, we'd be hiring more people," she said. "It just shows me they are struggling."

The study shows not everybody is struggling, however. Job growth in the city is strong, up 13 percent in the past year – but only for those making more than $19 per hour.
I know libs live in some fantasy land that I guess I'll never know, but they had to see this coming right? Not that I want to underestimate but they must have at least some rudimentary concept of economics.

Or I guess it's just a scheme to get more people on unemployment or other services and the subsequent votes.

Dinesh D'Souza put it very well. There's a wall and the Dems give you a rope and pull you up only halfway where your still low enough to not be able to climb up the rest of the way yourself, but too high to let go.

domelogic

I know libs live in some fantasy land that I guess I'll never know, but they had to see this coming right? Not that I want to underestimate but they must have at least some rudimentary concept of economics.

Or I guess it's just a scheme to get more people on unemployment or other services and the subsequent votes.

Dinesh D'Souza put it very well. There's a wall and the Dems give you a rope and pull you up only halfway where your still low enough to not be able to climb up the rest of the way yourself, but too high to let go.

They have very little concept of money. It is just paper to them. The world is full of roses and everything is just fine if you follow their lead. Problem is when it hits home to them personally, all of a sudden it is wrong and someone has to pay. That is when they turn and blame the bad repubs for something they instituted( look no further than Obamacare). Another example is California passing single payer healthcare with absolutely no way to pay for it. You have the wealthy in Cali all wanting more taxes, take more of your paycheck for everything, yet they will never be affected because their wealth is basically untouchable. It is a mental disorder when it comes to budgets, entitlements, and money in general that is not their own.

mascan42

Not only didn't they see it coming, now that it's already happened, they'll deny it. And once it becomes completely obvious to even a drooling retard that their plan failed, it'll be the Republicans' fault.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
They have very little concept of money. It is just paper to them. The world is full of roses and everything is just fine if you follow their lead. Problem is when it hits home to them personally, all of a sudden it is wrong and someone has to pay. That is when they turn and blame the bad repubs for something they instituted( look no further than Obamacare). Another example is California passing single payer healthcare with absolutely no way to pay for it. You have the wealthy in Cali all wanting more taxes, take more of your paycheck for everything, yet they will never be affected because their wealth is basically untouchable. It is a mental disorder when it comes to budgets, entitlements, and money in general that is not their own.

Start taking people 50+% of their total worth and you will see them starting to realize what is going on. Because that is the only way they are going to realize that it's un sustainable.
Like you said their wealth is "un touchable, because they are so wealthy, start slamming them for money in the bank, not just the interest on the money they earn and you will see their tune change quickly

Read where there have been 60 restaurants close in the bay area because of the $15 minimum wage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

THE FEZ MAN

Read where there have been 60 restaurants close in the bay area because of the $15 minimum wage.

I'm not surprised one bit, and if you listen to garbage of the people who support this it's always "greed driven owners" spoken by people who have never had to write pay checks

Start taking people 50+% of their total worth and you will see them starting to realize what is going on. Because that is the only way they are going to realize that it's un sustainable.
Like you said their wealth is "un touchable, because they are so wealthy, start slamming them for money in the bank, not just the interest on the money they earn and you will see their tune change quickly
We need to do away with the payroll tax. When people have to start writing checks to pay their taxes then their tune might change.

chumpy

No hopes of repair
It's My Birthday!
Donator

I knew this would happen. In NYC top line people are the ones who make 15. If you have to pay the dishwashers that much than you are fucked!

THE FEZ MAN

I will post the video of where it's response came from in a minute

(Name retracted) and why don't I work? Because I topped out at what I was able to physically make in my business after 25 years of doing it and I was paying more in taxes than I was making.

What that little video skips over, (and they always do) all raising the minimum wage does, is give everyone that has earned their way up the ladder a pay cut.

Now the response is "then your employer should give you a raise to cover the difference" well, that's always easier said than done.

Let's break it down, on a small business level.

You are are charging 50$ an hour (prevailing labor rate, you absolutely can charge more, but, that doesn't mean you will get paid for it)

Class A skilled laborer is paid 20$ an hour 15-20 years of experience the guy who solves problems for you, and is responsible for two other men, minimum.

Apprentice 1O$ an hour 3-5 years of experience, now this guy does the most work, but that's because he's following

The problem solving orders of the guy above him, and will eventually take the place of the guy above him.

Entry level 7.50$ no experience, is generally responsible for the problems, but is vital, because paying a class a labor to do entry level tasks is a waste of problem solving skills, and, it provides vital training so eventually this entry level employee will become a class a labor producer

So, that's 37.50$ an hour in just labor cost

Add on to that an easy 10$ an hour for over head, materials, taxes etc.

so, the "big boss man" is making a whopping 2.50$ per labor hour "profit"

Now notice the pay scale, and the number of years worked to obtain that pay rate, what do you realistically think would happen if an owner was forced to pay an entry level employee 15$ an hour?

Raise labor rates? Good luck with that. What he's going to do is fire the entry level employee, and find a cheaper way to fill that void, be it some form of one time capital investments in automation, make that entry level position a part time job or, just delegate the other two higher skilled employees to do entry level work.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
(Name retracted) and why don't I work? Because I topped out at what I was able to physically make in my business after 25 years of doing it and I was paying more in taxes than I was making.
What? How the fuck would he be paying more in taxes than he's earning? Does he live in Sweden?

That's a lie right off the bat.

And topping out in pay after 25 years? Does he think people deserve a carved-in-stone raise every year just because they keep showing up?

I once dated a ditzy girl who was a photographer for the local mackerel-wrapper newspaper. She had been doing it for 10 years, and she constantly bitched that they wouldn't give her a raise. She seriously thought she deserved a raise every year just for showing up and doing the same snapping pictures idiocy.

domelogic

domelogic

What? How the fuck would he be paying more in taxes than he's earning? Does he live in Sweden?

And topping out in pay after 25 years? Does he think people deserve a carved-in-stone raise every year just because they keep showing up?

I once dated a ditzy girl who was a photographer for the local mackerel-wrapper newspaper. She had been doing it for 10 years, and she constantly bitched that they wouldn't give her a raise. She seriously thought she deserved a raise every year just for showing up and doing the same snapping pictures idiocy.

I thought the same thing. Unless you have to pay malpractice insurance or something(and that is not a tax), paying more in taxes then you make is a big lie.

I have a friend who is a teacher that complains all the time he hit his max pay. I said but what about all those years where you were earning more than what you should have? It evens out because it just can't rise like that forever but that is the mindset

Floyd1977

To be fair here, while I know there no guarantees in an employer/employee relationship other than what was agreed upon at the time of hire, it's not entirely outrageous to expect some small cost of living increases every once and awhile. Especially if that person does a good enough job to last for 10 years.

I don't care for employees that constantly think they are owed something extraordinary just for showing up and doing the bare minimum, but employers who refuse to give raises after several years of service (assuming they can afford to) are kind of dickish too.

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
To be fair here, while I know there no guarantees in an employer/employee relationship other than what was agreed upon at the time of hire, it's not entirely outrageous to expect some small cost of living increases every once and awhile. Especially if that person does a good enough job to last for 10 years.

I don't care for employees that constantly think they are owed something extraordinary just for showing up and doing the bare minimum, but employers who refuse to give raises after several years of service (assuming they can afford to) are kind of dickish too.
They did give her little 2/3% cola raises, but she wanted the big dollar-an-hour increment raises she was getting in the first few years of her job. She refused to understand that certain jobs(the vast majority of jobs) are only worth so much. You just couldn't justify paying a picture snapper more money at a certain point.

Her argument was that they should keep giving her big raises forever because of her "loyalty".

It's the union mentality. I deserve to make outrageously big bucks just because I reliably punch the clock like a good drone.

THE FEZ MAN

It's me, and it's not a lie. my last year of employment my entire pay check, was going to pay taxes, filing jointly, and, it did not cover 1/3 of the tax burden. By me quitting my job, and becoming a dependent we saved my entire salary in taxes alone.

The example I gave was my actual job experience for years managing a body shop.

There was no such thing as cost of living raises, it was work harder or get fired, and in reality 1/2 of the labor rate (generally set by the insurance company, as "prevailing rate") and that was absolute maximum. Didn't matter where I worked. Now if you choose to work "flat rate" in theory I could make more, but, you can make way way way less.

Paying an unskilled laborer 15$ an hour lowers the pay of the more skilled workers

Floyd1977

They did give her little 2/3% cola raises, but she wanted the big dollar-an-hour increment raises she was getting in the first few years of her job. She refused to understand that certain jobs(the vast majority of jobs) are only worth so much. You just couldn't justify paying a picture snapper more money at a certain point.

Her argument was that they should keep giving her big raises forever because of her "loyalty".

It's the union mentality. I deserve to make outrageously big bucks just because I reliably punch the clock like a good drone.
I worked for a company once and while I was doing pretty well (working my ass off), my manager, who had recently replaced another guy, would often tell me I should be making more for what I do, I'll see what I can do about that. And while I do think he was sincere, ultimately with him trying so survive in position that was like being a soldier in the Mob (could get whacked at any time, which he eventually did) I knew that effort was going to be pretty low on his priority list. And it would have been even less likely that the higher ups would approve. Of course, it didn't take me very long to realize this. And of course, when I eventually got another job offer, they very quickly had an epiphany of generosity. I still left though.

So I guess I have some sympathy to employees getting their due. Now a 100% increase in minimum wage is ridiculous. And people who just show up with their hand constantly out suck. But sometimes employers can certainly be stingy as well.

Ya you would be a complete idiot to open a restaurant there now... as basically for the first few years you don't make any money.

Also any small manufacturer that was left there sure is to either close or move... so like the gun/bullet tax way to go idiots.

domelogic

It's me, and it's not a lie. my last year of employment my entire pay check, was going to pay taxes, filing jointly, and, it did not cover 1/3 of the tax burden. By me quitting my job, and becoming a dependent we saved my entire salary in taxes alone.

There was no such thing as cost of living raises, it was work harder or get fired, and in reality 1/2 of the labor rate (generally set by the insurance company, as "prevailing rate") and that was absolute maximum. Didn't matter where I worked. Now if you choose to work "flat rate" in theory I could make more, but, you can make way way way less.

Paying an unskilled laborer 15$ an hour lowers the pay of the more skilled workers

That is different then a person just paying more then they make in taxes. If you were not married there is no way for that to happen but two good earners can absolutely happen. We paid over 60k in taxes last year so fuck you to those who think I don't pay my share. There was a huge jump in taxes once I matched my wife in pay. Now getting a commission check or her getting a bonus is nice but we kiss 40% good bye before ever seeing an actual check and that money is never coming back.

Your very last point is something these 15dollars per hour dimwits can not comprehend. Own a business before spouting off or shut the fuck up. 95% of people have no idea of what goes into running a business.

If I was you I'd start a small business at home... then you and write a whole bunch of shit off... even renovations. The only pain is keeping track of everything... not bad for me now with one business but when I was running three putting stuff in the right box was a tad tedious but hey got back most of Planetoid Von Beerkegs taxes back.

Funny story (not really) the last year we were married she wanted to file separate... and I go you want to throw away $6k? Even she wasn't that stupid and we filed jointly for the last time.

Floyd1977

Ya you would be a complete idiot to open a restaurant there now... as basically for the first few years you don't make any money.

Also any small manufacturer that was left there sure is to either close or move... so like the gun/bullet tax way to go idiots.
I guess the left will never see the irony that they're killing all those small business they profess to wanting to protect.

ysr50

Donator
I make six figures and take home five. Woe is me.

THE FEZ MAN

If I was you I'd start a small business at home... then you and write a whole bunch of shit off... even renovations. The only pain is keeping track of everything... not bad for me now with one business but when I was running three putting stuff in the right box was a tad tedious but hey got back most of Planetoid Von Beerkegs taxes back.

Funny story (not really) the last year we were married she wanted to file separate... and I go you want to throw away $6k? Even she wasn't that stupid and we filed jointly for the last time.
Not really, I wish it were as simple as opening a small business, then we would have to file separate, then she loses me as a deduction, and by the time we were done paying corporate fees and other nonsense we would still have to pay taxes, we talked to a tax attorney about it, she suggested, to keep it simple, and just have me be the tax burden