$15 minimum wage plan fast tracked in Seattle

Floyd1977

Good Christ, people are sensitive.

And the $15 min wage continues to do what anyone with an even rudimentary unerstanding of economics knew it would.

Steakhouse owner ripped over objection to rising minimum wage
By Lisa Fickenscher

One Big Apple steakhouse owner’s beef with the rising minimum wage got him grilled on social media on Monday.

Willie “Jack” Degel, long an outspoken critic of rising minimum wages and their effect on restaurants, talked himself into the firestorm when he inadvertently knocked both his customers and his employees during an interview on national TV.

Degel, who owns Uncle Jack’s Steakhouse and starred in Food Network’s reality television show “Restaurant Stakeout,” first put his foot in his mouth when he was asked about how the rising minimum wage affects his eateries.

Degel said he can’t just pass the added cost to his customers because they are “not educated” about the economics of running a restaurant.

The businessman also said it was harder to keep his employees today because wait staff, like those at other restaurants, have a “sense of entitlement.”

After the comments, made on “Fox & Friends,” Degel’s Twitter feed blew up with hate tweets.

“Omg! I would never patronize a place that thinks so little of its staff,” jacottrell tweeted. “Calling your staff entitled and prefer when they were servants? Good grief man!”

“This makes me sad,” tweeted sdusn06. “We go have brunch there at least once a month Guess We will find another place.”

While Degel clearly fumbled the interview, many restaurant owners are feeling the pain of rising minimum wages.

Many eateries are seeing their profits squeezed, or worse, as wages rise.

The amount of vacant food service space in Manhattan has never been higher, according to real estate experts.

From 96th Street to Lower Manhattan there are 3,700 available food service spaces — or more than twice the average number for a normal market, according to James Famularo, senior director of Eastern Consolidated.

“One could conclude that more restaurants are closing than opening,” Famularo said, referring to the Costar data he crunched.

“I’ve never handled more closures than in the past year,” said Carolyn Richmond, chair of Fox Rothschild LLP’s Hospitality Practice Group.

Rising minimum wages, rents and other costs have resulted in restaurants eliminating positions like busboys — and chains adopting new technology like kiosks that replace cashiers.

In New York City, many restaurateurs would like to add a catchall administrative fee to cover their increased costs — but City Hall has been sitting on a suggested change for at least two years.

Restaurants have asked officials to change a 40-year-old city rule to allow them to add a wage surcharge to bills.

The city’s Department of Consumer Affairs, which is responsible for the rule, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Such a surcharge is allowed in other cities.

Despite the rule, Degel and others have begun assessing a surcharge.

At his two-month-old Uncle Jack’s Meat House in Astoria, Degel tacks a 5 percent “fair wage fee” to all bills.

It goes to cover a mandated hike in the minimum wage.

Degel says the charge is necessary because his numbers “aren’t making sense anymore” — adding that everyone is concerned about next year, when the minimum wage goes to $15 from $13.

KRSOne

Small local pizza place closed down in Seattle and gets replaced by a new pizza place that charges more money.

I love seeing progressives who don't own a restaurant in Seattle laughing at small business owners for not being 'good business owners'. You didn't have to shut your restaurant down all you had to do was start charging customers more. Jimmy says you should go out of business if you can't adapt your business to do well under progressive policies. Isn't that what happened in countries like Venezuela?

That was one of the things I and others said would happen. Either people would lose their jobs or prices would go up. The amount of paper in the pockets of minimum wage workers would go up but their purchasing power would stay the same. As always progressive policies only end up hurting the middle class that didn't get a government mandated raise so now their purchasing power has gone down.

Floyd1977

Small local pizza place closed down in Seattle and gets replaced by a new pizza place that charges more money.

I love seeing progressives who don't own a restaurant in Seattle laughing at small business owners for not being 'good business owners'. You didn't have to shut your restaurant down all you had to do was start charging customers more. Jimmy says you should go out of business if you can't adapt your business to do well under progressive policies. Isn't that what happened in countries like Venezuela?

That was one of the things I and others said would happen. Either people would lose their jobs or prices would go up. The amount of paper in the pockets of minimum wage workers would go up but their purchasing power would stay the same. As always progressive policies only end up hurting the middle class that didn't get a government mandated raise so now their purchasing power has gone down.
How much longer is it going to be before $15hr is not longer a “Living Wage”. Then what, universal income. Then what happens when every business knows that everyone is getting a least a certain amount of money each month?

I guess Trudeau needs to person-up and admit they were wrong.
Actually the previous Liberal gubmint did that... raised it to $14 and was supposed to go to $15 Jan 1st but "Trump 2" Doug Ford put the kibosh on it. Oh Doug Ford is the late Rob Ford's brother who was friggin hilarious as the mayor of Toronto.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
How much longer is it going to be before $15hr is not longer a “Living Wage”.
Just as soon prices go up to make $15hr commensurate with what ever the minimum is now. The people pushing for it have the delusion that everything will stay the same price because manufacturers and business owners will cover the increase out of kindness and moral obligation.

The next step will be cries for government regulated prices on goods and services so the minimum wage earners can be rich too.

Last edited:

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
So my snowflake daughter is fleeing Seattle because it's become too expensive to live there. Yet she fully supports every leftist position and policy that has led to it and every other liberal haven being in said condition.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

domelogic

So my snowflake daughter is fleeing Seattle because it's become too expensive to live there. Yet she fully supports every leftist position and policy that has led to it and every other liberal haven being in said condition.

So is she moving back to the safety and lower costs of fla or is she looking for more proof of dem run cities by moving to another utopia. My fear with my kids is them having that dumb thought process, he’ll a good portion of my family has it. Tds in full effect

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
So is she moving back to the safety and lower costs of fla or is she looking for more proof of dem run cities by moving to another utopia. My fear with my kids is them having that dumb thought process, he’ll a good portion of my family has it. Tds in full effect
Yup. The schools have pushed their lefty bullshit on my kids. Trying to shield them from it is not at all possible. We know all about the schools and teachers, but lefty parents have no problem indoctrinating their kids with "Orange Man Bad"...and so their kids are telling mine how much of a loser Trump is and how great things were when Obama was in office. Then he turns the TV on and is bombarded with TDS on the news and TV shows. How is he to know any better? Other than think Trump is the devil.

I don't remember ever being under that pressure as a kid. I mean, I grew up in the 80s and 90s in a town that was 99.3% white and overwhelmingly conservative, so that might've been part of the problem. But I knew my Dad was a big fan of Reagan and took me with him to vote for Dole. But the only thing he would tell me is to think for myself and keep an open mind when it comes to politics and life in general. Of course he also taught me right from wrong...and that "nothing is ever free in this world"...so in learning those lessons I was able to figure out that the left is so full of shit.

And hopefully, that's what my sons will do, but again...its alot of pressure.

domelogic

Yup. The schools have pushed their lefty bullshit on my kids. Trying to shield them from it is not at all possible. We know all about the schools and teachers, but lefty parents have no problem indoctrinating their kids with "Orange Man Bad"...and so their kids are telling mine how much of a loser Trump is and how great things were when Obama was in office. Then he turns the TV on and is bombarded with TDS on the news and TV shows. How is he to know any better? Other than think Trump is the devil.

I don't remember ever being under that pressure as a kid. I mean, I grew up in the 80s and 90s in a town that was 99.3% white and overwhelmingly conservative, so that might've been part of the problem. But I knew my Dad was a big fan of Reagan and took me with him to vote for Dole. But the only thing he would tell me is to think for myself and keep an open mind when it comes to politics and life in general. Of course he also taught me right from wrong...and that "nothing is ever free in this world"...so in learning those lessons I was able to figure out that the left is so full of shit.

I may have an advantage over you. My children attend private school. I am not thrilled with paying tuition and school taxes but the education is better and a lot less of the bs. The teachers care more while getting paid shit. Most of the parents are conservative and like trump. If we were to send them to public school, I don’t know if I could win that battle.

Floyd1977

You pretty accurately described my upbringing as well and how I'm dealing with my son. Right now he's 8 and he seems to be a fan of Trump (he wanted and received a Trumpy bear for his birthday, which I actually sort of discouraged as I didn't want friends of his telling his parents he had one. The town I live in is still majority conservative, but it seems inevitably we're getting more and more lefties invading so you never know. He also drew a not bad for a 6 year old portrait of Trump on Election Day 2016). I tell him to avoid saying anything about Trump at school and he seems to understand. I don't think, so far, he's getting politically indoctrinated (though they do seem to push "green" stuff). I also don't try to directly push him into a political opinion, but I guess my wife and I steer him a bit.

Last edited:

chumpy

No hopes of repair
Donator
This 15/hr bullshit is killing restaurants. Next up NYC

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Western PA. And I am sure it's partly because that state is already turning blue. She'll help it along, like every other liberal that moves somewhere and votes for people/things that turn the new place into something like the place they just left. So, you're welcome, PA folks.

domelogic

Western PA. And I am sure it's partly because that state is already turning blue. She'll help it along, like every other liberal that moves somewhere and votes for people/things that turn the new place into something like the place they just left. So, you're welcome, PA folks.

Gee thanks

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Good luck bro.

I think it will be a long, long time before there's another GOP governor in PA and I think that the legislature is going to gradually flip to a blue majority.

Floyd1977

Good luck bro.

I think it will be a long, long time before there's another GOP governor in PA and I think that the legislature is going to gradually flip to a blue majority.

Though PA was already more often Blue than not.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
It's purple. Went for Big Don in 2016 but has a Democrat governor and pretty close to a Republican majority in the legislature, at least it did.

Governorship tended to flip back and forth but I don't see any big names to seriously contend down the road. Wolf just won a second term.