1964 Chevy Impala SS question......

Dec 2, 2005
Missouri Valley, Ia
I bought a '64 impala ss back in 2011. Decent shape non running, non matching engine but whatever..

The paint code is saying 975. This is a two tone paint "Ember Red" bottom with "Desert Beige" top.

A couple of questions:
1. Is a two tone SS kinda rare? I googled imaged and can't find very many at all.

2. If you had this car and were doing a "sorta kinda" factory restoration would paint it that combo? (it's a nice look)

3. Should I find a '64 327 engine to have overhauled?

I am not a purist when it comes to old cars, but I do like them to at least look somewhat factory. I actually like the hubcaps that came on these SS's.

It currently has a 327 large journal (I guess it's out of a '67 four door chevelle) that doesn't run very well and orginal powerglide that doesn't shift very well.

I am not looking for a car to take to the track so big horsepower is not needed. I just want to cruise. So maybe a nice crate engine? GM has some decent priced long blocks. It more than likely end up with a Muncie in it. Either m21 or m22.

I will convert drums to disc and thanks to western Iowa mice, I will be rewiring EVERY FUCKING THING.

Any thoughts from the classic car people?

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Retro mod it. (New engine, tranny, brakes, etc...) Hope you hit Powerball.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
Since it's not numbers matching, it's not as big of a deal, but I'd still consider restoring. Those cars are only going to gain value and it's hard to find them in original, restoration quality.

This of course, is expensive, but let's face it, it's going to be expensive no matter what.

Personally, I'd retromod it too, but I'm still driving around my Dart with a 318 in it 12 years after saying I'd have a 340 in it by the time I graduated high school.

You can't go wrong with Don's suggestion either. 350's are common, reliable, and would certainly get the job done in your case.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Spend the restore money on the paint and interior. A basic cheap engine and trans will do.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Since you've already lost the original motor I'd just drop
a newer small block in it. A 350 would be fine. If you want
to keep an original look to it then pick up one that uses
the older style 4 bolt valve covers. From a quick look, all
the older mouse motors looked the same.

As for the body, if it is in fact a true SS (there's lots of
fakes out there) I'd say repaint it in the factory colors.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Restored stock it'll be worth about what you'd have to pay someone to do it. Then again the X frame is easy to remove and redo everything under it if you have a place to work on it. For a driver I'd choose an LS engine over a small block, 650hp dead reliable and good fuel milage is cheap fun.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
its not worth "restoring" your better off stripping it down, replacing the suspension with air bags, upgrading the brakes to full discs, and getting a complete fuel injected motor and 700r4 trans computer and wire harness out of a junk pickup truck, its going to cost about 12k for those parts, but all the stuff is bolt on and the engineering has already been done so there isn't much fiddling that has to be done. before you do anything tear the interior out and check under the back seat, they all rot there also check the bottoms of the "a" post for rot

Cunt Smasher

Caligula Jr.
Aug 26, 2005
its not worth "restoring" your better off stripping it down, replacing the suspension with air bags, upgrading the brakes to full discs, and getting a complete fuel injected motor and 700r4 trans computer and wire harness out of a junk pickup truck, its going to cost about 12k for those parts, but all the stuff is bolt on and the engineering has already been done so there isn't much fiddling that has to be done. before you do anything tear the interior out and check under the back seat, they all rot there also check the bottoms of the "a" post for rot
I would go that route too, but the parts will be cheaper in iowa, you have those chevy pickuos all over the place, you can buy a good running truck for $3000.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
I only gave $300 for a 5.3 out of a 2003 Tahoe with the computer..

The most expensive part to get it in a Malibu was the oil pan to clear crossmember, $500 with pickup relocate kit. Turned out to be cheaper to have a couple programs than to get an intake that would accept a carb.

MetalBender

I like fistables.
Dec 20, 2009
New Orleans....Iowa
Holy crap! I know where I can get an '89 S-10 with a Ford posi, 6.0 with vette heads, kitted 700r4, nice custom paint and nice tires and wheels for half that. It's not legal at the track unless is slowed down or caged and gets 24mpg.

There's one around with a turbo for $10,000 that's just nutty.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
my estimate includes list price for the parts and most of the labor plus a few k for "fuck this wont fit" shit. remember i do this for a living. i tack 2k on every nutty job like this to cover "fuck you" money i also included the full high end suspension kit, the soup to nuts disc brakes and a new wiring harness. the idea is to build a car that looks old, because it is, but starts and drives like a new one, if your going to do it, do it so you can enjoy it and drive it, i want my chick to be able to get into the car turn the key and drive away just like her new kia, the collector car market is DEAD, the "grand touring" market is alive and well, but you have to understand that most people with money now days are 30 somethings that have NEVER owned a car that they have to "fiddle with" but they want to look cool. you want to build a car that some retard that doesn't even know what a quadrajet is, will spend 35k to impress his golf buddies. or an old guy that wants a car that he drove in highschool but doesn't want to "fuck with " every time he gets into it. while your at it install a/c vintage air makes bolt in kits for about 1500$

Dec 2, 2005
Missouri Valley, Ia
my estimate includes list price for the parts and most of the labor plus a few k for "fuck this wont fit" shit. remember i do this for a living. i tack 2k on every nutty job like this to cover "fuck you" money i also included the full high end suspension kit, the soup to nuts disc brakes and a new wiring harness. the idea is to build a car that looks old, because it is, but starts and drives like a new one, if your going to do it, do it so you can enjoy it and drive it, i want my chick to be able to get into the car turn the key and drive away just like her new kia, the collector car market is DEAD, the "grand touring" market is alive and well, but you have to understand that most people with money now days are 30 somethings that have NEVER owned a car that they have to "fiddle with" but they want to look cool. you want to build a car that some retard that doesn't even know what a quadrajet is, will spend 35k to impress his golf buddies. or an old guy that wants a car that he drove in highschool but doesn't want to "fuck with " every time he gets into it. while your at it install a/c vintage air makes bolt in kits for about 1500$
I want a 1964 Chevy Impala SS. I want to fiddle with it and be mad at it. I want it to fuck to me in my ass by deciding not to start or just stop for no reason. There will never be an airbag nor fuel injection on this car ever. (a/c on the other hand more than likely will be. Doesn't have factory air. )

This car is not being fixed up for anyone else. What car collectors think of this means nothing to me. I would only sell this car to a like minded person and won't care if I don't get all of my money back out of it.

Most "car collectors" seem to be only concerned with the value of the car they are looking at instead of how amazing and beautiful the car is/or could be. Which is fine if that's your thing. I am a classic car enthusiast. Besides, restored to factory perfect condition this car would at best bring $22,000 +/- at an auction. Does not interest me.

THE FEZ MAN

Aug 23, 2002
knock your socks off, but i have to recommend a minimum of an HEI ignition, a one wire alternator and a new engine wire harness.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
knock your socks off, but i have to recommend a minimum of an HEI ignition, a one wire alternator and a new engine wire harness.
Absolutely. Every old car I've owned gets those upgrades.
I still run a carb and mechanical pumps but an HEI distributor
and an internally regulated alternator are a must.

Points and those old regulators on the radiator support stink.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Absolutely. Every old car I've owned gets those upgrades.
I still run a carb and mechanical pumps but an HEI distributor
and an internally regulated alternator are a must.

Points and those old regulators on the radiator support stink.
Listen to those with a shit ton of experience in the automotive field.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
I miss points
And adjusting them with a feeler gauge
Before I ever used a dwell meter
:D

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
First thing that stuck with me from my days at Vo-Tech in the 70's

Dwell = the number of degrees of distributor rotation while the points are closed

I think it was on every test we had that year