OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

1990 Rad Mobile arcade game

Discussion in 'Computer and Console Gaming' started by jnoble, Oct 7, 2012.

1. jnoble

jnoble Lingering longer for a longering linger

[​IMG]

Anyone remember this one? The only arcade that had it around me was the Gametown that used to be in Rockaway Mall in NJ. They closed down about 7 years ago. It's a cross-country road race (20 levels/citys) that had some pretty inventive features like a headlight button for dark tracks and a windshield wiper button for the rainy levels and cops that would chase you and pull you over if you slowed up too much. The sitdown version is the most fun way to play it, the whole thing swayed from side to side as you made tight turns. There were shortcuts as well to skip ahead to other levels if you knew where to turn off. I used to beat it (using the shortcuts) often on one quarter. Very fun game even given the dated graphics by todays standards. I was playing it yesterday at a friends who has MAME emulator and a steering wheel hooked up, I hadn't thought about this game in forever.

2. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

[​IMG]
    this guy LOVED rad mobile

3. jnoble

lol. I never saw Encino Man.

btw, that movie poster is really outdated and douche-chill inducing.

4. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

I might remember it if you post a few screenshots. I'd have been 14-15 at the time and would have avoided being seen on games that looked like kiddie amusement park rides.

Except the full version of Afterburner. Who needs pussy when you can pretend you're in Top Gun (for 4 minutes, dying, and playing the same 4 minutes again until you're out of quarters)

Depends who you ask. According to Opie, the surfer thing didn't go out of style until the mid-2000s.

5. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

2 things: What are you, 12?

Second: That was typical early 90s fare, no shit its dated. You are talking about a movie that came out almost 2 decades ago.

6. jnoble

Not 12. Just have fond memories of growing up during the arcade era of the '80s and '90s. If I had FU money and a house with a large basement to make my home arcade, one of these would be part of it along with Star Wars, Paperboy and Spy Hunter.

Yesterdays Hero likes this.
  7. blee

blee Will Drink Today

8. Yesterdays Hero

Yesterdays Hero She's better than you, Smirkalicious.

There was a game similar to this but it was top down, way worse graphics, and slower in speed. You'd drive over a bar that said gas to get more. Been trying for the better part of a decade to remember the fucking name of that one.

9. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Hated Sonic swinging back and forth.

10. jnoble

Once I start playing the game and concentrating on the road I stop noticing.