2/3 US adults in dark about world politics

turdfrgsn

it's a funny name
Mar 7, 2005
North Beach, MD
****well...no shit...***

Most US adults in the dark about world politics
Aug 22 02:49 AM US/Eastern
Two-thirds of US adults admit to being in the dark about political issues outside the United States, and only a third are well-versed in US politics, the results of a poll published Tuesday showed.

Candidates in the US presidential primaries "may have their work cut out for them as they work to get people interested in the election," wrote the Harris Poll group, which surveyed 2,225 adults between July 6 and 13 for the poll.

A separate survey gave New York Senator Hillary Clinton a healthy lead over her main rival Barack Obama for the Democratic primary race.

More than 40 percent of those who would vote in a Democratic primary or caucus would vote for Clinton while 27 percent said they would vote for Obama, the poll showed.

In the Republican race for the candidacy, former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani has a three-percentage point lead over ex-senator Fred Thompson, who hasn't yet declared that he is running, that poll, which surveyed 2,870 adults in the first week of August, showed.

Global political knowledge was miniscule, with just three percent of women and 14 percent of men saying they are extremely knowledgeable on world politics.

One reason for the knowledge gap is lack of interest, according to the poll.

"Well over half (57 percent) say they do not like learning about political issues in other countries," and 32 percent expressed a lack of interest for homespun politics, the Harris Poll group said.

Copyright AFP 2007, AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium

WhiskeyWhispers

I Want To Kill You All
Mar 11, 2007
Jersey
Ignorance is bliss.

Sometimes I wish I was a pea-brained California surfer dude whose only worries in life were whether there would be waves on any given day and who was throwing a party that night.

Your better off being retarded in this world.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Sometimes I wish I was a pea-brained California surfer dude whose only worries in life were whether there would be waves on any given day and who was throwing a party that night.
I don't know Whiskey, instead.

Sometimes I ponder that, if I had a choice, would I choose to be ignorant. It's really hard to say. I don't think I would make that choice but it would be nice to.

DoucheMeister

I'm a douche!
Jun 2, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
What a stupid fucking poll.... they just asked if they thought they were ignornat about issues. They didn't actually ask any questions to test their knowledge.

Many people might actually be underestimating how much they know.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Sometimes I wonder if the flood of information over the Internet didn't just simply turn off people to the news of the world. Growing up in the 70s it was just three TV channels that reported and a couple of newspapers. Now the list is nearly endless, each with it's own slant.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Many people might actually be underestimating how much they know.
Or overestimating. Knowing people, I'd side with my guess.

Sometimes I wonder if the flood of information over the Internet didn't just simply turn off people to the news of the world.
I kind of agree with that. Not just with news but with everything. Part of the joy in learning came from seeking out shit, talking to people (REAL people) to find out about it, liberries, when it's all there for you, it's a lot less interesting. Also, all websites just end up blurring together eventually that nothing seems intriguing anymore.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
i hate to admit it but post 911 / debockle in iraq i just dont give a fuck any more i dont even watch the world news that much any more, if i see something on the board that irrtates me i will investagate it but thats about it i dont even know who the chief of staff is.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
i hate to admit it but post 911 / debockle in iraq i just dont give a fuck any more i dont even watch the world news that much any more, if i see something on the board that irrtates me i will investagate it but thats about it i dont even know who the chief of staff is.
I'm just the opposite - 9/11 made me want to know more about what was going on in the world. Actually, it was the Bush - Gore election that made me realize that as informed as I thought I was I was really uninformed. Now I try to read as much as I can, and will research a point that I find questionable. It's also nice to know that when I'm discussing a topic, I'm making at least a semi-educated argument and not pulling something out of left field.

BTW - Chief of Staff = Joshua Bolten (I googled it) :action-sm

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
I used to listen to political talk radio, the news, newspaper, and everything else. Then I realized it just angers me and makes me miserable. And my life was rarely effected by what angers me. So now I just don't give a fuck. I've lost hope in the government.... and quite honestly, I'm more happy.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I used to listen to political talk radio, the news, newspaper, and everything else. Then I realized it just angers me and makes me miserable. And my life was rarely effected by what angers me. So now I just don't give a fuck. I've lost hope in the government.... and quite honestly, I'm more happy.
yep, now i just dont discuss politics or religion with any one

stillbornstew

blogging loser
Jul 26, 2005
NOLA
QFT

i've only briefly talked politics/religion w/ the girlfriend, we didn't argue, but agreed it's not something worth getting into if it would only lead us to a tift.
my brother in law keeps up w/ world politics, but i've grown to just not give a shit. gov't quit acting on the benefit of it's people LONG ago.

UCFGavin

Feb 25, 2006
well about 30% of the country still thinks Iraq had something to do with 9/11. there was also an article i was reading that one of every four adults didn't even read a fucking book last year.

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
well about 30% of the country still thinks Iraq had something to do with 9/11. there was also an article i was reading that one of every four adults didn't even read a fucking book last year.
It's 0 percent, if you only ask white people. The negros don't count.