$200 Ubuntu Linux PC Now Available at Wal-Mart

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
$200 Linux PCs On Sale At Wal-Mart from /.

wired.com said:
Everex's TC2502 gPC is the first mass-market $200 desktop computer, featuring a custom distribution of Ubuntu Linux and headed for selected Wal-Mart stores.

"It's $200, with no gimmicks or subsidies," Everex spokesman David Liu said.

The gPC aims to joins a popular gang of low-end economy computers leading into the holiday season, such as Asus' $300 EeePC Laptop and VIA's $600 Nanobook. Unlike these machines, however, Everex's latest model is a full-size desktop, and $100 cheaper than even the slightest models from Dell or HP.

Touted as a "green" machine, it has a 1.5 Ghz VIA C7 CPU embedded in a Mini-ITX motherboard, 512MB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive. Normally, this would simply mark it as unacceptably low-end for use with modern software. By using the fast Enlightenment desktop manager (instead of heavier-duty alternatives like Gnome or KDE), the makers say it's more responsive than Vista is, even on more powerful computers.

"It's almost like a Google PC," Liu says, pointing to the desktop's rack of pre-configured links to all of Google's online applications. It is, he says, the mass-market Linux PC we've all been waiting for. "That's our dream. ... we go the final step to make it work out the box, to go the whole nine yards."

----

rest of the story at wired.com with pix

----

Shaggz

Slaying Zombies
Damn, that's a hell of a deal.
I think I'm gonna have to pick one of these up for my mom.

Little Chuckie

I guess for simple web surfing it would be OK; the fact that most of its applications are online and not on the system would worry me if there wasn't a high-speed connection.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
I'm going to laugh at all of the hayseeds and inner city savages that buy this and can't figure out Linux.

"Yo bitch, where be my Windowz?"

sniper

Front, and to the right...
Wackbag Staff
It's My Birthday!
Not bad at all, I'd buy one just for the parts. Would actually make a decent low-traffic server, or throw Snort on it and another NIC and you have a great firewall.
That case is a bit big for a mini itx MB. I have some projects I want to get done with that size motherboard. And with Elightenment, it's actually running Xubuntu, I run that on my 800Mhz laptop because it's fast. Might check one of these out.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
That case is a bit big for a mini itx MB.
i was thinking the exact same thing... maybe just the pix.

they must have had an overstock on those boxes.

thats all i can think of.

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
UPDATE : Wal-Mart online warehouse : Ubuntu - SOLD OUT!

article from /.

hankmt's post on /. said:
"About a week ago Wal-Mart began selling a $200 Linux machine running on a 1.5 ghz VIA C7 processor and 512 MB of RAM. While the specs are useless for Vista, it works blazingly fast on Ubuntu with the Enlightenment Window Manager. The machine is now officially sold out of their online warehouses (it may still be available in some stores). And the product sales page at wal-mart.com is full of glowing reviews from new and old Linux users alike."
Everex TC2502 Green gPC w/ Via C7-D Processor Wal-Mart page.

poopiebottoms

Sparkling Wiggles Lover
I guess for simple web surfing it would be OK; the fact that most of its applications are online and not on the system would worry me if there wasn't a high-speed connection.
Apparently, online applications/file storage is a strongly predicted trend in software as more and more people have broadband, and wireless hotspots and cities become more prevalent.

I think it's a cool idea. Supposedly Asus has a ~$250 laptop that runs on linux for similar purposes. It's cool for non-saavy computer people or people and families that are too poor to buy a standard computer.

L

lamott2k

I'll stick to the Ubuntu Live CD instead before I move on to that.

By the way can someone help me?, I can't seem to start a new thread. I know I don't post here often, is there someone I have to speak to in regards to activating this feature?.

La Mott

burky79

62 75 72 6b 79 37 39
Top Bottom