2001: A Space Odyssey - The Nolan Cut

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Well not really. But he did supervise the restoration. This is old news at this point.

Long story short, 2001 has been restored by Christopher Nolan to it's original form. It is being shown on 70mm IMAX screens in a handful of cities, and your pal Piggy is going to Toronto to see it!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-christopher-nolan-2001-20180503-story.html

Christopher Nolan returns Kubrick sci-fi masterpiece '2001: A Space Odyssey' to its original glory

And what could be better than seeing a Christopher Nolan approved 70mm IMAX screening of 2001? Seeing a 70mm IMAX screening of The Dark Knight right before it.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/c...night-imax-re-release-anniversary-1201985124/

Now that's a double feature for the ages. The Dark Knight at 6:30. 2001 at 10:15. Both in glorious 70mm film the way the good lord Nolan intended them to be seen.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
Oh, didn't realize the release was going to be that limited.
Boooooo

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
Well not really. But he did supervise the restoration. This is old news at this point.

Long story short, 2001 has been restored by Christopher Nolan to it's original form. It is being shown on 70mm IMAX screens in a handful of cities, and your pal Piggy is going to Toronto to see it!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-christopher-nolan-2001-20180503-story.html

Christopher Nolan returns Kubrick sci-fi masterpiece '2001: A Space Odyssey' to its original glory

And what could be better than seeing a Christopher Nolan approved 70mm IMAX screening of 2001? Seeing a 70mm IMAX screening of The Dark Knight right before it.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/c...night-imax-re-release-anniversary-1201985124/

Now that's a double feature for the ages. The Dark Knight at 6:30. 2001 at 10:15. Both in glorious 70mm film the way the good lord Nolan intended them to be seen.
It appears to omit the footage Kubrick trimmed after the first couple of showings. I believe this consisted mostly or wholly of documentary interviews with leading 60s thinkers about their view of the future.

Edit: maybe not

https://www.slashfilm.com/17-minutes-lost-2001-space-odyssey-footage/

When the film premiered in 1968, it ran 160 minutes. Kubrick then went in and trimmed a good 19 minutes or so. It’s assumed this would be the footage that was found in Kansas. Here’s what the IMDB says was cut:
  • Some shots from the “Dawn of Man” sequence and a new scene was inserted where an ape pauses with the bone it is about to use as a tool. The new scene was a low-angle shot of the monolith, done in order to portray and clarify the connection between the man-ape using the tool and the monolith.
  • Some shots of Frank Poole jogging in the centrifuge.
  • An entire sequence of several shots in which Dave Bowman searches for the replacement antenna part in storage.
  • A scene where HAL severs radio communication between the “Discovery” and Poole’s pod before killing him. This scene explains a line that stayed in the film in which Bowman addresses HAL on the subject.
  • Some shots of Poole’s space walk before he is killed.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
a low-angle shot of the monolith, done in order to portray and clarify the connection between the man-ape using the tool and the monolith.
I saw this motherfucker as a kid at the Cinerama Dome in LA. I was confused as a kid because it didn't look like the monolith and I didn't understand what it was. It was a long flat horizon (the top of the monolith) with the sun or moon peeking over the top. I could never find the scene again watching on DVD

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Oh, didn't realize the release was going to be that limited.
Boooooo
I believe starting this coming weekend there are going to be more widely available 4K digital screenings.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Nolan restoration. Color timing may have been fucked with and there may be visible print damage (hence the "unrestored" moniker the release has)

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
It appears to omit the footage Kubrick trimmed after the first couple of showings. I believe this consisted mostly or wholly of documentary interviews with leading 60s thinkers about their view of the future.
That was an early idea that ultimately ended up getting tossed.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I've never seen 2001 all the way through
I believe starting this coming weekend there are going to be more widely available 4K digital screenings.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Nolan restoration. Color timing may have been fucked with and there may be visible print damage (hence the "unrestored" moniker the release has)
Yes there are visible scratches on the film, as there probably would have been even back in 1968.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
I may have to go see this. I saw it in 68 when it was 1st released.
Okay, for real, how the fuck old are you?!? I was 1 year old in 1968!

Wavy guy to show no hard feelings. :p :action-sm

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
Let's see... 1968 would have made me 12.
Yeah, I got to see the original Star Trek series on tv when it was new too. ;)
Fair enough... 12 isn't THAT much older than me. Still, you're an old fucker. Just not ancient.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Well, I’ve finally seen 2001. I’m not exactly sure what it was about, but I suppose I’m glad I watched it. I did have fun imagining Kubrick and his team of sound engineers sitting around a room doing drugs, laughing and saying “how many times can we repeat this obnoxious noise until people get pissed? 6? Ok, play it 10 times.”

I was surprised to see how many people have outright ripped this movie off, including Mr Nolan himself. I guess Interstellar was meant as a loving homage, but...

Anyway, I might have been better served staying home for a HitW, because I ended up doing one in my head for The Dark Knight. I was fully aware of all the logic problems/plot holes in TDKR, but I had never realized how much they infected this movie as well. Plus -the awkward pontificating. Oof.

Batman Begins has always been my favorite of the trilogy and that’s even more the case now. I’m almost afraid to ever go back and watch it again though.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I really need to see that movie one of these days
I've never seen 2001 all the way through

Yes there are visible scratches on the film, as there probably would have been even back in 1968.
Well, I’ve finally seen 2001. I’m not exactly sure what it was about, but I suppose I’m glad I watched it. I did have fun imagining Kubrick and his team of sound engineers sitting around a room doing drugs, laughing and saying “how many times can we repeat this obnoxious noise until people get pissed? 6? Ok, play it 10 times.”

I was surprised to see how many people have outright ripped this movie off, including Mr Nolan himself. I guess Interstellar was meant as a loving homage, but...

Anyway, I might have been better served staying home for a HitW, because I ended up doing one in my head for The Dark Knight. I was fully aware of all the logic problems/plot holes in TDKR, but I had never realized how much they infected this movie as well. Plus -the awkward pontificating. Oof.

Batman Begins has always been my favorite of the trilogy and that’s even more the case now. I’m almost afraid to ever go back and watch it again though.
How could you not have at least seen some of it in passing on cable?Im shocked piggy has not seen what is widely considered a masterpiece all the way thruIm no longer shocked. There is a flash video that succinctly explains what the movie is about as well all the metaphors and symbolism. Ill see if i can find it. its been several years since i saw it

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Meh, 2001 is a visual masterpiece but I think the symbolism is over rated

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Let's see... 1968 would have made me 12.
Yeah, I got to see the original Star Trek series on tv when it was new too. ;)
I was negative 8....and I'm an old fart.

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004

I was surprised to see how many people have outright ripped this movie off, including Mr Nolan himself. I guess Interstellar was meant as a loving homage, but.
At the risk of being literal Floyd, from what I understand about Kubrick there likely wasn't much laughing on his productions. The whole process of making 2001 was 4 years. Apparently the Dawn of Man sequence alone took longer to shoot than the principle photography period of most other movies.

I took my seven year old to see this and afterwards told him there's a lot of stuff you're going to see in the shows and movies you watch that are now going to make sense to you.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Somehow I missed this thread and the announcement of the limited run in IMAX. The one nearest me was playing it, and I had no idea. Unfortunately, the run ended today, so no chance to go see it over the weekend, and I am kinda pissed.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
I've seen short bits of 2001. Not the whole thing
I highly recommend it, but, watch it by your self, and watch it from beginning to end un interrupted, set aside a Sunday afternoon, I know this is going to infuriate “purists” but I recommend also watching 2010 the “sequel”