2007-2008 Eastern Conference Champion Pittsburgh Penguins thread

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Ok, this year the Pens fans, however few they may be here, to have their own thread.

There has been alot of talk about what teams like the Rangers and the Flyers have done through free agency. But I really like the fact that Shero stuck to his guns and didn't panic and spend a ton of money on big names. He resigned Whitney, Talbot, and Christensen. And brought in Petr Sykora for some added firepower off the wing and Darryl Sydor who will help move the puck and start plays out of the defensive zone.

And now the biggest signing of any team in the offseason:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=332473&page=NewsPage&service=page

Crosby resigning for 5 years and for less then the 20% maximum that he could have, and deservedly so, asked for.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
There are a couple Pens fans around here. I noticed them posting alot in the General NHL thread alot last year. So I figure we should have our own thread this year.

R

risnuff

I'm a Pens fan. But then again I barely post so maybe I don't count.

Mark me down as another fan of Shero. With the exception of trading for Georges Laraque, he hasn't made a bad move yet since getting the job. With the additions he's made, and with the playoff experience the guys from last year got, I don't see the Pens losing in the first round this year.

The schedules came out today, and the first game is an away game against Carolina, followed by the home opener against Anaheim the next night. So the first two games are against the last two Stanley Cup champions. Nice. Let's not forget the New Years Day game in Buffalo which might be played outdoors.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I'm not a fan of goons either but I gotta admit. Laraque really backed people off the cheapshots on Sid and Geno alot. He can help keep them healthier throughout the season. So I thought it was a worthwhile aquisition after seeing the effects.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I hated the Pens when Lemiuex and Jagr played for them, but I'm warming up to them. By far the best young core group in the league.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
they should have moved to Houston where people can't even begin to
grasp the concept of hockey and they'd average like 3000 people a game, easy!!!

HA.....this team is gonna be reaaallly good

woulda coulda shoulda

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
they should have moved to Houston where people can't even begin to
grasp the concept of hockey and they'd average like 3000 people a game, easy!!!

HA.....this team is gonna be reaaallly good

woulda coulda shoulda
Houston might still get the Islanders or someone. Although they would be considered 3rd in line to Kansas City and Hamilton most likely. Anyway, there's no chance the Pens will be going anywhere for several decades.

Oct 5, 2004
jersey
As much as a lot of people would like to see the stupid Islanders cease existence, I'd imagine one of the following is more likely to relocate first:
Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, Panthers.

However if I had to bet on the first team with a cup win in it's history to relocate, it would definitely be the Islanders.

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
I hated the Pens when Lemiuex and Jagr played for them, but I'm warming up to them. By far the best young core group in the league.
ugh....first your a jr fan and now i read this crap...your losing major points buddy ::hammer:

btw i am just stating what most people would say and that is lemieux is the greatest EVER :)

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
As much as a lot of people would like to see the stupid Islanders cease existence, I'd imagine one of the following is more likely to relocate first:
Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville, Phoenix, Panthers.

However if I had to bet on the first team with a cup win in it's history to relocate, it would definitely be the Islanders.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping the Islanders move. And there are other candidates for moving. But after the disaster that was free agency for the Isles, I don't see their attendance improving and out of all the other teams that are in danger of moving, building a new arena would cost the Isles the most. It's not a good situation but if their fans step up like Pens fans did when the Pens organization needed them the most to survive, then they will stay.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
as much as i'd love to see the NHL come to houston, it wouldn't make it....people here don't give a shit about hockey...it fucking blows that this city doesn't support it(Houston Aeros) or even know how it's played....Kansas City is the next city to get a team...and i was totally being sarcastic about Pittsburgh moving here....there was no way they'd move here lol

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
The Trib had an interesting article comapring the moves that Patrick made compared to the moves that Shero made.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_517372.html

I found it interesting because Craig Patrick really was one of the best GMs in the NHL. And I thought it was an odd move to fire him. But that article really shows just why Patrick was replaced. Patrick did alot when the Pens needed him the most and it was sad to see him go. But he just didn't have the feel for the "new" NHL. Shero has done a fantastic job of stabilizing the organization and staying disciplined with his spending. His moves have all been great value moves and he's shown a dedication to keeping his current talent together. Resigning guys like Roberts, Armstrong, Talbot, and Christensen helps keep a chemistry that I think was second to none last year. Signing Sykora and Sydor fill big needs and bring more Stanley Cup championship experience to the team. And with guys like Whitney and Crosby signing deals that will allow enough financial movement that signing Fluery and either Malking or Staal won't be problem. And, if Fluery can work the same kind of deal out that Crosby and Whitney have, there's a good chance we can resign Malking and Staal. It seems the organisation that, at this time last year, was on the shakiest ground has become rock solid. This should be a truly fun team to watch for years to come.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
ugh....first your a jr fan and now i read this crap...your losing major points buddy ::hammer:

btw i am just stating what most people would say and that is lemieux is the greatest EVER :)
Lemieux was a great player skill wise, but he was a pussy and a whiner. Sure he came back from cancer and back problems, kudos, but all he did was bitch and complain, he was a french canadian Brett Hull.

And I'm sorry sir, Orr, Gretz, and Mess are 1,2,3.

And Jr will win the championship in the next two years now that he's going to that faggot team HMS

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
And I'm sorry sir, Orr, Gretz, and Mess are 1,2,3.
Not one of them could do what Lemieux did. Your opinion may indicate a deep level of insanity, sir.

And can we just stop with the bullshit whining thing? Every star athlete works the refs in every sport.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Not one of them could do what Lemieux did. Your opinion may indicate a deep level of insanity, sir.

And can we just stop with the bullshit whining thing? Every star athlete works the refs in every sport.
what could Lemieux do that no one else could????? That right there is waterhead talk (don't ban me)

I will agree he was a great talent and if he stayed healthy through his career he would've been at least #2 on the all time points list. What I hated about him was his lack of heart for the game, his constant bitching about things not going his way on the ice(he was a big man, he could've played through it and proved that he was a great instead of not using his size and whining). He wasn't the natural talent Gretz was if only for the fact he didn't see the game as well as Gretz did, he wasn't the natural leader and the mean fuck Mess was, and he didn't have the heart or pure desire that Orr did.

Anyways,

The Pens now have the makings of a great team, as long as they keep their core together then it's looking good. Unlike the Oilers, who will stink again this year

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I guess you're talking about Claude Lemieux. That's the only thing I can think of. He didn't use his size? Bullshit. He didn't have any heart? He played in games where trainers had to lift his legs over the boards for him to get out on the ice because his back was hurting so bad. Here you go:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-V9G_mWG-9U

There's something Gretzky could never do.

Or how about this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sSYVzRgMEV0

There's something Messier couldn't do.

It wasn't until next to the last season he tried to play that his points per game dropped below Gretzky's. Just because he didn't like the clutching and grabbing and he spoke out about it doesn't he didn't have heart or use his size. That's just stupid talk. Because even though he didn't like it, he still a ton of success despite it.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I guess you're talking about Claude Lemieux. That's the only thing I can think of. He didn't use his size? Bullshit. He didn't have any heart? He played in games where trainers had to lift his legs over the boards for him to get out on the ice because his back was hurting so bad. Here you go:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-V9G_mWG-9U

There's something Gretzky could never do.

Or how about this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sSYVzRgMEV0

There's something Messier couldn't do.

It wasn't until next to the last season he tried to play that his points per game dropped below Gretzky's. Just because he didn't like the clutching and grabbing and he spoke out about it doesn't he didn't have heart or use his size. That's just stupid talk. Because even though he didn't like it, he still a ton of success despite it.
Claude Lemieux should die

And that clip of Lemieux is nothing special fighting, he was fighting guys waaay smaller than him, and they weren't even fights. Granted, Gretz only ever fought Broten and it was more funny than anything, but he didn't have to, that's what Cement Head, McStupid, Mess, Hunter, etc were for.

And I never once said Mess could score like Lemieux, not once. But Mess was by far the best leader ever, the best all around player ever, he could score, fight like a man, scare the shit out of everyone on the ice, won 6 cups, is second all time on the all time scoring list, is near the top of the playoff scoring list. If you want to get down to it, Messier was a far better player than Gretz or Lemiuex ever could've been. Other than Lemieux's offensive ability, what the fuck could he do better than Mess, other than be a faggot french canadian.

And don't take it personally, I think the Pens are a great team now.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I love when people argue how great someone was because of the "intangibles" he brings to the game. How do you argue that? Here's how. I say Lemieux was the better leader.

Other than Lemieux's offensive ability, what the fuck could he do better than Mess, other than be a faggot french canadian.
Thank you. Now that I know where you are coming from it makes it so easy to completely dismiss your biased opinion.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
I love when people argue how great someone was because of the "intangibles" he brings to the game. How do you argue that? Here's how. I say Lemieux was the better leader.

Thank you. Now that I know where you are coming from it makes it so easy to completely dismiss your biased opinion.
You want to know how Mess was the better leader, fine.

He would go into the dressing room of the Oilers and threaten a player that was wussing out with death if he didn't pick it up and play as hard as he did, and it would work consistently. He always knew what would work on certain players to motivate them, with some it would be an ass kicking, others it would just be taking them out for a beer, but he knew how to do it. He won 6 cups, 4 more than Lemiuex and 2 more than Gretz, he brought a cup to NY, something has happened once in the last 64 years, and it was due to him and the old Oilers that played on that team. Lemiuex did nothing but score and whine, fucking Francis was the one that was the true leader during their cup runs. If it wasn't for Francis, Lemiuex MIGHT have one a cup, but that's a big if. Mess one 4 with Gretz, but he carried the Oil to the 90 cup with the pressure of being still in Gretz's shadow, and he lead the Rangers to one in 94. Is that proof enough, or is that still "Mess is the better leader" in your eyes sir.

And there are some great french Canadian hockey players, but there were a lot (both Lemieuxs, Roy, Turgeon, etc) that gave french Canadians a bad name.

Gretzky took a hellacious cross check from that cheap american cunt Suter, and it damn near ended his career. He never whined about it, he overcame it and still lead the league in scoring once he recovered. Don't give me that shit. Fucking Lemiuex fought Cancer and came back, guess what, so did Koivu, congrats, that doesn't give him a ton of heart, just means he got lucky (I say that because if you survive the big c, you are lucky), and he came back to be a feel good story.

We aren't going to agree, but you're blinders for the Pens are definetly there, just like mine are on for the Oilers.

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
You want to know how Mess was the better leader, fine.

He would go into the dressing room of the Oilers and threaten a player that was wussing out with death
Ok so 90% of the NBA players are the best leaders in the world by your definition.
Beeman said:
He won 6 cups, 4 more than Lemiuex and 2 more than Gretz, he brought a cup to NY, something has happened once in the last 64 years, and it was due to him and the old Oilers that played on that team.
Stanley Cups are won by teams, not individuals. Now, granted, some teams have individuals that you could say are the biggest part of the team. But Messier didn't even have 100 points the year the Rangers won the cup. I'm not about give Messier that much credit for winning that cup, or any of the cups with the Oilers for that matter. But since you want to, are you also going to lay all the blame for the Rangers' playoff failures that surrounded that Stanley Cup? I guess you would have to. Ask the Canucks fans how great of a leader they think Messier is. :icon_roll

Beeman said:
Gretzky took a hellacious cross check from that cheap american cunt Suter, and it damn near ended his career. He never whined about it, he overcame it and still lead the league in scoring once he recovered. Don't give me that shit. Fucking Lemiuex fought Cancer and came back, guess what, so did Koivu, congrats, that doesn't give him a ton of heart, just means he got lucky (I say that because if you survive the big c, you are lucky), and he came back to be a feel good story.
This kind of ignorance could only come from a Canadian. Came back to be a feel good story? Mario missed 2 months of the 92-93 season to get radiation treatments for the cancer. On the day of his last treatment he hopped on a plane to Philadelphia and played the night and went on to win the scoring title again. Most people can't get out of bed to take a shit after 2 months of radiation treatments and you think that doesn't show heart? That "faggot French Canadian" as you call him
has more heart then that entire worthless country you live in.

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
Nov 11, 2001
Other than Lemieux's offensive ability, what the fuck could he do better than Mess, other than be a faggot french canadian.

Know when to call it quits, unlike that fucktard Messier.

And I hate Lemieux.

Beeman99

Mar 14, 2005
Ok so 90% of the NBA players are the best leaders in the world by your definition. Stanley Cups are won by teams, not individuals. Now, granted, some teams have individuals that you could say are the biggest part of the team. But Messier didn't even have 100 points the year the Rangers won the cup. I'm not about give Messier that much credit for winning that cup, or any of the cups with the Oilers for that matter. But since you want to, are you also going to lay all the blame for the Rangers' playoff failures that surrounded that Stanley Cup? I guess you would have to. Ask the Canucks fans how great of a leader they think Messier is. :icon_roll

This kind of ignorance could only come from a Canadian. Came back to be a feel good story? Mario missed 2 months of the 92-93 season to get radiation treatments for the cancer. On the day of his last treatment he hopped on a plane to Philadelphia and played the night and went on to win the scoring title again. Most people can't get out of bed to take a shit after 2 months of radiation treatments and you think that doesn't show heart? That "faggot French Canadian" as you call him
has more heart then that entire worthless country you live in.

Typical Pens/American Hockey fan, once a Canadian hits a nerve with a topic you call us names.

I won't argue with you about Mess and the Canucks, stupid move on his part, the last 5 years of his career were a waste, should've retired.

You are going to say that with my term of a leader that Monkey dunk has that, you are losing it sir. Whoopde shit, people come back from fucking Cancer all the time in real life, difference between them and faggot frenchman is that Lemieux got public sympathy and millions of dollars afterwards. He was no fucking leader, No Francis=No Cups. Plain and simple. If you think Messier wasn't a good leader than you should go watch baseball and leave hockey to knowledgeable fans

Hoagie

Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
I never said theMessier wasn't a great player or a great leader. But you're trashing Lemieux for, as far as I can figure out, scoring alot and having cancer. By the way, the difference between other people who comeback from cancer and Mario is that Mario came back to resume being the best player in his sport and win scoring titles. Somtheing Messier could NEVER do.

And making fun of Canadians has nothing to do with you hitting a nerve or me being a Pens fan or a hockey fan. All Americans make fun of Canadians. Canand....the country that exists because we allow it.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
Sergei Fedorov was my favorite player...till he decided to become a fucking duck.....i bet he felt stupid after that