2007-2008 New Jersey Devils Thread

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
I don't like the devils one bit but I'm going to try and get to 4-5 games there this year.

Apr 27, 2006
Cape Cod
http://devils.nhl.com/

WTF. October 15th or the 12th? That's frustrating. Lots of other teams' tickets are on sale now. After looking on the website, looks like you can get Devils tickets, but only for away games. I need tickets for only one game now...don't live close.

Are they trying to sell more season tickets and/or partial plan packages by not releasing individual games?:arrrh:

OfficerCornjob

Impossible to walk in this muck.
Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
Its the 12th now.
I just got back from the first preseason game over in Trenton. Holy shit there was alot of fighting, 5 fights in the first period.
Anyway, the Flyers A squad (im not shitting you, they used there basic opening day lineup in the first preseason game) squeeeeakked by Parise/Madden/Zajac and half the Lowell Devils 3 to 2. Moral victory, no Brodeur, Elias, Gionta, Langs, Zubrus and they still played a solid game. I forgot how much I like the Trenton goal horn. Parise's goal was sick, even in the preseason hes at full speed every shift.

Bahoopledoop

I really like thinking about inventions
Apr 23, 2006
Jersey,proudly
Its the 12th now.
I just got back from the first preseason game over in Trenton. Holy shit there was alot of fighting, 5 fights in the first period.
Anyway, the Flyers A squad (im not shitting you, they used there basic opening day lineup in the first preseason game) squeeeeakked by Parise/Madden/Zajac and half the Lowell Devils 3 to 2. Moral victory, no Brodeur, Elias, Gionta, Langs, Zubrus and they still played a solid game. I forgot how much I like the Trenton goal horn. Parise's goal was sick, even in the preseason hes at full speed every shift.
It was an entertaining game. I took the ride down there as well. I'll be hitting a few Trenton DEVILS games this season as well as all 41 Devils home games. Upgraded to four full season tickets after 14 years as a partial plan holder.

PittsburghEddie

Aug 14, 2007
Where my name says I live
off topic of the devils but i love hockey fights..... check this out from last night

"Nearly six minutes into the game Laraque engaged Canadiens' defenseman Andrew Archer in a fight, and promptly floored him with a series of punches that left Archer bloodied.

Archer left the game with what the Canadiens termed a facial injury. He was taken to a local hospital for X-rays.
"

OfficerCornjob

Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
New Jersey 3, Boston 0
Preview - Box Score - Recap

FIRST PERIOD -- Scoring: None. Penalties: Bench, Njd (), 5:34; M Hendricks, Bos
(hooking), 6:48.

SECOND PERIOD -- Scoring: 1, New Jersey, Rod Pelley 1 (Barry Tallackson,
Vitaly Vishnevski), 9:26. Penalties: P Kessel, Bos (hooking), 3:38; A
Ward, Bos (interference), 6:36; J Reich, Bos (unsportsmanlike cond),
7:09; D Clarkson, Njd (unsportsmanlike cond), 7:09; D Clarkson, Njd
(fighting match), 7:31; J Reich, Bos (fighting match), 7:31; V
Vishnevski, Njd (hooking), 16:20.

THIRD PERIOD -- Scoring: 2, New Jersey, Karel Rachunek 1 (power play)
(Johnny Oduya, Travis Zajac), 3:49. 3, New Jersey, Barry Tallackson 1
(power play) (Nicklas Bergfors, Johnny Oduya), 9:52. Penalties: A
Greene, Njd (tripping), 7:49; A Alberts, Bos (tripping), 8:00; A
Bodnarchuk, Bos (interference), 17:57.

Shots on goal:
---------------------------------------
New Jersey 10 8 16 --34
Boston 10 6 8 --24
---------------------------------------

Power-play Conversions: New Jersey - 2 of 5, Boston - 0 of 3. Goalies
: New Jersey, Kevin Weekes (16 shots, 16 saves; record: 1-0-0), Frank
Doyle (start of 2nd period, 8, 8). Boston, Manny Fernandez (15 shots,
14 saves; record: 0-1-0), Tuukka Rask (8:58 of 2nd period, 19, 17). A:
NA. Referees: Don Van Massenhoven, Wes Mccauley. Linesmen: Anthony
Sericolo, Brian Murphy.
w00t

Bahoopledoop

I really like thinking about inventions
Apr 23, 2006
Jersey,proudly
It feels like I'm a kid again and it's Christmas Eve waiting for the new arena. The only thing better than opening night will be Sean Avery getting speared in the throat and then having someone skate over his jugular "accidentally".

Tinkledrinker13

Oct 22, 2002
Bayonne NJ
they had a preview of the isles and devils tonight on fox sports, both hour long specials. the devils one was pretty interesting, they talked about the new building and all the cool shit thats supposed to be in it(showed some videos of it). talked to sutter about what he expects from the team. the impression i got is he is a dont take shit from anyone kinda guy. the guy interviewing him said he was soft spoken but i can totally picture him coming in the locker room fucking something up to make a point after a bad period.
they talk to parise about becoming a star int he league and if he would rather play center on #1 or wing on #2. he basically gave the athlete answer anywhere to win.
they talked to weekes and he said he is here to support Marty. then they asked marty if he was gonna play less games cuz he looked run down last year. he looked in the camera and said let me worry about my body and playing, im the only person who can judge if im playing too much..
then they talked to Dano. he said he thinks there are a couple of ?s on the team, but Elias needs to step up and pump in 40 this year as well as Gio and Parise if the plan on winning the divison again.. he also said he was pissed at Gomez for going to the Rangers.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
i figured they would play in the Ironbound Ice Rink...lol place actually looks nice...just add Jason Williams popping shots in the parking lot and not only will it be truly Newark but just like Continental Airlines Arena

OfficerCornjob

Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
Some news. Sutter kicks ass.
Devils share the wealth by mixing up combos
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
BY RICH CHERE
Star-Ledger Staff

Look around the NHL and it is relatively easy to distinguish the No. 1 line on most teams.

That used to be the case with the Devils, as well, but no longer. Brent Sutter's club will open the regular season Thursday night in Tampa, Fla., with four rookies, significant line shuffling and a new, aggressive style that might not resemble the old Devils.
Advertisement

Instead of a clear-cut top line, the Devils have two units that are more like 1a and 1b. At first glance, the trio of Travis Zajac centering for Zach Parise and Brian Gionta appears to be the big line. Then again, the team's leading scorer, Patrik Elias, is skating on a line with Dainius Zubrus, the center brought in to replace Scott Gomez, and rookie Nicklas Bergfors.

"It's great when you have two good lines," Parise said yesterday at Codey Arena in West Orange. "You have that friendly competition of pushing each other. I think we have that."

Asked if he felt he had a No. 1 line, Sutter said it could change from game to game. Ice time will be the ultimate measuring stick.

"To be honest, I don't like talking about it," Sutter said. "I look at it as being a team. Some guys' roles this year are going to be different than they've been in the past."

Some immediate observations:

Bergfors is one of four rookies to make the club. He has the potential to be a productive offensive player because of his shot, hence his spot next to Elias and Zubrus.

"This is something you dream about all your life," Bergfors said about making the team. "You dream about your first game, so of course I'm thrilled."

Center Rod Pelley and right winger David Clarkson are the other rookie forwards to make the roster. Pelley will center for John Madden, moved from the middle to left wing, and Arron Asham. Clarkson will play right wing with veteran Sergei Brylin and either Jay Pandolfo or Mike Rupp. Splitting up Pandolfo and Madden was a big surprise. The fact that Pandolfo hasn't been killing penalties is even more shocking.

"Right now I'm with Sergie and Clarkie, but I think I'll probably play everywhere depending on how games are going," Pandolfo said. "It's a little different. We're playing a different style."
Advertisement

Although he played 23 games for the Devils last season, defenseman Andy Greene is technically the fourth rookie. He figures to have a big role, including the point on the power-play unit.

"If you look at our defensemen, there shouldn't be a big fluctuation as far as ice time," Sutter said. "We don't have a Scott Niedermayer."

Sutter has done things his way instead of the old way, which the players have applauded.

"I think we're nicely spread out," Elias said of the new lines. "Everyone is capable of scoring and defending. I like this team. I think we have a good group of guys. The atmosphere is very loose, but at the same time the tempo is high."

Elias said his groin is feeling well enough to play in the opener. Johnny Oduya (groin) practiced and should be ready.

GM Lou Lamoriello said the team doesn't know the extent of possible damage to defenseman Colin White's right eye. White, who is on injured reserve but not the long-term injury list, was hit by a deflected puck during practice Sept. 19. Asked if White's vision was damaged, Lamoriello said: "It's a wait-and-see situation. Time will tell. The doctors are in charge."

Lamoriello said goalie Frank Doyle, defensemen Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre and Ian Moran, and forwards Noah Clarke, Grant Marshall and Ryan Murphy cleared waivers and were assigned to Lowell (AHL).

Rich Chere may be reached at rchere@starledger.com
Elias, Gionta and Zubrus each get an 'A'
Eric Marin New Jersey Devils
Oct 2, 2007, 11:40 AM EDT

Elias
newjerseydevils.com – Following a training camp in which head coach Brent Sutter announced that the Devils' captaincy was up for grabs, the question of who will wear the 'A's has been answered.

Patrik Elias, Brian Gionta and Dainius Zubrus have been tapped as alternate captains, it has been announced.

The naming of the Devils' captains comes two days before the team's regular-season opener on Oct. 4 in Tampa Bay. New Jersey will play its first nine games on the road before returning for the Prudential Center opener on Oct. 27 against the Ottawa Senators at 7 p.m.

Elias was the team's leading scorer in 2006-07 with 21 goals and 48 assists for 69 points in 75 games. He finished the '07 preseason with a plus-one rating in two games.

Gionta led the Devils in preseason scoring with four goals and four assists in five contests. The right winger collected 25 goals and 20 assists for 45 points in 62 games last season.

Zubrus, who was signed as a free agent in the off-season, tallied two goals in five preseason games, and is coming off a regular season in which he set career highs for goals (24), assists (36) and points (60).

bubbawadd

Apr 4, 2004
Wheaton, IL
Elias, Giona and Zubrus all get "A"s? Who will wear the "C". Don't they remember how it went after Niedermeyer left and they didn't have a captain in 05-06....

Granted Marty is the leader of the team and not allowed to wear the "C" but they need someone to put it on.

OfficerCornjob

Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
Sutter let the team know that the C needs to be earned. I have a feeling it will go back to Elias. Zubrus had a great camp though and rumor has it that he has become a leader with the team.

Tinkledrinker13

Oct 22, 2002
Bayonne NJ
Am i the only one who thinks Pando is getting shafted? i know sutter rolls 4 lines but the way it look he is gonna be bouncing back and forth with rupp. i like that the rookies are playing and i dont think bergsfor is gonna be there once langenbruner comes back unless he lights it up. i think that Sutters style might hurt us.

OfficerCornjob

Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
Only 500 lower level seats are available before the half season plans go on sale, pretty nice in my opinion. I will most likely end up getting the 75$ Mezz seats for opening night.

FullBallz

in your mouth
Mar 5, 2006
North Arlington, NJ
I am so pumped for this season. A few things I wish to share

Prudential Center

Don't know if anyone reads HFBoards here but Lou talked with the fan club last night and here's some stuff he filled the fans in on...

There will be a season NJ Transit train pass available to both full season and partial plan holders. You will be able to purchace it for a fixed price and use it to and from any train station to the Prudential Center. It will be sent out shortly. It is sold by NJ Transit, the Devils are just the middle man and passing it along to us. This is great as it's much faster for me to go Penn to Penn than using the Path.

They will HOLD trains after games to accomodate everyone, and add trains as needed. No need to worry about not having a train ride home after overtime playoff games.

There will be a big name restaurant at street level that will be open to the public, as well as be open on non-game days. They will also have retail stores and a pro shop at street level that will be open at all times. I'm hearing Heartland Brewery will be the restaurant. If so...:clap:

Season tickets will be sent out next week :D

Captains

Happy to see Gio get an A but I felt Madden should've got one. Then again Sutter's the coach and I'm not so that shows how much I know. I think the team is chock full of leaders. Zubrus getting one shocked me. I'm now pretty excited to see him play. One thing I noticed is that Sutter said he will re-evaluate it when Langenbrunner gets back. That leads me to believe that he thinks Langs would be captain even though he hasn't really stepped on the ice. I think that's great. Langs is such a great leader and is always a firecracker on the ice.

Pandolfo

This is a new system with a new coach. Does it suck that he's getting demoted to the 4th line and also taken off the PK? Of course. But, it's a new system that, as far as I can see, doesn't suit Pando's strengths at all. He can't score and his puck control isn't the best. That's a problem on a puck posession team. I hope he can adapt because I like the guy. He's been so important to the team the past 8 seasons. But he's more suited for a team that sits back and lets the team come to him. Also, last year he and Madden weren't the guaranteed shut-down duo that they were pre-lockout.

New System and Rookies

Looks like Langenbrunner being out really opened up some spots on the team. I'm shocked that Bergfors made it and even more surprised that he's playing with Elias and Zubrus. I'm excited to see what he can contribute. Putting Madden on the wing is great. He was a winger his rookie year if I'm not mistaken and was awesome. He has great speed and a good shot. I always felt he was under-used. He can be a 20 goal scorer definitely. I also like how we don't have that one clear cut top line that other teams can just match up against. It's pretty much 1a and 1b with Elias-Zubrus-Bergfors and Parise-Zajac-Gionta. Pelley impressed me when he filled in last year so he should be a good addition. I absolutely love Clarkson. Randy McKay part deux. I'm also glad he took 23. Now I can just have the nameplate taken off that jersey and put Clarkson on it. Don't have to buy a new jersey. I'm expecting a lot from Andy Greene. He was fantastic last year and he will gracefully replace Rafalski.

This team is going to be playing in the toughest division in the league I feel. Every team improved...well, except the Islanders :action-sm . It's going to be a very competitive and interesting year for this team. I am very excited about Sutter and the new puck possession system that he is instilling. Also the new physical element of this team is great. I hope we run over every team in the conference like Ottawa ran over us in the playoffs. Well, good luck everyone and I can't wait to discuss this year with you fellow Devil Baggers.

OfficerCornjob

Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
Classic Devils games on FSNY right now. The 95 Cup winner was on at 10AM, the 2000 winner is on now and the the 2003 winner comes on at 4, leading up to the season opener.

OfficerCornjob

Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
Yep, I had a Gomez jersey with the Koho style nameplate, so I had it unstitched a few days ago.