2007 Detroit Tigers Thread

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
I was surprised not to see this thread anywhere. Hopefully I'm not the only Tigers fan on here or I'll feell like an ass when no one posts.

what are your thoughts on sheffield, the bullpen kind of sucking ass, zumaya being out, rogers being out, sean casey being the slowest person around, brandon inge being cute :) or what ever the hell else you want to talk about?

spikesglaring

Well... no shit.
I think there was an '07 Tigers thread, but it was left for dead.

Anyway, I think the Tigers are doing well considering the problems the team has experienced to this point. I hope they can stay in or around the Wild Card lead until the All-Star break, then go on a tear when everyone gets healthy.

I'd like to see a deal or two made, but it's doubtful. Replacing Casey at first would be excellent, but it'll probably not occur because the team has bigger issues. Improving the bullpen has to be #1 on the list, but bullpen help through trades is very expensive around the trade deadline. Look at what it cost the Reds last year. The best thing that could happen currently is releasing Jose Mesa and replacing him with ANYONE.

Also, what is the deal with female Tigers fans and Brandon Inge? Is he really that attractive? Or do chicks dig the defense?

Bullpen is the concern. Zumaya is probably the best pullpen pitcher in baseball and he may be out all season.

Make a couple deals. I think Maroth or Durbin would be pretty good trade bait. Neiter are Aces but both are decent starters. Then, call up Andrew Miller to replace one of those two. Plus, Kenny Rogers should be back late June, early July.

I really like Casey. He is a VERY underrated hitter.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Bullpen is the concern. Zumaya is probably the best pullpen pitcher in baseball and he may be out all season.

Make a couple deals. I think Maroth or Durbin would be pretty good trade bait. Neiter are Aces but both are decent starters. Then, call up Andrew Miller to replace one of those two. Plus, Kenny Rogers should be back late June, early July.

Casey is an underrated hitter and he is good at first base, way better than thames. hopefully Zumaya will back in 12 weeks. The problem with our bullpen is that Rodney doesn't know how to make basic plays in baseball so once the ball leaves his hand he is completely useless. Miller did very well in his start this year but he had great run support.

brandon inge has a cute butt and is a great third baseman :)

spikesglaring

Well... no shit.

Maroth has little to no trade value right now. We'd do well to get a middle-tier prospect for him at this point. Durbin deserves to stick in the rotation with the way he's thrown lately. Leaving Miller in the minor leagues is the best idea because he is still a little raw. Maybe later this year, but not right now. No need to rush the guy.

Also, Sean Casey is not underrated. The only way you could possibly call him underrated is if you put too high of a value in batting average or his performance in the World Series last year. His OPS (a much more telling stat) is .668, which is beyond awful. Among major league first basemen, Casey ranks 41st in OPS (.667). To put that in perspective, Cubs ace pitcher Carlos Zambrano has the exact same OPS as Casey.

I like Casey and believe he's a good guy. However, he is a singles hitter who relies on his defensive ability, which has diminished too in terms of range.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
PS: I hope Todd Jones gets TB.
a very rare and incurable type, coupled with AIDS, goddamnit he is the worst. i was at the bar last night just screaming (i normally hate people that do that but now i can feel for them)

at this point Rodney would be better than Jones. Casey is in a bit of a slump so far this year but he is hitting in runs and doing well at first.

Durbin actually did really well last night , and in most of his starts so far, we just need our starters hang in a few more innings until Zumaya gets back.

Nate went on the DL, and they called up Andrew Miller. Very happy about this.

Now, I keep hearing that Miller is still rough on the edges but he killed the Cards. The Cards suck, and the Mets are much better than the Cards but hopefully a good win against a good team will build his confidence.

Bullpen is an issue. With their injuries, it is a damn good thing their bats are hot.

Got the Mets coming up. I don't know shit about most NL teams but the Mets seem good.

iNFaMousToM

O&A Hardcore Newbie Listener
Can't wait to get back to Michigan to go to some games in Sept/October

I'm so glad Mesa is gone, and I can't wait for Z to come back. Move him to closer, I've had enough of Todd Jones' "roller coaster" bullshit.

Our starting rotation will improve by leaps and bounds when Rogers comes back. Verlander Bonderman and he are all very very solid starters. If Zumaya could pan out as a closer, which I think he will, we'd be pretty set for starters and closing, and the middle relief would really be all that needs to be addressed I think.

And Brandon Inge is the fuckin' man. I love all the Tigers pretty much, except Todd Jones right now.

Edit: And that pitcher the Tigers drafted, whose name I can not recall looks like a good ass pickup. He threw a perfect game on 77 pitches last month.

Newmania

**I move away from the mic to fuck your mother.
Anyone else catch Verlander's no hitter tonight? Fuckin sweet!

Oh yeah. Two great plays by Magglio and Perez to keep it going. Besides those two plays he couldn't be hit. The guy has really turned into a top Ace in the league. Add Rogers, Bonderman and another great youngster, Andrew Miller, this starting rotation is looking damn good.

So Mike Maroth is now a Card huh?
And the Tigres will be getting a player to be named?

The most common thing I've read about Maroth on baseball boards is that he's a "Good Christian man, with good values"

That can't be good if that's what's being said. I think he's a good pick up becuase the Cards have 1 decent Starter, 2 very very bad one, and 3 relievers starting. But he's not good.

He'll fit in well in St.Louis though were everyone loves a scrappy white guy who hussles and runs to first on a walk, not those dirty black players with their crazy hair and baggy uniforms:icon_roll . Yech.

iNFaMousToM

O&A Hardcore Newbie Listener
I'm so glad Mesa is gone, and I can't wait for Z to come back. Move him to closer, I've had enough of Todd Jones' "roller coaster" bullshit.

Our starting rotation will improve by leaps and bounds when Rogers comes back. Verlander Bonderman and he are all very very solid starters. If Zumaya could pan out as a closer, which I think he will, we'd be pretty set for starters and closing, and the middle relief would really be all that needs to be addressed I think.

And Brandon Inge is the fuckin' man. I love all the Tigers pretty much, except Todd Jones right now.

Edit: And that pitcher the Tigers drafted, whose name I can not recall looks like a good ass pickup. He threw a perfect game on 77 pitches last month.
Two weeks later and this post is 100% correct

The Maroth deal was purely a roster move, nothing else. Too many starting arms, and he is the worst of them. Not a horrible player but his stats are pretty bad. His record is decent because he had the best offense in baseball backing him up. His numbers will probably improve now that he is out of the AL. Maroth may turn out to be a decent starter, and you probably got him for nothing.

Maybe we'll get lucky. Hell, I think at one point Jeff Bagwell was one of those "players to be named later" but i'm not holding my breath.

It would have been nice, however, to have him as a piece of a bigger deal to get a decent middle relief guy.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
Kenny Rogers, I fucking hate you, but nice job outdueling Smoltz tonight! Please keep kicking the Braves' asses this weekend!

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
kenny rogers is the man, i'm so happy to see him back. i dont' really like them getting rid of maroth, i also don't like that they got rid of ledezma. i thought durbin should've gone before maroth but oh well.

so what does everyone think will happen when roberston cmes back? i say they kick todd jones in his cunt and tell him to get the fuck out...but thats just me

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
I think we'll be alright. Sure the pen is shaky right now but Joel Z is coming back soon (fingers crossed), they went and got a couple other good arms (McBride & Cappellan) and Rodney is going to get hit by a bus. (prediction or wish?)
Thank God for the bats. They smacked the shit out of C.C. yesterday- that was nice.

Oh yeah- Who's your Tiger?

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
I think we'll be alright. Sure the pen is shaky right now but Joel Z is coming back soon (fingers crossed), they went and got a couple other good arms (McBride & Cappellan) and Rodney is going to get hit by a bus. (prediction or wish?)
Thank God for the bats. They smacked the shit out of C.C. yesterday- that was nice.

Oh yeah- Who's your Tiger?
inge is my tiger :)...i went to the game on the 4th, that was fucking awesome. i'm also going this sunday against the red sox, should be a great game i think daisuke is pitching.

inge is my tiger :)...i went to the game on the 4th, that was fucking awesome. i'm also going this sunday against the red sox, should be a great game i think daisuke is pitching.
Inge is my Tiger too I think, although it is pretty hard to choose. The only easy choice is not Todd Jones.

On another note, anyone here seen a game from the Champion's Club at Comerica? I've been in there 3 or 4 times, and it's really fucking cool.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Inge is my Tiger too I think, although it is pretty hard to choose. The only easy choice is not Todd Jones.

On another note, anyone here seen a game from the Champion's Club at Comerica? I've been in there 3 or 4 times, and it's really fucking cool.
no i never have, where is it? and are tickets expensive? i've pretty much sat all over the place this year, we have outstanding tickets for the yankees and the white sox in august, 8 rows up right behind 3rd base (i get to see Arod and Inge's ass:)) i've also sat in the tiger den which i liked but it wasn't close enough

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Neifi Perez suspended 25 games for banned substance use.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

mightymalachi

Be afraid...be very afraid.
The Tigers need serious bullpen help. But, as long as Sheffield keeps hitting, I can still pay my rent every month. BTW, if anyone is ever down for Tigers Spring Training, let me know. The stadium is about 3 miles from my place.

no i never have, where is it? and are tickets expensive? i've pretty much sat all over the place this year, we have outstanding tickets for the yankees and the white sox in august, 8 rows up right behind 3rd base (i get to see Arod and Inge's ass:)) i've also sat in the tiger den which i liked but it wasn't close enough
The Champion's Club is on the 3rd base line. Tix are $110 per game. Memberships are sold out, but what we did is like a 12 game package for it or something, and it's really nice. I think they sell them for individual games too.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/det/ticketing/championsclub.jsp