2007 NHL Offseason Thread

Fr. Dougal

i say we go back to 20-21 teams get rid of shit like nashville, columbus, etc
more quality players on less teams = better hockey
I agree.

And I also like going back to the named divisions. It keeps the history of the game there.

So you have Patrick, Norris, Adams and Smyth divisions.

Need 2 more... I'd suggest the "Vezina" and "Richard" divisions.

At least they got the Pearson, the Hart, and the Calder right. :icon_mrgr
The Hart I'm not so sure about. Fuckin 48 wins or whatever it was for Marty is amazing. Plus I'm not a huge Sid fan.

And they definitely got the Norris right.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
I agree.

And I also like going back to the named divisions. It keeps the history of the game there.

So you have Patrick, Norris, Adams and Smyth divisions.

Need 2 more... I'd suggest the "Vezina" and "Richard" divisions.
I was gonna say "Howe" and "Richard". Haha.

GDRC

This is what I do now
Bruins just fired Dave Lewis.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
tsn.ca said:
Canadiens deal Samsonov to Blackhawks

Canadian Press

6/16/2007 12:58:30 PM

MONTREAL (CP) - Sergei Samsonov's disappointing stay with the Montreal Canadiens lasted only one season.

The 28-year-old forward was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday for defenceman Jassen Cullimore and forward Tony Salmelainen.

Samsonov, a Moscow native, signed as a free agent with the Canadiens last summer, but had just nine goals and 17 assists in 63 games.

The former two-time 29-goal scorer was a healthy scratch for 18 games - including the last 13 games after he questioned whether he made the right move in signing with the team.

Samsonov has one season at US$3.5 million left on his contract.

General manager Bob Gainey said after the season Samsonov would not be back.

''Considering we didn't have plans for Sergei Samsonov in our organization for next season, our options were either to buy out his contact or to trade him in order to allow us to save valuable cap room over the next two seasons,'' Gainey said in a release.

It is the second time Gainey has succeeded in finding a taker for a player he signed to large contract and then didn't want. In 2006, he unloaded the final two years of goaltender Jose Theodore's $16-million, three-year deal on the Colorado Avalanche for goalie David Aebischer.

Samsonov has 178 goals and 240 assists for 418 points in 596 career NHL games with Montreal, Edmonton and Boston.

''We believe Sergei can rebound and give us a spark on the power play and offensively as well as improve our overall skill level,'' Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon said in a release.

''We feel he has a lot left in the tank and playing under Denis Savard will bring out the offensive creativity that he has shown in the past.''

Samsonov was selected by the Bruins with the eighth overall pick of the 1997 NHL entry draft. The former rookie of the year also has 13 goals and 26 assists in 59 career playoff games.

The trade was little more than a salary dump for the Canadiens.

Cullimore, who played 52 games for Montreal in the mid-1990s, is set to earn $1.9 million next season and the Canadiens say they have agreed to buy out his contract.

Salmelainen earns $750,000 next year and the team says his situation will be evaluated in the coming weeks.

Cullimore had two goals and 12 assists in 118 games over the last two seasons with the Blackhawks. The six-foot-five, 220-pounder has 21 goals and 59 assists over 643 career games.

He won a Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2004.

Salmelainen, 25, had six goals and 11 assists in 57 games with the Blackhawks last season.

Senators fire GM John Muckler: report
Last Updated: Sunday, June 17, 2007 | 2:07 AM ET
CBC Sports
The Ottawa Senators have fired general manager John Muckler in a surprising move that could be announced on Sunday, according to a report in the Toronto Sun.

"I haven't been told anything," Muckler said when asked about the rumours.

Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk, right, repordly fired general manager John Muckler, left, on Friday.
(Phillip MacCallum/Getty Images) When pressed about whether Senators owner Eugene Melnyk would clarify the situation on Sunday Muckler responded: "I don't know. You'll have to speak to the owner about that."

Muckler, 73, refused any other comment on the matter on Saturday, and instead referred all questions pertaining to his future to Melnyk.

Muckler, a five-time Stanley Cup winner with the Edmonton Oilers, joined the Senators in June of 2002.

Ken Villazor, a spokesman for Melnyk, would neither confirm nor deny the report, saying "the owner has released a statement that he was reviewing all management with the club."

After another solid regular season that saw the team compile a record of 48-25-9, the Senators finally shook the label of playoff chokers by reaching the Stanley Cup final with a roster Muckler helped build.

With the departure of players like Zedeno Chara and Martin Havlat this past offseason, Muckler acquired less heralded players such as Joe Corvo, Tom Preissing and Mike Comrie who all figured prominently in Ottawa's 2007 playoff run.

But the Senators seemed to lose all momentum in the final, falling to the Anaheim Ducks in five games.

Despite the disappointing result, Muckler stated that he intended to return for the final year of his contract and had no desire to leave.

"I'm having too much fun," he said at the club's end of season news conference.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/06/17/senators-fire-muckler.html

I guess he didn't deserve to be fired since his Senators made the Cup Finals. I guess this makes up for when he absolutely deserved to be fired from the Rangers but wasn't until it was way too late.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
He better not be Maloney's replacement. :icon_eek:

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
An update on the Hamilton Predators courtesy of AM640 in Toronto.
NHL Ticket Sales in Hamilton
Jun, 17 2007 - 7:40 AM

HAMILTON - Almost 10,000 NHL tickets have been sold in Hamilton, even though the city doesn't have a team yet.

Billionaire Jim Balsillie has offered to buy the Nashville Preds, and there's speculation he would bring the team to Hamilton.

It's not a done deal, but that isn't stopping ticket buyers.

The tickets are being offered on a first-come, first-serve basis and will be refunded if the team isn't moved to Hamilton by December 2009.
10,000. Figure about 5,000 people (2 tickets per person) are willing to put up money for the next 2 years to get an NHL team in their city. Now imagine all the people who can't afford to put up the money now, but will do it once it became official. Sounds like a strong market to me.

An update on the Hamilton Predators courtesy of AM640 in Toronto.

10,000. Figure about 5,000 people (2 tickets per person) are willing to put up money for the next 2 years to get an NHL team in their city. Now imagine all the people who can't afford to put up the money now, but will do it once it became official. Sounds like a strong market to me.

The interest is definatly there, not just from Hamilton, but alot of surrounding cities as well.

But I don't think Bettman wants to see a team go from the US to Canada, he only likes it to go the other way.

I think the league is going to cock block this.

Update on Muckler rumour.

They are now saying that Murray will take over as GM. Which would be a great move, Murray put together the current Ducks team when he was GM there.

Just wonder who will be the new coach, if this is how it pans out.

Fr. Dougal

More on the Hamilton ticket sales:

Ticketmaster website taking deposits for “Hamilton Predators” NHL franchise

Chris Johnston
The Canadian Press

Thursday, June 14, 2007

There's no guarantee the NHL is headed to Hamilton but that hasn't stopped hockey fans from opening their wallets.

Ticketmaster began taking deposits for "Hamilton Predators" season tickets on Thursday even though Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie's purchase of the NHL team in Nashville has yet to be approved.

Balsillie's lawyer Richard Rodier was reluctant to comment on ticket sales when reached late Thursday afternoon, but did say that almost 60 deposits of $5,000 for corporate boxes at Copps Coliseum had been received.

"I've put a cut-off on the suites because we're quickly approaching selling out the suites," said Rodier, before adding: "You can take that as a reflection of interest generally."

A Ticketmaster spokesperson said it was against company policy to release information on ticket sales.

The tickets are being offered on a first-come, first-serve basis and deposits will be refunded if the team isn't moved to Hamilton by December 2009. Those who put down money can also receive a refund for any reason in the meantime.

While $5,000 is required to reserve a corporate box, a $500 deposit will get you an upper bowl seat and $1,000 is needed for a seat in the lower bowl.

"The money's perfectly safe, it's kept in a trust fund with Ticketmaster, it's refundable for any reason whatsoever at any time," said Rodier.

Ryan Salter of Guelph, Ont., split the deposit on two upper bowl tickets with three friends.

Salter, 28, is a Calgary Flames fan and often travels to see NHL games in Buffalo, where his parents had four season tickets last year.

He wasn't concerned about forking out money for a deposit because his ticket group is "in for the long haul."

If the team ends up in Hamilton, Salter wants to be a part of the action. He feels the city can support an NHL franchise.

"The NHL pre-season games are always packed when they have them there," said Salter. "I don't think I'd have any trouble getting rid of my tickets on the off chance I didn't use them myself."

Salter's parents Ward and Diane Campbell also put down deposits on four season tickets in Hamilton. He also expected that other friends would be doing the same thing.

"There's been lots of talk over e-mail," said Salter.

The problem, of course, is that the team is still very much in Nashville and not even in Balsillie's control.

The NHL's board of governors has yet to approve Balsillie's proposed purchase of the Nashville team for between US$220 million and $238 million.

Rodier has said that Hamilton is a contingency plan in case things don't work out in Nashville. Despite having one of the best teams in the NHL last year, the Predators attendance was among the worst in the league.

Hamilton has long been rumoured as a potential NHL city and has actually held a ticket drive before. More than 13,000 season tickets were sold in 1990 when Hamilton was bidding for an expansion franchise.

Even with deposits being made through Ticketmaster, this could very well be another disappointment for those eager to see an NHL team in the city.
© The Canadian Press 2007

It's official, Muckler is out, and Murray is taking over as GM. He will be interim coach as well until they get a replacement.

All hell is about to break lose in Nashville.

If the Nashville Predators are not sold by June 30, which seems unlikely now, sources say club owner Craig Leipold is prepared to vastly trim his player payroll next season, even if it means dismantling a Stanley Cup contender.

The Predators are considered one of the deepest organizations in the NHL but the fire sale could begin as early as July 1 when marquee free agents such as Peter Forsberg and Paul Kariya could be jettisoned.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/...a7950-0412-4e7d-b9a5-03d64741edb2&k=50566&p=1

and directly following that story:

The Philadelphia Flyers have dipped into the free agent market a little early, thanks to the Nashville Predators.

Because of Nashville's uncertain ownership future and an expected tight budget in the coming year, sources tell TSN the Predators arranged with the Flyers to give them exclusive negotiating rights to two coveted free agents — defenceman Kimmo Timonen and forward Scott Hartnell.

Sources tell TSN the Flyers have now signed both Hartnell and Timonen to long-term contracts.

In exchange for giving up the rights to the two free agents the Predators knew they would not be able to sign, Nashville received back its own first round pick that it gave to the Flyers as part of the Peter Forsberg trade.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=211182&hubname=

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
holy shit...you'd figure that instead of letting the team get yoinked apart peacemeal, Bettman would almost say "Fuck it, lets fast-track this thing and keep the franchise viable"

But that'd be smart...and "Hockey in Nashville > Hockey Night in Canada" :icon_roll

Barely Legal

Standing on his head
The interest is definatly there, not just from Hamilton, but alot of surrounding cities as well.

But I don't think Bettman wants to see a team go from the US to Canada, he only likes it to go the other way.

I think the league is going to cock block this.
Tough call on whether or not this deal will go through. On one hand you'd think that Bettman would be against going into the Hamilton market because it wouldn't be attractive to the US television markets. On the other hand, Nashville wasn't doing much for the overall TV market anyways -- but Hamilton would benefit the Canadian TV market, especially CBC and HNIC.

And you also have to take into account that if the Preds are sold for $220+ million, then it would increase the value of ALL the franchises for ALL the owners. And because of that the greediness of the owners might allow this sale to go through.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
And you also have to take into account that if the Preds are sold for $220+ million, then it would increase the value of ALL the franchises for ALL the owners. And because of that the greediness of the owners might allow this sale to go through.

As much as I hate Nashville, I'm disappointed to see this dismantling news. There will be absolutely no competition in the Central Division now.

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
Bruins to hire Claude Julien

ESPN.com said:
Bruins reportedly hire Julien as head coach

The Boston Bruins have targeted their top choice to be the next coach.

TSN has confirmed a report that the Bruins have hired Claude Julien to replace Dave Lewis, who was fired after only one season. An official announcement is expected Tuesday.

Julien was fired as New Jersey's coach on April 3 with three games left in the regular season despite guiding the Devils to a Atlantic Division-leading 47-24-8 record. The 47-year-old also coached the Montreal Canadiens from January 2003 until January 2006.

The Boston post is a tenuous position, one that no one has held for more than three seasons in the past 30 years. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli hoped to name a successor before Friday's draft in Columbus.

In the past 30 years, 16 men have held the job. Harry Sinden had two stints, and Mike Sullivan served three seasons but was cast aside in favor of Lewis after Chiarelli became general manager. Chiarelli was hired on May 26 last year but continued at the Ottawa Senators ' insistence as their assistant general manager until July 10.

When Lewis was hired June 29 from among five candidates, Chiarelli described the former Detroit head coach as a "highly motivated, team-focused, NHL coach."

Chiarelli wants a tougher team and one important factor in the search was for someone who can relate to young players and may have familiarity with some.

"That's important because we do have existing young players [in Boston] and we've got some young players in Providence that are close," Chiarelli said. "There has to be a track record of that there."

Bruins executive vice president Charlie Jacobs didn't think the short tenures of past coaches -- the Bruins will be hiring their sixth in this century -- would dissuade a candidate from taking the job.

"If you speak to a candidate in the National Hockey League about coaching an Original Six franchise, namely the Boston Bruins, I think there's quite an allure to it," he said.

Last year's hirings of Chiarelli and Lewis were part of a shake-up of an organization that hasn't won a Stanley Cup championship since 1972. Sinden left as president and Jeff Gorton, named interim general manager after Mike O'Connell was fired, stepped aside when Chiarelli took over but remained in the front office.

That transition continued throughout the season as Chiarelli kept obtaining new players. Last Friday, Lewis became part of it again when he lost the coaching job but remained in the organization in an undetermined capacity.

Chiarelli had said he spoke with four candidates "at length," and Jacobs said Chiarelli would make the choice.

"There will be no second guessing of the next selection" by management, Jacobs said. "I have faith that Peter will make it work.'

flyerfan116

Fuckin savages
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Nice job Holgrem on signing Timonen and Hartnell..not saying it's gonna solve all our problems but it's definitely a step in the right direction, hopefulyy Timonen especially can help with the leadership issues the team had last year...I still want Drury or Briere upfront...Gomez as a 3rd choice but i don't know what the CAP situation is right now

Jimmy's Dignity

Pound my bloody fudge!!
Staff member
Wackbag Staff
Hurricanes re-sign Scott Walker

ESPN.com said:
RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Carolina Hurricanes have agreed to a three-year contract with winger Scott Walker, who could have become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The deal announced Wednesday will pay Walker $2.5 million per season.

Carolina acquired Walker from Nashville last summer. Walker ranked sixth on the team with 21 goals, 30 assists and 51 points with 45 penalty minutes in 81 games. He also brought needed toughness to a roster built primarily on speed.

Walker will enter his 13th NHL season in 2007-08.

"Keeping Scott in Carolina was one of our top priorities this offseason," Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford said. "He brings skill and grit to our forward lines and he has become one of our team's leaders on and off the ice."