2007 Rutgers football

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
(We have nothing to do with the women's basketball team)

NYC area Groups of fans alumni will be watching games (home and away) at Buffalo Wild Wings in Brooklyn, among other places, which i'll try to list for those interested.

places to talk RU football:
scarletnation.com
rutgers.scout.com

here's WNBC's preview show from this past weekend.
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v10402458E8SRk5F

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Rutgers related at least: Did anyone see Brian Leonard jump another guy in a Ram preseason game? They must of told him if they draft him he has to do the high hurdle every couple weeks.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Rutgers related at least: Did anyone see Brian Leonard jump another guy in a Ram preseason game? They must of told him if they draft him he has to do the high hurdle every couple weeks.
I guess you're not a big Rutgers fan yet (understandable, but get on board immediately)....that was a patented move in his college highlight tape.....

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=leonard+leap+rutgers
I still think the original (against Illinois) was the greatest - but yeah, if that goes down in the NFL at all, it's a big deal.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Now not really a Rutgers fan or am I anti-Rutgers. I am just very aware of the Leonard leap as I am a graduate of the University Of Illinois.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Now not really a Rutgers fan or am I anti-Rutgers. I am just very aware of the Leonard leap as I am a graduate of the University Of Illinois.
I am a grad of Rutgers and Purdue.

Speaking of Champaign, I miss Jimmy Johns. They were all over the midwest, including west lafayette. I did get to go to one in pittsburgh last year. I think that distinctive taste would work in NYC.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Being from the Chicago area I had many friends and family go to Purdue, but I escaped elsewhere in the Big 10.

I was shocked when I moved to Las Vegas and there are a couple of Jimmy Johns here. None very close to my general are, but I will stop in when I pass one.

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
I didn't go to Rutgers, but my parents and two of my sisters did. I was at that stadium when Donovan McNabb and Jerry Porter were torching the hapless secondary and U of Miami championship teams were putting up 62 spots on them. When Mike McMahon was the very faint glimmer of hope at QB. I'm very happy for the Rutgers team and their long suffering alum in their recent successful run.

That being said, I think Brian Leonard has to knock it off with that fruity leap, especially since it's his first year in the NFL! Nobody likes a showboat on the field. Young hot doggers tend to get eaten alive and humbled in that league.

I'd really like to see him do that on October 14, when Ray Lewis is lining up against him on the other side of the ball!

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
That being said, I think Brian Leonard has to knock it off with that fruity leap, especially since it's his first year in the NFL! Nobody likes a showboat on the field. Young hot doggers tend to get eaten alive and humbled in that league.

I know what you mean - (like when Jason Williams (the whigger one) did all the street tricks early on in his NBA career even though he didn't have a decent turnover ratio), but Leonard's leaping is different.

it was created by necessity. since he's basically still got a fullback build, defenders are coached to take him down low - so he's got to go high if he's trying to get a few more yards. as i understand it, in a one on one situation in the open field leaping is the right thing to do, but near a group of tacklers, he's putting his legs at risk for a career-ending chop. really not all that different from Alstott trying to carry a pile forward.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
MSG and Rutgers football cut TV deal. Holy shit! when i covered the team 7 years ago, there would be four reporters and a camera in the room at a weekly "media day" dinner.

http://scarletknights.com/football/news/release.asp?prID=5602

the 60 min. condensed game thing alone will probably be enough to build new fans.

one of the biggest problems with college football is that only a select few teams in the whole country can are covered/broadcasted enough for fans to follow them intensely. obviously the web has changed things, but ND has had every game (save one, i think) for 14 years on national broadcast or cable. No one can top that, but having your own regionally/nationally accessible channel is the next best thing.

DoughBoy

Woogally Cute
Wackbag Staff
Jul 28, 2003
Jersey Shore
Got my season tix and I'm warming up for the game on Thursday. 31 point spread...

Gonzoid

The Tenacious T-Bagger
Aug 23, 2002
This God-Forsaken Place
I am a Penn State alum and huge college football fan...would love to see Rutgers become a perennial top 20 program. It would be huuge for the school and huge for college football in the NYC area.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
Got my season tix and I'm warming up for the game on Thursday. 31 point spread...
RU is more than 31 points better than Buffalo, but I'd lay off betting that, because they are going to be experimenting with some things. probably a sick deep ball threat to Kenny Britt. New offensive coordinator this year.

If anyone is interested in coming to Buffalo Wild Wings in Bklyn, please message me so I can know to expect you.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I was at Rutgers when the students in the stands would actually yell out the plays that were coming since they apparently used a play book from Namco Football
I remember all of the sports they recently cut had better win /loss percentages and earned more money those 4 years....just saying ......Go Knights

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
tonight is game one. get ready. it is a new day.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Rice is Going nuts!!!!!!
Underwood had a great run too
28 -0 and it is halftime!

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
A beauty to start the season! Nice game. Everyone looked great tonight! Can anyone tell me how Rutgers only got 4 away games this season? The only tough games on the schedule are W Virginia, Pitt, and Louisville.

Will creampuffing the schedule up screw with their BCS standing if they run the table or drop only 1 game? Can someone explain to me how the hell that works?

DoughBoy

Woogally Cute
Wackbag Staff
Jul 28, 2003
Jersey Shore
Maryland is a tough game. USF will also be a tough game and Cincy won't be a pushover.

I wasn't terribly impressed given the oponent, but for the first game of the year, they sure tore some shit up.

May 7, 2003
Hicksville NY
I love rooting for an underdog so I kinda was on the Rutgers bandwagon last year...

Ray is an animal

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Creampier, they usually flip-flop scheds. As a former College Coach, fitting games/meets into a good sched is a biotch!

letterizer

Talking Da sports
Feb 21, 2006
so are the Womens basketball team still nappy headed hoes..........<Car Crash>

commish13

Personal Friend of Chris Jericho
May 24, 2005
Emerson, NJ
I'm not digging this new offensive coordinator right now, and I don't think Schiano's very happy right now either. The team played very well, but the coaches made a few shitty decisions with the play calling. The defense also has a lot to work on, but they have a bunch of guys out with injuries right now who will be back in a month or so.

I've been a season ticket holder since the 1999 season and I've been following Rutgers for 12 or 13 years now. I am really proud and happy that they're finally winning after all of the shit I sat with them and watched them go through, but I fucking despise the new fans who don't really give a shit. It's great to watch them win, but the fans who don't know what's going on and only attend because all of a sudden they're a winning team really take a lot of the fun away from it.

The team looked good tonight, but the offensive coordinator has got to get his shit together (new guy but you wouldn't know it by looking at some of the shitty play calling) and the defense has some work to do. Next week should be a good win, but it will be interesting because Rutgers does tend to struggle with the option.

If they can beat Louisville and West Virginia this year, they're going to have to start playing some real football teams, because right now them and South Florida are the only non pushovers they have.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
I'm not digging this new offensive coordinator right now, and I don't think Schiano's very happy right now either.

I'm not sure about that. We saw career-best passing for Teel, school record for receiving for Tiquan, and still room for 3 TDs for Rice? The defensive line needs work and Ito needs to get settled down, that seems for sure. it was against Buffalo, but it still counts.

Did you hate the flea fiicker or just the second half sluggish slow-down? nevertheless 563 yards total offense. let's wait to judge this coordinator.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
the second half sluggish slow-down? nevertheless 563 yards total offense. let's wait to judge this coordinator.
Rutgers has a historically bad second half........
And moe, I am a lil piece of Rutgers Athletic history. (my Picture was in the Daily Tagum) and I have a few records under my belt and was named on the website for a sport for five years!