2007 World Champion Red Sox offseason thread

SurlyTruckDrivr

You've got a friend in WDTv2.0
Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
first question answered, not a surprise. Already made the rounds today anyway.

Done deal

By Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff
Curt Schilling and the Red Sox finalized a one-year, $8 million contract today.
According to Schilling, who first posted the confirmation on his web site, the deal includes a possible $6 million in incentives in addition to his $8 million base salary: $2 million in weight incentives (based on six weigh-ins), $3 million based on innings pitched, and $1 million if he receives even a single Cy Young vote.
Schilling, who made $13 million in 2007, added that the weight clause was added by him, not the Red Sox.
"I inserted the weigh in clause in the second round of offers, counter offers," Schilling wrote. "Given the mistakes I made last winter and into spring training I needed to show them I recognized that, and understood the importance of it. Being overweight and out of shape are two different things. I also was completely broad sided by the fact that your body doesn't act/react the same way as you get older. Even after being told that for the first 39 years of my life. Now I can't get on Dougie [Mirabelli] anymore, which sucks, and I am sure the clause will add 15-100 more jokes to Tito's Schilling joke book."
The final step of the deal, according to Schilling, was an MRI, which he said took this morning and passed.
Schilling wrote that he thought he could have earned more money and gotten a longer deal elsewhere.
"Did I 'leave' money on the table, yes. Could I have gotten another year? I think so," he wrote. "In talking with my advisor Ed Hayes, assessing the market place and current free agent crop as well as existing contracts. Looking at the teams that called, my best guess would be around $14-15 million for a 1 year deal with the potential to get 25-30 for a two year deal."
Schilling did, however, say that money played a role in his decision.
"Saying it's not 'about the money' is a lie too," he wrote. "Both sides have a price, at some number I was not a viable option for the Red Sox, and at another number the Sox might have become a non-contender to us, but we both wanted this to happen and it did."
Schilling, who turns 41 on Nov. 14, went 9-8 with a 3.87 ERA in the regular season. In the postseason, the veteran righty went 3-0 in four starts, with a 3.00 ERA, improving his career postseason won-loss mark to 11-2 with a 2.23 ERA.
"Bottom line is Mr. Henry, Mr. Werner, Mr. Lucchino, Theo, Tito [Francona] and John [Farrell]wanted me to come back, and I wanted to be back," Schilling wrote. "So it’s all good."
With Schilling back in the fold, the Red Sox starting rotation for 2008 appears set with Josh Beckett, Schilling, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Jon Lester, Clay Buchholz, and Tim Wakefield competing for the five starting slots.
The return of Red Sox pitching coach John Farrell was also a factor for Schilling when deciding where to pitch in 2008.
"John Farrell is a huge part of the equation, not just for me either," Schilling wrote in an e-mail on Friday. "He's as good as anyone I've ever worked with and probably the most over qualified pitching coach in the world ... While I would claim we are very close friends, he was always my coach first, which is something I desperately need at this point in my career."

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
I have mixed feeling's about Curt Schilling. While I respect what he's done in a Red Sox uniform, I get annoyed with his eagerness to talk to reporters and put himself in the limelight like he's the star of the team. He is very vocal and it bothers me. But all in all I am proud and happy to have him with us for his final year. I would love to see him in some sort of role with the Red Sox after next year as well. I think he would be a great coach,,,,there must be a place for him, and i'm really hoping he goes that route much like Clemens has discussed. Those two would steller pitching coaches,....

This makes me think of our whole pitching line-up. Many felt that Dice-K "sucked." However he came through when it counted and,,,let's face it we won the world series so there are no holes in that team,,,at least holes that were not fixed.....I think most of the hate toward him was due to the expectations, not his actual performance.

Cybouncer

Not Fat, Big Boned!
Feb 26, 2006
Long Island, NY
This is very good for the Sox.

An incentive based contract is exactly what they wanted. It also shows a lot on Schill's end that he was willing to work a deal like this. I really didn't think it was going to happen.

Even though he wasn't exactly impressive this season, I think it was a real eye opener for him. I don't forsee him playing past next year but you can bet he'll be inshape come spring.

SurlyTruckDrivr

Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
This also means that most likely Lester or Buchholz starts in the pen. Figure Beckett/Shill/Dice K/Wake. Which is good, they probably don't want either of the 2 kids going crazy with IP anyway, plus the usual injuries with 2 40+ starters. Trades could always shake things up to, long offseason, you never know what's gonna happen. I could see Lester getting the 5th slot, be nice to have a lefty in the rotation and maybe Buchholz the 8th inning guy. Tavarez could be the longman/spot starter if he's not traded. Guess it depends how much they're planning on letting the kids pitch.

Beckett
Schilling
Matsuzaka
Wakefield
Lester

Papelbon
Buchholz 8th inn
Okajima 7th inn
Delcarmen
Tavarez
Hansen/Timlin/Lopez/FA

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
WEEI was talking about a 6 man rotation...not a bad idea considering the age of Wake and Schill.

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Ortiz Gets Silver Slugger Award For The FOURTH TIME!!

Fourth straight Silver Slugger for Ortiz
Designated hitter adapts to injuries with usual excellence

BOSTON -- There were times during the 2007 season when David Ortiz's right knee shot through with pain at the slightest application of pressure -- but that didn't prevent the Red Sox designated hitter from legging out 52 doubles, second most in baseball.

There were stretches when Ortiz couldn't swing without hearing an audible "pop" in his left shoulder, or sensing a mechanical hitch. And yet he finished with a .332 batting average, easily the best of his career.
There were moments when Boston's Big Papi, lacking propulsion in his tired legs and power stroke, felt more like "Ichiro [Suzuki]," as he joked to reporters in May. Four months later, he owned a very un-Ichiro-like 1.066 on-base plus slugging percentage, one-thousandth of a point behind American League leader Alex Rodriguez.

Ortiz's ability to remake himself, to succeed not just on physical strength but on skill and persistence, is one good reason why he has won a Silver Slugger Award at designated hitter for the fourth straight year.

"I would say, personally, this is one of my best offensive years here in Boston, all the way around," said Ortiz, who finished with a career-high and AL-best on-base percentage of .445, along with 35 homers and 117 RBIs. "I think [if] you look at my numbers this year ... I put it together more than some of the other seasons when people think I had a good season."

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, who appreciates the kind of numbers that Ortiz put up in 2007, has called Big Papi's year "underappreciated."
"All the home runs aren't quite there or the RBIs we've seen in the past," Epstein said, "but if you look, he's had one of the best offensive seasons in the American League, if not the best. It's pretty impressive what he's done."
Before Ortiz did it last year, no DH in the 27-year history of the Silver Slugger had won the award even three times in a row. Ortiz's four awards now tie him with Paul Molitor (1987-88, 1993, 1996) and Edgar Martinez (1995, 1997, 2001, 2003) for the most at DH all-time (Martinez also won the award at third base in 1992).

Suzuki joins Ortiz on the 2007 Silver Slugger roster as a repeat performer. Fellow AL Silver Slugger winners Jorge Posada, Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Magglio Ordonez and Vladimir Guerrero are repeat honorees, with only Tampa Bay's Carlos Pena and Detroit's Placido Polanco winning for the first time in the AL.

The Silver Sluggers, given to a player at each position in each league, were determined by a vote of Major League Baseball coaches and managers. Voters took batting average, on-base percentage, and slugging percentage into account, and drew upon their own general impressions of overall offensive value. They could not vote for a player on their own team.

A representative of the Hillerich & Bradsby Co., the maker of Louisville
Slugger, the Official Bat of Major League Baseball, will present the specially designed award to each winner in a ceremony early in the 2008 season. The trophy is three feet tall and bears the engraved name of the winner and his Silver Slugger teammates in his respective league. The Silver Sluggers were instituted by H&B in 1980 as a natural extension of the Silver Bat Award, which is, as its name indicates, a silver-plated bat presented by Louisville Slugger to the batting champions of the AL and NL. This year's Silver Bat Award winners are Colorado's Matt Holliday and Detroit's Ordonez. Holliday won the NL batting title with a .340 average, and Ordonez led the AL and the Majors with a .363 average. Each will receive his Silver Bat Award in an on-field presentation early in the 2008 season.

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Lowell 3 Year Deal?

Red Sox have offer on table for Lowell
Report indicates third baseman considering three-year deal

While the details are not clear, the Boston Herald and WBZ-TV's Dan Roche are reporting that the World Series MVP has been offered a three-year contract worth $35-$45 million.

The offer from the team and Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein to agents Sam and Seth Levinson apparently came at the end of the just-completed General Managers Meetings in Orlando.

"We've been talking to Theo every day and we remain hopeful," Sam Levinson told the Boston Herald, which quoted a source as saying the offer was "really strong."

The Red Sox are the only team that can negotiate with Lowell through midnight on Monday, and then other teams may join in the bidding if the third baseman decides not to accept the offer.

Epstein also met with agent Scott Boras, but Epstein dismissed a report that indicated that the sole topic was free agent Alex Rodriguez. The Boston Globe also reported that some teams have shown interest in outfielder Coco Crisp, who is rumored to be on the trading block this offseason with the emergence of rookie Jacoby Ellsbury, who figures to be the starting center fielder come Opening Day.

SurlyTruckDrivr

Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
WEEI was talking about a 6 man rotation...not a bad idea considering the age of Wake and Schill.
I don't see that happening, in theory it's not a bad idea, but if they ever went with it I hope it would be a "modified" 6 man rotation. I don't want to take any starts away from Beckett. If they did something like keeping Beckett on his usual schedule and spot starting someone whenever they have a stretch of games without a day off I could see that, but the whole thing falls apart the second an injury happens. And with 2 40 year olds it's certainly possible. Plus I'd like to see how Dice K reacts in his second year here. Getting used to Boston, working in a 5 man rotation, he'd been used to a 6 man rotation forever it was a stretch to think he'd adjust right away. He had a good first season, Yankee fans can knock him all they want, but 15 wins, mid 4 ERA as a #3 starter ain't bad. Yes the Sox offense won him some games, but any team would take those stats out of their 3rd starter.

Steam

May 18, 2003
Don't fucking try and use wins as a sign of worth. They are dependent on the team. The facts are that Matsuzaka shat the bed in the second half. You can't use wins to frame that into a positive. With that said, I think he will be improved next year and be a really solid number two guy for Boston next year.

As much as the fact that Schilling is a Red Sox and a loudmouth bother me I can't fault him for his work with ALS. Plus when I met him (granted it was over ten years ago) he was a pretty stand up guy. I think that given what hack pitchers are getting these days they got a bargain, even more so if he comes into camp wanting to cash in the "I'm Not a Fatso" incentive.

SurlyTruckDrivr

Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
Don't fucking try and use wins as a sign of worth. They are dependent on the team. The facts are that Matsuzaka shat the bed in the second half. You can't use wins to frame that into a positive. With that said, I think he will be improved next year and be a really solid number two guy for Boston next year.

As much as the fact that Schilling is a Red Sox and a loudmouth bother me I can't fault him for his work with ALS. Plus when I met him (granted it was over ten years ago) he was a pretty stand up guy. I think that given what hack pitchers are getting these days they got a bargain, even more so if he comes into camp wanting to cash in the "I'm Not a Fatso" incentive.
I agree, nowhere did I say wins should be what a pitcher is judged by. But pitching in one of the 2 most scrutanized baseball cities and 5 man rotation for the first time his numbers (15 W, 4.40 era and 200 K) don't warrant him being called a bust. He obviously struggled in the last 2 months, I'm not saying otherwise. Hopefully a year of adjustment to pitching every 5th day will result in better numbers throughout the year.

SurlyTruckDrivr

Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
Pedroia ROY!!!!

From rotoworld

Dustin Pedroia received 24 of the 28 first-place votes on his way to being named AL Rookie of the Year on Monday.
He was listed second on the remaining ballots to total 132 points. Delmon Young finished in second place with three first-place votes and 56 points total. Eight of the 28 voters declined to place him on the ballots. We hope that was because he was a below average regular all year long and not because of his late-season attitude issues. Claiming the remaining first-place vote was Brian Bannister, who finished third with 36 points. Also receiving votes were Daisuke Matsuzaka (12 points), Reggie Willits (11), Hideki Okajima (3), Josh Fields (1) and Joakim Soria (1).

:clap::clap: nice!!

BravoSierra

Why do people keep calling me?
Jun 27, 2005
Berkeley, CA
Baseball lasts 10 months per year. Can't you just take these 2 months and enjoy the fact that baseball doesn't exist right now? I don't even follow the stupid sport and I'm exhausted by it every year.

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Baseball lasts 10 months per year. Can't you just take these 2 months and enjoy the fact that baseball doesn't exist right now? I don't even follow the stupid sport and I'm exhausted by it every year.

I agree,,,there shouldn't be any talk unless your team is the World Champions:D

SurlyTruckDrivr

Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
nice, I'll be in the Fall River area this Friday until next Sat, gonna pick up a few WS things when I get there. Hey Norton23 are you going to see Jimmy in Providence this weekend?

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
nice, I'll be in the Fall River area this Friday until next Sat, gonna pick up a few WS things when I get there. Hey Norton23 are you going to see Jimmy in Providence this weekend?

Ill be in Sudburry Ma this weekend doing Thanksgiving Part 2, have to work Sat then driving there with the g/f, turkey day part 2 sunday, and then the pats game.

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Dice K is da' man

Red Sox, A's Japan-bound in 2008

Meeting marks fifth international MLB regular-season opener
NAPLES, Fla. -- Major League Baseball is opening its regular season in Japan's 55,000-seat Tokyo Dome next March for the third time, it was announced on Wednesday, with the defending World Series champion Red Sox facing the A's.

The five days of festivities include regular-season games between the two clubs on March 25 and 26, exhibition day-night doubleheaders against Nippon Professional Baseball teams on March 22 and 23, and an off-day workout sandwiched in between on March 24.

The announcement coincided with the owners gathering for their final quarterly meetings of the year on Wednesday and Thursday at a local resort hotel.

"We were proud to get the invitation from MLB and Yomiuri," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino told MLB.com on Wednesday. "It comes at a good time for us, because we want to express our gratitude to the Japanese baseball world for the contribution their two pitchers made to our World Series championship."
As it has been done in the past, Yomiuri, which owns the Central League's Giants and is one of the largest media corporations in the world, will sponsor and host the games in Tokyo Dome.

It's the fifth time MLB is playing its season-opener internationally. It initially happened in 1999, when the Padres opened against the Rockies at Monterrey, Mexico. But this will be the first time the Red Sox or A's play regular-season games outside of North America.

The Red Sox, with former Japanese League pitchers Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima, are anticipated to be the principal draw in Tokyo -- much like the Yankees were in 2004 when former Yomiuri Giants slugger Hideki Matsui returned to his home country for the first time wearing the famous pinstripes.

The Yankees played Tampa Bay there in 2004, and the Mets played the Cubs in the first Japan opener in 2000.
In 2001, the Blue Jays and Rangers opened in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where the Expos also played 22 of their "home games" during each of the 2003 and 2004 seasons. The Padres and the Mets were the first teams to play a regular-season series internationally when they met in Monterrey during the 1996 season.

Lucchino was the president of the Padres on both occasions when they played in Mexico and was a staunch proponent of obtaining Matsuzaka and Okajima, who both left Japan as free agents to join the Red Sox prior to the 2007 season. The Red Sox have also recently developed a working agreement with the Chiba Lotte club in Japan's Pacific League.

"I was very pleased we were able to work that out," Bob DuPuy, MLB's president and chief operating officer, said on Wednesday about the March matchup in Japan. "We are pleased that we were able to bring together our sponsor, the Red Sox and Oakland, and work out the logistics. This is the third time we're opening the season in Japan. We're bringing back two Japanese stars to Japan, and the world champions to boot. It will make this a very special event for us."

Oakland missed its first Japanese opportunity when a two-game opener of the 2003 season against the Mariners in Tokyo Dome was canceled because of the beginning of the war in Iraq. It seems to be smooth sailing this time around for the A's, who will sacrifice a pair of home games in Oakland next season to accommodate the logistics of the trip.

"The Oakland A's are very excited and honored to be opening the 2008 season in Japan," Michael Crowley, the team's president, said. "Baseball is truly a game without borders, and we are pleased to have the opportunity to be a part of the game's growth on the international level."
Both the A's and Red Sox will return to the U.S. to conclude Spring

Training before resuming their regular-season schedules.
Because the second World Baseball Classic is scheduled for March 2009, MLB officials have been working feverishly for months to set up next year's Asian extravaganza.

Signs also point to the Padres and Dodgers playing exhibition games in Beijing, China, on March 15-16, 2008. Beijing will be host to the Summer Olympics from Aug. 8-24, 2008, and is staging what may be the final Games' medal competition in two small baseball stadiums outside the city. Demonstration games were already played there this past summer, and the exhibition games are slated for the larger of the two facilities, which holds 12,000 people.

It would be the first MLB games of any kind in that country, which banned baseball during the Cultural Revolution of the 1960s.
The delay in making that announcement has nothing to do at this point with MLB, DuPuy said, since the Padres, Dodgers and players union are all in agreement about going.
"It's getting the permits from the [Chinese] government," he said. "It's an administrative process and we want to be very sensitive to the needs and the protocols of the Chinese government. It's the first time we've ever done this and they're very busy with it being their Olympic year. They've been very supportive of it and we're hopeful of getting it done."

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Whats this Johan Santana trade rumors I keep hearing about????
2009 MLB Free Agents: Johan Santana

Is it too early to be talking about this? Apparently not. Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press throws it out there: what's going to happen when Johan Santana hits free agency after the 2008 season? Walters says Santana will still be just 29. In reality, 2009 will be his age 30 season.

Johan Santana To Yankees?

Only if he wants it - and if he hears cha-ching.
Fucking Yankees and there DEEP pockets:icon_roll

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
EEI was talkin about us gettin him in a sign and trade deal. Who knows probly just wishfull thinking.

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
2008 Red Sox Fantasy Camp Info

The 2008 Official Boston Red Sox Fantasy Camp is now on sale!

Space is limited to just 120 players so sign up today and join the Boston Red Sox in sunny Fort Myers, FL for seven days from February 3 to February 10 and be a part of a Red Sox experience of a lifetime.

Anyone 30 years of age or older can take advantage of this once-in a lifetime opportunity to be a big leaguer. Don't miss your chance to play ball at the Boston Red Sox Spring Training Facility with past Red Sox greats such as Bill Lee, Rich Gedman, Jim Corsi and more.

Meet the greats of Red Sox past, including Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski, Dwight Evans, and Frank Malzone, have your name announced by Joe Castiglione, and enjoy a week of baseball action you'll never forget!

More Information & Reservations

Space is limited, as less than 30 spots remain for next year's camp. There are many ways to get more information or reserve your spot:
1. Call 877-342-6366 or 617-226-6400
2. E-mail fantasycamp@redsox.com
3. Register online »

ONE YEAR AWAY:arrrh: Im sighing up for the 2009 camp

NightStalker3

a complete moron that posts
Oct 4, 2004
Sox to add more seats, food....

The Boston Red Sox are adding more than 800 new seats at Fenway Park as part of a slate of improvements planned for next season.

The new seats and standing room areas for about 60 people will be added to the pavilion level, which is the third level of seating above home plate. The pavilion area will be extended down the first base line and the third base line, where about three-quarters of the new seating will be located, the team announced.

In total, Fenway’s capacity will increase by about 900 fans.

The pavilion seats will cost between $75 to $90 and the standing room area tickets will cost $25.

"We understand the demand for such seats; thus we are adding to the supply," Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said.

The team also plans to install new scoreboards, new stairways and elevators and open a year-round restaurant in center field that will have a view of the ballpark. I seen this on NESN, a door in the restaurant that you can see out of the wall in Centerfield

The announcement comes the same week the team said 2008 ticket prices would increase an average of 9 percent. Prices at Fenway range from $12 for upper bleachers seats to $125 for field box seats. Lucchino said the added revenue was needed to keep the team competitive, particularly as the rival New York Yankees see a major revenue increase when they move into a new stadium in 2009.

The new seats and other improvements are part of the annual offseason renovations the team has undertaken at the league’s oldest and smallest ballpark since the ownership group led by John Henry bought the Red Sox in 2002.

Among the major renovations were adding seats above the "Green Monster" in left field in 2003. Before last season, the team added a new bleacher section on the roof deck in right field.

"For decades, there was a presumption that Fenway Park had outlived its useful life and, sentiment aside, would have to be replaced by a modern facility in another location," Lucchino said. "We are eager to see, in 2012, this ballpark become the first ever to celebrate its 100th anniversary."