2007's Auction for Hitler's Globe!

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Lest anyone forget...

Hitler's globe goes under hammer, 62 years on

OAKLAND, United States (AFP) — For more than 60 years, one of Adolf Hitler's most prized possessions has been gathering dust in the attic of John Barsamian's home in a sleepy suburb overlooking San Francisco Bay.

On Tuesday, however, Barsamian will part company with the unique World War II relic taken from Hitler's "Eagle's Nest" retreat 62 years ago, a desktop globe upon which the Fuhrer may well have once plotted world domination.

For decades, Barsamian had paid little attention to the artifact as he quietly raised a family and worked as a fraud investigator for the US Securities and Exchange Commission.

"I am not the kind of fellow to get up on a bandstand and yell and scream about things," Barsamian, 91, told AFP in an interview at his home.

"The globe was never even a subject of conversation really. It's not like we had a spotlight on it or anything. We all have our own private things."

In spring 1945, only ten days after Hitler had committed suicide in his Berlin bunker, Barsamian and two other American soldiers explored the Eagle's Nest where the young warrant officer found the globe sitting on a table amidst the rubble of the heavily shelled compound.

He keeps a tattered photo album thick with fading wartime photographs on his coffee table chronicling his more than four-year career in the Army.

On the wall hangs a portrait of a dour faced Barsamian dated 1944, a painting made by an Army comrade one night during the flickering lights of an air raid in Alsace-Lorraine.

Several snapshots show a helmeted Barsamian with a rifle slung over his shoulder standing in a large room at the Eagle's Nest the day he found the globe.

"I had been to Dachau and seen the boxcars full of bodies," said Barsamian. "When I saw that globe I had this sudden realization that this is really where Hitler had lived and I knew that this was something important."

He shipped the globe home to his parents in Oakland who lived in an apartment above a grocery store they owned, along with a note that read, "Today I went to visit Adolf Hitler's home at Berchtesgaden in the Alps. What a beautiful view from his front window. Here's one of the best parts though -- I was able to pick up in Hitler's house a wonderful souvenir -- a large global map of the world. By golly, you could put it in the store and tell customers that this came from Hitler's den in Berchtesgaden."

Barsamian has kept meticulous documentation, including all the legal and military paperwork necessary for him to collect his booty and even the lid to the shipping crate that spirited the globe across the Atlantic.

Finally, he says, it's time to share its story with the world.

"Let's face facts, I'm 91 and time passes every day and I had a wonderful life," he said. "If I left this to my sons to worry about there would be so many questions, but I was there and I can prove it."

Greg Martin, whose San Francisco auction house will handle the sale, says the kind of airtight documentation surrounding war-time artifacts is rare. He expects the globe to fetch up to 20,000 dollars.

"There is really no precedent for this and there is no question about its authenticity. We'll find out just what it's worth on November 13th," he said. "I've never auctioned a globe before, and the more I ponder it, with its shrapnel markings, the symbolism is astounding."
Here's a photo:

Sep 9, 2005
South Jersey
Let me clear something up before anyone busts on me. Just like Barrett Jackson, the winner pays 15%, in addition to the winning bid, to the auction house. That's where Anthony came up with $115,000.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast