2008 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
Who would you vote for? You can vote for as little as zero or as many as ten:

Brady Anderson *
Harold Baines
Rod Beck *
Bert Blyleven
Dave Concepción
Andre Dawson
Shawon Dunston *
Chuck Finley *
Travis Fryman *
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Tommy John
David Justice *
Chuck Knoblauch *
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Robb Nen *
Dave Parker
Tim Raines *
Jim Rice
José Rijo
Lee Smith
Todd Stottlemyre *
Alan Trammell *

*-first time on the ballot

peopleselbow

YiChen BuddhaChrist
Jan 25, 2006
Chicago

Brady Anderson *
Harold Baines
Rod Beck *
Bert Blyleven
Dave Concepción
Andre Dawson
Shawon Dunston *
Chuck Finley *
Travis Fryman *
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Tommy John
David Justice *
Chuck Knoblauch *
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Robb Nen *
Dave Parker
Tim Raines *
Jim Rice
José Rijo
Lee Smith
Todd Stottlemyre *
Alan Trammell *

*-first time on the ballot
Baines, Rice, Trammell and John.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Raines
Gossage
Blyleven
McGwire

Can Rice finally drop off already? Good player, not a hall of famer. Though, Puckett getting in and Sutter before Gossage really fucked up the overall HOF criteria.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
My list:

1. Tim Raines- one of the most underrated players ever. Seven time All-Star, Top five all-time in stolen bases, All-Star game MVP, and won a batting title.

2. Bert Byleven- I went back and forth on him. 287 wins is good, but he also has 250 losses. Also has only played in only two All-Star games. However he played on some pretty bad teams and has 3, 701 strikeouts and a career 3.31 ERA. Ultimately those numbers are too good to keep him out of the HOF.

3. Andre Dawson- Eight time All-Star, one of only three players in MLB history with 400 homeruns and 300 stolen bases, also won a ROY and MVP.

4. Rich Gossage- One of the best closers ever. He gets my vote.

5. Dale Murphy- He is admittedly is borderline, but I believe he should be in. Seven time All-Star and two-time MVP, all while playing for arguably one of the worst teams in the 80’s. He won’t get in but I think he should.

6. Jim Rice- One of the best in his eras. Eight time All-Star, won an MVP and two Silver Slugger awards. He should absolutely be in the HOF.

7. Lee Smith- was the all-time leader in saves until Trevor Hoffman overtook him. The all-time leader in any positive stat should be in the HOF.

Just missed:

1. Don Mattingly- Had some high points in a career that was cut short by injuries. If he hadn’t played in New York would probably not get as much HOF support as he does.

2. Dave Parker- good stats, but not great. Very good hitter that never really stood out. It will be interesting to see how many votes he actually gets.

3. Jack Morris- Gets a lot of support but although he had his moments was for the most part very average.

4. Alan Trammell and Dave Concepcion’- stood out for their fielding more than anything else.

5. Mark McGwire- Basically a “one trick pony” who hit homeruns and did little else on the field, and because that power will always be brought into question I would not vote him in.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Morris/Trammell/McGwire are all much closer to the HOF than Mattingly though.

Rice just isn't a HOF career player though. The only HOFer his career compares to is Cepeda, who was better for longer. Other than that it's Moises Alou, Ellis Burks, Galarraga, and Dave Parker himself. All good players, none of them are hall of famers.

The baseball hall of fame should try to reclaim some of it's glory that's been taken away by Sutter/Puckett/Cal Ripken getting more votes than Tony Gwynn.

Redding

Why can't us?
Mar 20, 2005
Bristol, PA
Harold Baines - Best DH of all time
Rod Beck *
Bert Blyleven
Andre Dawson
Travis Fryman *
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Tommy John- created the surgery el oh el
David Justice * - his plaque should say "punched halle berry"
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Jack Morris
Dale Murphy
Tim Raines *
Lee Smith
Alan Trammell

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
I have a feeling Raines won't make it, and it'll be a joke. In his prime he wasn't very writer-friendly and most of the younger writers grew up looking at just Rickey and not noticing Raines was also an out of this world leadoff guy.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Mattingly
Goose
Anderson

Brady Anderson? He is a career .250 hitter that juiced up for one season and pulled 50 hrs out of his ass. I can't think of anyone more undeserving of the HOF than him.

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
My votes for this year's HOF inductees are:

Dawson
Gossage
Mattingly

I don't know that the ballot is that good this year. I don't see anyone that jumps out at you as a no brainer, I don't think that any of the 1st timers get in this year. With Raines/Beck/Finely as the 1st timers with the best chances to get in.

Brady Anderson, Travis Fryman, Todd Stottlemyer and Shawon Dunston even being ON the ballot is a joke...

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
My votes for this year's HOF inductees are:

Dawson
Gossage
Mattingly

I don't know that the ballot is that good this year. I don't see anyone that jumps out at you as a no brainer, I don't think that any of the 1st timers get in this year. With Raines/Beck/Finely as the 1st timers with the best chances to get in.

Brady Anderson, Travis Fryman, Todd Stottlemyer and Shawon Dunston even being ON the ballot is a joke...
Raines should be a no-brainer and Blyleven should be in by now. IMO Blyleven > Ryan

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
If I had a vote, I'd vote for:

Gossage
Morris
Mattingly

Some of the other guys came close, but weren't consitently at a Hall of Fame level throughout their careers. I don't think that McGwire would have been anywhere near a Hall of Fame player without steroids, so I look at him like Dave Kingman. He would've hit 30 HRs every year, but he would've hit about .240-.250 and never would've gotten past Maris. If McGwire gets in before Maris, then there's a problem.

I also think that the steroids taint of guys like McGwire makes guys like Mattingly look much better. Add in being one of--if not THE--best fielders at his position ever, and I think it's a lock. I know that injuries shortened his career and took some of his prime seasons away, but that didn't stop people for voting for Sandy Koufax. Koufax is in the Hall based on exactly 6 seasons, which is what voters hold against Mattingly. He pitched 12 seasons for the Dodgers, and had a sub-.500 winning percentage after the first 6. He was average-to-mediocre for half of his career. Mattingly's only down years were due to injury, and he rebounded to put up solid numbers from 1992-1995. His 1993 season is very similar to his 1988 production and nobody questions his 1988 season when talking about his career being Hall-worthy.

If you look at first basemen from the '80s-'90s, who was better than Mattingly? McGwire? The steroids helped him put up numbers and his fielding was never very good. Hrbek? Nope. Clark? Not quite, but he was very good.

I think Morris deserves to be in because he was consitently one of the best pitchers in the AL during his career. He won 15 games or more 7 straight seasons, and it would've been 10 staright if it hadn't been for the strike in '81. He had 3 20-win seasons, won 3 World Series, was the World Series MVP in 1991 and pitched a 10-inning shutout in Game 7 to win the Series, and led all Major League pitchers in the '80s in wins, IP, starts, and CG. He didn't have the strikeouts that Blyleven had or the win total that John and Blyleven had, but healso didn't stick around for a s long as they did to get those wins and was more consistently good throughout his career than either of those guys were.

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
Raines should be a no-brainer and Blyleven should be in by now. IMO Blyleven > Ryan
Raines' problem is that he played when the focus of the game was changing from speed to power. Should he be in, yes. Is he a no-brainer, I don't think so.

I think that Blyleven should be in, the fact that he didn't win 300 games is what is hurting him. But, Fergie Jenkins and Robin Roberts are both in and neither did they. Blyleven has better numbers then either of them.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Keith Hernandez is one of the many reasons Mattingly isn't a hall of famer. Same position, same town for part of it, better hitter, better fielder, over a longer span of time.

fkornre

Boogity Boogity Boogity...Let's go racing boys...
Nov 4, 2006
monroe twp, nj
Harold Baines
Rod Beck *
Bert Blyleven
Andre Dawson
Rich "Goose" Gossage
Tommy John
David Justice *
Don Mattingly
Mark McGwire
Dale Murphy
Tim Raines *
Jim Rice

i cut it down to 12....hard to knock 2 off to vote for just 10...

Steam

May 18, 2003
Gossage
Raines

Push came to shove when filling out a ballot I'd put on Rice and Dawson too.

Can Rice finally drop off already? Good player, not a hall of famer. Though, Puckett getting in and Sutter before Gossage really fucked up the overall HOF criteria.
Rice is as borderline as I think it gets. He had a great run in the late 70s and then kind of just faded away. It wasn't as abrupt as the back injury that felled Mattingly though. Dawson is almost the same way. Unlike Rice though his park hurt instead of helped since it really fucked up his knees. If they got in, great, if not, oh well, such is life.

Puckett getting in as soon as he did was pretty appalling to me. Especially when you consider how long it took Sandberg to get in around the same timeframe. Fuck Kirby Puckett.

I agree about Sutter and Gossage. Gossage was THE guy at the position. Sure, he got more publicity than most because he played in New York but that just added to it. He was a closer back before most of them were giant pussies.

My list:

2. Bert Byleven- I went back and forth on him. 287 wins is good, but he also has 250 losses. Also has only played in only two All-Star games. However he played on some pretty bad teams and has 3, 701 strikeouts and a career 3.31 ERA. Ultimately those numbers are too good to keep him out of the HOF.

4. Alan Trammell and Dave Concepcion’- stood out for their fielding more than anything else.
I just can't get behind Blyeven. Did he have one dominant season or patch together a string of them? No. He was just Bert Blyleven. Fuck yeah, he threw a lot of Ks but he also threw a shit load of innings. He's Don Sutton and Phil Niekro without the 300 wins. Normally, I would use this to go off on a tangent on Rafael Palmeiro for something similar but I'll pass for now.

I agree about Trammell. He had a good career but misses out on the Hall. I never get tired of this story though, back in the mid-80s I was really obsessed with baseball. I'd read the box scores in the Daily News every day and watch as much as I could (basically consisting of all Yankee games and This Week in Baseball, at that time). Every year we'd go to a few games at the Stadium and I loved to fill out All-Star ballots. For the most part I'd grab a stack and make my decisions at each position and rarely stray from that. One of the only exceptions was shortstop where I split it equally between Ripken and Trammell. They were nearly interchangeable to me. I find it odd that over twenty years later we look back on them and Ripken is held in such high regard while Trammell was just some guy who played short next to Lou Whitaker.

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
It's true how somehow Ripken has completely overshadowed Trammell somehow.

Ripken DID hit a ton more HRs, but in 3000 more ABs. Ripken, to me, is the epitome of great but overrated. He couldn't hold a candle to Tony Gwynn, he just played in a lot of games in a row, yet he got more votes than him.

Steam

May 18, 2003
It's true how somehow Ripken has completely overshadowed Trammell somehow.

Ripken DID hit a ton more HRs, but in 3000 more ABs. Ripken, to me, is the epitome of great but overrated. He couldn't hold a candle to Tony Gwynn, he just played in a lot of games in a row, yet he got more votes than him.
I have always thought that Ripken was very overrated just due to that streak. He was pretty much just an above average version of the 80s power hitter.

He definitely deserves his spot in the Hall, mainly for what he contributed to the game and what he helped bring back after the strike. But, you are correct, Gwynn was a much better player.

badcellphoneguy

Kansas City...Kansas City here they come!
Jul 18, 2005
Wantagh, LI
Brady Anderson * Fuck no
Harold Baines No
Rod Beck *No
Bert Blyleven Yes
Dave Concepción No
Andre Dawson Yes
Shawon Dunston * No
Chuck Finley * No
Travis Fryman * Hell no
Rich "Goose" Gossage Yes
Tommy John Average pitcher at best...doesn't get in
David Justice * Him being a yankee will get him in
Chuck Knoblauch * No
Don Mattingly Yes
Mark McGwire Steriod contraversy will keep him out for a while
Jack Morris Average pitcher on some shitty Tigers teams
Dale Murphy Another case of the Phil Rizzuto's
Robb Nen * No
Dave Parker No
Tim Raines * No
Jim Rice Yes
José Rijo No
Lee Smith At one time lead the MLB in career saves..I vote yes
Todd Stottlemyre * Next
Alan Trammell No

Jul 26, 2005
David Justice * Him being a yankee will get him in
I hope your joking. He has a better chance of remarrying Halle Berry than he does of getting into the Hall of Fame. And that's not even considering the Mitchell Report.