2008 Defending WS Champ Boston Red Sox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Now that the tribute to Norton thread has been unstickied.... I think we can move on from the football season and look onward to baseball with only 2 days left till pitchers and catchers reporting.

With Schill being in the headlines already and the contract not being insured. It looks to be an interesting season as usual.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Sox sign Youk for 1 yr

Red Sox agreed to terms with first baseman Kevin Youkilis on a one-year, $3 million contract.
Youkilis was arbitration eligible for the first time and ends up settling just below the midpoint of his $3.7 million request and Boston's $2.525 million proposal. He's under the team's control through 2010, so the Red Sox may soon look to lock him up to a long-term deal.

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
getting started early huh

SurlyTruckDrivr

You've got a friend in WDTv2.0
Apr 28, 2005
Westport, Mass
Finally!!!! Hopefully I'll be heading to a few games down here. I have about 5 teams within driving distance. May make the drive to Ft Myers if I have a chance.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Asked Thursday about who will start for the Red Sox in center field, manager Terry Francona replied "I don't know" before adding that "we're not going to forget as an organization that [Coco Crisp] is the incumbent."
It's been assumed in many circles that Crisp would be traded to make room for Jacoby Ellsbury, but it's possible that the Red Sox could use the beginning of the season to showcase Crisp for a deal while delaying Ellsbury's service-time clock at Triple-A. Crisp, who has two years and an option left to go on his current deal, has indicated that he'd be unhappy in a reserve role.
Source: Boston Herald

That time of year again...

Steam

May 18, 2003
If Francona doesn't start Ellsbury I'm going to drive to Boston and bludgeon him myself. My fantasy team depends on it.

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY

Seriously? A team that wins 2 titles in a 4 year span is hardly a dynasty. They didnt even make the playoffs a year ago.

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Well our football team made history at 18-1 and now actually have something to play for next year (ummmm lets just GUARANTEE a superbowl victory NOW for the pats!!!) Our Celtics are the BEST in the nba

and who could forget the WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Can't wait for a great season of watching THE WORLD CHAMPIONS

Steam

May 18, 2003
Well our football team made history at 18-1 and now actually have something to play for next year (ummmm lets just GUARANTEE a superbowl victory NOW for the pats!!!) Our Celtics are the BEST in the nba

and who could forget the WORLD CHAMPION BOSTON RED SOX:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Can't wait for a great season of watching THE WORLD CHAMPIONS
You really didn't learn a damn thing, did you?

Don't worry though Fouch, when the Sox lose this year I'm sure you will have given plenty of worthy posts to quote and mock you on.

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
You really didn't learn a damn thing, did you?

Don't worry though Fouch, when the Sox lose this year I'm sure you will have given plenty of worthy posts to quote and mock you on.
like last years sox thread? This is Title town son

Steam

May 18, 2003
like last years sox thread? This is Title town son
Is it? The Sox win a few championships and you think they are just going to do it every year.

It won't last forever, the Yankees are developing the pitching to dominate the Sox for the foreseeable future. Other teams will pass them too.

And hey, you should probably cling to whatever hopes you have, we saw how the football season ended for ya. When baseball ends the same way, don't think we won't remember.

Steam

May 18, 2003
Forgot to mention that I enjoyed reading an article about Papelbon in the NY Daily News where he tried to lump himself into a category with Joba, implying that Joba is just like him and should be a reliever. Fuck no! Joba has more dominant pitches than him AND more stamina. Paps went back to closing because he couldn't handle the grueling schedule of starting. I'm not going to complain though since I got him on my fantasy team.

bloody hymen

My ass has been turned into a bloody fountain
Apr 23, 2006
Massena, NY
The Yankees won't win as long as there's a Steinbrenner in control

norton23

Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!
Forgot to mention that I enjoyed reading an article about Papelbon in the NY Daily News where he tried to lump himself into a category with Joba, implying that Joba is just like him and should be a reliever. Fuck no! Joba has more dominant pitches than him AND more stamina. Paps went back to closing because he couldn't handle the grueling schedule of starting. I'm not going to complain though since I got him on my fantasy team.

I think paps was and is going to lobby himself to become a starter with Schilling gone,,,,I really don't know enough to say if that type of thing would work though,,,,,it does take a different kind of person to be a closer (an insane lunatic who can run onto the field like he just shot coke and be an animal for a few innings), while the starters need to be more reserved and focused......Joba is nasty as is paps but they are different players.....I would love to see Paps turn into a starter I think he's got it in him.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Lets not forget Paps doesnt fall apart in the playoffs and Joba did (lets hear the excuses about the bugs, remember Cleveland didnt have a problem with them).

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
Is it? The Sox win a few championships and you think they are just going to do it every year.

It won't last forever, the Yankees are developing the pitching to dominate the Sox for the foreseeable future. Other teams will pass them too.

And hey, you should probably cling to whatever hopes you have, we saw how the football season ended for ya. When baseball ends the same way, don't think we won't remember.
Until Stieny gets pissed with the Sox and trades them all away. Sound familiar?

Steam

May 18, 2003
I think paps was and is going to lobby himself to become a starter with Schilling gone,,,,I really don't know enough to say if that type of thing would work though,,,,,it does take a different kind of person to be a closer (an insane lunatic who can run onto the field like he just shot coke and be an animal for a few innings), while the starters need to be more reserved and focused......Joba is nasty as is paps but they are different players.....I would love to see Paps turn into a starter I think he's got it in him.
Papelbon isn't going to do shit. He's the same guy who couldn't sleep last year because he didn't want to start. I like your definition of what type of a person a closer needs to be (I'm hoping its not the only definition you have for it) since its the exact opposite of the stoicism that the greatest closer in baseball history, Mariano Rivera, displays.

Lets not forget Paps doesnt fall apart in the playoffs and Joba did (lets hear the excuses about the bugs, remember Cleveland didnt have a problem with them).
Hmm, considering that Joba was downright filthy the inning before, I would think that the bugs played a role in it. But hey, if that is what you are going to lean on to try and find a flaw in Joba, then by all means. Papelbon is an amazing closer, don't get me wrong. I think he's probably the best in baseball at this point but I just don't think its fair to Joba to lump him in there with him in terms of role. Joba has a more advance repertoire than Papelbon and also displayed pretty good stamina last year in his sole year of professional ball.

Until Stieny gets pissed with the Sox and trades them all away. Sound familiar?
Actually, it doesn't. They haven't really parted with much of anything in the way of prospects during the last run. In fact, them holding onto guys like Pettitte and Williams and Posada and Jeter and Mariano is what led them to the dynasty. Sure they got rid of guys like Drabek in the 80s but nothing much since then. Some serviceable major league guys like Pena but nothing really substantial.

I get worried that Hank will fuck it up but as long as Cashman and Oppenheimer are there I'm not going to run around like a little bitch. Plus, once Hughes and Joba start their domination this year there will be little need to trade them for something better, they will be the something better.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
I just hope Red Sox fans are ready for lethargic team, the first couple weeks of the season. Those two games in Japan can have a negative effect. Just look at the 2004 Yankees and Devil Rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.