2008 Stanley Cup Champions - Detroit Red Wings Thread

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Everyone else gets their own damn thread, so the Winged Wheel sure as hell will too.

It's going to be another great season I'm sure. Datsyuk gets an "A" this year, Aaron Downey, Matt Ellis, and Derek Meech all get spots too. The season opens against Anaheim this Wednesday at the Joe, let's hope it starts off right.

Here's the schedule for Rocktober -
Oct. 3 Anaheim 7:00
Oct. 6 at Chicago 8:30
Oct. 8 Edmonton 7:30
Oct. 10 Calgary 7:30
Oct. 12 Chicago 7:30
Oct. 14 at Los Angeles 8:00
Oct. 15 at Anaheim 10:00
Oct. 18 at San Jose 10:30
Oct. 20 at Phoenix 10:00
Oct. 24 Vancouver 7:30
Oct. 26 San Jose 7:30
Oct. 28 at Vancouver 10:00
Oct. 30 at Edmonton 9:00

I'm really excited about this season, as I am about every one. We've got the best defenseman in the NHL, 2 superstars up front in Datsyuk and Zetterberg, and a bunch of solid youngsters in guys like Filppula and Hudler. I think Hank will push 40 goals this year, and hopefully Pavs will put up close to 100 points.

I'll leave this first post off with a nice cheesy line -

For God so loved the Wings, he made us all bleed red.

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
I'm excited too. I think they have a good blend of vets and young guys. If The Dominator tends the pipes as he has, it could be a fun year.

We should have a 'Pest Night' at The Joe.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
C'mon people, get this thread rolling tonight. 1-0 Wings after one. Zetterberg from Datsyuk and Lidstrom, Pronger's being a faggot as usual, and the announcers won't stop sucking Anaheim's collective dick.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Dammit people! Exciting game tonight. More dirty stuff from Pronger in the 3rd, including a blatant hit from behind on Filppula that was let go. I fucking hate shootouts, but the Wings pulled this one out.

Also, Cory Perry became one of my least favorite players tonight, with the bullshit he pulled in the fight with Drake. If you wear a visor, and have time to take it off before a fight and don't, you're a bitch, plain and simple. Even more bitch was that he waited until Drake started to take his helmet off to throw a punch. Perry is a fucking pussy.

I know other people watched this game. Humor me and let's discuss the best team in the league, our very own Red Wings.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
Here's the schedule for Erocktober -
Oct. 3 Anaheim 7:00
Oct. 6 at Chicago 8:30
Oct. 8 Edmonton 7:30
Oct. 10 Calgary 7:30
Oct. 12 Chicago 7:30
Oct. 14 at Los Angeles 8:00
Oct. 15 at Anaheim 10:00
Oct. 18 at San Jose 10:30
Oct. 20 at Phoenix 10:00
Oct. 24 Vancouver 7:30
Oct. 26 San Jose 7:30
Oct. 28 at Vancouver 10:00
Oct. 30 at Edmonton 9:00
fixed :action-sm

i've only recently become interested in hockey, i've never really watched until last season. i went to see a quarterfinal game in Detroit...i'll be watching this season, i still have a little bit of learning to do

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Disappointing loss tonight, but I don't mind seeing Patrick Kane be the hero for the game I guess. Great game by Zetterberg especially, although that's no surprise.

krisko said:
i've only recently become interested in hockey, i've never really watched until last season. i went to see a quarterfinal game in Detroit...i'll be watching this season, i still have a little bit of learning to do
Goooooood, more hockey fans is always a good thing. If things like this don't make people like hockey, they have a problem. This video gives me chills everytime I watch it, which is probably more often than I should.

[yt]5yXCjBO-2A4[/yt]

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Cheli is the fuckin' man. After 45 years he obviously hasn't forgotten the importance of following your shots. Hank continues to tear it up, he's at 6 assists now.

George Costanza

All Hail the Dragonslayer.
Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
Hank is off to a nice start, Datsyuk's trying to be too fancy though. Hoping Kronwall has a breakout season without injuries. Rafalski is also a much better defenseman than Schneider, Wings Defense looks to be they're strong point this year.

And Punt

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Hank is off to a nice start, Datsyuk's trying to be too fancy though. Hoping Kronwall has a breakout season without injuries. Rafalski is also a much better defenseman than Schneider, Wings Defense looks to be they're strong point this year.

And Punt

No surprise there..

He's actually been improving his shot-taking decisions a little bit though. This is the one bad thing about him playing with Brett Hull, the whole pass-first mentality seems ingrained in him now.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Wings were great tonight, except for a really stupid lapse by Kronwall for the Flames' second goal. ZDH was fucking outstanding, hope Babs keeps them together for a while. Bring on Chicago, let's get some revenge for Saturday.

George Costanza

Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
How about the two losses at Chicago. Both had alot to do with Lang recording his only points of the season in both games. He wasn't happy here. If he doesn't lapse into his usual laziness we may lose more games than expected over the year versus them.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I was a big Robert Lang fan when he was here, so I was as not mad as I could be about his 2 huge goals. I was at my own game Friday night though, so I only caught bits and pieces of the game. If ZDH sticks together I think the Kings won't be a problem tonight.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
And ZDH comes up big yet again. 8 points for that line tonight. Datsyuk gets his first goal of the young season, and Hank's 3 points put him atop the NHL in points with 12.

Tomorrow night they're up against a struggling Ducks team, hope the Wings keep rolling.

George Costanza

Aug 10, 2007
Lake Orion Michigan
Yeah Hank's tearing it up, if not for the injury last year who knows what he would of put up. The ZDH line has great chemistry, Drapers also doing great. I just wish we would have kept either Bertuzzi or Lang to add some veteran depth. Hopefully Wings light up Ducks tonight.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I had hockey practice tonight, so I didn't catch any of the game. Even in the loss it's nice to see that Hank, Pavs, and Draper are all still rolling.

The Wings have given up 3 shorties in 7 games though, that's mildly disconcerting.

Mar 28, 2007
Planet Houston
Even in the loss it's nice to see that Hank, Pavs, and Draper are all still rolling.

The Wings have given up 3 shorties in 7 games though, that's mildly disconcerting.
yeah they are totally rolling...and i WISH we hadn't let Lang, Bertuzzi or Schneider go....we do need some veteran presence....

and the 3 shorthanded goals in 7 games is something that is bothering me....

overall...GO WINGS :clap:

hopefully we can beat the sharks on thursday

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
Hank himself said he's confident with the depth the team has. You're right, it's not veteran depth, but our young guys are definitely capable of stepping up. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wings pick up another forward at some point during the season (Fedorov, anyone?), but we'll see. The only one I really wish hadn't left is Schneider, the D isn't quite up to par this season yet.

Lidstrom-Schneider
Chelios-Rafalski

would have been a hell of a top 4.

Of the 3 SHG, 1 of those was an EN goal, so it's not that big a deal I suppose, but still.