2008 World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkdmb

Jan 12, 2005
Lefty Romero is re-signed in effort to solidify Phillies bullpen
By Dennis Deitch, dendeitch@aol.com
In 2007, J.C. Romero went from an expendable luxury by the Boston Red Sox, to so invaluable for the Phillies that Charlie Manuel found it tough to keep the southpaw off the mound in August and September.

The reward for taking the ball on consecutive days an astounding 28 times during his 51-game stint with the Phils and performing like the lionhearted lefty the team has needed for years came Saturday night when Romero signed a three-year, $12 million contract that brings structure to the bullpen half of the pitching staff. The contract includes a 2011 team option for $4.75 million.

The Phillies rewarded Romero, 31, with a generous payday, one that he earned by allowing just five earned runs in 361/3 innings after general manager Pat Gillick signed him when the Red Sox designated the former Twin for assignment in early June. Upon joining the Phils June 29, he immediately pitched three consecutive days. That set a precedent, as Romero became a relentless workhorse. He pitched in 20 of 27 games in September, and 37 of 56 over the final two months. He also happened to pitch extremely well, allowing just 15 hits and stranding 20 of the 26 runners he inherited along the way. He had a 1.24 ERA with the Phillies and didn’t allow a home run to the last 126 batters he faced in the regular season.

“J.C. had an outstanding three months for us, particularly down the stretch,” assistant G.M. Ruben Amaro Jr. said. “He was an integral part of our winning the N.L. East and we’re very happy we could get him signed before he hit the open market.”

Advertisement
The Phillies and Romero had mutual gratitude working in the extension’s favor. The team got a gutty, dependable performer in an area of desperate need, while Romero found an employer who showed faith in him and realized that his tendency to walk some hitters (he averaged 6.2 BB per nine IP with the Phils) was due to Romero’s bullheaded determination to force hitters to swing at pitches in his comfort zone — an approach that left opponents hitting an anemic .130 against him.

“I’m glad I didn’t have to go out and test the free agent market,” Romero said. “I had a great time with the Phillies and really wanted to come back. I’m excited and looking forward to next season and hopefully we come out and defend our title the way I know we can. The nucleus has remained the same and we added the right pieces. We need to go out and do what everyone expects us to do, which is win a World Series.”

Romero will join Brad Lidge, Tom Gordon and Ryan Madson as the key components of the bullpen, a quartet that, if healthy, should have enough talent to give the Phils a playoff-caliber back end of the bullpen. After spending the first four months of the season shuttling between Triple-A and the Phillies, Clay Condrey should have an inside track for a position as a long reliever in 2008. That leaves one or two openings in the bullpen.

Scott Mathieson, Joe Bisenius and Mike Zagurski are the in-house candidates, and the Phils likely will sign a few low-budget veterans to compete for work.

So Far So Good, Lidge and Romero, just would like to see a decent 3rd baseman and a guy to replace Eaton. Don't think bringing Rowand back for anything more than a 1 year deal would be smart. God I wish we still had Polanco sticking around to play third instead of shitty guys like Bell, Helms and Nunez

Aizazzle

I always have a plan
Jul 27, 2006
Philly
The title of the thread Defending National League East Champ Philadelphia Phillies Thread makes me feel all giddy insde.

It's a good beginnig to the 2008 season even if Romero got slightly over paid.

Now we just need to get some starting pitching and make sure Utley and Howard don't choke in the playoffs. We are all set to make a World Series run.

Yes gentlemen I said World Series.

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
but it has to start with the signing of rowand or we can kiss the division good bye
I don't know about that ...

I'd be ok with burrell, victorino, werth in the OF. As long as they have upgraded 3B with a quality Bat to replace the power they'd lose in not resigning him.

If you don't think that you can upgrade 3B then I think that you have to try and resign rowand.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
what bat are they going to get at third? i dont see it happening.

if you have an outfield that consists of victorino, werth and burrell, what happens when one of them gets injured or has the kind of slumps burrell is known for? rowand has proven himself and was a huge part of the reason they were in contention last year. he picked up howard and burrell for the first half of the year. now if they picked up a reliable backup outfielder who if he had to could play everyday then i would agree with you.

Aug 27, 2002
Bensalem, PA via Souf Philly
Here is what I was actually thinking.

The 2 best bats available at 3B are Lowell and ARod. If you sign ARod, your pretty much not signing anyone else. I think that you can get Lowell and someone like Corey Patterson who can start for you. I think that you can get them both for around $16M - $17M, which I like it better than spending $15M on Rowand and rolling the dice with Greg Dobbs or Helms for another season.

Patterson doesn't have the power that Rowand has, but he is younger, faster, and cheaper. He would allow you to leave victorino in right with Werth as your 4th OF.

If you do that the Lineup would look like this

Rollins
Victorino
Utley
Howard
Lowell
Patterson
Burrell
Ruiz
P

With a bench of

Coste
Werth
Roberson
Iguchi
Dobbs

Patterson hitting 6th a would act as a 2nd leadoff hitter for the bottom of the order for Burrell and Ruiz.

I would take a lineup like that in a heartbeat.

blinkdmb

Jan 12, 2005
Here is what I was actually thinking.

The 2 best bats available at 3B are Lowell and ARod. If you sign ARod, your pretty much not signing anyone else. I think that you can get Lowell and someone like Corey Patterson who can start for you. I think that you can get them both for around $16M - $17M, which I like it better than spending $15M on Rowand and rolling the dice with Greg Dobbs or Helms for another season.

Patterson doesn't have the power that Rowand has, but he is younger, faster, and cheaper. He would allow you to leave victorino in right with Werth as your 4th OF.

If you do that the Lineup would look like this

Rollins
Victorino
Utley
Howard
Lowell
Patterson
Burrell
Ruiz
P

With a bench of

Coste
Werth
Roberson
Iguchi
Dobbs

Patterson hitting 6th a would act as a 2nd leadoff hitter for the bottom of the order for Burrell and Ruiz.

I would take a lineup like that in a heartbeat.
I would love this lineup too but here comes reality to kick you in the balls. The Phillies are not looking for any position other then pitching. They are happy with the outfield of Burrell/Victoreno/Werth. They will be getting a 4th out fielder but expect them to only be that a 4th outfielder, they won't be going after Patterson or anyone nearly as good as Patterson. The Phillies also will not sign Mike Lowell, I am affraid they have made it perfectly clear that they are only getting pitching. On third you will have Greg Dobbs sharing time with Wes Helms and playing the role of Nunez you will have that guy they got in the Lidge trade.

I must say though I am confused about why we are looking for pitching still. This will be our Starting Rotation: Hammels,Myers,Moyer,Kendrik,Eaton. Our bullpen looks sured up as far as the back end goes, your closer is lidge, set up madson/gorden. as far as middle relief goes we can just mop up some vetrens and throw them at the wall and see who sticks in spring training. I don't see what good going out and getting a new starter would do because while Eaton sucks a dick we are stuck with him for 2 years and won't get rid of him. He has shown he eats asshole in the bullpen so we are stuck with him. Basically the philosophy of him is hope the offense can keep us in the games he pitches. Moyer hasn't shown his age yet and looks to be a solid number 3/4 starter. Kendrik has shown his ability to pitch in big games. A 6th starter would be useless unless the phillies can work out a trade that will bring them a big third basemen using Kendrik as bait. No one will take Eaton off our hands even if we paid his contract in full.

Wilmington WOW

The Emmitt Till of Wackbag
Oct 4, 2004
Wilmington, DE
need someone better at third

NL MVP in a couple days
go J-Rol

although I think Holliday is gonna get it
I would take a shared award

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
ok after reading the posts i will say the phils have zero chance of getting lowell. he will resign with the redsox. those that think the phils arent going to resign rowand will be very disappointed if they dont. we need a player like him on the team and in the outfield period.

as far as pitching goes they should be pretty set with the starting rotation. in the pen they will have lidge, madson and god help me gordon. you forgot to mention mathieson who will be back from his arm injury that kept him out of last season. he wasnt bad at all when they brought him up. romero also did a nice job for the phils last year.

iguchi wont be back either and that leaves a fielding problem at third. no nunez puts the phils at a big disadvantage in the infield defensively. gillick will have a tough time on his hands as he said 2008 would be their year. dont let us down.

hybriddriver

she is ice cream
Feb 20, 2006
PA
you forgot to mention mathieson who will be back from his arm injury that kept him out of last season. he wasnt bad at all when they brought him up.
I think Mathieson had an ERA around 7. He wasn't exactly "not bad".

CSN is showing the 8/30 SWEEP game right now (Sunday night).

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I think Mathieson had an ERA around 7. He wasn't exactly "not bad".

CSN is showing the 8/30 SWEEP game right now (Sunday night).
considering he went from aa to the majors without pitching much in aa that season he wasnt bad. i would think you could cut some slack to a kid that was thrown to the wolves. i could see him burn some innings in the pen, its not like our bullpen lit up the league last season. would you rather have him or geary throw in the pen? i know he is not with the team anymore but the point anything is better than some of what they had last season. and yes i didnt think he was that bad, era's can be misleading unless you talk about eatons:)

hybriddriver

she is ice cream
Feb 20, 2006
PA
I wish him the best of luck, but I wouldn't count on him. Call a spade a spade. What makes you think that he's going to be any better after a year off?

blinkdmb

Jan 12, 2005
Phillies have been very quiet latly and that scares me, no news except possible interest in bringing Randy Wolf back, that would be kind of cool but I think it may be too much of a liability with injuries, the only way I would really do it is a very low base with lots of incentive possibillities.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
i have also read that they are considering bringing back scott rolen. he wants out of st louis and the phils desparately need a third baseman.

i dont want him back. sure we could use his fielding ability but he is another guy who strikes out alot plus how he left still bothers me.

blinkdmb

Jan 12, 2005
i have also read that they are considering bringing back scott rolen. he wants out of st louis and the phils desparately need a third baseman.

I also heard we are bringing JD Drew on to play right field, and also we will bring back allen iverson, T.O and Charles barkley.....get the sarcasm.....

Scott Rolen has a FULL no trade clause and has made it clear in the past he wants no part of this city or team.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.

I also heard we are bringing JD Drew on to play right field, and also we will bring back allen iverson, T.O and Charles barkley.....get the sarcasm.....

Scott Rolen has a FULL no trade clause and has made it clear in the past he wants no part of this city or team.

yeah and yanks said they didnt want arod back, so whats your point? i guess people in sports never change their minds..... :action-sm

now the question is what free agent pitcher will the phils roll the dice on

blinkdmb

Jan 12, 2005
12/01/2007 10:26 PM ET
Padres agree on deal with Wolf
Club offers arbitration to Cameron and Barrett, but not Bradley
By Corey Brock / MLB.com

Randy Wolf went 9-6 with a 4.73 ERA in 18 starts with the Dodgers before undergoing surgery in August. (AP)
Padres Headlines

• Padres offer arbitration to two
• Padres agree on deal with Wolf
• Towers talks Padres' arbitration plans
• Agent: Cameron wants multiyear pact
• Friars cautious entering Meetings
• More Padres Headlines
MLB Headlines

• Report: Ellsbury offered for Santana
• Astros sign Matsui to three-year contract
• Cubs to aggressively search for right fielder
• Phillies offer Rowand arbitration
• Padres agree on deal with Wolf
• More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page
• Wolf's career stats
• Complete Hot Stove coverage
• Coverage of the Winter Meetings

SAN DIEGO -- The Padres figure to be plenty busy at the Winter Meetings in Nashville, Tenn., which start on Monday, but that doesn't mean they're waiting until they get there to address their needs.
The Padres have agreed to terms with left-handed free agent pitcher Randy Wolf on a one-year deal, pending the passing of a physical, a baseball source said Saturday. The deal is worth $4 million with an incentive package that could make the deal worth as $9 million.

The 31-year-old Wolf spent last season with the Dodgers but didn't pitch after July 3 and underwent shoulder surgery in August. He was 9-6 with a 4.73 ERA in 18 starts with the Dodgers, who declined his $9 million option for 2008 last month.

Wolf is 78-66 with a 4.25 ERA since breaking into the Major Leagues with the Phillies in 1999. He signed a one-year contract worth $8 million with the Dodgers last season that included the '08 club option.

Signing with the Dodgers was a homecoming of sorts for Wolf, who grew up in suburban West Hills and pitched for Pepperdine University. He was an All-Star with the Phillies in 2003, the same season in which he won a career-best 16 games.

San Diego general manager Kevin Towers has said that he prefers some of the pitchers who are coming off surgery -- such as Wolf, Matt Clement and Bartolo Colon -- to the healthy ones on the free-agent market.

This is a real shame I really wanted to see the Wolf Pack come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.