2011-12 NHL Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
I think we're done with the offseason.

Predictions for final standings, playoffs, etc?

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Can anyone confirm all that stuff about Avery being interested in women's fashion. This is the first I've heard of it but they were throwing it out like it was common knowledge on O&A today.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Even Opie knows more about hockey than you do. :haha7::haha7::haha7::haha7:

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
Can anyone confirm all that stuff about Avery being interested in women's fashion. This is the first I've heard of it but they were throwing it out like it was common knowledge on O&A today.
if your trolling u suck at it!

anyway here u go

[yt]3ttw9Gyd9oc[/yt]

Danesy

Cute but psycho, it all evens out.
Jun 5, 2006
Satellite of Love
It is common knowledge. He's talked about it extensively. I've always thought him with Cuthbert was a beard anyway. I'm sure he gets called that a lot, considering a lot of people in the league either know or think he's gay.

mills

Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Sorry I just missed that story lol. The last I remember from Avery, they made a rule for him, then he was a tool, then he was a tool again, then he was a tool again, then he was a tool again, and again, and again, and ag..

This season I heard the camp he's been having put him in danger of not making the team.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Pretty cool story about Kabanov

Kirill Kabanov accepts your Facebook invitation to play pick-up hockey

Joe Yerdon

Sep 28, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
5 Comments
Kirill Kabanov Getty Images

New York Islanders prospect Kirill Kabanov is a player who has come with a lot of controversy since being drafted by the team in 2010. With a bit of a bad reputation but a world of talent, he was viewed as a player whose reputation and attitude could make him more of a headache for an organization than a helper.

Funny thing about Kabanov, however, is that it turns out he’s a pretty great kid as some Islanders fans got to find out last month courtesy of the most popular method of communication between people these days: Facebook.

New York Times Slap Shot’s Chris Botta tells the story about how Isles fan Shawn Shea asked his Facebook “friend” Kabanov to come on out to play some pick-up hockey with his friends in Massapequa and Kabanov, on a lark, took him up on it to create one hell of a story. It also goes to show that sometimes stories about a bad reputation can be changed by doing one extremely cool thing.

“One of the young players who showed up brought an extra pair of skates and Kirill put them on,” Shea said. “Supposedly it was his first time on rollerblades. His skill was amazing. He spent the whole night setting his teammates up. He got there at 8 and stayed until 10:30, when the people at the park told us it was long past time to shut out the lights.”

D’Andrea, the goalie, said: “I’ll really remember two generous things he did. Kirill passed up every chance to take a slap shot on me, possibly saving me a trip to the hospital. And when the game ended, he skated over to his goaltender, said she was the M.V.P. and gave her his hockey stick.”

The goalie was Elyssa Kaplan, a teenage Islanders fan from Dix Hills who read about the game of shinny on Facebook and asked her father for a ride to Massapequa.

“What a thrill it was for Elyssa,” Shea said. “What a night it was for all of us.”

What an incredible story to have and what a great, and very random thing to do this was for Kabanov. This story evokes the images of seeing Willie Mays playing stickball in the streets of Harlem with neighborhood kids back in the 1950s. Instead of stickball in the streets, it’s just a fun game of pick-up hockey on rollerblades.

Kabanov has a world of talent and while his reputation is a bit checkered, a story like this instantly makes him the kind of guy you want to root for to make it to the NHL. Seeing any pro athletes doing something like this is rare and to do so thank to a social media platform makes it even more impressive.

While many players won’t have anything to do with Facebook or Twitter to interact with fans, full marks for Kabanov for not just using it to keep in touch with fans but to interact with them in a very real and incredible way.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Pretty cool story about Kabanov
Even with his bad rep, Kirill really opened some eyes when he was a major team/fan friendly guy last season. He was often hanging out long after games and chatting with the fans even when he was out injured. Hopefully means hes maturing and is going to be the guy that the Isles took a chance on when they drafted him.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
He's made HUGE strides off the ice. His dad is way in Russia and no longer is influencing this kid. He's got a clear head and he's got all of the tools to become a top line winger. He's just got to put the pieces together, and he needs a big year in junior this season. I have a feeling we're going to be really happy with his progress on the ice this year.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
So it looks like I am gonna be up here in montreal again the week of Nov 13. Do I grab tix for the Sabres or Canes? They both play up here that week. I'm leaning toward Sabres. Haven't seen them play live since they eliminated the Flyers in game 6 (ot goal by grosek) back in 98

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I think we're done with the offseason.

Predictions for final standings, playoffs, etc?
- Boston Bruins make the 2012 Stanley Cup Playoffs at or near the first seed. They go to the Eastern Conference Finals at the very least.

- Philadelphia Flyers win the 2012 Winter Classic (I hope).

- New York Islanders finish the season at the bottom of the standings.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Isles looked good at the end of last year even though they got overshadowed by the Devils and now they have Nabakov. I think the will be hanging in there this year.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I'm just going by previous seasons. By the way, did you see their preseason game against the Flames? They had no power play. Their PK was good, though.
Did you also see who the Isles dressed for that game? Only one player (Comeau) from their projected top 3 scoring lines. And 2 d-men from their projected top 6 (Staios and Jurcina). They didn't dress any of their power play guys and only two of their PK guys. No Tavares, Grabner, Okposo, Moulson, Streit, Rolston, PAPShmear, Hamonic, MacDonald or Bailey...believe me, I was expecting them to get blown out. But the Flames sucked and Nabokov was pretty solid.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I had some predictions last year...yikes.

Begbie said:
Vancouver over Washington

Hart: Ovechkin
Norris: Lidstrom
Vezina: Luongo
Art Ross: H. Sedin
Calder: Seguin, with runner up going to Kadri.
Most Improved Team: Oilers
Well, on the bright side, I had Vancouver and Boston in the final Four. And I had the Isles improved, but coming up short. Had Lidstrom right for Norris, and had the wrong Sedin brother winning the Art Ross. Had the Rangers sucking and the Devils making the playoffs.

This year is kinda tough to predict...I almost think Boston is fully capable of repeating. Vancouver will get bounced in Round 2. And a new team will rise in the West...LA Kings. It'll be a Boston-LA Stanley Cup Final. With the Isles getting better...I think we could see at least 4 of 5 Atlantic Division teams in the playoffs. No offense to Solus and the other Devs fans...I'm kinda worried about the Devils again. And Washington/Ovechkin will be greatly improved.

So basically...

1 Boston - Another big year for the Bruins.
2 Washington - Ovechkin rebounds and Caps actually have a good year.
3 Pittsburgh - Pens get a healthy Malkin and eventually get a huge boost from a healthy Sid. Cooke beheads a player...but the Shanahan realizes he's a good family guy and get off with a warning. :icon_cool
4 Buffalo - They made some great moves that will pay off.
5 NY Rangers - I think they'll do fine with Richards and Gabby. Big season from Lundqvist.
6 Philadelphia - Slipped up a bit with some pretty big changes. There's a chance the Flyers actually fuck things up this year, but I'll say they make it.
7 NY Islanders - Nabokov takes over as #1 and the Isles avoid the 20-game slide they had last season. That's good enough to get them in this year. Tavares nearing 80 points...Grabner reaches 40 goals.
8 Tampa Bay - Roloson getting older, but can still get the Lightning in.
9 Montreal - Just misses by a mere 2 points.
10 Carolina - Just misses by a mere 3 points.
11 NJ Devils - They're going to struggle...and this time, Lemaire won't be back. They'll actually start off 5-10 games above .500 for the first half, but it's going to fall apart on Deboer.
12 Ottawa - Still got alot of work.
13 Toronto - Nope
14 Florida - Made some big changes...but back to the drawing board.
15 Winnipeg - Winnipeg will be pleased to have the 1st overall pick next season.

1 Vancouver - Another big year...but they won't even make it to the Conf finals this year.
2 San Jose - And another big year for San Jose...but they'll get as far as the Conf finals.
3 Chicago - They'll just edge out Detroit for the Division lead.
4 LA Kings - Doughty signs and puts in a big year. The changes they made will make them dangerous.
5 Detroit - Will struggle, but they'll stay on top.
6 Anaheim - Another team that will have some problems during the year...but Ryan will be a beast next year.
7 St. Louis - Young team, but they got a good mix of vets that will make them good.
8 Colorado - Varlamov will help get them squeaked in.
9 Nashville - 4 points out.
10 Dallas - Alot of distractions...they might even be worse than 10.
11 Columbus - They won't make it adding Carter and Wiz.
12 Minnesota - Made some big changes, but I don't think they'll pay off.
13 Edmonton - Young team will look better...still very raw.
14 Calgary - Gonna be a bad year in Calgary.
15 Phoenix - Phoenix is a team, IMO, that will be surprisingly good or really piss poor. I think things will fall apart.

I just realized my top 8 Western predictions are almost identical to THN's. So I guess I know I'm wrong.

I do think this is the year the Isles make the playoffs though. As long as they stay healthy....I just question whether they can beat Washington in the first round.

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
damn winchester got ko'd in the sharks game and the dude knew he was fucked and stopped punching

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Drew Doughty and the Kings finally reach an agreement. 8 years, $56 million. Only Shea Weber and Brian Campbell have a higher cap hit among defensemen. Hard to believe he's only 21.

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
Shanahan drops the hammer once again...5 games

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377100

[YT]3P2wTEidNEE[/YT]

damn winchester got ko'd in the sharks game and the dude knew he was fucked and stopped punching
It didn't look like that big of a punch, but it obviously hit the button. I give Volpatti credit for not turning him into a veggie salad when he could have.
Tsss...Winchester should only fight guys of his own caliber.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
OMG Matt Cooke may have ended Ray Emery's career.

Status
Not open for further replies.