2012 lawnmower advice

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
Dec 8, 2004
Maine
First tip go down to a local Lawn and Garden dealer rather then a big box store... as I tend to be hard on things and homeowner quality stuff breaks waaaay to easy.

Most recent purchase... as I have to plant 1000 trees this year and put in about 30 posts for a pasture...

http://www.stihlusa.com/augersdrills/BT121.html

I got 20% off as it was a salesman sample that was only used to drill 8 holes for his deck. Bought a case of Stihl synthetic 2 stroke oil and doubled the warranty.

Gonna go finance a Exmark zero turn in the spring as my 5 year old Husqvarna riding mower has about 1700 hours on it now.

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
the local shop here the mowers are freaking expensive!!! being laid off i gotta afford what we can!

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Oh and some of these dealers sell used equipment... like last year they wanted to sell me a 15k commercial zero turn for like 5k... only about 2 years old and had 400 hours on it. But it was too wide to fit between my trees.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Go to a real Toro dealer and get a Super Recycler. Finest mower I have ever owned.

Haeder

South Dakota
Mar 30, 2005
Might as well start buying used lawn mowers if you're gonna get one from a big box store.

Risk of getting a lemon is about the same.

Honda engines for extended life goodness.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Honda engines for extended life goodness.
x2

My Husqvarna generator has one... oh and the neighbor's son brought over a commercial leaf blower... basically a Honda engine attached to a turbine with a directional nozzle... did their property and ours in like an hour.

Looked like this...

Dec 9, 2004
Baton Rouge
my front yard and back yard are each about 80 x 100.

in south Louisiana my yard cutting season is every week and a half or so between the last week of february and mid november.

I've had this one for the last 4 years since I got my new house:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/MTD-Yard-...Discharge-Push-Gas-Lawn-Mower-Not-CA/13373910

Yeah it's walmart, I like walmart, I can't afford snapper anyway. I change my air filter 1 year and this year I put a new blade in it. It's never let me down.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
Push mower? I don't use no stinking push mower.
Got this from Home Depot about 8 years ago.
Still kicking ass. Dual blades, 12 HP.

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
reviews on that mower suck...and i own a fre crapsman power and yard tools and regret it. the leaf blower sucks. etc.

looking to poss spend under $350.00

How big is your yard?
ill post up a vid of my yard. dont really have exact sq ft

@stevethrower...i looked at a local snapper dealer......holy fuck $700 for a push mower (yes i picked a random model with a yardvac option)

Digital_Trauma

"man of leisure". . . aaaand repeat
May 2, 2005
Lexington, KY
x2

My Husqvarna generator has one... oh and the neighbor's son brought over a commercial leaf blower... basically a Honda engine attached to a turbine with a directional nozzle... did their property and ours in like an hour.

Looked like this...

That's great as long as Juan Pablo Montoya doesn't live nearby...

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
whats everyones opinion on honda mowers?
Beaner approved. Used self-propelled hondas for residential mowing contracts in middle of summer in new mexico desert and those fuckers took a beating. Issues? Plug in a new spark plug and keep on rolling. Plugs tend to get dirty when you're creating a dust storm.

Mowers = honda
Weed eaters = husqvarna

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
whats everyones opinion on honda mowers?
I looked hard at Toro and Honda.

Ideally, I think the best would be a Toro with a Honda mower, like this one:

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner.../Pages/Model.aspx?pid=20382-PersonalPaceHonda

They didn't make this model when I bought mine. I have a Briggs engine but the thing starts every time no problem. Has the 5-year warranty, so I am not worried. The dealer called it the All-American model because both the engine and the rest of the mower are made in USA.

I know you want to spend under $350. So did I... But I decided to pony up the cash for peace of mind. Local dealer gave me a good price, a bit below MSRP.

Look around for a deal on a demo or a floor model.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
Beaner approved. Used self-propelled hondas for residential mowing contracts in middle of summer in new mexico desert and those fuckers took a beating. Issues? Plug in a new spark plug and keep on rolling. Plugs tend to get dirty when you're creating a dust storm.

Mowers = honda
Weed eaters = Stihl
FYP...

Have one of these...

With...

And...

And...

And...

Friggin thing goes through anything...

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
reviews on that mower suck...and i own a fre crapsman power and yard tools and regret it. the leaf blower sucks. etc.

looking to poss spend under $350.00

ill post up a vid of my yard. dont really have exact sq ft

@stevethrower...i looked at a local snapper dealer......holy fuck $700 for a push mower (yes i picked a random model with a yardvac option)
Then go used... like I mentioned unless you a have a postage stamp for a lawn... go for a better quality ergo more expensive/better made mower... like a Toro/Snapper etc... and stay away from the big box store shit.

Like my chick bought a "John Deere" weed wacker and HD similar to what I have now... the button thing on the shaft (heh) broke... and John Deere/HD or my local Lawn and Garden place couldn't fix it... as basically it was a consumer tool... meaning once it broke toss it.

My Stihl starts on the second pull (first pull prime etc)... and goes through anything... oh and since I bought the head unit and a few attachments he gave me a rack that holds them all for free.