2012 MLB Off Season Thread

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Mets and Jason Bay are parting way. Bay is owed 21 million dollars from the Mets. It looks like a bunch of that money will be paid in deffrrals.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Pirates picked up Pedro Alvarez's option and declined Barajas's (thank Christ) and hired Jay Bell as the new hitting coach (yay nostalgia!). Oh, and the whole front office will be returning but the SEAL training bullshit is being stopped.

Only 144 days until til Opening Day! Christ, I miss hockey.

AlanSmithee

Oct 11, 2012
This is a huge problem with baseball. Agents such as Scott Boras and others are able to get their clients long term/high priced contracts that are FULLY guaranteed. Its fine if he plays up to his contract but if he plays down to it then it will cripple many teams. It prevents them from signing other guys and makes these contracts untradable (unless you trade bad contract for a bad contract).

I'm all for baseball players getting paid well BUT they need to live up to the contract and perform. These teams need out clauses in the contracts but the players union will never allow this.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
This is a huge problem with baseball. Agents such as Scott Boras and others are able to get their clients long term/high priced contracts that are FULLY guaranteed. Its fine if he plays up to his contract but if he plays down to it then it will cripple many teams. It prevents them from signing other guys and makes these contracts untradable (unless you trade bad contract for a bad contract).

I'm all for baseball players getting paid well BUT they need to live up to the contract and perform. These teams need out clauses in the contracts but the players union will never allow this.

Football is the only sports that doesnt have guaranteed contracts. Guaranteed contracts are kind of the norm in sports.

As for the players being untradeable. Im not so sure about that one. Look at the contracts the Red Sox moved a few months ago. The Red Sox cleared up 270 million dollars in long term deals and only had to pay 12 million dollars.

Your right. The union would never go for this kind of move. Since a salary cap would probably go with these kind of contracts then. And that isnt happening.

FYI - the team doesnt have to sign the player to the long term deal. No one is holding a gun to their heads. The Cardinals didnt resign Pujols and they still made it to the NLCS. And are in better shape then the Angels in the long run. Teams are starting to realize that now.

It will be interesting to see if some team blinks and signs Hamilton to a 7 yr 175 million dollar deal that he wants.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Every time I start to think this
FYI - the team doesnt have to sign the player to the long term deal. No one is holding a gun to their heads. The Cardinals didnt resign Pujols and they still made it to the NLCS. And are in better shape then the Angels in the long run. Teams are starting to realize that now.
Something like this happens

some team blinks and signs Hamilton to a 7 yr 175 million dollar deal that he wants.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State

AlanSmithee

Oct 11, 2012
Football is the only sports that doesnt have guaranteed contracts. Guaranteed contracts are kind of the norm in sports.

As for the players being untradeable. Im not so sure about that one. Look at the contracts the Red Sox moved a few months ago. The Red Sox cleared up 270 million dollars in long term deals and only had to pay 12 million dollars.

Your right. The union would never go for this kind of move. Since a salary cap would probably go with these kind of contracts then. And that isnt happening.

It will be interesting to see if some team blinks and signs Hamilton to a 7 yr 175 million dollar deal that he wants.

But some team will blink and give him a 5-7 year deal which is very risky for a player like Hamilton. Do you think that a team would trade for Alex Rodriguez right now??? Do you think that a team would have taken on Jason Bay's contract if the mets hadn't released him??

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
But some team will blink and give him a 5-7 year deal which is very risky for a player like Hamilton. Do you think that a team would trade for Alex Rodriguez right now??? Do you think that a team would have taken on Jason Bay's contract if the mets hadn't released him??

I didnt think a team would take crawfords 110 million dollar contract.

If the yankees traded AROD with another player it could be done. The same could have been said with Bay. The Mets could have tried to trade Dickey along with Bay and get some prospects and rid of the contract.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
2012 AL Rookie of the year - Mike Trout

2012 Nl Rookie of the year - Bryce Harper

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
The Harper one could be debatable.

I wouldnt have been surprised if miley or frzier won it instead of harper.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Can baseball just release all the awards?
They're not drawing anyone in by doing one every 2 weeks or whatever.
The people that are going to care will care, the ones that don't aren't waiting on edge to see who the GG winners are.

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
It's very silly. I saw an article about the MVP candidates a while back and thought "They haven't announced the winner yet? Nobody cares at this point."

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Can baseball just release all the awards?
They're not drawing anyone in by doing one every 2 weeks or whatever.
The people that are going to care will care, the ones that don't aren't waiting on edge to see who the GG winners are.

All of the awards will be done by Thursday. ROY today. Manager - tues. Cy young - wed. MVP - thursday.

No one ever cares about the Gold Glove. Except the guys winning the award.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
It would have been a surprise to me.
All season long people huffed on Harper's wang.
It's all I heard around here.
Todd Frazier had a chance I guess. Similar numbers in a lot of respect, but Harper was going to get it.

Frazier
128 Games, 55 Runs, 26 Doubles, 19 HRs, 67 RBIs
.273/.331/.498 (.829 OPS)
1.9 WAR

Harper
139 Games, 98 Runs, 26 Doubels, 22 HRs, 59 RBIs, 18 SB
.270/.340/.477 (.817 OPS)
5.0 WAR

Miley had a meh ending of the season

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Miley had 3 bad starts in the last 2 months. I wouldnt really classify that as meh. His september was better then Harper's July. That's for sure.

FYI Miley's WAR was 4.8

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Heard on the radio yesterday the Yanks & Sox are both going after Mike Napoli.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
They both deserve him.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Heard on the radio yesterday the Yanks & Sox are both going after Mike Napoli.

I'd rather have Martin back for 1 or 2 years and then turn it over to one of their prospects. They were comparable offensively last year but Martin's better defensively and Napoli having a down year offensively while playing in Texas isn't a great sign. I know he missed some time on the DL but he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire before that.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Miley had 3 bad starts in the last 2 months. I wouldnt really classify that as meh. His september was better then Harper's July. That's for sure.

FYI Miley's WAR was 4.8
Was just going off the game log averages.
Last 7 starts he had a 5.15 ERA and was getting hit at .294
3+ ER in all those starts, but not bad I guess.