2012 Oscar Nominations = Lowest Rated Telecast Ever?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Well, the 2012 Oscar Noms are out, and they're even worse than predicted:

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news...s-nominees-scorecard-2012,0,2535525.htmlstory

The important ones:

BEST PICTURE
"The Artist," Thomas Langmann, producer
"The Descendants," Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, producers
"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close," Scott Rudin, producer
"The Help," Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, producers
"Hugo," Graham King and Martin Scorsese, producers
"Midnight in Paris," Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, producers
"Moneyball," Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, producers
"The Tree of Life," Nominees to be determined
"War Horse," Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, producers

LEAD ACTOR
Demián Bichir, "A Better Life"
George Clooney, "The Descendants"
Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
Gary Oldman, "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy "
Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"

LEAD ACTRESS
Glenn Close, "Albert Nobbs"
Viola Davis, "The Help"
Rooney Mara, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
Michelle Williams, "My Week With Marilyn"

BEST DIRECTOR
Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
Alexander Payne, "The Descendants"
Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"
Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
Terrence Malick, "The Tree of Life"

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Kenneth Branagh, "My Week with Marilyn"
Jonah Hill, "Moneyball"
Nick Nolte, "Warrior"
Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"
Max von Sydow, "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Bérénice Bejo, "The Artist"
Jessica Chastain, "The Help"
Melissa McCarthy, "Bridesmaids"
Janet McTeer, "Albert Nobbs"
Octavia Spencer, "The Help"

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
"The Descendants," Alexander Payne and Nat Faxon & Jim Rash
"Hugo," John Logan
"The Ides of March," George Clooney & Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon
"Moneyball," Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin. Story by Stan Chervin
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," Screenplay by Bridget O'Connor & Peter Straughan

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
"The Artist," Michel Hazanavicius
"Bridesmaids," Annie Mumolo & Kristen Wiig
"Margin Call," J.C. Chandor
"Midnight in Paris," Woody Allen
"A Separation," Asghar Farhadi

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
"A Cat in Paris," Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli
"Chico & Rita," Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal
"Kung Fu Panda 2," Jennifer Yuh Nelson
"Puss in Boots," Chris Miller
"Rango," Gore Verbinski

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
"Bullhead," Belgium
"Footnote," Israel
"In Darkness," Poland
"Monsieur Lazhar," Canada
"A Separation," Iran

DOCUMENTARY (FEATURE)
"Hell and Back Again," Danfung Dennis and Mike Lerner
"If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Liberation Front," Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman
"Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory," Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs
"Pina," Wim Wenders and Gian-Piero Ringel
"Undefeated," TJ Martin, Dan Lindsay and Richard Middlemas

The rest:

DOCUMENTARY (SHORT SUBJECT)
"The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement," Robin Fryday and Gail Dolgin
"God Is the Bigger Elvis," Rebecca Cammisa and Julie Anderson
"Incident in New Baghdad," James Spione
"Saving Face," Daniel Junge and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy
"The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom," Lucy Walker and Kira Carstensen

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
"Dimanche/Sunday," Patrick Doyon
"The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore," William Joyce and Brandon Oldenburg
"La Luna," Enrico Casarosa
"A Morning Stroll," Grant Orchard and Sue Goffe
"Wild Life," Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
"Pentecost," Peter McDonald and Eimear O'Kane
"Raju," Max Zähle and Stefan Gieren
"The Shore," Terry George and Oorlagh George
"Time Freak," Andrew Bowler and Gigi Causey
"Tuba Atlantic," Hallvar Witzø

ART DIRECTION
"The Artist," production design: Laurence Bennett; set decoration: Robert Gould
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2," production design: Stuart Craig; set decoration: Stephenie McMillan
"Hugo," production design: Dante Ferretti; set decoration: Francesca Lo Schiavo
"Midnight in Paris," production design: Anne Seibel; set decoration: Hélène Dubreuil
"War Horse," production design: Rick Carter; set decoration: Lee Sandales

CINEMATOGRAPHY
Guillaume Schiffman, "The Artist"
Jeff Cronenweth, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
Robert Richardson, "Hugo"
Emmanuel Lubezki, "The Tree of Life"
Janusz Kaminski, "War Horse"

COSTUME DESIGN
Lisy Christl, "Anonymous"
Mark Bridges, "The Artist"
Sandy Powell, "Hugo"
Michael O'Connor, "Jane Eyre"
Arianne Phillips, "W.E"

FILM EDITING
"The Artist," Anne-Sophie Bion and Michel Hazanavicius
"The Descendants," Kevin Tent
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall
"Hugo" Thelma Schoonmaker
"Moneyball," Christopher Tellefsen

MAKEUP
"Albert Nobbs," Martial Corneville, Lynn Johnston and Matthew W. Mungle
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2," Nick Dudman, Amanda Knight and Lisa Tomblin
"The Iron Lady," Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
"The Adventures of Tintin," John Williams
"The Artist," Ludovic Bource
"Hugo," Howard Shore
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy," Alberto Iglesias
"War Horse" John Williams

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
"Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets," music and lyrics by Bret McKenzie
"Real in Rio," from "Rio," music by Sergio Mendes and Carlinhos Brown; lyrics by Siedah Garrett

SOUND EDITING
"Drive," Lon Bender and Victor Ray Ennis
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," Ren Klyce
"Hugo," Philip Stockton and Eugene Gearty
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon," Ethan Van der Ryn and Erik Aadahl
"War Horse," Richard Hymns and Gary Rydstrom

SOUND MIXING
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce and Bo Persson
"Hugo," Tom Fleischman and John Midgley
"Moneyball," Deb Adair, Ron Bochar, Dave Giammarco and Ed Novick
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon," Greg P. Russell, Gary Summers, Jeffrey J. Haboush and Peter J. Devlin
"War Horse," Gary Rydstrom, Andy Nelson, Tom Johnson and Stuart Wilson

VISUAL EFFECTS
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson
"Hugo," Rob Legato, Joss Williams, Ben Grossman and Alex Henning
"Real Steel," Erik Nash, John Rosengrant, Dan Taylor and Swen Gillberg
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes," Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, R. Christopher White and Daniel Barrett
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon," Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Matthew Butler and John Frazier

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I ended up seeing Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it was a terrible movie. A truly terrible film that really wanted to come across as important. It's actually kind of disgusting.

Practically nothing for Drive. Nothing for Melancholia. Nothing for either the Captain America Star Spangled Man song or the Drive Nightcall song. I'm glad to see Mara getting nominated for best actress and Hugo getting a bunch of nods, though.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I ended up seeing Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and it was a terrible movie. A truly terrible film that really wanted to come across as important. It's actually kind of disgusting.
This is the least surprising thing I've read in a while.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
They really need to go back to 5 nominations. Somehow it would be better for Drive to be left off the list if War Horse and Extremely Loud weren't on there. I'm not sure what the other omission would have been, but I think we could have lived without it.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
This is the least surprising thing I've read in a while.
That it sucked or that I saw it?

I saw it because of the very low Rotten Tomatoes score. It deserved lower. Seriously, if you find Oscar bait films to be among the lowest forms of movies, this is among the worst of the lot.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004

I saw it because of the very low Rotten Tomatoes score. It deserved lower. Seriously, if you find Oscar bait films to be among the lowest forms of movies, this is among the worst of the lot.
Either - Or both!

48% isn't that low of a score, although I guess it is for a Best Picture nominee.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis

That it sucked. Although you seeing it wasn't very surprising because you see fucking everything.

And yes, Oscar baiting and movies that set out to be award-worthy are generally horrible, and making it about 9/11 is a special kind of awfulness.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
48% isn't that low of a score, although I guess it is for a Best Picture nominee.
I meant for an Oscar nominee/type of movie it is (Tom Hanks will make you cry!). Obviously it would be a decent score if it was the new Underworld film.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Yeah I went back a few years and the closest I could find was The Reader with 60%, but I think that was back in the 5 nomination days, so I'd say it's a pretty fair comparison.

afternoonquil

Apology Ostrich
Apr 2, 2011

So what were the keys for?

I hope to god it was something disappointing

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Yeah I haven't seen any of the 9 best picture films. The only ones I think I'd even bother watching are Moneyball and Hugo and that's just because of Marty.

Really upset that Alan Rickman wasn't nominated for supporting actor for his work in Harry Potter. He was awesome in those movies.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Fuck all these award shows, it's all set up by all these in crowd out of touch motherfuckers. The movies that deserve recognition and deserve to win never do.

fulldevilsoccer

Jul 2, 2009
Fuck all these award shows, it's all set up by all these in crowd out of touch motherfuckers. The movies that deserve recognition and deserve to win never do.
Only two award shows matter: The grammys and the Academy awards. If you watch all the other shady award shows out there that's your problem.

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
I'm going to see the Artist tonight. I think, if I don't kill someone at work, or just leave... We will see.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Yeah I haven't seen any of the 9 best picture films. The only ones I think I'd even bother watching are Moneyball and Hugo and that's just because of Marty.

Really upset that Alan Rickman wasn't nominated for supporting actor for his work in Harry Potter. He was awesome in everything.
Had to fix that a little.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I've been stuck for the past 15 years trying to figure out which was their biggest fuckup ever - Star Wars losing to Annie Hall or Pulp Fiction losing to Forrest Gump.

Fellowship of the Ring losing to A Beautiful Mind was in that list too, but I guess they kind of "fixed it" by giving Return of the King the award 2 years later. I feel like Crash should be in there somewhere, too - but I honestly couldn't tell you what should have won in it's place.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
Bridesmaids should've been nominated, that was a funny fucking movie. Warrior should've been nominated as well (both Nick Nolte and Tom Hardy were incredible)

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Bridesmaids should've been nominated, that was a funny fucking movie. Warrior should've been nominated as well (both Nick Nolte and Tom Hardy were incredible)
It got best screenplay and best supporting actress. If you thought it deserved best picture, you probably thought The Hangover deserved best picture as well.

I've been stuck for the past 15 years trying to figure out which was their biggest fuckup ever - Star Wars losing to Annie Hall or Pulp Fiction losing to Forrest Gump.

Fellowship of the Ring losing to A Beautiful Mind was in that list too, but I guess they kind of "fixed it" by giving Return of the King the award 2 years later. I feel like Crash should be in there somewhere, too - but I honestly couldn't tell you what should have won in it's place.
Pulp Fiction losing to Forrest Gump and Fargo losing to The English Patient. Annie Hall beating Star Wars was not a fuck up in the slightest. I mean I know Star Wars is the more beloved movie, but Annie Hall is a truly terrific and funny film that changed an entire genre. I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of an American film before Annie Hall that was a romantic comedy that was actually about relationships. And I'm looking at IMDB and they really need to change their search feature. When I'm looking for "Romance" in 1975, I shouldn't have to troll through countless episodes of The Waltons and Little House on the Prarie.

As for what Crash should have been beaten by- I'd give it to Brokeback Mountain, A History of Violence, Munich, and even The Squid and the Whale. I still think Jeff Daniels deserved to be nominated for an Oscar for that film.

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL

Really upset that Alan Rickman wasn't nominated for supporting actor for his work in Harry Potter. He was awesome in those movies.
I thought Moneyball was VERY good. I would say that even if he wasn't a big baseball fan. I thought both Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill played their roles very well. I thought the movie was well acted all around (Chris Pratt did so well that I almost forget he was Andy from Parks & Rec). It probably won't win Best Picture, but I honestly couldn't believe they were making a movie from this book and thought it would be complete dogs**t. It wasn't at all and actually turned out to be pretty damn good.

salz4life

May 11, 2007
Fox Lake, IL
I thought Bridesmaids was funny, but I think I had it built up to be one of the funniest movies of all time by everyone telling me it was great. I was a little let down after seeing it.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Pulp Fiction losing to Forrest Gump and Fargo losing to The English Patient. Annie Hall beating Star Wars was not a fuck up in the slightest. I mean I know Star Wars is the more beloved movie, but Annie Hall is a truly terrific and funny film that changed an entire genre. I'm sure there are examples, but I can't think of an American film before Annie Hall that was a romantic comedy that was actually about relationships. And I'm looking at IMDB and they really need to change their search feature. When I'm looking for "Romance" in 1975, I shouldn't have to troll through countless episodes of The Waltons and Little House on the Prarie.
There were plenty of Romantic Comedies about relationships prior to it. Unless I'm not understanding what you mean, Breakfast at Tiffany's and the Seven Year Itch immediately spring to mind. Unless you're saying it was unique because the two leads didn't end up together "happily ever after?"

And even if you say Annie Hall did something different than those movies to help define that genre (besides stupid Diane Keaton's boy clothes), Star Wars did more than change the Science Fiction genre, it changed the entire film industry. Annie Hall was a cute little comedy and probably Woody Allen's finest film, but nothing could possibly compare with the impact Star Wars had on the industry.

I think people's judgment on those two films is based on two things, neither of which is relevant. First of all, I think most film critics would agree that Star Wars changed the industry, but some say it was for the worse, blaming it for Michael Bay, Uwe Boll, and everything in between. Secondly, and probably more importantly, Star Wars gets blamed for everything George has done since. Not only is he an egomaniacal cunt, but he hasn't been able to produce or direct an even passable film for almost 25 years now. I guess fucking your daughter and Curse of the Jade Scorpion plays better with film critics.

To this day I've never seen the English Patient, but I've seen Fargo on a lot of "Y U No Win?" lists. And while Crash was awful, all of the other nominees that year were flawed in their own right. It was kind of just a shitty year for "good movies." Although I certainly enjoyed Batman Begins and Kingdom of Heaven, neither was Oscar worthy.