2012 Yankees Offseason Thread.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Now that the inevitable is about to happen, here is what I think the Yankees should do in the offseason:

If its possible under the CBA, they should buy out A-Rod's contract. All the parties involved should sit at a table. The Yankees should then write a fair offer on a piece of paper and slide it over to Alex and his representatives. They should all nod in agreement and then Cashman should tell them chuckle heads to get the hell out of his office.

Nick Swisher you may have been great for the clubhouse when you first got here and by all accounts you're really a nice guy. But you have to go.

I'm willing to give Granderson one more opportunity to prove that he is worthy of big money. I kind of like an outfield of Gardner, Curtis, and Ichrio.

I think Kuroda has earned another year in pinstripes.

As always, Pettitte you're welcome back if you want to pitch for another year.

Jeter and Mo are a given.

Send Nunez some place where he can learn how to play the outfield. The Yankees can't repeat the same mistake that they did with Montero.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Bye Bye Swisher. He is going to want a long term deal. And the yankees cant pay him that kind of money. He probably cost himself a nice chunk of change with his playoff flop.

Sign Ichiro to a 1 and 1 deal. A 1 year deal with an incentive option for the second.

Re Sign Kuroda

Part of me thinks they shoudl pick up Granderson and Cano's option. And then try and deal one of those guys.

Part of me hopes that AROD waives his no trade clause. AROD and Cano to the Dodgers for whatever?????

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Bye Bye Swisher. He is going to want a long term deal. And the yankees cant pay him that kind of money. He probably cost himself a nice chunk of change with his playoff flop.

Sign Ichiro to a 1 and 1 deal. A 1 year deal with an incentive option for the second.

Re Sign Kuroda

Part of me thinks they shoudl pick up Granderson and Cano's option. And then try and deal one of those guys.

Part of me hopes that AROD waives his no trade clause. AROD and Cano to the Dodgers for whatever?????
First, when I opened Wackbag and saw this thread last night...instant erection. Any year the Yankees don't win the pennant is a good year.

Second, we were talking about this around the 'ol water cooler (blech)

I'm betting no trade for AROD in the off season. They will wait till mid-season when he is posting his regular season numbers and then trade him while peoples recollection of his whiffosity is hazy. Between that and the lure of a team pinning their name on a home run record, they could probably get a deal done.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Kuroda wants to pitch in NY so I think he'll be back. Hopefully they'll have a fully functional Michael Pineda next year. Hopefully Pettitte will give it one more go.
CC/Pettitte/Pineda/Kuroda/Hughes/Nova isn't bad at all.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
I think A-Rod will stay and he should.

If they can re-sign Ichiro then they should only keep 1 guy out of Granderson and Swisher since Gardner can play CF or LF. I think I prefer Swisher since he's better at getting on base, has a better batting average, and strikes out less but Granderson's power is undeniably better and having 2 guys capable of playing CF is never a bad thing if they're both good players, so he's worth a shot if he can get his strikeouts under control. If he can't get his strikeouts under control then I think he's going to see a dip in his HR totals sooner than later nless he hits in front of someone who offers a little protection.

I wonder if they'll try to keep Ibanez (or if he'll even want to keep playing). He was better than I anticipated this year, but his age make shim a question mark for the rest of his career if he doesn't retire. If he doesn't return, then I guess that gives them room to keep all of their current outfielders and rotate the DH spot between one of them and their infielders, but I don't know if the cost of keeping Swisher on a multi-year deal makes that compatible with their payroll goals. I doubt they can get Ichiro back for what they paid Ibanez.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The Yankees would be better off taking Arod on a one way fishing trip off the coast of Mexico.

Hope Jeter returns better then ever. (This is from a long suffering Met fan.)

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
Keeping Ibanez because of his past 3 weeks makes as much sense as trading/eating ARod because of his past 3 weeks. It was great what Ibanez did for the team in October, but he really can't be anything other than a PH/random DH vs righties. I'd much rather re-sign Andruw Jones (is his contract even up?) than get Ibanez again. They're already the oldest team in the leagues.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Keeping Ibanez because of his past 3 weeks makes as much sense as trading/eating ARod because of his past 3 weeks. It was great what Ibanez did for the team in October, but he really can't be anything other than a PH/random DH vs righties. I'd much rather re-sign Andruw Jones (is his contract even up?) than get Ibanez again. They're already the oldest team in the leagues.
I think Jones is done. He hit .197 this year and was virtually worthless after July. Even though he's younger than Ibanez I don't see them choosing him if both guys want to come back. Even if Ibanez doesn't return I think they might look elsewhere for a cheap part-time DH/PH/OF. I didn't realize that Marcus Thames was on their roster (at least according to si.com) so maybe he'll fill that role or they'll decide to keep Casey McGehee around and use Chris Dickerson as their 4th outfielder.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008

I disagree with you. They signed Ibanez to be the Dh and play in the OF occasionally. Ibanze wound up playing 90 games in the OF this season because of Gardner's injury. If gardner didnt get hurt. Raul's numbers would have been a lot better. He isnt an everyday outfielder and he got thrown into that role this season because of Gardner. Jones stinks. His defense isnt great. He can't hit and he can't run.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009

Re Sign Kuroda

I only have one advice for the Yankees: do not, under any circumstances, trade Robinson Cano. Not only is he the best player on the team, he is a better player than the Yankees could hope to sign in the next few years, even if they were willing to spend more than it will cost to keep Cano.

I'd rather they trade Tex than Cano. And I like Tex.
Now that the inevitable is about to happen, here is what I think the Yankees should do in the offseason:

If its possible under the CBA, they should buy out A-Rod's contract. All the parties involved should sit at a table. The Yankees should then write a fair offer on a piece of paper and slide it over to Alex and his representatives. They should all nod in agreement and then Cashman should tell them chuckle heads to get the hell out of his office.
And the reason why Cashman should need his office urgently vacated is so that he could hang himself over the monumental fuckup of signing that A-Rod contract to begin with.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
I only have one advice for the Yankees: do not, under any circumstances, trade Robinson Cano. Not only is he the best player on the team, he is a better player than the Yankees could hope to sign in the next few years, even if they were willing to spend more than it will cost to keep Cano.

And the reason why Cashman should need his office urgently vacated is so that he could hang himself over the monumental fuckup of signing that A-Rod contract to begin with.

Hank signed AROD. Cashman had nothing to do with that signing. Hank signed AROD and then disappeared from running the team.

The only way the yankees could trade texiera is with Cano. Not a lot of teams would take on Teix's salary without something else tied to him.

As for Cano. He is 30 years old. he has an option for next year. Then he will want a long term deal. I dont think the yankees should try and sign him to a long term deal. Since they will probably be paying 20 - 25 million to a 37 yr old second baseman in the future.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger

I agree with you about Cano. Despite his terrible 2012 postseason, he's still had some excellent postseason series. In the 3 playoff series prior to this season he hit a combine .333 (19 for 57) with 6 HRs, 3 doubles, 1 triple, and 15 RBI in 14 games. He also managed to have 4 RBI in this year's ALDS despite having only 2 hits. If some of the other guys in the lineup could have some productive outs instead of striking out all the time, they might still be playing.

As for A-Rod, Cashman doesn't deserve any of the blame for that contract. That deal had more to do with Hank than anything else.

TallBaby

Unregistered User .
Sep 9, 2005
Dallas, TX
When he was with the Tigers, Granderson was great because he wasn't trying to hit 50 homeruns every year--his batting average was consistently in the .280-.300 range his last couple years and the doubles/triples/HRs were solid...plus he was providing great defense.

It seems like the trade to the Yankees put him in a position where he didn't need to be a catalyst because they already had Jeter for that, so he has developed into a one dimensional player. He's a hell of a guy, does a lot of charitable stuff and is great with the fans. I think part of his success as a Tiger was because he had really become the fan favorite and was adored by the local media. In NY, there's so many faces, stories and scrutiny that any boost he gets from being fan friendly is negated any time he goes into a slump.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Granderson stunk his last year with the Tigers. he hit 249 and struck out 141 times. And he couldnt hit lefties at all. He hit 183 against them in 2009. His fly ball rate was actually highest in detroit. In 2009, it was 49.3%. Last yr it was at 44%. So im not sure id his hitting style has changed that much. He could only hit lefties one season in detroit and that was 259. All the other years , he was under 200. Tere was a bunch of scrutiny with this trade at the time. A lot of people were worried that granderson was on the downside. Since his avg went down and all. Which has pretty much stayed the same. He has just increased his HR rate.

Granderson isnt an ideal top of the order guy. He strikes out too much

lockjaaaaww

All out of Bubble Gum.
Apr 26, 2008
bohemia, ny
Dump Swisher, Bring back Kuroda, and find a team dumb enough to take on a small portion of A-Rod's contract. Eating most of his contract would be worth it just to be rid of this burden.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Reading it now.

I want no part of that crackhead Hamilton in NYC. That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

No way!!! Hamilton in NY has disaster written all over it. And heard Cano wants a 10 yr deal too. If that's true. Dump his ass this year too.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Dump Swisher, Bring back Kuroda, and find a team dumb enough to take on a small portion of A-Rod's contract. Eating most of his contract would be worth it just to be rid of this burden.
The contract they'd be eating would still count towards the luxury tax, wouldn't it? And they'd have to pay another bat in the lineup.

As much as I hate A-Rod, they're better off just keeping him as DH/occasional third baseman. Look at it this way: at least he's not a pitcher, he can't give away entire games when he doesn't perform.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I just read a pretty good article about the Yanks downfall this season. I tried to copy it here but it is too long and is a pain in the ass. Here is the link if you want to check it out.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8523296/new-york-present-bad-questions-future-worse
No mention of Ichiro? I guess he wouldn't be interested in a 1 year contract with the Yanks? I would almost say "give him two years". The problem is, if they're aiming to meet the spending cap in 2014, they'd have to hope nothing bad happens and they can trade him next winter.

peewee

Aug 10, 2003
NY
No way!!! Hamilton in NY has disaster written all over it. And heard Cano wants a 10 yr deal too. If that's true. Dump his ass this year too.
I agree with you on Hamilton. I rather see them keep Granderson for another year and sign Ichiro to a 1 year deal with maybe an option year. I can't blame Cano for wanting a 10 year deal. This would be his one big contract. He is the best player the Yanks have and he knows it. As much as I hate to see them enter another long term deal, I don't see a better option.

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I agree with you on Hamilton. I rather see them keep Granderson for another year and sign Ichiro to a 1 year deal with maybe an option year. I can't blame Cano for wanting a 10 year deal. This would be his one big contract. He is the best player the Yanks have and he knows it. As much as I hate to see them enter another long term deal, I don't see a better option.
I'd rather overpay Cano in dollars than years. He's gonna want 10 years as a 31 year old? Fuck that. Give him 6 years but pay him 25+ a year. It's not like another team will give him 10/300.

The only 10 year deal that has ever worked has been Jeters (and you can argue his was a bargain - what was it, 10/190?).