2013 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis

Big division match-up tonight between bitter rivals the Rangers and the Astros...
Baseball on all day tomorrow on ESPN.

Start the season.

I'm glad Rick Ankiel made the Astros. He might be the only name the casual fan will know

Aug 12, 2005
PA
Opening day! Well night. The game isn't that great but its meaningful baseball. I'm happy.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Obviously but there are so many better match ups
they could have kicked off the season with.

But people are going to watch the game. Since it's the first game and everything. Plus it's sort of a rivalry and everything and something new.

There were bigger issues with the schedule.

Yankees and Mets opening at the same time on Monday doesnt make any sense.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Are the three of them ( Kruk, Hershiser and Shulman ) over analyzing a lot. Or is it just me.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I think I actually like Kruk in the booth, but I reserve the right to hate him in a few weeks

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Hopefully there's not a Topps curse like the Madden one. I have two of those fellows on my Fantasy team this year.

Because I know Norm Stansfield will enjoy looking these up 3 years from now, here are my predictions:

Al East
Tampa Bay
*New York
Toronto
Baltimore
Boston

AL Central
Detroit
*Cleveland
Kansas City
Chicago
Minnesota

AL West
Los Angeles
Seattle
Texas
Oakland
Houston

NL East
Washington
*Philadelphia
Atlanta
New York
Miami

NL Central
Cincinnati
St. Louis
Milwaukee
Pittsburgh
Chicago

NL West
Los Angeles
*Arizona
San Francisco
San Diego
Colorado

NY over Cleveland
Los Angeles over NY
Detroit over Tampa
Los Angeles over Detroit

Philly over Arizona
Philly over Los Angeles
Washington over Cincinnati
Washington over Philly

World Series: Washington over Los Angeles

So go bet on some other team, I guess.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for the laugh fandago.

Oh and interesting take on the AL West. I think Seattle is a yr away personally

Al East
Toronto
*TampaBay
Yankees
Baltimore
Boston

Al Central
Detroit
KC
Cleveland
Chicago
Minny

AL West
A's
*Angels
Texas
Seattle
Houston

NL East
Nats
*Braves
Phillies
Mets
Marlins

NL West
Reds
Cards
Pirates
Brewers
Cubs

NL West
Giants
*Dbacks
dodgers
Padres
Rockies

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Notice I didn't have a Wild Card coming from the West. I don't think Seattle has to improve much to push past Texas and Oakland, who I think are both due for a major step backwards.

Texas' problems have been well documented. They're going to play a lot of games like last night's loss to Houston. With Oakland, they somehow managed to cobble together enough runs (via the long ball from some very odd sources) to finish in the middle of the pack. A lot of people are picking their offense to get better with the additions of Lowrie and Young, but I don't see another 53 HR's from Reddick and Moss. I also think there was a lot of smoke and mirrors with that pitching staff last year. You can't survive that long pitching to contact.

So I think Seattle can move up to 2nd place with a modest 10 game improvement to 85 wins. Presumably, Morse swaps in for Casper Wells and Morales effectively swaps in for Olivo. That could be worth 6 or 7 wins right there. Their OF depth is also much better this year with the addition of Bay and Ibanez. So they only need some mild progression from Ackley and Montero to be a much more effective offense. They don't even need to be in the top half of the league, just better. Oakland won 94 games with the 8th best offense last year. Of course, I don't know how good Seattle's pitching is going to be behind Felix.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Your last sentence is why I was surprised with the Seattle pick. They have a ton of young pitching in the farm system. If Hultzen and Walker come up this season and do well. Then they could make a run like the A's did last year. And I may have a few questions about Wilhelmson. Ithink Pryor or Capps could be the closer for them by the end of the season. I just wonder what they are going to do with Montero. Their best hitting prospect is a catcher. Montero can't play the outfield. And they Smoak at first and kendry at DH. I wonder if this is a do or die season for Smoak. If he doesnt do well. They could just sign Kendry to a long term deal and put montero at DH.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I wish I could share fandango86 's optimism about the Angels and Dodgers. I could see the Angels winning the West, but I'm thinking the Dodgers best chance is a wild card berth.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
I wish I could share fandango86 's optimism about the Angels and Dodgers. I could see the Angels winning the West, but I'm thinking the Dodgers best chance is a wild card berth.
I could see that happening with the dodgers. But I could also see hem making a monster trade during the season again and paying for most of crawford's contract. So Puig can come up.

I hope the dodgers do well. If they don't. Mattingly is probably gone.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I could see that happening with the dodgers. But I could also see hem making a monster trade during the season again and paying for most of crawford's contract. So Puig can come up.

I hope the dodgers do well. If they don't. Mattingly is probably gone.
Their active roster only includes three outfielders today, one of them coming off TJ surgery. I hope Mattingly doesn't plan on burning them out.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Their active roster only includes three outfielders today, one of them coming off TJ surgery. I hope Mattingly doesn't plan on burning them out.
Well they have Schumaker. He can play everywhere.

armymad

#14 poster in this mad world
Jan 12, 2001
new york
Lets see how bad the mets are going to be this year

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Harper just hit his second HR. He CRUSHED it!!!!!

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Phillies all the way to the NLCS, huh? And the Red Sox are last again? Not gonna have to look for this, because I bookmarked it.
Here's my thoughts on both.

I don't like what the Braves did this offseason running off Michael Bourn and bringing in the Upton brothers. Both of them have had attitude problems by themselves. How can that possibly get better with them together, and playing for Fredi Gonzalez, who got run out of Miami because he couldn't handle Han-Ram? I think some of their pitchers, particularly Minor and Maholm, pitched a little bit over their heads last year, and I think losing Chipper means more than it would appear on paper. Add that all up and I can see them dropping back 8-10 wins from 94 into the mid 80's.

The Phillies finished at .500 last year, so they're not far off if the Braves drop back into the 80's. Howard and Utley both missed huge chunks of the season. Both are healthy to open the year and both had great springs. I know both are risky, but it's April 1st, I'm making my prediction based on what I know April 1st. I also like the Ben Revere acquisition and I like Dominic Brown to finally figure things out. Michael Young may not have much in the tank, but he's an upgrade at third over...well, nothing. I think the big question mark for them is Halladay, but he's a gamer, I think he'll figure it out. Once they reach the postseason I'd match Hamels and Lee up against any other 2 starters in the NL.

As for the Red Sox, do I expect them to go 69-93 again? No. I expect the AL East to be very compressed, with maybe only 10-15 games separating first and fifth. So if the Rays win 90 like they did last year, the Red Sox could win between 75-80. There's potential for them to play a lot better, but I just don't see it all coming together for this group. Somebody has to finish in last in that division. I'm not sure I'd argue against any of the 5 teams finishing in last place. I just think the Sox have the most questions and the most holes of all the teams.

Harper just hit his second HR. He CRUSHED it!!!!!
Got him in the 4th round this year. Very happy.

luckie1710

Jul 21, 2008
Holy Crap. Harper is going off with 2 HR's. Strasburg has retired 18 straight batters. This team is going to be TOUGH to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.