Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Last edited by a moderator:

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Jesus, can they just start the season already? This is unbearable.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Is there a confirmed list of those that will get buyouts? I know of so far:
Danny Briere
Mike Komisarek
Tomas Kaberle

Oh and Begbie im going to add capgeek to your post for all cap space/hit and CBA details

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Jesus, can they just start the season already? This is unbearable.

Should be a fun two weeks though. Compliance buyouts start in a couple of days. Sunday is the draft and then next Friday free agency starts. Lots of hockey action going on. :)

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body
Aug 24, 2012
I look forward to the inevitable compliance buyout of Mikael Samuelsson.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Well...looks like Bobrovsky might have an offer to play in the KHL...$10M a year. Jeez...

Bobrovsky Talks Contract With KHL President

Vezina Trophy-winning goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky has held talks with KHL president Alexander Medvedev about a move to Russia’s SKA St. Petersburg, Medvedev said Sunday.

Bobrovsky’s dominant season for the Columbus Blue Jackets made him the first Russian to win the NHL's top goaltending honor. Columbus and SKA have both made offers to Bobrovsky, who would become the KHL’s biggest-ever signing were he to return to Russia.

“I’ve met Sergei and his agent. We held negotiations, an offer was made,” said Medvedev, who is also a director of SKA. “Now the player has to make his decision. The choice is his.”

Medvedev suggested a move to SKA could help ensure Bobrovsky of being Russia’s starting goaltender at next year’s Olympics in Sochi, the first time the Winter Games have been held in his home country.

“What could be better than playing front of the national team’s training staff in an Olympic year?” Medvedev said, and denied a move out of the world’s biggest league would be a bad move for Bobrovsky.

“We think that this is an excellent offer for Sergei to continue his career, a return to his home league, to a strong team,” he said. “I absolutely do not agree with those who think it would be a step backwards.”

SKA has reportedly offered $10 million a year to Bobrovsky, and his pay could be exempted from the KHL salary cap under league rules, which allow certain major signings not to be counted, at the league’s discretion.

Bobrovsky played for SKA during last season’s lockout.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Well...looks like Bobrovsky might have an offer to play in the KHL...$10M a year. Jeez...
If he only wants the money hell take it but I dont think he does. He has said many times he wants to win the stanley cup and you cant do that in Russia

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Bryzgalov gets a buyout...so with Briere's buyout, the Flyers are out of compliance buyouts.

Flyers Buy Out Bryz

First it was Danny Briere, now it’s Ilya Bryzgalov.

The Flyers used the second of their two compliance buyout options today, parting ways with Bryzgalov after just two seasons.

“I met with Ilya this morning and informed him that we are going to exercise a compliance buy out of his contract,” general manager Paul Holmgren said. “This was a very difficult business decision to make for us and we want to thank Ilya for his time here and wish him all the best moving forward.”

Bryzgalov was originally signed to a nine-year, $51 million contract prior to the start of the 2011-12 season.

He never lived up to the value of that contract and after two tumultuous seasons with the team, is on the open market.

The Flyers will have to pay Bryzgalov two-thirds of the balance owed on his remaining term, or $23 million, but will have twice as long to pay it off.

As such, the Flyers will pay Bryzgalov approximately $1.643 million per year for the next 14 years to not play for them.

Bryzgalov, 33, never fulfilled his promise in Philadelphia, playing in 99 games for the Flyers going 52-33-10 with a 2.61 goals against average and a .905 save percentage in the regular season. His GAA and save percentage while with the Flyers ranked lower than his career averages of 2.55 and .915 respectively.

He also played in 11 playoff games for the Flyers going 5-6 with a 3.46 GAA and an .887 save percentage.

The Flyers will save $5.667 million on the cap for each of the next seven seasons by exercising this buyout.

Combined with the Briere buyout, the Flyers have saved themselves about $12.17 million against the cap in each of the next two seasons.

The Flyers are now out of compliance buyout options.

Stay tuned for more on this story throughout the day….
I'm not a fan of the Russian goalies and players...especially if they get long term deals. But I'd consider Bryz on a shorter term deal.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Just got an alert from nhl gamecenter. Flyers have announced they will buyout Illya Bryzgalov.

My Bryzgalov jersey is now meaningless

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
Quenneville must have been doing his awful "Cornholio" impression again...

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
My daughter waited until the Bruins were in the playoffs to tell me she really wants to go to a hockey game...I told here we'll go next year when tickets are only $60 instead of $250...Stupid top market ticket prices...

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
My daughter waited until the Bruins were in the playoffs to tell me she really wants to go to a hockey game...I told here we'll go next year when tickets are only $60 instead of $250...Stupid top market ticket prices...
That will be a great time for her and you. Its being able to share experiences like that with a child kinda makes me lean towards wanting to have children

samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
May 16, 2007
Chicago
That guy seems like a Douchebag
He's never been a douchebag, but he used to be a bit moronic publicly. At the time, he was 21, and just won the Cup. He's done some stupid things...well...things that are stupid if the public finds ooot. If I had people shining their cell-cam at me 24/7 when I was in my 20's...I don't even want to think about it.

He's been careful for a while.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
This would've been interesting, had the NHL not shot it down...Tampa would trade Lecavalier and another asset to the Leafs...Leafs would then buy him out...Lecavalier would then turn around and re-sign with Tampa for a much smaller contract. Tampa gets Lecavalier under better, cheaper terms...Leafs would get an asset but would have to pay for the buyout. I'm sure it would have to be a pretty big asset though if we're talking a $30M buyout...

NHL Trips Up Buyouts

The NHL on Monday moved to close a loophole left in the allegedly airtight collective bargaining agreement by notifying general managers the league would deem re-signing a player following a trade and a subsequent amnesty buyout as circumvention, and thus would not register the contract, The Post has learned.

It is believed the Lightning and Maple Leafs had discussed such a maneuver regarding Vincent Lecavalier, who has seven years and $45 million remaining on his contract, with the buyout thus worth slightly more than $30 million.

The amnesty buyout period begins Wednesday night at 11:00, and lasts through July 4, one day before the opening of this year’s free agent market.

The clubs theoretically would have concocted a swap in which Tampa Bay would have sent an asset — perhaps a draft pick — to rolling-in-dough Toronto along with Lecavalier, who would have re-signed a more modest deal with the Lightning after being bought out by the Leafs.

Such a scheme would have saved Tampa Bay’s ownership a substantial sum while easing a cap squeeze for general manager Steve Yzerman, whose club currently faces a charge of $7.727 million per for Lecavalier through 2019-20 and the danger of significant cap-recapture penalties should No. 4 retire while still under contract.

The Leafs would have received an asset while the 33-year-old Lecavalier would at least have been made whole. It would have been a win-win-win situation ... but the NHL obviously perceived this — or any similar scheme — as a loss for the integrity of the labor agreement spawned by Owners’ Lockout III.

It is unknown whether the Lightning will amnesty Lecavalier on their own. Players who are bought out cannot be re-signed by their original clubs for one year. That is part of the CBA.

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
Jonathan Toews Went Crowd Surfing at a Chicago Bar to Celebrate the Stanley Cup

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
This would've been interesting, had the NHL not shot it down...Tampa would trade Lecavalier and another asset to the Leafs...Leafs would then buy him out...Lecavalier would then turn around and re-sign with Tampa for a much smaller contract. Tampa gets Lecavalier under better, cheaper terms...Leafs would get an asset but would have to pay for the buyout. I'm sure it would have to be a pretty big asset though if we're talking a $30M buyout...
I know you used to be able to send cash as part of a trade. I dont know if you still can but lecavalier, a piece, and $30mil for a pick or 2 (depending on the piece obviously) would work. So if that would be allowed to happen the leafs would do it

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
So if I'm reading it correctly, it looks like "to be bought out" players need to be placed on waivers first...and once they clear, the buyout can happen. Purely just a formality...since I doubt any team would think about picking up a waived player and their insane contract.

Something Charles Wang would tell Garth Snow to do though. :rolleyes:

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
So if I'm reading it correctly, it looks like "to be bought out" players need to be placed on waivers first...and once they clear, the buyout can happen. Purely just a formality...since I doubt any team would think about picking up a waived player and their insane contract.

Something Charles Wang would tell Garth Snow to do though. :rolleyes:
I could see Snow doing it if you need the hit to stay above the floor for the upcoming season. Obviously the remaining years and actual dollars owed would be a factor. A contract like Briere's would of been ideal for this because its a $6.5 cap hit but only 2yrs left, $3mil this year, and $2 mil next year

LilJimmyRbinson

Best muppet ever
Nov 19, 2004
RI
I have no idea if the Rangers will buy out Brad Richards. I guess we'll know today.