2013 NY Islanders Season Thread

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
It's January 6th, and we're still in the playoff race! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

And let's not forget the BEST news that happened since the team last played:

The FUTURE home of the NY Islanders!!!!

(perhaps with a new, revised NHL schedule...Ratner/Wang/Mangano can work on a deal to have them play at Barclays a couple times this season) Probably wishful thinking.

Isles Depth Chart (lines are kinda screwy)

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Okposo - Bailey - (Nino/Strome/Joensuu)
Martin - Nielsen - Grabner
Boulton - Reasoner - (Cizikas/Ullstrom)

Streit - Visnovsky
Hamonic - MacDonald
Carkner - Donovan/Ness

Nabokov - Rickity - Poulin/Nilsson

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Woooooooo! Where's LAX and Cromwell?

teee heee

who was the other guy from the old days that always whined in the the Isles threads? aportablephoe or badcellguy?

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
Dun dun DP! dun dun DP! dun dun DP! :action-sm

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I don't have HUGE expectations for this season, but it's nice to see that Nino is 8th in AHL scoring this year (33pts in 33 games). As long as they don't put him on a line with a bunch of deadbeats like last year, he could add some scoring depth.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
Heh your 3rd line center's name is Frans.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I don't have HUGE expectations for this season, but it's nice to see that Nino is 8th in AHL scoring this year (33pts in 33 games). As long as they don't put him on a line with a bunch of deadbeats like last year, he could add some scoring depth.
I think the lockout might screw a few things up with player's conditioning/etc, so anything can happen. I think Tavares elevates to "elite" status, especially since he's in game shape and played phenomenally in the Swiss league...if he and Nabby have big years, the Isles can make it interesting.

According to Staple...Grabner (torn abdominal) and Hamonic (concussion) need to be evaluated on Long Island. de Haan out for season and Kabanov resumed skating, but still expected to be out awhile with torn (severed) tendons in wrist.

FAZ8218

Good eeeeeeeevening.
Wackbag Staff
Feb 10, 2006
Oceanside, NY
I think the shortened season will work to the Islanders advantage. 8th or 9th place for them.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Visnovsky can go fuck himself. He wants to stay in the KHL.

Translated....somewhat...

Lubomir Visnovsky got the general manager of HC Slovan Bratislava Maroš Krajci offer to continue Slovan.

Despite the agreement between the NHL, NHLPA and the beginning of the competition overseas, it may not be leaving the popular defender ultimate. Lubo Visnovsky got today before the game against Metallurg Magnitogorsk offer to continue Slovan. After the emotional end of a crowded ďakovačke Slovnaft Arena himself admitted that an offer from the management of our club very well consider.

For more details on a possible continuation Lubomir Visnovsky playing for Slovan bring in the next few hours.
Basically, his KHL team wants him to stay and he's comfortable there and doesn't want to leave. We'll obviously see the "Oh, he doesn't want to play for the lowly Islanders!"...but honestly, I think he would pull the same shit with any team (perhaps not the powerhouses).

Regardless...this needs to get resolved. If he's not here, then Snow/Wang need to report it to the league and try to get the second rounder back from Anaheim. For all we know, Anaheim knew of Visnovsky's disinterest with fulfilling the balance of his contract and tried to unload him.

Ridiculous. This nonsense should stop once we're in Barclays.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
Strome has looked NHL ready on his team as well as at World Juniors. They might not wanna rush him along tho ala Bailey. Kabanov was looking good too until he sliced his arm off. Brock Nelson as well as Nino were putting up good numbers. They are looking loaded at forward if most of these guys translate well to the NHL. Who knows...maybe catch a hot streak like the Kings did and squeak into the playoffs. One can dream.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Strome has looked NHL ready on his team as well as at World Juniors. They might not wanna rush him along tho ala Bailey. Kabanov was looking good too until he sliced his arm off. Brock Nelson as well as Nino were putting up good numbers. They are looking loaded at forward if most of these guys translate well to the NHL. Who knows...maybe catch a hot streak like the Kings did and squeak into the playoffs. One can dream.
I'm with FAZ8218, I think they're on the cusp of 8th-9th place. There are so many factors to consider though...given the lockout. Does Vis report and is he going to be motivated? Is Nabby ready? Can DiPi get injured so we don't have to worry about him starting? And more importantly, with a schedule centered around Atlantic teams...how are they going to play against the Pens, Flyers, Rangers, and Devils? I think BIG seasons from JT and Nabby are key...that will hopefully push us to an 8th spot.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
I'm with FAZ8218, I think they're on the cusp of 8th-9th place. There are so many factors to consider though...given the lockout. Does Vis report and is he going to be motivated? Is Nabby ready? Can DiPi get injured so we don't have to worry about him starting? And more importantly, with a schedule centered around Atlantic teams...how are they going to play against the Pens, Flyers, Rangers, and Devils? I think BIG seasons from JT and Nabby are key...that will hopefully push us to an 8th spot.
Isn't DP still hurt? (Crossing fingers!)

grabs needs to improve his hands too. That could be something to make a diff in enough games to put em over the hump

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
If only Grabs would get a lesson or two from Frans on breakaways...he'd be a 50-goal scorer.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
If only Grabs would get a lesson or two from Frans on breakaways...he'd be a 50-goal scorer.
I never understood that. When you have a guy that is 60% on shoot out AND he's your linemate, you'd think he could potentially learn something from him.

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ
A translated quote from Visnovsky

“I got an offer to stay until the end of the season in Slovan. Consider buying it and do not know how I should answer it. Yet I have to deal with my agent and overseas employers. Very strongly about it I think. While I see if it’s possible. Do not want to do Islanders anything behind your back. discuss and we’ll see how it goes, “said Lubomir Visnovsky.​

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
As someone said on twitter last night "he's campaigning hard to see if he will receive more boos on opening night than DP"

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Isles Depth Chart (lines are kinda screwy)

Streit - Visnovsky
Hamonic - MacDonald
Carkner - Donovan/Ness

But where is Trevor Gillies going to fit in on those lines? They can't leave him out. The man has a family for God's sake!

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
But where is Trevor Gillies going to fit in on those lines? They can't leave him out. The man has a family for God's sake!
he's too busy laughing about raping the shit out of those faggots in Pittsburgh.

Apparently, two years later, their vaginas are still sore

caniseeyourtaint

Passive agressive douche
Feb 26, 2004
Ocean County, NJ

Streit - ??????????
Hamonic - MacDonald
Carkner - Donovan/Ness

Fixed that for you.

Lubomir Visnovsky staying in Russia
NEW YORK -- Veteran defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky is planning to stay in Europe rather than return to the NHL and play for the New York Islanders, his agent confirmed to ESPNNewYork.com.

The 36-year-old, who was acquired by the Islanders via trade this summer, will remain in the Kontinental Hockey League with Bratislava Slovan for family and personal reasons.

"I have decided to stay and continue my career in the KHL for the remainder of the 2012-13 season," Visnovsky said in a statement, via agent Neil Sheehy. "I am thankful to the New York Islanders for being so good to me. My decision not to play in the NHL is due to family and personal reasons. I have made no decisions on next season. My focus now is on Slovan Bratislava, and enjoying my family in my home country."

The NHL and KHL currently have an agreement that all players under NHL contract are obligated to return once the lockout ends. The NHL and NHLPA reached a tentative agreement Sunday morning and hope to have a deal ratified by this weekend.

It is believed Islanders general manager Garth Snow will reach out to Visnovsky to try and convince him to return to the NHL.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/sto...snovsky-staying-khl-return-new-york-islanders

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Bill Daly was asked about it and he was pretty straightforward in saying that, per the NHL-KHL transfer agreement, Visnovsky must report and if he doesn't, he cannot dress for his KHL team. The NHL is contacting the officials at the KHL to ensure that Visnovsky and other players (some others apparently are also contemplating staying) honor their NHL contracts and report to camp.

Big reason why this is happening is because the KHL season is coming down the stretch, and players don't really want to just ditch out on their teams now. Visnovsky is the first player I've heard that flat out, is refusing to report...but I've heard other players are kinda hesitant to move, until they realize they would not be allowed to sign with any club over there since they're supposed to be honoring their NHL contract.

There is really no legal way he can get out of it...unless again, he refuses to report and the Isles toll his contract and make him play here next year. I was also hearing how the KHL is going to try to kiss the NHL's ass because Russia wants NHL players in their Olympics. So, I wouldn't expect the KHL to try to defy the NHL by letting Visnovsky stay and play.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
he's too busy laughing about raping the shit out of those faggots in Pittsburgh.

Apparently, two years later, their vaginas are still sore
Jesus Christ I guess Gillies jokes are off limits for some people. I'm not sure anyone from Pittsburgh are the one with the sore vag two years later.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Arthur Staple says Radek Martinek will be in camp and may sign as insurance. He apparently lives on the Island and loves it here. I'm good with that...for the 20 or so games he's healthy, he's very solid and smart. Wrap him up in bubble wrap and sign him as a 6th/7th dmen.