OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

2013 Rock And Roll HOF Nominees

Discussion in 'Music' started by Absolutely, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

When you think Rock N' Roll, you think
    [​IMG]

Poor poor Kiss... (I think Kiss is the worst)
    It is odd that NWA, Public Enemy are nominated before: Dire Straits, Warren Zevon, Roxie Music, Chicago, etc etc etc

Of the list, I say Procol Harum and I guess Rush, even though I'm no Rush fan

2. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

I love rap, but rappers don't belong in the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame unless they had some kind of important impact on rock (like the Public Enemy and Run-DMC). The same goes for pop acts.

As for the rest of them, it's just another year without an induction for Black Flag, the Bad Brains or Sonic Youth.

3. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

If Rush doesnt get in versus that class of inductees it truly is a fix, and I hate Rush.

4. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

If it shuts Eddie Trunk up for 2 minutes, please let this be the year that Rush and Deep Purple get in.

5. Voodoo Ben

Voodoo Ben You gotta wash your ass

Randy Newman?

really?

6. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

The R&R HoF is a joke.

7. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

One of the things I like the least about Jimmy is his insistence that Kiss should get in. They're a joke and everybody knows it, that's why they're not in it. It's also why they never won a Grammy, or any other award for that matter (one peoples choice award in 1977, that's it). It's rock with training wheels and if you're still a fanboy after the age of 14 you might want to get yourself a genetic screening. Putting Kiss in the hall of fame is like giving pro wrestling an ESPY.

The thing I like the least about the rock hall of fame is that they didn't induct sabbath for so long. It allows Jim to sound semi-legitimate for 2 seconds when he's making his Kiss argument.

8. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

If it's really the Rock And Roll HoF then Kiss should be there
    and acts like Randy Newman, NWA, Donna Summer and The
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band shouldn't even be on the ballot.

The whole thing sucks a dick. It's a joke and I'll never visit it.

9. Kugzilla

Kugzilla Roar. Go: Eagles, Flyers, Philles, Buckeyes, etc.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band--Yeah, don't see it.

Chic: I don't even get this one.

Deep Purple: They'll likely make it. First time nominee, and they had some hits. Not sure who's alive to perform though.

Heart: I actually liked them back in the day-they had some hits and were unique with the sisters at the lead. I would be fine with it.

Joan JEtt and the Blackhearts: I don't see it, unless they decide they need the moment of Bruce playing "Light of day with her and Michael J Fox" since Bruce wrote it.

Albert King: I'm a fan. I'd love to see it.

Kraftwerk: I never liked them, but I get that they were zzzzzzz.

Marvelletes: They were ok, but not all that unique in that genre. So they'll probably get in.

The Meters: I know nothing about this nominee.

Randy Newman: NEver liked him at all. Don't care.

NWA-They weren't Run DMC or Public Enemy, but were interesting at the time. I never cared for them, but they'll probably get in just for the moment.

Procol Harum: One great song about nothing. Don't see it.

Public Enemy: Absolutely. Love to see it, if for no other reason than Flav at the concert. Could be your headliner.

Rush: I don't like them, but they deserve to be in.

Donna Summer: She's dead now, so I'm sure they'll put her in. I actually still have a 45 of "Hot Stuff" and her going in wouldn't bother me I guess.

#9 Kugzilla, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  10. Cunt Smasher

Cunt Smasher Caligula Jr.

Deep Purple and Rush are way overdue, Heart, well...OK. the rest can suck a dick.
    What about Eazy-E's guitar solo in "fuck tha police"? Fucking killer, ain't it?
    Edit:Kraftwerk did some good things, were a bit ahead of their time and very original.

11. Kugzilla

I've gone to Cleveland once or twice a year for the last 20 years. Still haven't gone, and I'm a music guy.

I liken it to the WWE Hall of Fame-the only people in it are people they want in it.

I've enjoyed some of the concerts over the years though. An NWA-PE throwdown could be fun.

I don't love Kiss, but yeah, they should be there if Alice Cooper is there.

12. Kugzilla

Kraftwerk wouldn't bother me, though I can't listen to them. I put them in the same category as the movie "Citizen Kane." Something that's clearly well-put-together, and inovative, that I don't like.

13. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

Another band that I don't real consider rock.
    I liked some of their stuff but they certainly aren't R&R HoF worthy.

14. Douche McGee

Like was said earlier, I don't like when they nominate people who don't rock or roll. The Beastie Boys make sense as a rap act to get in, Run DMC makes sense as a rap act to get in, Public Enemy makes sense as a rap act to get in. NWA doesn't make sense. What influence on rock music did they have? I understand that the definition or rock changes and rap and rock can both be traced back to the blues, but it still bugs me.

As far as Kiss being in, think they should if only for what they have done for the live show. Before Kiss, seeing a band live was just seeing the guys play live. Sure, Alice Cooper was around before them, but I honestly don't know how extravagant his shows were before Kiss. Kiss put on a show that people remember. And today, bands like Slipknot, Mushroomhead, Mudvayne, and GWAR all have or had some theatrics to their shows that was more than just a few guys standing on a stage playing music. That being said, I hate Kiss and "Detroit Rock City" is their only good song.

15. Kugzilla

I've never really considered them a Rock and Roll hall. As much as I love Simon and Garfunkel, for example, they aren't a Rock act.

I think a better name for the place would have been the Music Hall of fame and left it at that, but they were trying to be hip.

I like the fact that they have honored guys like Buddy Guy and Miles DAvis and so forth.

It's a weird group of people that make these "choices."

16. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

That's pretty much my problem with it. Call it the Music HoF
    and it makes sense. As a R&R HoF it just doesn't make sense.

17. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

When Madonna was inducted a couple of years ago, that's when I thought they should have changed the name to the Music HOF. It just makes more sense and we wouldn't have to go through this every year.

18. Reaper G

Reaper G POW# 126

If you just want to call it the Music Hall of Fame, then Mozart, Beethoven, Rodgers & Hammerstein, and Frank Sinatra should go in.

I'm fine with rappers in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. In theory, the RnR HOF should be about acts from the rock era (1955 on), or who have been an influence on rock or were influenced by rock and its pioneers. NWA sounds nothing at all like Led Zeppelin, but they ultimately came from the same place.

So who would I vote for from these?
    P.E.
    Rush (not my favorite, everyone praises their talents, but the whole might not be as great as the sum of their parts)
    Deep Purple
    Albert King (gotta get the old blues guys in)
    Either Summer or Chic, I can go either way.

Kraftwerk? I hate house music/techno which they pioneered, but there's no denying their influence.
    Randy Newman? A brilliantly acerbic lyricist before he did Disney soundtracks.
    The Meters? Good stuff, but not so well known outside New Orleans.

What I want to know is, when are SRV and the E Street Band going in?

19. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Rock and roll covers a lot of ground. I have no issue with rap acts being in. Excluding Rush, Deep Purple and Kiss is a fucking crime, however. Sabbath having to wait 10 years is even worse.

20. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

So did GG Allen. That doesn't his or KISS' music suck any less.

21. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

Do people really go to live shows to see theatrics or a stage show?
    It's a whole other topic, but still. Maybe it's because almost every band I see has zero stage show, but whether or not they stood there like a statue or had shit going on during the show wouldn't matter to me either way.

I don' think anyone should get consideration because they were the first to put a giant replica tongue on stage that the band slid down (Made up, but perhaps they do that), or fire on stage, etc.

Now shit-play, I'm willing to concede validation...

22. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

Public Enemy worked with Anthrax, sampled bands like Slayer, had lots of heavy metal style beats from Terminator X and the Bomb Squad and on and on. I don't mind them being in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They were a big time inspiration for crossover and nu metal.

I do however take issue with Run DMC and NWA. Hell, Ice T with lots of his rap songs but particularly his work with the spinoff Body Count makes much more sense than Run DMC and NWA, right? If you want Black guys in don't force the issue. There are lots of worthy bands that aren't in yet that had Black talent and half the Hall of Fame is Black.

It has been 26 years and there isn't one extreme/industrial/heavy metal act in there, really.
    Sabbath and Metallica are ultimately just too big to deny.

When are they going to take the plunge and put in a band like say, Napalm Death or Godflesh?
    Or maybe they don't have to go deep tracks (i get that it is deep tracks but do they really gotta go that deep?!!! :action-sm) and put in a band like Motorhead?
    The complete ignoring of bands of that influence and caliber for people like I don't know, Madonna, is mind-blowing. Well, it took 'em 20 fuckin' years for Black Sabbath and Metallica in the ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME so sometime around moon colonization would be my guess.

#22 Neckbeard, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  23. mills

mills I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness

Never gave much thought to this topic, so that point's probably been made a million times, but it's a damn good one.

However if you are going to move past the genre problem and include all the newer genres, I'll say this about NWA. They weren't as dynamic and certainly weren't as artistic as PE (who i like better), but they were more influential to that genre. Aspiring rappers all listened to and learned from PE, but they wanted to be NWA.

[/softball]

24. Absolutely

Absolutely Self-Heavy

Wassat?

25. Neckbeard

Neckbeard I'm Team Piggy!

Well, you aren't eligible until 25 years after your first album release. Now lots of grind, industrial, thrash and death metal acts meet that criteria and you can make that as diverse as you want.

Sepultura (1984, Bestial Devastation)
    Death (Scream Bloody Gore in 1987, they are now eligible for induction)
    Napalm Death (Scum in '87)
    "Teutonic"/German thrash bands

Every U.K. 82 band has been eligible for 5 years now. The band that immediately springs to mind for induction is Discharge.

Edit: Death is going to be the next major snub by the Hall. They'll freeze that band out for at least a decade, if they ever acknowledge it at all. There are three snubs that absolutely baffle me and make the Rush and Deep Purple stuff look like nothing. Motorhead, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. All those bands have been getting snubbed for around 20 years now. Also, I like Kraftwerk but Kraftwerk going into the hall before Kreator or KMFDM as a German rock act is crazy talk.

#25 Neckbeard, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012