2014 Huntin' and Killin' with Jimbo and Ned

Haeder

South Dakota
September 1st - opening day of dove season and goose season where I live in South Dakota. Some of my relatives shot 19 geese this morning. I slept in.

Going dove hunting with my son this evening. Picked up some dove decoys from Cabelas this weekend. Anxious to see how they work.

TomC

uppity neobarb
Deer season started August 15, seen 6 deer crossing the road in the last two weeks.

"Deer season varies in South Carolina depending on the region of the state. In the lower part of the state, called Game Zones 3, 5 and 6, hunting season opens on Aug. 15. In the rest of the state, the hunting season opens by Sept. 15. The last day of deer season is Jan. 1."

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
September 1st - opening day of dove season and goose season where I live in South Dakota. Some of my relatives shot 19 geese this morning. I slept in.

Going dove hunting with my son this evening. Picked up some dove decoys from Cabelas this weekend. Anxious to see how they work.
thats funny, as i was getting out of the shower this morning i thought "today is the opening day of dove season" then i dried off and went on with my day. there is no were to hunt around here anymore, "back in the day" it was a right of passage to go down to the local corn field and sit on a bucket till your ass burned and when the one poor dove or tweety bird flew over fill the sky with flak and see what happened, usually just a waste of lead. its a shame really, hell you cant even discharge a firearm in my mom's neighborhood anymore with out some dick head busy body calling the cops.

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
Bear season here. Might be the last time you can bait, trap or use hounds here. My brother does it but I have no interest. Those fuckers stink.

THE FEZ MAN

Bear season here. Might be the last time you can bait, trap or use hounds here. My brother does it but I have no interest. Those fuckers stink.
a "friend" more like acquaintance of mine used to go somewhere and hunt trash bears, i do think it was maine and you are correct not only did they stink on the out side the inside / meat smelled and tasted like rotten garbage. he told me a story one time how he got bored waiting for the bear to take its head out of the trash can so he just shot it anyway with a rear quartering shot and ended up blasting its entire insides apart into it and ruined almost every scrap of meat. he doesnt care he's a "trophy hunter" im not a big fan of him

doomvulture

Lord of Jailbait
a "friend" more like acquaintance of mine used to go somewhere and hunt trash bears, i do think it was maine and you are correct not only did they stink on the out side the inside / meat smelled and tasted like rotten garbage. he told me a story one time how he got bored waiting for the bear to take its head out of the trash can so he just shot it anyway with a rear quartering shot and ended up blasting its entire insides apart into it and ruined almost every scrap of meat. he doesnt care he's a "trophy hunter" im not a big fan of him
I have nothing against those methods of hunting and I will be voting against banning them this fall. I just have no desire to shoot one. Even the 'good' meat I tried was not worth eating and so greasy it almost squirts out of your mouth when you bite it. If I were to try it, it would be with a bow but I would have to get past my fear of being eaten.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Talking about killing? Y'all experts? Y'all know about killing? I'd like to hear about it, potheads.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
My wife and boy got cow elk tags that started August 1. I've been guiding them. Yay. They each got a shot at 140 yards and missed then missed easy opportunities at closer ranges several times without firing. I could grab a rifle and shoot a bunch but it's his first hunt and she has killed elk before but is waiting for him to shoot first.

Saturday the wolf and lion and bear and grouse and rabbit seasons opened. It also hailed on our journey through the mountains. Today after elk hunting and missing some more chances he took his recurve bow and made a great 12 yard shot on a bunny with a rubber blunt, and I smell frying rabbit right now.

Haeder

South Dakota
Gleet wins!

Dove hunt was a bust. Rained out shortly after we set up. Doves came to the decoys but we shot poorly. Got three with about a dozen shots.

Haeder

South Dakota
Been shooting my bow for about a week now. Takes that long to get to the point of not being sore after shooting. Archery deer season opens the last weekend of September and this is going to be the first year I've ever hunted the first weekend of the season.

Bugs are usually too bad.

Planning to pick up a Thermacell this year. Everyone that has one claims they are the best bug repellent on the market. Anxious to find out if they work as advertised.

Those Thermacells are awesome. I'm taking the bow hunting season off this year, winter kill in northern Wisconsin was brutual. DNR is only giving out buck tags for both gun and bow seasons. On our game cameras we had very few does and only one fawn(cameras have been out since May).

THE FEZ MAN

i bought the one that off makes for my old lady to clip to her chair when we are out back buy the pool it seems to work well. she's the sweet meat most of the time the mosquitos don't attack me its the little gnats that fuck with me. we are having a picnic after our wedding I'm planning on buying a bunch of those and spraying everything around the yard with bug control right before the party i can't stand people bitching about bugs

Haeder

South Dakota
Youth duck season opens this weekend.

Just returned from a scouting trip and we saw hundreds of ducks plus enough geese to make things exciting. Probably going to hunt Saturday evening and Sunday morning. Oldest son is 14 and he's fired up to shotgun some ducks.

I'm excited for him too.

We went out on opening day of dove season here, September 1st. We hunted all day without seeing more than 1 bird at a time until the last field we found at about 5pm. Turned the corner from the trail and the field was loaded, too bad we all suck at shooting. We ended up with 6 birds after god-knows-how-many shells. Fun day anyhow.
I am excited for bow season here, starts October 1st and will be my first year to attempt an archery kill.

Haeder

South Dakota
I am excited for bow season here, starts October 1st and will be my first year to attempt an archery kill.
You will learn more about deer and deer hunting in one season of archery hunting than you have in your entire life. I'd be more than happy to help you out if you have any questions.

What kind of bow are you shooting?

You will learn more about deer and deer hunting in one season of archery hunting than you have in your entire life. I'd be more than happy to help you out if you have any questions.

What kind of bow are you shooting?
I bought a used Mathews Switchback. Octane rest, quiver and 3-pin sight. I can't remember the brand of sight.
I have been shooting it on and off all summer trying to get comfortable. I can hit my target, not a bullseye exactly but within a 6"-8" circle, at distances anywhere from 20-40 yards so I feel pretty confident I have the ability to make a kill shot. I do understand that's standing in my front yard though, not in a stand staring down a live animal. I'm mostly afraid of getting too excited when I finally have one within range.

Haeder

South Dakota
Make sure to practice shooting from your ground blind or tree stand or whereevere you shoot from at a 3-D deer target. Stupid deer don't have a bullseye covering their vitals. I practice using the hoof-leg-body-shoot method:

1-draw your bow and aim at the front hoof

2-follow the back of the leg up to the body

3-settle your pin 1/3 of the way up the body

4-shoot

Works perfectly every time for broadside or quartering-away shots.

The front hoof is easy to find. It's always at the bottom of that front leg. Following the back of the leg will bring you up to the body of the deer and into the heart/lung/liver area. Those vital organs are located in the lower 1/2 of the deers body. Settling your aim into the lower 1/3 of the body will put the arrow into the center of the vitals. The 6-8" group you are shooting will result in a lethal shot. A little high or forward will still get both lungs. A little back will get the liver. A little low will take out the heart.

I use this routine because it is easy to remember and repeat and always puts your arrow in a lethal area. It also takes my mind off of shooting an animal and forces me to concentrate on properly completing a shooting routine that I've practiced hundreds of times.

And don't forget to shoot your broadheads before you go hunting. They might not fly the same as your field points. I've only made this mistake once. Missed a damn nice buck twice in a matter of seconds at 15 yards because my broadheads hit almost a foot below my field points.

Make sure to practice shooting from your ground blind or tree stand or whereevere you shoot from at a 3-D deer target. Stupid deer don't have a bullseye covering their vitals. I practice using the hoof-leg-body-shoot method:

1-draw your bow and aim at the front hoof

2-follow the back of the leg up to the body

3-settle your pin 1/3 of the way up the body

4-shoot

Works perfectly every time for broadside or quartering-away shots.

The front hoof is easy to find. It's always at the bottom of that front leg. Following the back of the leg will bring you up to the body of the deer and into the heart/lung/liver area. Those vital organs are located in the lower 1/2 of the deers body. Settling your aim into the lower 1/3 of the body will put the arrow into the center of the vitals. The 6-8" group you are shooting will result in a lethal shot. A little high or forward will still get both lungs. A little back will get the liver. A little low will take out the heart.

I use this routine because it is easy to remember and repeat and always puts your arrow in a lethal area. It also takes my mind off of shooting an animal and forces me to concentrate on properly completing a shooting routine that I've practiced hundreds of times.

And don't forget to shoot your broadheads before you go hunting. They might not fly the same as your field points. I've only made this mistake once. Missed a damn nice buck twice in a matter of seconds at 15 yards because my broadheads hit almost a foot below my field points.
Thanks for the tip. Those are definitely some things I need to do in the time leading up to the season. I have been shooting a few arrows that came with the bow, with field points. I plan to get about a dozen arrows that are identical and start shooting broad-heads in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tip. Those are definitely some things I need to do in the time leading up to the season. I have been shooting a few arrows that came with the bow, with field points. I plan to get about a dozen arrows that are identical and start shooting broad-heads in the next couple of weeks.
Haeder nailed it with those tips. Another thing I would add is to practice with your hunting clothes /long johns on while shooting. A lot of people will practice in Tshirts but when they have that extra bulk on they tend to hit the side of the jacket or the arm(personal experience starting out and missed the deer).

Haeder

South Dakota
I've had good luck with Magnus broadheads. Been shooting the 125 grain 4 blade buzzcut the last 5-6 years.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/categories/Stinger-Buzzcut/

They fly good for me and they carry a lifetime guarantee. If you ruin one just mail it back to the factory and they'll replace it for you at no cost.

http://www.magnusbroadheads.com/lifetime-guarantee/

My arrow went through the body of a deer and did this to the leg bone on the other side on the way out.

Haeder nailed it with those tips. Another thing I would add is to practice with your hunting clothes /long johns on while shooting. A lot of people will practice in Tshirts but when they have that extra bulk on they tend to hit the side of the jacket or the arm(personal experience starting out and missed the deer).
I have actually done a little of this, it was cold when I bought the bow but I haven't been able to go out in my camo for about 4 months now. I will need to start dressing out for practice sessions again soon since the temp is falling.

My arrow went through the body of a deer and did this to the leg bone on the other side on the way out.

Holy shit, that is a wound right there. Most tips I see are 100 grain so I am sure a 125 would fly very differently than what I am used to.

Haeder

South Dakota
Heading to the pond to throw out decoys for an evening hunt. I'd rarely throw out six dozen decoys for myself but I want the kid to hammer some ducks. It's windy. 20+ mph winds from the northwest. Perfect for our spot.

Should be a good shoot.

Haeder

South Dakota
Good hunt yesterday.

The boy folded a drake mallard with his first shot. Went for a double and whiffed on the second. Missed his next four shots then connected on a bluewing teal. The last three shots were no good. Ended the first duck hunt of the year with two ducks. Not a bad outing.

Helping out with an estate auction this afternoon. The boy has his eye on an old side by side 12 gauge and has hundreds in cash. This means I might be acquiring a shotgun and stealing his money to pay. I'll share it with him - of course.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I took my boy on a wolf hunt last week. All we found were tracks. He took along his new 17 HMR rifle for grouse because we weren't picky. Ended up blowing the heads clean off 3 of them. Mighty tasty. Thursday I found a massive Boone and Crockett bear turd in little canyon, he had been eating rose hips. I think we will go look for him this evening.

Haeder

South Dakota
I took my boy on a wolf hunt last week. All we found were tracks. He took along his new 17 HMR rifle for grouse because we weren't picky. Ended up blowing the heads clean off 3 of them. Mighty tasty. Thursday I found a massive Boone and Crockett bear turd in little canyon, he had been eating rose hips. I think we will go look for him this evening.
Ruffed grouse?

Hope so. They are delicious. Spruce grouse are not. They smell like potpourri when cooking and taste like they smell. I would rather gnaw on the bark of a spruce tree.