2014 Huntin' and Killin' with Jimbo and Ned

I broke down and bought a rangefinder. I was messing around shooting my target and realized my distance judging sucks ass and will cost me a deer. I have enough shortfalls in my hunting ability, I will let technology help with one of them.

Haven't updated in a while, I killed my first deer right before Thanksgiving. Nothing to write home about, a 3 point (should have been 6) buck. I mistook him for an older buck we have around the property who only grows antlers on one side. Turns out he was a younger guy who had busted off one of his horns but I didn't know that til after I dropped him with the 30-30.
We have had 6 or 8 meals from the little feller so far. Heart and liver are not great, backstraps are amazing and chili is pretty dam good too. Still have several packages of various cuts and ground stuff in the freezer.

Next goal is to bag one with the bow.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
I took my boy looking for an elk this morning. Got there and he had forgotten his musket caps. We came back home. Waste of an hour.

Haeder

South Dakota
Haven't updated in a while, I killed my first deer right before Thanksgiving. Nothing to write home about, a 3 point (should have been 6) buck. I mistook him for an older buck we have around the property who only grows antlers on one side. Turns out he was a younger guy who had busted off one of his horns but I didn't know that til after I dropped him with the 30-30.
We have had 6 or 8 meals from the little feller so far. Heart and liver are not great, backstraps are amazing and chili is pretty dam good too. Still have several packages of various cuts and ground stuff in the freezer.

That is fantastic. Congrats!

I cut the backstraps into steaks about an inch thick and cook them to medium rare on the grill. Delicious. The tenderloins are very good too. The rest I have ground into burger or made into sausage or jerky.

Best of luck with the bow. I'm planning to make a trip to see my uncle next weekend and to try to shoot a deer with my bow on his ground.

Thanks guys, I was pretty stoked. I was shaking like a leaf after I dropped him. The only thing that kind of sucked was I hit him high, through a lung and into his spine which cut the backstraps in half. I ended up season and grilling the straps and tenderloins whole on the grill til about med rare and sliced them thin. It was excellent. I ground a good bit of what was left but I also froze some whole muscle sections so I can either grind or jerky later on. The butchering was a serious chore, more work then I expected since I have never handled an entire animal before.

Haeder

South Dakota
Thanks guys, I was pretty stoked. I was shaking like a leaf after I dropped him. The only thing that kind of sucked was I hit him high, through a lung and into his spine which cut the backstraps in half. I ended up season and grilling the straps and tenderloins whole on the grill til about med rare and sliced them thin. It was excellent. I ground a good bit of what was left but I also froze some whole muscle sections so I can either grind or jerky later on. The butchering was a serious chore, more work then I expected since I have never handled an entire animal before.
The meat is much easier to work with when it is nearly frozen. Make sure to trim away as much of the silverskin as you can before cooking to eliminate some of the gamey flavor in the meat. One of the guys we hunt with butchers our deer at no cost.

The only thing he charges us for is the spices or casings that he needs to make jerky or summer sausage or brats. It's a truly wonderful service.

gleet

Wait a minute, it was your first? Congratulations. I thought you meant first of the season.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Congratulations, sir. I didn't realize you meant first ever.

The meat is much easier to work with when it is nearly frozen. Make sure to trim away as much of the silverskin as you can before cooking to eliminate some of the gamey flavor in the meat. One of the guys we hunt with butchers our deer at no cost.

The only thing he charges us for is the spices or casings that he needs to make jerky or summer sausage or brats. It's a truly wonderful service.
That is an excellent service, I would almost pay if I knew I would like the final product that someone else meant.

Yeah this was my first ever deer, lol. I moved to Oklahoma about 3 years ago and had never been hunting in my life. I decided to get out and figure it out on my own. I did a lot of reading online forums, and some watching TV shows (pretty much just Meat Eater, I like Steven Rinella since he cooks everything he kills on the show) but mostly I spent a shit load of time in the woods. Screwing up, getting busted, watching deer and learning from fuck ups. It has been a lot of fun even though it took me two and a half seasons to get one.

gleet

That is an excellent service, I would almost pay if I knew I would like the final product that someone else meant.

Yeah this was my first ever deer, lol. I moved to Oklahoma about 3 years ago and had never been hunting in my life. I decided to get out and figure it out on my own. I did a lot of reading online forums, and some watching TV shows (pretty much just Meat Eater, I like Steven Rinella since he cooks everything he kills on the show) but mostly I spent a shit load of time in the woods. Screwing up, getting busted, watching deer and learning from fuck ups. It has been a lot of fun even though it took me two and a half seasons to get one.

Haeder

South Dakota

Nice!

Here's what I know to be true about deer: they have an amazing ability to detect movement, you can't reliably fool their noses, their ears are better than their eyes on a calm day and they don't taste good when overcooked.

When archery hunting, choose a stand location with lots of foliage behind you. This will help break up your outline and make it harder for deer to figure out what you are. Especially when the wind is calm.

gleet

Yesterday we found a herd of 200 elks crossing the road from a field to the BLM. I went up against the mountains 2 miles away and they came up the far draw while we were in the near draw. Half mile of billiard table between us making for poor sneakiness. This morning before light we went to the far draw and awaited them and scanned the fields below. Nothing. Finally hiked back and found fresh shit and tracks in the near draw, they had come out before we ever arrived.

Haeder

South Dakota
Yesterday we found a herd of 200 elks crossing the road from a field to the BLM. I went up against the mountains 2 miles away and they came up the far draw while we were in the near draw. Half mile of billiard table between us making for poor sneakiness. This morning before light we went to the far draw and awaited them and scanned the fields below. Nothing. Finally hiked back and found fresh shit and tracks in the near draw, they had come out before we ever arrived.
Damn protesters!

I am hoping we get some cold soon. Second wave of duck season starts Saturday and it is 60 degrees out right now.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$

Congratulations

gleet

I am hoping we get some cold soon. Second wave of duck season starts Saturday and it is 60 degrees out right now.
The foot of snow on the low ground melted and it's raining hard now.

Haeder

South Dakota

Zero degrees. Feels like 20 below. Last year for the oldest boy to participate in the youth goose hunt. He and his buddy were just bitching about being bored sitting in the truck. Now that the geese are flying the kids and guides are in the layout blinds and it's gotta be painfully cold out there.

I just rolled down the window to let some of the heat out.

gleet

I took the wife and kid to a stack yard getting attacked by jackrabbits last night. It was 8 degrees but they still got cold too fast for a real massacre. The dogs ate good anyway.

Haeder

South Dakota
First flock came to the hunters. No circling. Straight to the decoys. Lots of shooting and some geese were even killed.

Haeder

South Dakota
Layout blinds for the boy and his hunting party today.

Five hunters with two guides shot limits of geese over several hundred decoys in two hours. The group shot horribly or they would have been done in half the time. Happy campers - the lot of 'em.