2015 Fishing Thread

Packing up to head down to the lower Illinois River and Tenkiller Lake her in Oklahoma. They stock the LI with trout and Tenkiller is home to multiple state record Stripers and Largemouth. Hopefully be posting some pics after the weekend. Or I will just drink beer and sweat my balls off.
The lack of followup/pics should let you know how this trip went... I caught one tiny catfish, he was barely longer than my hand and I literally dropped it in the middle of attempting to take a pic of my piss poor catch. He did put up a hell of a fight on my trout tackle (ultralight pole and 2# equivalent braid).

My son did catch this little feller in the White River on our vacation a couple weeks ago though.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Very hurtful sir. Also very true.

How nobody fell through the non-foamed portion of the floor of that boat escapes me.
Totally not meant to be hurtful sir. I was recently reading an acquaintance's obit and recalled all the preceded shit.

I don't have much experience with decked boats of that nature but do recall a bass boat a long time ago with 3/4" exterior ply floors and indoor-outdoor carpet on it. Lots of storage underneath. You sure 1/2" is manly enough for heavy feets? If it was the hull it could be 1/4" because the water pushes back but air doesn't.

Haeder

South Dakota
Totally not meant to be hurtful sir. I was recently reading an acquaintance's obit and recalled all the preceded shit.

I don't have much experience with decked boats of that nature but do recall a bass boat a long time ago with 3/4" exterior ply floors and indoor-outdoor carpet on it. Lots of storage underneath. You sure 1/2" is manly enough for heavy feets? If it was the hull it could be 1/4" because the water pushes back but air doesn't.
I pahhhhhhhh-don you. Say 27 Rosaries and all will be forgiven. Your joke was funny and mean spirited and totally acceptable here.

Yes, I'm sure the 1/2" plywood is thick enough. There are two compartments that were built on top of the original floor. The gap between the aluminum ribs and the bottom of the compartments is 1/2".

Laid down a sheet of old 1/2" particleboard and it was nice and sturdy. Strong enough for a tubby friend with tummybulgy-ness to stand on witbout worry. The plywood will rest directly on the foam that fills the hull and that will make the entire floor extremely solid.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
i wouldn't worry about using half inch on that floor, you might want to glue it down while your at it.

Haeder

South Dakota
i wouldn't worry about using half inch on that floor, you might want to glue it down while your at it.
1/2" marine plywood should result in an adequately strong floor.

I'm planning to cut, fit and drill seat and vent holes in the plywood, glue the carpet to the plywood using an all weather outdoor carpet adhesive, trim as necessary then screw the carpeted plywood into place. Not planning to glue the plywood down as it may need to be removed sometime in the future to access the fuel tank.

THE FEZ MAN

1/2" marine plywood should result in an adequately strong floor.

I'm planning to cut, fit and drill seat and vent holes in the plywood, glue the carpet to the plywood using an all weather outdoor carpet adhesive, trim as necessary then screw the carpeted plywood into place. Not planning to glue the plywood down as it may need to be removed sometime in the future to access the fuel tank.
sounds perfect

Haeder

South Dakota
Back to it after taking a few weeks off.

Wound up replacing the floor with four separate pieces. Used about a sheet and a half of 1/2" marine grade plywood to complete the job. The first piece is about 12"x24" and was used to replace the floor under the screened storage area at the back of the boat where the hydraulic pump and starting battery live.

The largest piece was about 4'x6' with only one irregular corner. The small hole - the closest one - was cut with a 1" hole saw. The other holes were started with a 1 1/2" hole saw and sized properly to the hole in the aluminum plate below with a router.

The farthest front piece is only half carpeted. The uncovered portion is barely seen in the picture below and is located inside of a sheltered storage area. The oddly shaped and entirely uncovered piece between the two carpeted areas was the final piece to be installed. This one was a pain in the ass. Lots of odd cuts to be made to make it fit. Used a scrap of $5 particleboard to make a template for this one before hacking into the $50 sheet of marine grade plywood.

Used stainless steel screws and washers to fasten everything down. My shop vac took a shit on me so there's still a mess of sawdust and aluminum shavings to be cleaned up.

Another pic of the re-finished floor with seats installed. I'll be building the steering console out of treated 2"x12" lumber that was leftover from a recent deck build. The console will be carpeted as well. That won't be nearly as time consuming as replacing the floor. I've got 16-20 hours wrapped into this project so far. Probably 2-3 hours away from completion.

THE FEZ MAN

looks good, I'm going to hit AI again this weekend, it would be nice to fucking catch something

Haeder

South Dakota
looks good, I'm going to hit AI again this weekend, it would be nice to fucking catch something
How far (hours/minutes) do you have to travel for good fishing?

I'm an hour and a half from the Missouri River. It's not really a river with a narrow channel and lots of current but a series of reservoirs and dams. The river is miles wide in most of the places I fish and 50+ feet of water isn't hard to find. Great fishing for walleye, smallmouth bass and white bass.

Hope to have the boat completed in the next few weeks in time for fall fishing.

THE FEZ MAN

Went out this morning we ha d a lot of action but never landed a fish, the high point of the day was me having to shit on the beach. I felt like poor Opie, me guttel works are all fucked up, my ibs flares when I know I have to deal with my mother in law, we weren't there 30mins and I had to shit so bad I was afrade I was going to shit myself I just dug a hole and squatted in front of my truck . Luckily fo me the people on that side of us were a good 300yards away, I think I'm going to get one of those potty tents

THE FEZ MAN

Think I might head down this weekend, we have been tied up almost every weekend since the end of August I've got 150$ worth of bass pro gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, I'm thinking of buying a high end surf rod, now I'm using a 30year old Sears game fisher I'm thinking st croix or the same diawa my wife has, I just bought two new penn reels so I don't need one of those

Haeder

South Dakota
Think I might head down this weekend, we have been tied up almost every weekend since the end of August I've got 150$ worth of bass pro gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, I'm thinking of buying a high end surf rod, now I'm using a 30year old Sears game fisher I'm thinking st croix or the same diawa my wife has, I just bought two new penn reels so I don't need one of those
I could never go back to an el-cheapo fishing rod. No sensitivity, poor balance, bad eyelets - not for me.

Find a handful of fishing rods in your price range and narrow it down to the few that feel the best in your hand then pick the one with the highest quality eyelet material. If you take a close look at the eyes on your 30 year old Sears game fisher you'll be amazed that your line doesn't fray and wear and break more often.

THE FEZ MAN

I could never go back to an el-cheapo fishing rod. No sensitivity, poor balance, bad eyelets - not for me.

Find a handful of fishing rods in your price range and narrow it down to the few that feel the best in your hand then pick the one with the highest quality eyelet material. If you take a close look at the eyes on your 30 year old Sears game fisher you'll be amazed that your line doesn't fray and wear and break more often.
What is kind of interesting is its holding up well, "back in the day" Sears contracted good stuff, a friend of mine has a similar age fenwick, laying both rods next to one another there is no difference except the name even the wrappings are identical, now I do have a cheepo ugly stick I hate that hunk of shit. The eyes are holding up well even though I don't take care of it, my wife has the new diawa and I love it nice and light with a nice snappy action

THE FEZ MAN

Caught one blue fish that was stealing bait I chopped him up for bait and that was it, going to go back tomorrow morning

THE FEZ MAN

Had a run of sand sharks biggest one was about 24" not much fight but at least we got somethings

THE FEZ MAN

saturday morning on assitigue island, now that is my idea of a day at the beach

gleet

saturday morning on assitigue island, now that is my idea of a day at the beach
Did you get a shot of that giant penguin that waddled by and left those tracks?

THE FEZ MAN

I used to catch those little sharks while drifting for flounder. I found them more fun than flounder fishing.
since we have been skunked for most of the summer catching anything was great, we were actually striper fishing but the sharks were stealing our bait so i switched rigs and just started catching the sharks. i think we caught 4 or 5 before the bite died off. we missed the high tide and got there as it was starting to bottom out and slack off, basically the story of my life with fishing.

Haeder

South Dakota
Well, I'm going to start ice fishing again.

Oldest son is 15 and he started talking about ice fishing a lot a few weeks ago. He wanted to take advantage of a Black Friday deal on a small shack, sled and chair deal for $180 so we went to check it out together. The setup was crap. Told him I'd split the cost of a much better one with him and we left the store with a $600 Otter XT Cabin.

Picked up a Marcum VX-1i flasher a couple days later too that was on sale for $270. Next purchase is a new ice auger. Got my eye on an Eskimo HC40 propane auger with an 8" diameter drill. That will wind up setting me back another $400. Mix in a propane heater, some new rods, a bundle of tackle and some miscellaneous stuff and I'll be $1,500 in before wetting the first line.

gleet

Well, I'm going to start ice fishing again.

Oldest son is 15 and he started talking about ice fishing a lot a few weeks ago. He wanted to take advantage of a Black Friday deal on a small shack, sled and chair deal for $180 so we went to check it out together. The setup was crap. Told him I'd split the cost of a much better one with him and we left the store with a $600 Otter XT Cabin.

Picked up a Marcum VX-1i flasher a couple days later too that was on sale for $270. Next purchase is a new ice auger. Got my eye on an Eskimo HC40 propane auger with an 8" diameter drill. That will wind up setting me back another $400. Mix in a propane heater, some new rods, a bundle of tackle and some miscellaneous stuff and I'll be $1,500 in before wetting the first line.
We went ice fishing last year. Caught over 50 pounds the first day. Tried to cook it and flooded the fucking kitchen.

/old joke

Those Marcums are sposed to be the bee's knees.

Haeder

South Dakota
Bought a new ice auger yesterday. Eskimo HC40 with an 8" drill. It runs off of those little green 1 pound propane bottles. Bought an adapter that can be used to refill the 1 pound bottles from a 20 pound tank. Shortly after leaving the store, I saw open water on a lake. Oh well. The cold weather will settle in soon.

THE FEZ MAN

It rarely gets cold enough long enough to bother with ice fishing around here so I've never bothered

Haeder

South Dakota
First ice fishing trip of the season this evening. On the ice at 4pm. Off at 6pm. Ice is 10" thick and the temp was just on either side of zero. The heater kept the inside of the shack comfy. Had the top part of the door zipped open the entire time.

We caught and released a dozen walleye. All small. Biggest fish was 13". Smallest was 7". Jigging spoons tipped with minnow heads. The boy had great fun watching fish come and go on the flasher. It was a blast.

Had to drag the shack over railroad tracks and through knee deep snow to get on and off the ice. That was not a blast. Shack is a lot heavier than it looks and I'm starting to feel the aching hands of Father Time slow me down.

Going back out again soon.