2018 Game Awards and the Kinda Funny Games Showcase

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I decided to combine these into one thread since they are happening the same week.

Game Awards:

This is usually pretty fun every year. The awards themselves are ....whatever. But the industry is filled with, erm, colorful personalities.

They are also announcing ten new games, of course any one of those could be an indy. Rumor has it that Rocksteady's new game will be one of them (The Arkham Guys). So we may finally find out if a Superman game is in the works.

Could also have the announcement of the Dreams Beta and full release dates. Another rumor has the Beta being dropped on that day or "tomorrow" (Friday). Sony is not doing PSX or E3 this year, so this is really the only event they could do it.

Destiny has also recently announced a whole year of DLC and events, I expect a deep dive into that. Probably full details of the Fortnite winter events as well.

Not sure if we will get anything from Nintendo. Some rumors have Animal Crossing details being at the show, but Nintendo doesn't play nice with others. Not sure if they will show the first dive into a tentpole game in someone else's event. They like their Directs too much.

Xbox has been oddly quiet....which usually means they are about to spring something. I don't think they have another event before PAX East, but they have their youtube show they like to talk about updates on. So Xbox will either come big, or not at all.

It's Dec. 6th at 5:30 p.m. PST. Running live on twitch.

And if you don't want the raw feed, I recommend the Kinda Funny Games twitch feed. They do "talk overs" of most major gaming events.

Speaking of them.....

The Kinda Funny Games Showcase.

It started as a gag. Since Sony decided not to do PSX this year, they joked that they would hold their own even for all the indys (and anyone else) who wants a platform.

By the end of the day it was real and they are showcasing 60 games.

It's December 8th at 10:00 a.m. on the Kinda Funny Games Twitch feed. All the details are here:

https://www.kindafunny.com/kinda-funny-games-showcase/

BIV

Just a reminder that this is tomorrow.

BIV

BIV

BIV

Seems like I'm the only one who cares about "E3 in December." Lol

I'm annoyed that I'll be at work. I'll have to avoid spoilers until I get home.

BIV

First, some non-trailer highlights.

Phil Spencer, Reggie and Shawn Layden going on stage at the same time was a cool way to start. Nothing much more to it, but i don't think they have ever been on stage together.

God of War winning both Best Direction and GotY was unexpected and well deserved. Everyone assumed Red Dead was going to steamroll. Happy for Cory Barlog. He's always seemed to be a cool dude.

Christopher Judge and Sunny Suljic presenting was pretty funny if you played God of War.

The musical numbers were, generally, on point. They seemed to have learned a lesson from Bethesda's E3 conference and made sure to have plenty of gameplay on screen and not just the music. The the music was cool as well, though I think they dropped the ball with the first number, the music from the new Smash game. Never do music for an unreleased game.

Now, on to the games.

BIV

First off, the world premiers. (using IGN youtube links because they don't require you to sign in)

Far Cry: New Dawn

No way to talk about this game without spoilers for Far Cry 5. The game itself is a spoiler, but just in case

So at the end of Far Cry 5, Joseph Seed drops nukes across the country. New Dawn takes place 17 years afterwards in a post apocalypse Hope County.

Yes, they are re-using the map. Everything in it has changed, however. The $40 price point should chill some of the complaints.

Looks fun as Hell.

Hades

This is by beloved indy Supergiant Games who also made Transistor, Bastion and Pyre. In other worlds, they make cool shit.

Hades is an isometric, Rouge-lite action dungeon crawler. You are trying to escape from Hell. Fight. Die. Repeat.

Not my jam, but people are going to love this shit.

Survivors

This game has peaked my curiosity. Class/squad based space exploration survival game. From what I can tell, multiple squads on the same server can either work together or compete. The beta starts next year and you can sign up now.

https://scavengersgame.com/

Anthem

Got another look, this time focused on story. Bioware still trying to emphasize that it's story based despite being a shared-world game, ala Destiny.

It's more Anthem. We'll see.

The Outer Worlds

This, somehow, managed not to leak. It looks like Obsidian (Fallout 1&2, New Vegas) has decided to kick Bethesda a little. This appears to be the lovechild of Fallout:New Vegas and Borderlands with a smattering of Destiny and Firefly. From what they showed, it looks like it's open-world, first person and story based. 9/10 on the hype scale.

The Last Campfire

Wait....Hello Games has a new game? They are calling this a "short". Third person adventure game. Looks adorable. Couldn't be more different from NMS.

PubG

Yeah, yeah. Not-Fortnite has a new map. Whatever.

Atlas

First person, MMO pirate game from the creators of Ark. It's supposed to be massive. Thousands of players on a single server, or so they claim. Early access starts on Dec. 13th.

Pretty good write up here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/atlas-mmo/

The Dread Wolf Rises

Another Bioware game. This was just a teaser, but speculation is that it's tied to the Dragon Age franchise. That's about all we know.

The Pathless.

This looks cool. This indy seems to be a stylized run-and-gun with a bow and arrow and an Asian aesthetic. It looks cool and their last game, ABZU, is beloved. They have a good pedegre so I'm curious to se how this turns out.

Survived By

This is another Rouge-lite (might even be a full rouge-like) action adventure game. Not my genre so I'm not sure how big of a deal this is.

Stranger Things 3

Looks fucking terrible.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Joker Reveal

This was one of the hype moments of the awards. Somehow Joker from Persona 5 coming to Smash managed not to leak. Also not a game I play, but Smash fans are losing their shit over it.

They also announced Sayonara Wilds Hearts for Switch, The Stanley Parable: Ultra Delux, Among Tree, Ultimate Alliance 3 (big shock here is that it's a Switch Exclusive), Dead By Daylight's new chapter; Darkness Among Us, Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled (basically getting the crash trilogy/Spiro treatment), Dauntless for Console, Another look at Devil may Cry 5 and Psychonauts 2,

BIV

A few more reveals. None of these were surprises.

The Mortal Kombat 11 reveal was fun and the trailer is brutal, definitely worth a watch. Didn't tell us much about the game, though.

Got a new Rage 2 trailer.

This still looks like it will be fun. The same guys that made the Mad Max game

Journey to the Savage Planet

A lot of these type of games were shown. FPS, open world, in space. Looks cool, though.

We got the XBOX Ashen launch trailer:

More Crackdown 3 rediculousness

BIV

Some surprises about what WASN'T there.

No Dreams, No Metroid 4. No Superman or Rocksteady game. No Avengers game (other than Ultimate Alliance, but that's not the one everyone is waiting for). No Avengers Fortnite content. No Borderlands 3. Pretty sure I'm missing another one that supposed to be there as well.

BIV

You like indy games?

The Kinda Funny Games Showcase starts in 20 minutes.

60+ indy (and non-indy) games will be shown.

BIV

And that's how you do a showcase. 65 games in 70 minutes.

Last edited: