2018 Golden Globes Nominations

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
@LiddyRules has claimed that 2018 is the best year for movies since the last good year for movies. He listed a bunch of movies in some thread that I couldn't bookmark because we can't do that anymore I guess. Aside from Blackkkkkkkklansman, I don't seem to recall him listing any of these movies:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/golden-globe-nominations-2019-1203082075/

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
“Crazy Rich Asians”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Vice”

Best Motion Picture – Drama
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“If Beale Streat Could Talk”
“A Star Is Born”

Ok, I have questions - Why are Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born not listed as Musicals, but Green Book is?

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
@LiddyRules has claimed that 2018 is the best year for movies since the last good year for movies. He listed a bunch of movies in some thread that I couldn't bookmark because we can't do that anymore I guess. Aside from Blackkkkkkkklansman, I don't seem to recall him listing any of these movies:

“Crazy Rich Asians”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Vice”

“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“A Star Is Born”

Ok, I have questions - Why are Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born not listed as Musicals, but Green Book is?
I still say that this is a great year for movies even if I haven't mentioned most of these. Maybe they just like movies with B in the title. Also many of these haven't been released yet.

I don't get how Star is Born isn't a musical when movies with less music has earned that tag but I haven't seen it. Maybe Green Book is a comedy? I want to see Favourite and Vice. No interest in Bohemian Rhapsody or CRA.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

“Crazy Rich Asians”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Vice”

“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“A Star Is Born”

Looking over the full list of nominations, the only one I'm interested in is Isle of Dogs beating Incredibles 2 even though I thought Incredibles 2 was fine.

And the screwy thing is - if not for musical or comedy (where you can throw in whatever with a single song and get nominated, I think The Greatest Showman was nominated last year), it's hard to imagine Bohemian Rhapsody getting nominated even in a worse year. I checked and Ray and Walk The Line were both nominated as Best Musical/Comedy. If they wanted to honor gays in the drama category, why this and not Gay Camp? It's peculiar. Damned peculiar.

Last edited:

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Looking over the full list of nominations, the only one I'm interested in is Isle of Dogs beating Incredibles 2 even though I thought Incredibles 2 was fine.

And the screwy thing is - if not for musical or comedy (where you can throw in whatever with a single song and get nominated, I think The Greatest Showman was nominated last year), it's hard to imagine Bohemian Rhapsody getting nominated even in a worse year. I checked and Ray and Walk The Line were both nominated as Best Musical/Comedy. If they wanted to honor gays in the drama category, why this and not Gay Camp? It's peculiar. Damned peculiar.
Isle of dogs has no chance of beating Incredibles 2, but it doesn’t really matter because spider verse is going to beat both of them.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Isle of dogs has no chance of beating Incredibles 2, but it doesn’t really matter because spider verse is going to beat both of them.
But Isle of Dogs is a lot better than Incredibles 2. A lot.

I don't know about Spider-Verse winning though. Are the Golden Globes as ball lappy towards Pixar as the Oscars are?

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
But Isle of Dogs is a lot better than Incredibles 2. A lot.

I don't know about Spider-Verse winning though. Are the Golden Globes as ball lappy towards Pixar as the Oscars are?
I haven’t seen Incredibles 2, but I’m ready to believe you.

The Spider Verse reviews are absurd. Right now it’s the best reviewed movie of the year by quite a bit, and one of the best reviewed movies of the 2000’s.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Related

Stig

Making America So Great You Won't Believe It.
Jul 26, 2005
NH
So a Golden Globe is what...two steps below a Dundie?