2018 Golden Globes Nominations

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
@LiddyRules has claimed that 2018 is the best year for movies since the last good year for movies. He listed a bunch of movies in some thread that I couldn't bookmark because we can't do that anymore I guess. Aside from Blackkkkkkkklansman, I don't seem to recall him listing any of these movies:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/golden-globe-nominations-2019-1203082075/

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
“Crazy Rich Asians”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Mary Poppins Returns”
“Vice”

Best Motion Picture – Drama
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“If Beale Streat Could Talk”
“A Star Is Born”

Ok, I have questions - Why are Bohemian Rhapsody and A Star is Born not listed as Musicals, but Green Book is?

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Also, cue the outrage for Black Panther getting three nominations. It should have been more! It should have been less! Who cares?

jnoble

Lingering longer for a longering linger
Dec 4, 2005
New Jersey
Mary Poppins isn't even out yet, how is it a nominee?

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
Also, cue the outrage for Black Panther getting three nominations. It should have been more! It should have been less! Who cares?
Since BP and BK are both nominated, the votes will likely get split. Should have just went with one of the two.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Whether he liked it or not is irrelevant. What's important is that as a white person he can now speak on behalf of black people about how they feel about movies. That's the gift Black Panther provided all of us.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
Whether he liked it or not is irrelevant. What's important is that as a white person he can now speak on behalf of black people about how they feel about movies. That's the gift Black Panther provided all of us.
Was this a famous Piggy/Liddy fight?

I found the movie patronizing to black people. Does that put me on one side or the other?

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Please tell me you aren't referring to Michael B Jordan's character? Because it's one of the worst performances I've seen in a while.
Not the performance as much as the villain's motivations and back story.

But I thought his performance was "fine".

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Was this a famous Piggy/Liddy fight?

I found the movie patronizing to black people. Does that put me on one side or the other?
I don't think @Pigdango and I fought about it. I thought it was fine, whatever. I'd put it below Rags, Fin, and Home. I think he was more critical of it than I was.

I'm more mocking everyone else. How Black Panther seemed to give hipster white people carte blanche to talk about how important it was and how groundbreaking it was for black people, but I feel that white people shouldn't talk about the black experience. Especially not based on a stupid comic book movie.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
Mar 22, 2006
Red Jacuzzi
I don't think @Pigdango and I fought about it. I thought it was fine, whatever. I'd put it below Rags, Fin, and Home. I think he was more critical of it than I was.

I'm more mocking everyone else. How Black Panther seemed to give hipster white people carte blanche to talk about how important it was and how groundbreaking it was for black people, but I feel that white people shouldn't talk about the black experience. Especially not based on a stupid comic book movie.
I wouldn't speak for black people but if I was black, I would not have been happy with how condescending it was.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I don’t know. I got really distracted during the third act when it suddenly dawned on me they were making an almost shot for shot remake of The Phantom Menace. I think until that point it was ok. But when I’m watching your black empowerment movie thinking of Jar Jar Binks...

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I saw Get Out, too!

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
I don’t know. I got really distracted during the third act when it suddenly dawned on me they were making an almost shot for shot remake of The Phantom Menace. I think until that point it was ok. But when I’m watching your black empowerment movie thinking of Jar Jar Binks...
Speaking of Star Wars, nothing for TLJ?!!!

Floyd1977

Nov 1, 2004
That was last fucking year. How about you look at a fucking calendar you fuck.
I though maybe it had missed a cutoff. Anyway, I hope it was realized that I was just trying to pointy stick the thread (yeah, I failed miserably.)

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Vice isn't out yet either.

No love for Blindspotting? That was better than KkKlansman (the only nominee I've seen), and it seems at least like an awards bait theme even without beating you over the head about it.