OpieRadio Logo
Anthony Cumia Show Logo
Jim Norton Logo

2018 Motorsports/NASCAR

Discussion in 'Sports' started by mr. sin, Nov 30, 2017.

1. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Named Grand Marshal for 60th Annual DAYTONA 500

http://www.daytonainternationalspee...11/Dale-Earnhardt-Jr-Named-Grand-Marshal.aspx

Dale Earnhardt Jr. is indeed returning to the DAYTONA 500, although in a different role than the previous 20 Speedweeks at Daytona International Speedway. Earnhardt, who has retired from Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series competition, will serve as the Grand Marshal for the 60th running of “The Great American Race” on Feb. 18, 2018.

Earnhardt, who will deliver the famous “Drivers, start your engines” command, won a total of 17 races at the “World Center of Racing” during his career from 1998-2017. The only drivers to equal or surpass in DIS victories are his father Dale Earnhardt (34), Tony Stewart (19) and Bobby Allison (17).

In addition to his DAYTONA 500 victories in 2004 and 2014, in other Monster Energy Series competition at DIS Earnhardt won both the Coke Zero 400 Powered By Coca-Cola and the Advance Auto Parts Clash twice and captured Can-Am Duel victories five times. He also won the PowerShares QQQ 300 and the Coca-Cola Firecracker 250 – both NASCAR XFINITY Series events – three times apiece.

Bud likes this.
  2. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

Field Set for 'The Clash' at Daytona

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/21739251/field-set-clash-daytona

Eligible drivers are:

2017 Coors Light Pole Award Winners (14)

• Ryan Blaney, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Chase Elliott, Denny Hamlin, Kevin Harvick, Erik Jones, Matt Kenseth, Brad Keselowski, Kyle Larson, Joey Logano, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., Martin Truex Jr.

Former Daytona 500 Coors Light Pole Award Winners (3)
    • Austin Dillon, Jimmie Johnson, Danica Patrick

2017 Playoff Drivers (3)
    • Kasey Kahne, Jamie McMurray, Ryan Newman

3. TreeFortRichard

4. maz

maz TRueWDTer

I could get to work pretty quickly in that
    Or maybe die in a horrific crash

5. Bud

Bud Bud

samurai likes this.
  6. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    Wackbag Staff

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT: MOORESVILLE, N.C. (December 8, 2017) - Richard Petty Motorsports (RPM) and Richard Childress Racing (RCR) announced today a new partnership between the two organizations. RCR will supply chassis and engineering support to the team. The RPM entry will receive horsepower from ECR Engines, the high-performance engine production, research and development subsidiary of RCR. With the transition, RPM will permanently move its team headquarters adjacent to the RCR campus in Welcome, N.C. The move will begin immediately and be completed by January.

"We've had a tremendous amount of success through our team partnerships over the past several seasons", said Richard Childress, Chairman and CEO of RCR. "To bring a storied organization like Richard Petty Motorsports on-board as an alliance partner is a win for each of our organizations."

The newly formed partnership will mean a switch in manufacturer for RPM and place 2018 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) driver and Sunoco Rookie of The Year contender, Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. behind the wheel of the all-new Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 when the iconic #43 hits the track for the first time in 2018 during Speedweeks at the Daytona International Speedway leading up to the 60th running of the Daytona 500.

RPM will remain an independent race operation, but the change allows for the team to collaborate with RCR. The move also unites two of the sport's most iconic teams and cars. RPM's #43 and RCR's #3 will now work together for the first time to push forward both organizations' goals of winning races and championships.

"This is our next chapter of Petty racing," said Richard Petty, co-owner, Richard Petty Motorsports. "We need to provide Bubba, Drew (Blickensderfer) and the rest of the team with the tools necessary to be successful on the track, and I feel strongly this is the best move for RPM, our partners and everyone involved with our team. Chevrolet has been a consistent winner in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series for a long time and we're proud to be a part of the GM family again. We feel we can immediately win with Chevrolet and our new alliance with RCR."

7. Bud

Bud Bud

Until they both switch to Dodge for the 2019 season. At least thats the rumor. RCR will be factory backed and the flagship Dodge team.

8. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

If that's true there's likely to be a big drop off of fans, especially fans that worship the 3.

mr. sin likes this.
  9. Bud

Bud Bud

Remains to be seen but I'm seeing it more and more. It would make sense with RPM coming on as basically a satellite. Announcement of Dodge returning and RCR being the flagship team supposed to be announced around Daytona. Just some of the rumors I've seen. Who knows. They very well could just be nothing more than rumors. Fans worshiped Dale's 3. Not AD's. I'm not one of the people who have a problem with him running the 3. I don't however like that its Dale's stylized 3. Years ago Childress said if he were to bring it back it would be an Earnhardt or his grandkids. But if it wasn't an Earnhardt he would change the style. He fibbed.

10. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

There are some fans that seem to choose being a Dale Sr. #3 fan as an identity, RCR has already put a black #3 on the track with his grandson driving it. I am a Dale Sr. Fan, but seeing AD in the car doesn't bother me, if it was a black #3 Dodge it's just the end of whatever it was. So be it. He owns the team, people seem to forget that RCR is in business to make as much money as possible. I watched my brother get put through the life grinder that is being a crew member in the cup series, it's brutal unless you're a big name. He killed himself earlier this year so my opinion might be a bit biased. I can still remember camping out on the esses at Riverside in the early 80s' for the races and him kind of deciding that's what he wanted to do. And he did.

11. Bud

Bud Bud

Sorry about your brother.

ysr50 likes this.
  12. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

I appreciate that, thanks. My point was some fans think that all these teams care about is winning, and winning is important, because if you're winning you make more money. The people that do the work behind the scenes, mechanics, fabricators, transport drivers, they jump from team to team. Longevity at one place is kind of rare, have a bad season and people are out of a job. Have a good season, they need to hire more people. If a person is part of the road crew, my brother was a fabricator/transport driver, they work on the car until the pit crew shows up on race day so they are away from home a lot and seem to get very little acknowledgement for their sacrifice and the team owners seem to look at them as pawns in the big game of chess. I rode with him in the hauler a few times and it was fun and I could see why he was proud and happy, I also remember calling him and waking him up and him asking me what city he was in.

13. Bud

Bud Bud

So I just saw that yahoo will no longer be running fantasy racing anymore.

14. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

Well that sucks.

15. Bud

Bud Bud

Yeah it does. I'm not surprised though. Ratings and attendance is down because interest in the sport is down. If people aren't watching they're not playing fantasy. I have noticed it seemed like the participation in all the racing leagues I was in was down. Their support of it has been waning in recent years as well. Although I think peoples interest in fantasy sports is down across the board. It was huge for a while. They had everything you could think of for fantasy at Yahoo. They've cut it way back. I used to play a ton of fantasy leagues. I cut out just about everything but racing and football. If we're going to keep the league going we'll have to check Nascar.com. I think they may be the only ones who still have one. ESPN did away with their's years ago. I used to like ESPN's because they had the Busch series as well.

16. Bud

Bud Bud

Did some research. Looks like the only option we'll have for next year is Nascar.com's fantasy and its a vastly different system than what Yahoo had all these years. Its 5 drivers instead of 4 and its salary cap based instead of starts based. With as few players we had at Yahoo in recent years, and people already had an account. Getting them to join an entirely new site with a completely different system, I think our fantasy racing league might be done. I'd still be interested in doing one even if its on Nascar.com but I don't know how many others would be.

17. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

Motorsports have lost their appeal to many people these days. Maybe it's an instant gratification thing, races take time, aint nobody got time for that!

18. Bud

Bud Bud

Thats a good point.

19. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

dont think nascar expected these comments in this post for kunt. best comment is "Hope be breaks both his legs in a crash at Daytona."

:haha7::haha7::haha7:

20. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

Aaron Rodgers Reportedly Dating Danica Patrick
    http://dailysnark.com/31150-2/

Sports may have it’s newest power couple.

According to Terez Owens, Packers QB is reportedly dating NASCAR driver Danica Patrick. The two were spotted on a “romantic dinner date” at Rodgers’ favorite Green Bay restaurant shortly after Christmas.

The 34-year-old Rodgers is coming off a longtime relationship with Olivia Munn, later revealed that she may have been at the root of the well-known tensions with his family. According to Joe Buck, he and Rodgers are still together.

Patrick herself is coming off a five-year stent with fellow NASCAR drover Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

At least one of them can complete a drive.

21. maz

maz TRueWDTer

22. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

23. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

24. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

austin dillon and the #3

25. Ballbuster1

Wackbag Staff

Bummer:

Englishtown’s Raceway Park To Close After 52 Historic Years

The Napoliello (Napp) family, owners of the fabled Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, New Jersey, confirmed today the rumors swirling regarding the future of drag racing activities at its 52-year old facility. Raceway Park, as it is known, one of the sport’s most historic and tradition-rich venues, will terminate all drag racing operations, effective immediately, while all other motorsports and entertainment events will continue as scheduled. According to credible sources, the Napoliello family has reached a long-term agreement to store vehicles for a notable automotive reseller/auctioneer on the property.

“Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, the Napp family owned and operated business announced today a reorganization of the company’s business operations. To achieve this goal, Raceway Park will no longer conduct quarter mile or eighth mile drag racing events effective immediately. Raceway Park will retain and use the “stadium” portion of the facility including the VIP hospitality tower and grandstands and continue most of its operations including the spring and fall auto swap meets, numerous car shows, both motocross racing and practice, kart racing, as well as drifting, a full schedule of road course activities, mud runs, monster truck shows, musical concerts, & festival events and more. The long standing Old Bridge Township Airport, owned and operated by Raceway Park will also continue to operate as normal.”

“The new reorganization reflects the company’s plan moving forward beginning in 2018 while allowing Raceway Park to still continue to operate as it has in the past with the exception of drag racing.

“The Napp family wishes to express their most sincere gratitude to the NHRA, and the many thousands of racers and fans, without whom would have never allowed Raceway Park to become the iconic and nationally recognized drag racing facility it has over the past five decades. The Napp family would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the employees that have served our drag racing customers so well over the previous years. It is with a great sadness that the Napp family is discontinuing drag racing, however the family looks forward to continuing to provide the best outdoor events in this new era of Raceway Park.

“The NHRA issued a statement of their own, commenting, “Yesterday Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, N.J. informed NHRA that it will no longer host any drag racing events at its facility, effective immediately. This includes the 49th Annual NHRA Summernationals, scheduled to take place this June.

NHRA drag racing events have been held at the track in Englishtown for almost 50 years,” said NHRA president, Glen Cromwell. “The Summernationals have played an important part in our heritage and we hope that fans in the area will try to make it to another one of our events. Our focus remains on making the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series a memorable experience for our fans, racers, sponsors, partners and tracks.”

http://www.dragzine.com/news/the-end-of-the-road-for-englishtowns-raceway-park/

mr. sin likes this.